Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1509 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 02:46am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Intel's Core i7, is it ever enough?

Everyone likes more speed 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Radomir Jordanovic Jan 13, 2010, 03:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Everyone likes more speed
Well, one could buy that whole PC t hat u64 has for about $20. I recently bought a 2.7GHz Celeron whole PC with a monitor and everything for $28. Not even a modern AMD system can be that cheap.

Silverstone 750W, Asus P5KC, C2 Q6600, 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600
ATI HD 4850 512MB, 1TB Caviar. 1TB Seagate
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
u64 Jan 14, 2010, 08:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> (i was waiting for this to come up, hehe)
Hi G. G.,
Notice the price tag on my machine, Zero . It was on it's way to be recycled. But
my Duron 700 had recently been blown away by lightning. My apertment isnt
grounded, as i found out. It's fixed with a long cable from the kitchen now.
And my Duron 1100 has a heat issue from my failed case mod :P

Actually i have two more Intel in use. The P2 350 256M is my W2003
NAT, DNS, DC++ and File server.
And a P2 300@333 384M XP for heavy testing.

A friend of mine moved a while ago and tossed away a fixable Intel 2,2GHz. Damn.
Since i dont see any good games released anymore i dont feel any need to pay
for hardware. Just keep me updated better when people move.

Oh, i might get a broken, extremly expensive Alienware laptop, see if it's fixable...

P4 1700 256k SSE2 256M-800MHz Geforce3 200/460 128bit 64M SystemIdle:99W 0

100G 8M
D: FAT16 64k Pagefile Evt
C: NTFS 4k 32bit TweakedXP3Pro (boots in 16s)

80G 8M
E: FAT16 64k Pagefile Evt
F: NTFS 4k
dark41 Jan 14, 2010, 08:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
G. G. said:
...you might as well throw in a mullet hair du and a GMC Pacer with it too..... lol

You meant AMC Pacer? Those things were strange. I have a friend who long ago dropped a 426 Hemi into an AMC Gremlin. That was fun, trying to keep the front wheels on the ground. His brother bought a new ACM AMX. Talk about fun, like driving a go cart on the streets.

God I'm old! :)

EX38-DS5
E8500@4.0GHz (445x9, 1.40v) TRUE Black
Corsair HX620W
2x2gb Kingston HyperX 9600
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
2X1TB F1s (RAID 0) XP Pro/Win7 Ult 64
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1
G5, Antec 1200
Suspended User Jan 14, 2010, 10:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
u64 said:
Hi G. G.,
Notice the price tag on my machine, Zero . It was on it's way to be recycled. But
my Duron 700 had recently been blown away by lightning. My apertment isnt
grounded, as i found out. It's fixed with a long cable from the kitchen now.
And my Duron 1100 has a heat issue from my failed case mod :P

Actually i have two more Intel in use. The P2 350 256M is my W2003
NAT, DNS, DC++ and File server.
And a P2 300@333 384M XP for heavy testing.

A friend of mine moved a while ago and tossed away a fixable Intel 2,2GHz. Damn.
Since i dont see any good games released anymore i dont feel any need to pay
for hardware. Just keep me updated better when people move.

Oh, i might get a broken, extremly expensive Alienware laptop, see if it's fixable...

heavy testing? lol I'm sure

G. G. Jan 17, 2010, 08:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dang.... one thing i dont like about threads in articles is that they dont show up in the regular form listing..... hard to know if there are new posts unless you actually have to go directly to the thread inside of the article.... oh well.....

u64......

I think you need to change your statement of AMD being the best bang for the buck...... because in your case, it is OBVIOUS that INTEL is the best bang for the buck... LOL

Hey dark,

yeah I meant to say AMC... eheheheh

when I was in high school, in my town there was a 73 Chevrolet Vega with a v8 and high rised with monster tires... lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
dark41 Jan 18, 2010, 10:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
'Scuse me if I get a bit off-topic on this old thread but...

Ah... those were the days. I was a bit of a Mopar freak in the late '70s to mid 80s ('70 AAR Cuda, '70 Hemi Cuda, '68 Coronet (318), '72 Satellite (383 police interceptor), '71 Charger (340)). I think that's all of them.

My 1st car was '65 GTO with 389 and Hurst pistol grip high rised 4 speed. I paid $400 for that car from a friend. It has a smashed front left quarter panel, that I found at a junk yard for $50. Then I slapped a set of Mickey Thompson low profiles on it and raced everything I could find in San Diego and never lost a race (1976-1978). Left it sitting on the street in San Diego when the front end fell apart (too many wheelies, the only Goat with a folding front end so it did donuts around a quarter, but extremely hard to find parts for). Used to bet my friends a 6-pack of beer that they couldn't touch the dash when I said go, hit the gas and pop the clutch and say go, and never lost a bet either. ;) Still brings a tear to my eye remembering how I let that go, but I was sticking all my Marine Corp pay checks into it as it was. Its the 1 car I never should have parted with, for the collector's value if nothing else.

But my baby, was a '73 Pontiac Lemans GT Sport Coupe. Came with a 350 and 3sp manual on the floor. I dropped a 425HP 396 and Muncie M21 Rock Crusher in it. Went pretty good but too heavy to be a serious race car. Handled like a Trans Am around corners though. I put high rise intake on it and customized the shaker hood scoop, molded the wheel wells, and built my own aluminium rear spoiler. I swear, every time I got it minted out some idiot would run into it, at red lights, in parking lots, etc.. Just wasn't meant to keep that one cherry, but had sentimental value because of all the work I put into it. :~

Guess I've always been addicted to speed to some degree. Now I just play race games on the PC (currently NFS Shift). :)

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
Radomir Jordanovic Jan 18, 2010, 10:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Being 23, I am getting into relatively new cars. I have a couple mid-90s Bonnevilles that bring some game. One is naturally aspirated but is being rebuilt into the most awesome thing ever, maybe doing low 12s in the 1/4 mile in all its 2-ton, leather, 4dr glory. :cool:

dark41 Jan 19, 2010, 10:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Hemi Cuda did 1/4 mile in 9.6s @142MPH. That was stock except for the rubber. The AAR was just over 10s, but not stock. Never timed the GTO, but pretty sure it would have been around the same as it topped out at 125MPH in just over 1/6 mile, and that was far from stock too obviously. When I said that the Lemans was too heavy to be a serious race car, those are the cars that I think of. It ran right at 11s, but I didn't consider anything much over 10s a serious race car.

The exception was the Satellite which was geared for top end. I had it over 165MPH, but when the front end started bouncing on the road I backed off as that was a bit scary to me. It always had too much wheel hop for a 1/4 mile car, with both ladder bars and traction bars on it, but made for some great smoke shows until it would bust a U-joint from bouncing. I used to carry a half dozen U-joints with me in that car, just in case... and could reset the points at any given red light with a match book. Ah, the memories. :)

My son has a Silvia that he's built up to look nice (body kit, paint, etc.) but its slow. He's now considering getting a Skyline R34 GT-R to build for speed. I'm still partial to the American big block muscle cars, but this might be a fun project. :)

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
Radomir Jordanovic Jan 19, 2010, 10:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, I doubt you'd be running a 9-sec with FWD. :) But yeah, the American large engine cars are amazing. The Sylvia is more of a video game-inspired car. I used to have a Nissan that was a daily driver, and it was so slow that sometimes I walked!
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

You do definitely have some amazing car history! Keep it up!

G. G. Jan 21, 2010, 11:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
oh Mopars... I grew up in a mopar oriented family.... in my senior in high school I had a 73 Plymouth Satellite with a 225 slant six with NO power steering... heheh.. she was a beast to stear at slow speed but surely built up my arms.. hehehe... I bought this thing for 600.00 bucks... it was painted yellow with the roadrunner hood scoop and the black roadrunner stripping down one side over the ceiling and backup the other side. Later after college, I installed a 383 from an interceptor... I tell ya... that was much better engine for the size/weight of this car...

My brother to this day loves the Challenger. He has a shop that he takes old mopar that just seems to destint for the junk heap to be squashed into a small metal box... and turn them into fine running vehicles and resells them. Currently he has a 71 (? i think) challenger that he has turn down all the way to the frame, put it on a rotisery, got back on the body, new engine and all... it is his project car. by the way it is a convertable, red with white top and interior...

But today... for me... those days are gone and only memories... I drive a 2010 Ford Escape (black) as my daily driver and I have a 1994 Mazda Miata (red w/tan interior) as my fun car. it only has 50k on the odo and garage kept from day 1. Also.... I do have a 88 Suzuki GSXR-750 if I want to go a tad fast....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
dark41 Jan 21, 2010, 11:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 21, 2010, 11:39am EST

Unreal!! My '72 Satellite didn't have power steering either. Well, it had a power steering pump that never worked while I owned it. Did wonders to keep my arms in shape too. I thought I was the only idiot on the planet to drive with a busted power steering pump. :)

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
Robert Eachus Jan 22, 2010, 01:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
All I can say is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4W7oZBhAJg I remember when this song first came out. It was one of a series of rock & roll comedy hits: The Chipmunks, Purple People Eater, Sunday Driving, My Friend the Witchdoctor, Ahab the Arab, and others.

dark41 Jan 25, 2010, 03:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
More evidence that the i5 750 is better bang for the buck than the Phenom X4 965:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3704&p=2

even though this article is meant to show comparisons for the i3, it shows very well that the AMD is outclassed by the Intel for memory performance. :)

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
u64 Jan 26, 2010, 08:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> still voting AMD
[giggle]
dark, finding it hard to let go of the i5 750 eh?

Todays Swedish Prices from the extensive price-comparison prisjakt.nu
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3704&p=12

(Left4Dead+FarCry2+CrysisWarhead) / SEK = BangPerBuck

Phenom2 X4 965 (126.1+53.0+81.4) / 1609 = 0.1619
i5 750 . . . . . . . . (130.1+71.7+83.3) / 1769 = 0.1612

The hidden costs of power-consumption. Unless you're sane and already have
a wind-mill or solar-panel or such :cool:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-13.html
Phenom2 X4 965 158W-idle 540W-load
i5 750 . . . . . . . . 145W-idle 495W-load

Motherboard prices two weeks ago show almost no difference nowadays. But
AMD mobos tend to support faster RAM... Perhaps skilled overclockers prefer
one over the other?

I guess it comes down to what kind of world we want to live in. One with MORE
competetive prices or LESS competitive prices. I suggest voting AMD with your
wallets for now.

P4 1700 256k SSE2 256M-800MHz Geforce3 200/460 128bit 64M SystemIdle:99W 0

100G 8M
D: FAT16 64k Pagefile Evt
C: NTFS 4k 32bit TweakedXP3Pro (boots in 16s)

80G 8M
E: FAT16 64k Pagefile Evt
F: NTFS 4k
dark41 Jan 28, 2010, 02:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
u64,
Why should I drop the i5 750? Every result I read, my own experience with the chip, and now even your own posts indicate that the i5 750 is by far better bang for the buck in that price point. You're really grasping for something legitimate to use as a valid argument, and failing miserably.

0.0007 difference in bang for the buck from that particular website, who once again doesn't take the time saved from the faster Intel into consideration. Again, not worth mentioning the difference in my opinion, and the faster Intel comes out on top for everything it does at stock speeds and overclocked. (The 15 750 has a LOT more overclocking room than a x4 965 as well). Until you find a source that takes the time saved into consideration, I'll disregard their conclusions as 20%-33% difference in speed is a LOT of time saved where you could be doing other things or more of the same thing. To not factor that into any formula used for calculating bang for the buck is just stupid. And seriously, if you can't find something with a decent difference (0.0007 for christ's sake), why even post it?

Those power consumption figures are totally misleading too, even though you showed the i5 750 using less power both at idle and under load , which completely blows that argument out of the water. In case you don't understand what that translates to in real life, allow me to prove a point:

I run a power meter on every system we build (helps check for faults). The only systems that draw 145w at idle from the wall are those that use large video cards.

I have an i5 750 sitting right next to me, with 2x2GB 1333MHz memory and an EN9500GT 1024mb in it. All power saving features on the motherboard and OS are disabled. Its drawing 85w from the wall at idle, and 90w from the wall while running Prime95 on all 4 cores (that's a whopping 5w difference in real time power consumption). It draws 130w from the wall running 3dmark06, because video cards use much more juice than CPUs do.

So where's the 145w at idle and 495w under full load? Not actual power consumption obviously. This system has a Corsair 450w PSU in it, so wouldn't even run under load if your figures were stating actual power consumption, but they aren't.

FYI, the AMD x4 965 would have about identical results in actual power consumption with the same hardware (whatever motherboard you care to use, same vid card, and memory).

So if you're not informed enough to understand what those specs mean, no biggy. But trying to imply to anyone else that they'd make any difference in real life just makes you look ignorant. The biggest reason CPU manufacturers are going to less voltage (90nm, 45nm, etc.) is because of the less heat produced which allows them to load more onto the chip and run faster. It has nothing to do with how much electricity they draw from the wall, as that hasn't changed enough to mention from the Pentium 4 days.

I already covered the motherboard price issue. If all you want is the cheapest solution with virtually no options, then an AMD motherboard has a slight advantage now. You can get a lesser performing motherboard and x4 965 for less money than a bottom of the line Intel i5 board with 750. And you'll have a 20% to 33% slower system for slightly less money. But once you start adding options, they are about identical for pricing. Personally, I'd never build nor use a motherboard that doesn't supply E-SATA and now USB 3.0 and SATA 3, which eliminates any advantage that cheap AMD boards provide. I can get both for around $100AUD, which puts the emphasis back on the performance rather than the money saved by either solution.

Everyone reading this thread appears to see the better value of this particular Intel over this particular AMD chip, except you. As I said before, if you want to support AMD to keep them alive and create competition, by all means go for it. No one can fault the decision to support competition. But nothing you've posted yet supports your claims that the x4 965 is better bang for the buck than the i5 750. All the benchmarks show that the i5 750 outperforms AMD's best CPU, for the same price. And now your own stats show that the i5 does so while using slightly less power.

What it really boils down to is whether you want to support AMD to help keep them alive, or if you want the best performing CPU in that price bracket (which is Intel's i5 750). :)

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
Uleric Stormbringer Feb 24, 2010, 07:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sander Sassen said:
That's in 90% of the case due to a (heavily fragmented) harddisk, and has nothing to do with the processor, motherboard etc.

Sooooooooooo not true.

It is more to do with RAM and FSB than anything else.

Better architecture = better components = faster loads.

Chrome is case in point. Chrome is as lightweight of an internet browser as they get. But try to load it on a freshly defragged HD, on a computer with 256mb RAM and a Pentium 90 CPU. Yeah, 30 minutes later.

Now toss that at an i7 with 8gb of RAM. Instant on. Even with a highly fragmented drive.

What I want to see is my R models completing in 1 hour rather than 1 day. That is why we need progress. I can solve far more of the worlds issues faster this way.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.