Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1167 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 24 - 01:41am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows Vista /

Internet Explorer and Firefox stop loading pages and Wind...hutdown or restart 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Gene Basler Jan 27, 2009, 07:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Internet Explorer and Firefox stop loading pages and Windows Vista takes long to shutdown or res
Thanks for the reply.
Since last post I tried something. I had only disabled zone alarm, and the problem persisted. So I did an uninstall, and the problem hasn't come back in over a week. Fingers still crossed. Still using the Vista built in firewall, and now gunshy about a switch.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ronald Geiken Jun 18, 2009, 10:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Internet Explorer and Firefox stop loading pages and Windows Vista takes long to shutdown or res
Thanks for making this post. I have been using Zone Alarm for years, and never thought that this program could cause this kind of a problem. Will try removing it and installing comodo which I put on a friends computer last month. Worth a try, since I have had the browser stalling problems for quite a while now. If it works, will try reinstalling comodo on another friends machine.

Francois du Plessis Aug 17, 2009, 03:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 17, 2009, 03:26am EDT

I too have had the same problem. Using:
An HP 8530w laptop with windows vista business 32bit, SP2;
AVG Free up to date,
Spybot S&D up to date.

The problem only started in the last 3 / 4 months, and seems to occur with any of the 3 browsers I have installed (Firefox 3.5.2, Google Chrome and IE7): Browse for a while, then browse no more. The browser seems fine - just that websites won't load.

If I try do something like download a torrent through utorrent - it works just fine. (Is only port: 80 affected?)

So now I close the browser - File > Exit or click the X, and it closes. Restart firefox and I get the 'Firefox already open message'. Chrome and IE will open again but still not load pages.

Firefox cannot be terminated in my task manager - no matter how many times I try. Rebooting / Shutting down takes 10minutes, so I (unhappily) resort to a forced shutdown (hold in power key).

What I've done:

Updated my BIOS - this made no difference.

I've gone into my BIOS and disabled any ports / hardware I'm not using. Right after that I uninstalled ZoneAlarm (which was inactive since I got annoyed with it but never uninstalled it). Since doing these two things I have not had Firefox freeze on me. I suspect, due to other posts on the issue, that it might well be ZoneAlarm - but I'm not 100% sure what is going on. Pc seems fine for now.

This seems a very common problem and yet there is no obvious solution to it. Seems a bit hit and miss - for some people one thing works for some people another thing works.

Ronald Geiken Aug 17, 2009, 09:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got rid of Zone Alarm in June and installed Comodo instead, and have never had the problem with my browser stalling again, or not being able to restart it. For whatever reason, zone alarm seems to be incompatible with something that was evidently install in a Vista update. I had used Zone Alarm for years, and was reluctant to remove it, but Comodo has proven itself to be a good firewall, and am very satisfied with it. I also have Vista 32 bit O/S.

Francois du Plessis Aug 28, 2009, 06:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Update: Firefox continues to work. No problems.

Francois du Plessis Sep 17, 2009, 01:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Decided it was time for a firewall again. Installed Sunbelt Personal Firewall and got the same "Firefox already running..." message after a few days of installing it. The only reason I've not used Comodo (as suggested) is that it comes with Antivirus - & I'm quite happy with AVG Free Edition.

Is Comodo on par with AVG? Worth installing or shall I try a 3rd Firewall :~

Jehan Ghouse Sep 19, 2009, 05:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had this issue on my Dell Inspiron desk top that I purchased about a month ago. In fact when it happened within the first week of owning it, I returned the machine to the vendor and exchanged it for a new one. Same problems as described by all who have posted...IE stops working but e-mail & Skype work. When IE shuts down, no other program seems to work either. Finally, I also had difficulty shutting down. Through a process of elimination, I finally uninstalled Zone Alarm and so far (last 4 days) I've been doing fine. I am using Windows Firewall instead. I was a long time ZA user with XP prior to this. I am currently running the 64 bit Vista, but using the 32 bit IE8. I'll check back in a few days to report on the status...hopefully it will be good!

Ronald Geiken Sep 19, 2009, 07:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think that Comodo is a better firewall than the one that comes with Windows Vista, and ever since I installed it, I have had no problems with Firefox. You can also install Comodo without the Anti Virus, and that is how I have done it. I use Comodo with AVG 8.5 on my computer, and it works just fine, and I feel that I am well protected. I had used Zone Alarm for many years before the problems with Firefox surfaced, and going to Comodo solved it.

Jehan Ghouse Sep 27, 2009, 02:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, so far so good...since uninstalling Zone Alarm, I have had no recurrences of IE shutting down in the middle of a session and effectively disabling all other operations as well. I'm going to give it another week and install Comodo. In the mean time, I'm continuing to use the Windows firewall.

Does anyone know if ZA will be compatible with Windows 7?

Gene Basler Sep 27, 2009, 09:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 27, 2009, 09:58pm EDT

I believe I'm the original poster of this thread. By way of update: the machine in question is still running the Vista built-in firewall, and only IE is used. We no longer use Firefox on that machine, and so far the firewall has done the trick.

No problems since Jan 27th. That's 8 months. I'm disappointed that I stopped using both Firefox and Zone Alarm, because I like them both, but that's the brakes.

I still use Firefox exclusively on my XP machines. Furthermore, I moved and switched to ATT Uverse, which came with a firewall, so I guess this means I'm not using Zone Alarm at all anymore. I got a lot of mileage out of that firewall.

Zone Alarm, that is...

Ronald Geiken Sep 27, 2009, 10:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been using AVG 8.5, Comodo and Firefox 3.5.3 for the past couple of months, and am not having any hang up problems with Vista 32 bit. Getting rid of Zone Alarm seems to be the thing that cured the problem. I had used Zone Alarm for many years in the past, and it had seemed to work OK with Vista earlier in the year, but Microsoft must have made some kind of change in Vista that finally caused Zone Alarm to be a problem. I think that Comodo is a superior firewall to the one that Microsoft furnishes with Vista. Comodo is really a heavy duty product, and it is free, and seems to work great. I have never had any viruses on my computer using Zone Alarm and AVG, and that is continuing with AVG 8.5 and Comodo. I have Comodo and AVG 8.5 on both of my Vista comptuers, and one is 32 bit and the other 64 bit.

michael colbert Sep 23, 2010, 03:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am getting this same problem where firefox stops loading pages, But I do not have zonealarm, never did. All I have is microsoft security essentials and avast.

Seeing how you guys all deleted zonealarm and then were fine, it seems other things can cause this as well.

Ronald Geiken Sep 23, 2010, 05:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What version of Firefox do you have installed? They were having stability problems with Firefox 3.6.6, .7, .8, .9, and the latest version is 3.6.10. My previous posting was from about a year ago which proves that the problems never fully go away. I have 3.6.10 on my computer currently, and that is very stable and seems to be compatible with Vista just fine. I have Comodo Free installed and AVG Free also. I had problems recently trying to get Zone Alarm installed on a computer that I was working on, and the reason for the problem was that McAfee was still hanging around on the computer. If you have one of those paid for security programs installed on your computer, that could cause you problems.

James Dean Aug 05, 2011, 09:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A possible cause is security software (firewall) that blocks or restricts Firefox without informing you about that, maybe after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program. Remove all rules for Firefox from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox

Sunil Pawar Sep 25, 2011, 11:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Even I face a similar problem with all the browsers on my machine. After browsing for 5-6 minutes, pages stop loading. I cannot restart the browser again it says "firefox is already running". It happens with all the browser whether its firefox, IE, chrome, safari, opera etc. have the same problem on my machine. When I try to kill the process in the task manager under process tab, it won't let me do that. The only option to end that process is to reboot the machine.

I even tried to disable all the add-on, extensions, and also try to disable the firewall temporarily. And also unistall the flash player and Active X but no luck, issue still persist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

Ronald Geiken Sep 26, 2011, 01:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Since I posted that message, I have moved on to Windows 7, and the problems outlined by me no longer apply. W7 is working great, and that is probably the best way to go at the moment to update to that if you want to keep the computer very much longer. I had forgotten about the problems that I had with Vista, and no longer have any of them with W7. Sorry that I can't be of any further help.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.