Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1228 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 22 - 01:26pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

ASUS Laptop won't turn on!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME~!!!!!! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Josh Crossley Nov 05, 2011, 09:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: ASUS Laptop won't turn on!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME~!!!!!!
somone needs to help us!!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jennifer Wyatt Nov 29, 2011, 12:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 29, 2011, 12:38am EST

"Crazy Coaster" posted this in July of 2010.
<<>> Re: ASUS Laptop won't turn on!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME~!!!!!!

<< This is a pretty simple trick that sometimes works with laptops.
I had one that was given to me as the owner had bought a new one because the old one wouldn't power up.
Remove the power supply, and then take out the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 to 30 seconds...then put the battery back in and plug the power supply in.
Now press the power button again, and that's it.
This worked on the laptop I was given, and a tech explained that there is sometimes some sort of residual charge built up somewhere that occasionally can prevent power up.
I not an engineer and don't know if this is the truth or not, but when I did it, it worked.

Just a thought on what worked for me. Don't hate.>>

I am telling you all: This worked!!! Thank you soooo much. Saturday, I was at a meeting, showed up all organized, and my dang lap top wouldn't start! Missed the boat there, but came home and found this wonderful post! Early Christmas present!!
Thanks!
Jennifer :)

Hajo Hensel Nov 29, 2011, 10:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi,
i've got a slightly different problem. The ASUS W5F Laptop of a friend gave up working and showed the following symptoms:
Try to switch on with battery only, nothing happens, probably the battery is eventually discharged by multiple tries.
Try to switch on with power supply attached - with or without battery: Power supply LED dims and flickers (or flashes regularly, I can't distinguish). The "Crazy Coaster trick" didn't work, Asus suspects a hardware fault either mother board or power board.
Does someone know more about this kind of fault?
Hajo

Krista Weinheimer Nov 30, 2011, 05:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've having a similar problem. I turned my laptop on but I needed to step away for a moment and I closed it, because I always close it when I walk away and it's just a habit, but when I re-opened it, it wouldn't turn on. Please at least tell me the hard drive with all its memory will be ok because there are some very important files on it.

Hajo Hensel Nov 30, 2011, 10:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi to Krista: First disassemble the hard disk (get some advice in the net or from Asus how to) and put it into a USB case, then copy it#s content to annother computer.
Hajo

leonard villanueva Dec 05, 2011, 12:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i accidentally cut off my power supply when my asus loptop is still on then when i re-open it my loptop wont power up the indicator lights on but it never boot up no sound none at all.. sometimes my loptop turn on but it is very rare to happen

plss help me any advice ......

Sally Phillips phillips Dec 13, 2011, 07:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also want to chime in to thank Crazy Coaster. I frankly was skeptical about this trick working, but work it did!! Thank you.:)

Norbel Marolla Dec 26, 2011, 04:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The motherboard in the ASUS laptop was replaced once while still under warranty. When it stopped powering on again we assumed it was the same problem and were going to send it in. A couple of months went by and I decided to discharge the battery just for the heck of it and it booted right up. We couldn't find the power cord. We used it a few times until the battery ran out. It was just fine. Purchased a new power cord, went to turn it on. Nothing. No lights, except for the light on the power supply. We removed the battery. Turned right on without the battery. This was yesterday. Today, won't turn on. No lights, except on the power supply. Won't turn on with or without the battery.

Needless to say, I'm completely baffled. Outside of what could possibly be going on. . . . would a motherboard problem act this way, work sometimes and not others?

Any help is appreciated!

Wil Mair Jan 13, 2012, 04:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a problem with my ASUS M51VR. While recently on holiday the computer was running and someone shut the unti and put it imediately into its carry case when we were going somewhere. As far as we can tell the computer wasn't shut down before this. About an hour or so later we tried to boot it up again and all we get is a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left however the tune that plays when 'ASUS' appears or the screen can still be heard. After a while the computer seems to reset itself and tries to start again with the same thing, blank screen but sound plays. If left on it cycles through this.
I've been looking online to find a solution, have tried holding the power button with battery removed and holding the resest button for over a minute as mentioned in earlier posts. I have also tried taking off the back cover to locate the BIOS battery but I can't even see a battery on this motherboard.
Can anyone tell me if the motherboard is fried on this or is there something else I can do to get it going again? I should add that I've been able to swap the hard drive into my M51VA without a problem so thats why I figure its motherboard related.
Please help someone.

olusegun yakubu Jan 19, 2012, 05:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Initial each time i ON my laptop,it displays bad battery and it won't charge. The next day when i press the power button it does not power on but the battery light LED will only blink for about 3 seconds and when the battery is removed and the laptop is connected to the Mains,it doesn't power on neither but the Power LED beside the power jack plug in the laptop will only light on and off after about 3 seconds. I tried all the "trick methods" analyzed in the post but all to no avail. I also discovered that whenever i leave the laptoptop still connected to the Mains(DC adapter), the battery LED will flash again and stop and after some while it will flash again. (i tried another DC adapter of the same type of laptop,i removed the memory modules and the HDD no changes ) is the bad battery the cause of this? Or what do you think might be the prolem? I believe a laptop should power ON even without battery but why is mine not doing so. Pls, help me out.

Jennifer Wyatt Jan 19, 2012, 12:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It sounds like you need a new battery. How old is it? My partner has had battery issues- the computer tech said that they need to be replaced every year or two, they just don't last. If you get more life out of it than that, it's a bonus.
BUT DO NOT BUY A BATTERY FROM BATTERY WORLD. Nightmare. They sent the wrong battery, then wouldn't take it back, told us it would work just fine, just use it. We refused to do that as our tech (who we should have bought the battery from) said, don't use it, you could damage your computer. We had to send that battery back to China (this was BATTERY WORLD's procedure) at a cost of $46 shipping. Pay pal has given us the refund for the battery, but we will probably not see that shipping money.

john albrich Jan 19, 2012, 01:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wil Mair said:
I have a problem with my ASUS M51VR. While recently on holiday the computer was running and someone shut the unti and put it imediately into its carry case when we were going somewhere. As far as we can tell the computer wasn't shut down before this. About an hour or so later we tried to boot it up again and all we get is a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left however the tune that plays when 'ASUS' appears or the screen can still be heard. After a while the computer seems to reset itself and tries to start again with the same thing, blank screen but sound plays. If left on it cycles through this....

Wil, I'd first try booting a diagnostic CD like freeware/donateware UBCD and running basic motherboard, CPU, and memory tests (if you get that far). It's easy, free, and may provide useful info. You may have to change some BIOS/CMOS settings to ensure your notebook first tries to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_d4981.html
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/download.html <---DOWNLOAD PAGE
http://mrbass.org/ubcd/ <-----------------------DOWNLOAD PAGE (alternate)
ver 5.1.1 MD5=3d35afcc9150d99fb67cc3c9fe4e6b75 20110808 ubcd website

Wil Mair Jan 21, 2012, 08:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 21, 2012, 08:45pm EST

Thanks for the advice John
I'll give it a go. Not sure if it'll work as I can't remember if the computer is set to boot from CD first, but, I should mention again, I can't get to the BIOS screen. The laptop will play the little jingle it has when the name ASUS pops up on screen which is the BIOS screen, BUT, the ASUS image doesn't come up, I just get the jingle and a blank screen. I'll try this program though and let you know how I get on.

olusegun yakubu Jan 22, 2012, 05:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@Jennifer,i am very grateful for your response towards my request. My laptop and the battery is just 2 years and about 3 months old. I would try to get a new battery as you have said. And i was afraid when a friend told me it might be the motherboard. Thanks very much,i would give you a feedback after getting a new battery and the state of the laptop.

James McMaster Jan 24, 2012, 05:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Crazy Coaster said:
This is a pretty simple trick that sometimes works with laptops.
I had one that was given to me as the owner had bought a new one because the old one wouldn't power up.
Remove the power supply, and then take out the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 to 30 seconds...then put the battery back in and plug the power supply in.
Now press the power button again, and that's it.
This worked on the laptop I was given, and a tech explained that there is sometimes some sort of residual charge built up somewhere that occasionally can prevent power up.
I not an engineer and don't know if this is the truth or not, but when I did it, it worked.

Just a thought on what worked for me. Don't hate.

Just had same problem and this worked. Thank you

Stephanie Rennolds Feb 03, 2012, 12:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So, I had the exact same problem about a week ago - computer did random flashing lights but wouldn't power on, then refused to power on at ALL - so I called my tech guys, as my laptop is still under warranty. They told me to do as Crazy Coaster suggested, so I did. This had my laptop working and I was so excited!

Only to have it stop working again 2 days later. Now, that little trick won't work. I'd left it sitting for three days before doing it the first time, and it was fine. It was literally just this morning that it stopped working. I figured it was the over-charge problem, as I spaced last night and left it on and plugged in when I went to sleep, but no dice.

I'm not getting any lights when I plug it in, press buttons, or anything. Please, help, I need this laptop for work and I am freaking out!

Jennifer Wyatt Feb 03, 2012, 12:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 03, 2012, 12:20pm EST

Hi.... how old is your computer? Could be that it needs a new battery, is all... was told they last one to two years, and that any more life out of it is a gift... Good luck, hope you get it going. (frustrating!) :-(

Stephanie Rennolds Feb 03, 2012, 01:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Only a month old. See why this is frustrating?

Norbel Marolla Feb 03, 2012, 01:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Norbel Marolla Feb 03, 2012, 01:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I posted what happened to us up above. The first time seems to be just like your scenario and it was the motherboard when the laptop was just over a year old and they did replace it no charge even though it was out of warranty. This time I'm just in the process of trying to get it to them to at least have them tell me what's wrong with it, even if it's not worth replacing the motherboard. I will not buy another ASUS product, certainly not a laptop. That the motherboard would die after 12 months and then again 6 months later is just a little bit too unpredictable for me. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad that is more than four years old and runs great -- not as super-fast as when I first got it, but still great. That's the kind of product I expect when paying $1500 or more for a laptop.

Please let me know what happens with yours. I appreciate it.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.