Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1225 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s June 19 - 07:15am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Flight Simulator 10......Or FSX to peeps in the know! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Next >>
Plug & Play May 09, 2009, 03:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Flight Simulator 10......Or FSX to peeps in the know!

Yep, all proper order....

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Plug & Play May 11, 2009, 03:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Just tryed to land an older 737 that had not got the HEADING box in the auto pilot controls....hmmm what do you do then hit NAV and HDG...also there is no VOC LOC like in the 747-800.....messed my perfect plan up it did.......

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Joshua Marius, LeThe May 11, 2009, 05:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 11, 2009, 05:45pm EDT

Plug & Play said:

Just tryed to land an older 737 that had not got the HEADING box in the auto pilot controls....hmmm what do you do then hit NAV and HDG...also there is no VOC LOC like in the 747-800.....messed my perfect plan up it did.......

LOL! If available in the plane at all, you can hit CTRL+N to enable the autopilot navigation. Heading is CTRL+H and you can hit CTRL+SHIFT+H then + and - keys to adjust the heading.

If not available, in the training missions when you are doing your reading assignments like a good boy, it says the pilot is also responsible for learning how to align and do approaches himself. This may even include circling the runway to make sure he does not overshoot. Use that trick I gave you before :)

When taking off, align the aircraft with the lines in the runway and then look at some instrument and imagine there is a vertical line going from that instrument to the runway. Now you can use that same imaginary line when approaching the airport :)

I can't seem to find it but some people went as far as to make an add-on that shows the line in the cockpit to help you align. I just use one of the instruments, like a knob, or an arrow or whatever :)

My Saitek PZ44 Pro Flight Yoke System is on the way!!! :cool:

Joshua Marius
http://www.letheonline.net
-----------------------------
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Intel SSDSC2CW180A3 180 GB
RAID 1: Seagate ST3750528AS 750 GB
CORSAIR Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play May 12, 2009, 06:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 12, 2009, 06:29am EDT

You smug smug little man.....HeHe.

Its just that after getting use to the 747-800 its a pain in the ass when you cannot see the buttons you are use to.....I mean when you use all them fancy shortcuts if there is no light to tell us NOOBS that its engaged how do you know its active...I am old school and fly by the book....I like clicking on the items and manually doing it....it makes me feel more like I am flying the plane....REMEMBER I got 300 women on board....taking them to an island when no one can hear them scream.....(Only the workers that built the runway!!!!)

Another thing....what is the difference between the "HEADING" and "COURSE" boxes....why do you have to fill in both when landing. I mean you can only go one way at a time....Is it for the direction of the runway for the autp pilot ns**t. I know I should really read all this but I wanna fly not go back to NOTRE DAME.....

As for the Saitek PZ44, they are the same price as the X52 PRO....I would love the "U" shaped wheel for flying but I would not use the mixture levers etc coz I hate them little Cessna planes...I am a JET man...and I am use to the joystick for flying so I think I will get the X52's.

Let me know how you get on with them mate.

Joshua Marius, LeThe May 12, 2009, 10:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I did consider the X52 because I was reading around for the best equipment to fly. I already have a very good joystick though, and even if you look at the cockpit of a 747 or a 737, it uses a Yoke, not a joystick ;)

Everywhere you go you will see that it says that the Saitek PZ44 or the CH Products Flight Simulator Yoke are the closest you will get to flying, and then of course you need the pedals to make it even more realistic.

I fly good with the joystick but sometimes it gets on my nerves. Like when taxing or taking of if you pull to the sides just one mm, the plane will move. On the Course vs Heading, I'll copy/paste somebody's answer from Yahoo Answers:

Course and heading can be different because wind and directional trim can cause the plane to side-slip. Let's give an example. Let's say you're flying due north, heading 000. However, there's a 5 knot wind coming from the east. Your COURSE will NOT be 000. It's be 359 or 358 or whatever depending on your airspeed, even if you have maintained trim and kept the plane heading 000 even in the crosswind. If you're navigating, you want the course, not just the heading, esp. when the wind is stronger than just a few knots.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Tennessee May 12, 2009, 11:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
From an instrumentation perspective:

The HEADING is the setting of the heading bug on the HSI...which is what the autopilot will fly when HDG mode is engaged.

The COURSE is the heading the nav needle (aka CDI...Course Deflection Indicator) is set to in the HSI...like when you are dialing in the localizer course for an ILS approach...or setting up a radial off a VOR...or have the HSI slaved to a GPS waypoint. When on approach using autopilot in APR mode or navigating in-flight in NAV mode, the ap tries to keep this needle centered.

Does that make any sense whatsoever and does it help at all, Plug? Or have I confused you more? ;)

Nathan Daniels May 12, 2009, 11:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am getting ticked because I spend at least an hour setting up controls for my X52 in FSX and when I restart the game, they are all reset to default! Saving a backup configuration doesn't help either because it doesn't save button mappings. Does this happen to anyone else?

--------
"The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war."
-Patton
Joshua Marius, LeThe May 12, 2009, 01:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 12, 2009, 01:21pm EDT

That's weird. I just went in right now to see if I could duplicate the problem.

Try this: http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt23437.html

They mention something to do with a profile editor.

try going to ur x52 profile editor and setting ur buttons to match whatever the keys are setup in in FSX

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
TamTheBam May 12, 2009, 01:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Man you guys are more nerdy at this than I am lol. I just like to p**s about with this
game. I don't really bother with all the panels n stuff.

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Joshua Marius, LeThe May 12, 2009, 01:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
But it's so comfy!!! I fly now to a point where I think I manually control the plane for about 5 minutes when landing :)

I do like to go to several locations where there is a grass strip next to an airport. I then take on and off constantly in a Piper--J3 Cub and do touch and go landings just to get better at it. This is where the joystick comes in super handy, and the Sidewinder force feedback 2 does a great job at making you feel all the wind and turbulence.

TamTheBam said:

Man you guys are more nerdy at this than I am lol. I just like to p**s about with this
game. I don't really bother with all the panels n stuff.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play May 12, 2009, 02:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Thanx for all the input guys.....there is an awful lot to get the head around....and I only got the game TBH so i will get there.....

Tam,

I see where you are coming from with free flying around but going through the motions and landing a 747 perfect is a great BUZZ I swear. BTW you have to download FS recorder to record your landing etc....its free and I just got it...so I will try it out.

Joshua Marius, LeThe May 12, 2009, 03:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Fraps worked out awesome for me. I recorded my 1st take off in full resolution but had to chop it down as the 5 minute video was 3 GB.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play May 12, 2009, 03:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Was just about to ask how to use this FS recorder...I mean I cant even see in the menus where to play back. Might be switching to FRAPS myself.

TamTheBam May 12, 2009, 05:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I know what you guys mean about doing it the right way. I was kinda getting to that
stage with FS2004.

Fraps hell I'd never use that for Vid files, just like you said Joshua for a 5 min flick
it's like fookin 3GB+
You'll get carried away Plug, and you'll have no HDD room left lol

Plug & Play May 12, 2009, 05:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Tam,

Space is one thing I have BIG TIME....hell I have a 1TB external NAS drive here with nothing on it....and I plan to fill it with my 747-800 and hopefully Airbus A380 files.

Having trouble playing back th FS Recorder files at the moment!!!!

Plug & Play May 12, 2009, 05:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joshua Marius, LeThe said:
But it's so comfy!!! I fly now to a point where I think I manually control the plane for about 5 minutes when landing :)

I do like to go to several locations where there is a grass strip next to an airport. I then take on and off constantly in a Piper--J3 Cub and do touch and go landings just to get better at it. This is where the joystick comes in super handy, and the Sidewinder force feedback 2 does a great job at making you feel all the wind and turbulence.

I have the Logitech 3D pro at the moment....its a decent joystick for the price, but yours acts like the PS3 controllers and vibrates when you land etc and use engine trust taking off???

Joshua Marius, LeThe May 12, 2009, 06:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 12, 2009, 06:11pm EDT

Man I can even feel when a passenger farts! The joystick does an awesome job and makes it more realistic. The 1st time I flew "Secret Shuttle" mission I got carried away and thought I had everything under control during take off. As soon as I pulled the landing gear in, the joystick kicked to the side because of the impact, it threw me off by a few degrees.

Fraps is really easy to use. Just assign a unique key for recording and stopping and follow the instructions on how to run it with the game. You can also set what resolution to record on and such. The movie I made was about 3 GB but I chopped it down to about 160 MB with Ulead Video Studio and the video was still very sharp. It was probably 3 GB because it recorded at 1680x1050 which is the resolution of my monitor...pretty big video.

I did want to ask you guys, what is your FPS. While in the game, press SHIFT+Z twice and you should see it displayed. I was amazed to see between 6-8 FPS, then I started messing around with the settings and reading around and now I am up to 28-32 FPS.

Plug & Play said:

I have the Logitech 3D pro at the moment....its a decent joystick for the price, but yours acts like the PS3 controllers and vibrates when you land etc and use engine trust taking off???

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
TamTheBam May 12, 2009, 06:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Depends how you've set up your scenery, etc. I have my FrameRate set at 60fps.
Anymore, and I get tearing - which's shocking in FSX10. So I always stick to 60fps.
In 3rd person view i can get 30+fps. 1st person view or cockpit, I get 60fps pretty
much constant. Plug, we'll he'll get about over 100fps. Pass them spare ones over
here eh. Cheers!

Joshua Marius, LeThe May 12, 2009, 07:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What is your resolution and Quality (High, low, medium high, etc.?)

I am running Very high with all the effects/traffic almost on 80%, and Dual 20" monitors at 1680x1050. I set the power configuration to NONE so my CPU ran at 100% and now Im in the 48-56 FPS range. The game is way smoother.

TamTheBam said:

Depends how you've set up your scenery, etc. I have my FrameRate set at 60fps.
Anymore, and I get tearing - which's shocking in FSX10. So I always stick to 60fps.
In 3rd person view i can get 30+fps. 1st person view or cockpit, I get 60fps pretty
much constant. Plug, we'll he'll get about over 100fps. Pass them spare ones over
here eh. Cheers!

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
TamTheBam May 12, 2009, 07:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I'll let you kno tomo cos it's 00:41 and I'm sleepy

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.