Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1147 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s June 19 - 12:48pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Flight Simulator 10......Or FSX to peeps in the know! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Next >>
Joshua Marius, LeThe Jun 08, 2009, 12:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Flight Simulator 10......Or FSX to peeps in the know!

Oh they are :) The Rudder pedals are on the way too. Can't wait to get those.
My flying has improved noticeably and I was reading some real pilot's comments on the essence of the pedals and how much more realistic everything gets once you have the Yoke and Pedals.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Joshua Marius
http://www.letheonline.net
-----------------------------
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Intel SSDSC2CW180A3 180 GB
RAID 1: Seagate ST3750528AS 750 GB
CORSAIR Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
TamTheBam Jun 08, 2009, 01:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 08, 2009, 01:25pm EDT

I've had it with this game. Poor coding. My card can run this no problem.
But I feel this game is just too buggy. I've seen more complex games that are
more smoother and responsive. FSX is 3 years old now. SP2 just didn't do any justice.
Another thing that really annoys me, is the CPU usage. I've monitored this and at times
all 4 cores are at 100% hence the choppy framerates. When I play this MICROSOFT
game it's like a fookin prime benchmark on my system. I've never seen any game in
my history of gaming get all 4 cores running like this. Not even crysis.
I'm even getting artifacts. Again no other game gives me artifacts.

This game in my opinion is poorly done. Take a look at HAWX. I know hawx is
not a sim, but by fook this game is eye candy, and so slick compared to FSX.
FSX i think looks gorgeous to the eye when you're way up in the air.
On ground, eeewww it's a mess. It just goes to show what a game can be like when
it's DONE RIGHT!

I might just reinstall 2004. I can't be arsed with years old tech running pish on my
machine when it shouldn't!

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Plug & Play Jun 08, 2009, 01:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Yeah, I feel your pain Tam. Its getting bad reviews running wise compared to FS4 but when you tweak it...it does run well. Albeit not as good as it should even on my GPU. But make sure you are not running DX10 for a start as its nothing special.....

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
TamTheBam Jun 08, 2009, 01:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Yea DX10's defo not on. It's the CPU usage that's the main problem. And it's never been
looked at!

Joshua Marius, LeThe Jun 08, 2009, 02:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 08, 2009, 02:24pm EDT

It's super buggy. I gave up a while back on trying to get a better framerate. All my other games give way higher FPS in full settings. I've tried all the recommendations, tweaks, etc. etc. I am satisfied with the quality and at 20 FPS but wish I could get higher...oh well.

What is really annoying me is other buggy stuff. I was flying into Tampa International and as I was approaching, the tower told an A320 to hold on landing intentions as I was on final. He flew right past me and landed. Then I was going from La Romana/Casa de Campo to Punta Cana and the tower told me three times to change my heading within 5 seconds. They wanted left, then right, then more right.

Finally, some of the missions >:o They say land here...I do...nothing happens. Go here, I do, nothing happens. I have to taxi around or sometimes just fly around until the next waypoint is created. Sometimes I have to go online and look for walkthroughs. Some of these missions take you almost an hour to complete, then you get to the end and and you can't get your "Mission Complete" because it's buggy, you don't know where to go or what to do, yet you are where they tell you to be at.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play Jun 08, 2009, 02:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 08, 2009, 02:44pm EDT

Yeah and when you just about to touch down and they SCREAM go AROUND go AROUND.

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
TamTheBam Jun 09, 2009, 06:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 09, 2009, 06:44pm EDT

Just decided to uninstall this. Back to 2004! At least it plays better!
FSX. Sadly overrated. Over Hyped by a geek with lots of money who can afford too!
Shame cos I love these games...

Plug & Play Jun 10, 2009, 05:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TamTheBam said:

Yea DX10's defo not on. It's the CPU usage that's the main problem. And it's never been
looked at!

Well the main reason I dont use DX10 is coz you cannot use any D/L planes....but Tam something is not right with it running on your rig. I have it on my laptop with a ATi 3650 512mb dedicated and running smooth with 30FPS on med setting.

All I can say is install it again....put everything on low and start to bring all the important things up one at a time. Hit Shift + Z twice and you get the FPS on screen.

BTW....

Who is this GEEK you talking about, I would like to mail him get a fly by going with him?

TamTheBam Jun 10, 2009, 06:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 10, 2009, 06:33am EDT

I left all the settings alone, and changed the resolution to the lowest, and still got same
problems. It's kinda like having crysis at maxed settings, at highest res, and you get
poor performance, but if you just lower the Res to lowest, it turns out to be super slick
as one would expect. Not in this instance with FSX as I predicted it would.

When I first got FSX years back, I did notice that with SP2 a decrease in performance
was noticed. I also think 3rd Party add ons (aircraft) can have a significant effect on the
games performance. Not all, but definitely some. This game shouldn't be playing the
way it does. All my other games I have no problems with. I get 20-30fps 3rd person view
on flight, c0ckpit view i get a pretty much constant 50-60fps.

Going back the the CPU usage, i'm not happy with that, and that's what's definitely giving
the choppy framerates. I'm not really wanting to spend hours on a game that's eating
away the life of my CPU especially in this current eco climate.

The GEEK is Bill Gates lol :P

Plug & Play Jun 10, 2009, 06:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Yeah I have noticed the some 3rd party aircraft fook up not only perfromance but GPU glithces aswell. But If I load them up and they start all that JAZZ I delete them straight away....

BTW,..

Who is William Gates?

Joshua Marius, LeThe Jun 10, 2009, 07:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

OK here's an update. Got the Saitek PZ35 Rudder pedals today. I don't have words to describe the transition from when I just started with the joystick. My taxing is finally perfect, landings are way easier and perfect as well. I even re-flew some of the missions I screwed up with the joystick and I was amazed by how easy landings were combining the Yoke and the Rudder. I get right in the middle of the runway every single time. Just amazing and it feels very realistic as well.

As far as the FPS problems I also figured it out. Apparently as I was using dual monitors for panels etc the FPS was low. I reduced the resolution on the second monitor to the lowest and did not use it for placing panels, etc. Now I get 60 FPS and more. I'm going to try increasing some settings as I am sure 30 FPS will be more than enough for a smooth flight. It was kind of cool when I had everything to full settings and I was Taxing behind other aircraft just to take off :)

If any of you want to keep it as real as possible, get the Yoke and the Pedals, you will not regret it. I did have to change the axis and assign/change a few things to get them to work correctly but finally everything is good to go. This is truly an amazing difference.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
TamTheBam Jun 10, 2009, 07:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

For realism, i've decided to purchase my very own Tornado jet from ebay.
Needs a new turbine, wing, cockpit, rudder, wheels, ejector seat/s, canopy,
nose, landing lights, navigation system.... lol all for 3 quid! Ok, i need spares lol

Joshua Marius, LeThe Jun 12, 2009, 11:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Nice. I had a dream one time that I found an abandoned F15 and started rebuilding it. I think it would be cool to even just have the chassis of one.

I also saw in Ripley's (I believe) a lady that obtained the entire cabin of a 737 and she made it into a home. So you have seats, a bathroom, a kitchen area, windows with built in blinds, several doors, emergency exits, carpeted floor, overhead storage, great lighting, and a great air conditioning system :) That's a great way to recycle old aircraft, I bet many homeless people could benefit from an idea like this one.

Anyways, how's the flying going? I'm solid at over 40 FPS now and have not missed a single approach. I did have to re-install because I some scenery files got messed up with an add-on I installed - then I obtained this Aircraft Package with 140 planes :) Everything is running very smooth and flying is way more enjoyably now.

Plug did you figure out the ILS stuff I sent you?

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play Jun 12, 2009, 03:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

i think my trouble Josh is that when I D/L a new aircraft and I have over 30 off them all the settings can be different....so its hard to determine if its my or some lack of settings. I mean i was in work the other day on my lunch and I was landing using ILS and it went perfect but no NAV1 beeps....WTF.

Sometimes it catches the ILS glide and others not....:( Still a great game all the same.

Joshua Marius, LeThe Jun 12, 2009, 07:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

The NAV1, ADF or other Morse code beeps have to be manually activated. You can type them in the frequency and your instruments will pick them up, but to hear them you actually have to activate the audio.

Here's an example of NAV1 audio activated: http://www.plugnfly.com/images/radio_cpld_grey_front.jpg
Make sure the frequency you want is active.

I usually intercept the ILS at around 3500-4500 feet and then start descending, works everytime. The Yoke and Pedals have allowed me to get such precise landings that I only use Autopilot for navigation now :P Seriously these things have made a remarkable difference. I completed today the Monsoon Approach mission at the Changi Airport in Singapore, MAN WHAT A MISSION! And guess what, got it the 1st attempt, landed right in the middle.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play Jun 12, 2009, 08:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I swear to god I did that mission in work on my LAPTOP with the ARROW KEYS Josh....LMFAO

Is**t u not....not smack bang in the runway but landing fine. I am good at landing its the following precedures that f**k me up some times.

Joshua Marius, LeThe Jun 12, 2009, 09:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

HA HA HA! You know what, you should get a copy of this ATR 72 I found. The guy modded it so that you can hear the passengers screaming in the cabin if you have a rough landing, LOL ;)

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play Jun 13, 2009, 09:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

For Real!!!! That would be so kool. But man I bet you have a super setup now. Try to get some pics up of your setup mate....

Joshua Marius, LeThe Jun 14, 2009, 02:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I will as soon as I get settled into my new place and finish organizing moving everything over.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play Jun 14, 2009, 07:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I am gonna try to get my GF to stand there all night doing ATC...LMAO

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.