Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1800 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 23 - 06:36am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

How to reste Toshiba L300 bios password 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Donna Dean Sep 14, 2010, 02:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: How to rest Toshiba L300 built-in HDD user password

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Donna Dean Sep 14, 2010, 02:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: How to reste Toshiba L300 bios password
This worked for me as well and it did reset the BIOS password however I am now getting prompted for the built-in HDD User Password and wondered how to clear this as well?

Donna Dean Sep 14, 2010, 02:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No such luck for me by hitting the space bar to reset the HDD password. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Gene Cappel Dec 08, 2010, 09:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Lester, thanks so much for this excellent post. I'm a laptop tech with a legitimate business, and I sometimes get customers that bring in a laptop with a bios password. If they can prove ownership, I now can help them! Thanks again.

Larry Oh Mar 28, 2011, 02:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 28, 2011, 02:56pm EDT

Lester Escobar, thank you very much. Worked fine. Slightly different MB layout on my L305D-S5900. The B500 jumper is there and clearly marked. Just further left. Saved me a lot of (preconceived) hassles. Took me longer to register and reply to the right post than it did to fix it!

Jacobo de Pedro Mar 31, 2011, 09:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 31, 2011, 09:25pm EDT

Hi!

I'd like to thank Lester Escobar for his help for removing the BIOS password. I had been asked to try to "repair" a Toshiba L300 whose owner wasn't able to use it at all because he was getting asked for the boot password every time (he didn't remember setting a boot password, so he figured out that someone may had done it without his permission...). After following Lester's instructions, the boot password was not being asked anymore (so we could now enter the BIOS setup again), but the laptop kept asking for the built-in HDD password in order to boot. It asked for this password no matter you were trying to boot from a CD, a removable media or the HDD itself, but after removing the hard drive, it (of course) did not ask for the HDD password anymore.

And here is my little trick for those being asked for the HDD password (it worked for me on a L300 laptop -it seems that the 'joker' who set a boot password to this laptop did also set a password for the HDD-, but I have no idea if other models or marks would behave the same way):

1) Turn your laptop off.

2) Remove the hard drive (you'll see its cover at the bottom of the laptop, next to the cover of the memory modules).

3) Turn your laptop on and insert a bootable CD (a Windows installer, a Linux live-CD or whatever you want).

4) After the computer has found the boot device (that is, the CD you have inserted) and while it is trying to boot / booting from it, connect back again your hard drive WITH THE LAPTOP RUNNING (it sounds scary... but I did it several times with no trouble).

5) Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to reboot your laptop (do not turn it off and then on; just reboot it or exit from the Windows/Linux installer that you were booting), take the bootable CD out of the drive as soon as the laptop tries to boot again and finally let it boot from your HDD... as it has always done.

6) And now the bad news: this trick doesn't remove the HDD password. It only passes the HDD password check by, so you will be asked for the password again whenever you turn your laptop on from zero (but it doesn't ask for it if you just reboot or boot from standby).

At least, this trick lets you back-up your documents (or the entire disk) and move them to a new HDD (as you can see, you'll have to change your hard drive anyway)...

olalekan olajubu Jun 25, 2011, 05:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Actually i didn't get it all especially the short circuiting thing,How do i do that i really need ur help

Becky Christensen Aug 14, 2011, 10:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Donna Dean said: [quote][/quote]

Becky Christensen Aug 15, 2011, 12:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
biniam ansaw said:
I Got a Toshiba pro L300 laptop for some reason it came with its own head ache "the bios power on password" which i don't know and i am hoping to pass through it with your help so tell me what to do people and thank you in advance.

oh by the way i tired to remove the cimos battery and reinstoled it the password is still there i also thought of using the loop back method but it ant applicable for this model.

Help!!

Randy Kerley Aug 23, 2011, 07:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 23, 2011, 07:32pm EDT

This worked!!!!! I had tried everything. I completely disassembled this machine, desoldered the cmos battery let it set overnight, then reassembled it, and the password promt remained. Called Toshiba $256.00, then found this post. SHAZAMM!!!!!

I cant thank you enough Lester Escobar

short the B500 solder pads people

Paul Willis Aug 26, 2011, 10:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: How to reset Toshiba L300 bios password
Thanks for that. Repairing my niece's lappy. I couldn't get it with a screwdriver blade so I soldered it. Perfect.
Now I've an HDD problem of some sort - booting from a linux cd I can mount 2 partitions but not the Vista one. I'm putting off a reformat till repair options are exhausted. Vista, even in safe mode BSODs after loading drivers. I've a win7 repair disk that gives me a blank screen with working mouse pointer and lots of HDD activity. I'm just letting that run for now in case it's doing something...

Paul

JD Maldonado Oct 25, 2011, 09:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: How to reset Toshiba L300 bios password system password

Step 1. Remove the cover from the location where the RAM is installed.
Step 2. Locate two small soldered points next to three printed XXX's on the PC Board.
Step 3. Lay the Laptop on its back so you have access to the bottom opening and are able to press the on button.
Step 4. Short across the two solder points with a wire and press the On button..... short the wire for five seconds.... and allow the computer to initiate.

Paul Willis Oct 31, 2011, 01:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Disk never recovered. Smart data warned me of immanent failure which then happened! Got cheap new one from eBay and put Ubuntu on it. Niece still seems quite happy after 3 months.

mindy mcginnis Mar 20, 2012, 11:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have tried shorting the b500 but when I hit the power button to turn in on while doing so, my screen doesn't turn on. can someone please tell me what I'm not doing right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Graham Goater May 22, 2012, 03:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@Mindy - did you make sure you put one of the memory modules back in? I originally forgot to do this per Lester Escobar's instructions and like you, I got a blank screen. I put one of the memory modules back in, shorted the B500 and hey presto - BIOS password removed.

I tried this a couple of times. I would add that if the blue bios screen does appear, switch off and switch on again and make sure you have properly shorted the B500. I ended up using a flat screwdriver head. Job done.

Lester Escobar's routine is brilliant.

Graham, UK

Graham Goater May 22, 2012, 03:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@Lester Escobar - I just wanted to say a big 'thank you' for your instructions. Perfectly clear and a tidy solution.

All the best,
Graham G, UK

Belayneh Arega Jun 06, 2012, 09:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 06, 2012, 09:07am EDT

>> B500 solder points location in Toshiba L300 all models
could any one show me a location in picture B500 solder points on Toshiba Satellite L300-(unknown) ?

Eadoin Colonis Sep 28, 2012, 01:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 28, 2012, 01:10am EDT

MOHAMED ISMAIL Feb 22, 2014, 03:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you so much... It worked well. .. I applied this for a customers laptop given for the service.

madhur taneja Feb 20, 2015, 05:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 20, 2015, 05:43am EST

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.