Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1344 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 20 - 07:37am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / HWA Community /

Looking for a job as a student... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Gerritt Oct 01, 2008, 08:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Looking for a job as a student...
Dilbert,
Go into the interview knowing absolutely everything you can find out about the company.
Have some product/project specific questions handy.
Find out what you can about the corporate environment. Check around the fora online to see if you can get in touch with a present employee, so you can ask some questions about his/her work experience.

Good Luck

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Scumbag Blues Oct 06, 2008, 01:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I did my first interview, and it could have gone better. It went very smoothly for the first 25 minutes, but then I got the dreaded pressure test. I was to write a simple program that would tell the user the value of any position of the Fibonacci Sequence. I did it all right, but I did it in Iterative form and the interviewer asked for recursive.

Then, when she asked why the Iterative was better than the Recursive and I blanked and yet, after the interview, I knew that I should have known it... :(

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Gerritt Oct 06, 2008, 08:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
DsL.Dilbert said:
Well, I did my first interview, and it could have gone better. It went very smoothly for the first 25 minutes, but then I got the dreaded pressure test. I was to write a simple program that would tell the user the value of any position of the Fibonacci Sequence. I did it all right, but I did it in Iterative form and the interviewer asked for recursive.

Then, when she asked why the Iterative was better than the Recursive and I blanked and yet, after the interview, I knew that I should have known it... :(

Well, I've not programmed in a while, make that a very long while, but I seem to remember that if you wanted a specific position, then the iterative approach actually ran with fewer cycles and temp space used as the sequence was kept within the registers (as long as the number sequence would actually fit a double width register/s), while the recursive approach actually had to write out the entire sequence which was then queried for the specific possition.

I'm stating this for my own edification as I'm not sure that would be the proper answer or not. I'm trying to learn.... yes, even an old dog can wonder......

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Scumbag Blues Oct 06, 2008, 10:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gerritt said:
DsL.Dilbert said:

Well, I've not programmed in a while, make that a very long while, but I seem to remember that if you wanted a specific position, then the iterative approach actually ran with fewer cycles and temp space used as the sequence was kept within the registers (as long as the number sequence would actually fit a double width register/s), while the recursive approach actually had to write out the entire sequence which was then queried for the specific possition.

I'm stating this for my own edification as I'm not sure that would be the proper answer or not. I'm trying to learn.... yes, even an old dog can wonder......

Gerritt

Yeah, that's exactly it. It's basically a massive waste of memory taking the recursive approach especially if the user decides to find the 1 000 000 000th number in the sequence.

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Gerritt Oct 07, 2008, 06:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 07, 2008, 06:28pm EDT

Thanks.
Now having cleared that up, it may be possible to support the recursive if the positional data is queried for multiple positions. So it really depends on the application and the number of queries against a single data set... yes?

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Gerritt Oct 07, 2008, 06:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
LOL,
The header in my tabs section is truncated to "Looking for a JOB as as Stud.."

:)
Good luck in that!

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Dr. Peaceful Oct 07, 2008, 11:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dude, why did you posted the job posting in here, what are you thinking?! Now half of HWA just applied for the job, not to mention the 1000+ anonymous guys! LOL ;) J/K. Not me, though, am no Avid Gamer. XD

Anyway, congrad for the interview. It's pretty tough that they actually asked you to code during the interview. Recursive or not you got the answer. Hope they hire you. Good luck!

Scumbag Blues Oct 08, 2008, 03:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gerritt said:
Thanks.
Now having cleared that up, it may be possible to support the recursive if the positional data is queried for multiple positions. So it really depends on the application and the number of queries against a single data set... yes?

This is true and it is *potentially* a feasible plan, but, with regards to the Fibonacci Sequence, where you need to know two values in order to initalize the algorithm, it probably wouldn't be worth the time.

So, in theory, it could work, but in terms of efficiency, iterative is the way to go since you don't need to muck around with initial values.

Is that what you're asking? I just came back from Calculus and my head is still hurting. :P

~

Gerritt Oct 08, 2008, 08:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm just wondering why she asked for the recursive method to begin with is all.

Ad Astra Per Aspera

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.