Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1277 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 05:53am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Ray-tracing, the PC's next killer-app?

Re: Ray-tracing, the PC's next killer-app? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
angryhippy Aug 28, 2008, 10:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Re: Ray-tracing, the PC's next killer-app?
Hello Rob. Welcome to the madness that is HWA!

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
SombaSan Sep 08, 2008, 09:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hmm this is a rather interesting read, i personally always pondered the day, Flims like Ice age II, and Monsters.inc would be come realtime playable games. I've heard, but never looked into Ray-tracing till you posted the article Sassen, good read. I remain optimistic I'm sure we will see Nvi, and Ati making moves soon if they are not already implemented to start moving toward this next gen of realtime games.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM
"The Best Intel Chip is an AMD"
Travis Rich Sep 12, 2008, 07:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 12, 2008, 07:49pm EDT

The thing to remember is Ray tracing will scale perfectly in multithreaded applications. More cores, more power. With both cpu's and gpu's moving increasingly in the direction of parallelism(always the case with GPU's really, but more recently in terms of programmability and accessible processing units), and physics add on cards, further emphasizing the move to parallel processing. I believe that Moores Law, is gonna start looking a tad bit antiquated.

My point is, I think ray-tracing is already further along than you believe. That is.. with hardware that wasn't designed for it.

http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/papers/i3dkdtree/gpu-kd-i3d.wmv

Knowing how parallel the ray tracing process is, i think its quite believeable that a ray-tracing GPU will burst on the scene much like Voodoo graphics cards took games like Descent, and made them run 10 times faster, at 2-4 times resolution, nearly over-night. Even if it doesn't happen like that, I think cpu speed and core growth, if not a combination of cpu/gpu/'Physics"pu, will make it a realization sooner.

I don't believe its 10 years out. Maybe 10 years out on a CPU, maybe. But, not for a graphics card. Not for anyone who wants to design the silicon to take advantage of the parallelism. IMHO.

B Oct 16, 2008, 11:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you guys are predicting 8-10 years before the hardware is capable of performing real-time ray-tracing then it is gonna take 15+ years before game developers start implementing ray-tracing into their games. Coding a game which fully utilizes 10+ cores is easier said then done.

Ray-tracing is definitely and interesting thought for the future of graphics rendering in games.

Good article Sander.

Gerritt Oct 18, 2008, 01:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Brendan Gonsalves said:
If you guys are predicting 8-10 years before the hardware is capable of performing real-time ray-tracing then it is gonna take 15+ years before game developers start implementing ray-tracing into their games. Coding a game which fully utilizes 10+ cores is easier said then done.

Ray-tracing is definitely and interesting thought for the future of graphics rendering in games.

Good article Sander.

Brendan, the GPU market is proving most of the nay-sayers wrong.
Even if you can't deal with some of the things that are necessary by SW of the HW....there are ways to scale the proper analysis.

No matter who or what say's the best is right now, the issue is that the more threads that the GPU can do, will make for a better system. Intel seems to be focusing on this consolidation.

If they are, then I think they are wrong. At least for now.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Ray Benjamin Feb 06, 2009, 07:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Rasterization is just the final step in rendering an image to the screen. It's not really a technology itself. Ray-tracing is a time-consuming method of creating a scene. I suspect it's more likely that elements of ray-tracing and photon mapping technologies will be added to the current suite of techniques employed by video cards, but there's no telling how long that will take. It will probably be faster than you think.

Hollywood seems to like the gaming video technology just fine. There are now movies being rendered by nVidia hardware.

About the only thing I know for sure, is that it will be fun to watch.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.