Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 642 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 22 - 11:09pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Flight Simulator 10......Or FSX to peeps in the know! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Next >>
Plug & Play May 13, 2009, 06:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: May 13, 2009, 06:03am EDT

>> Re: Flight Simulator 10......Or FSX to peeps in the know!
I dont know what FPS I am getting I will check it when I get home for you mate no probs. I am using maxed settings where applicable TBH....I mean I have the FPS set to unlimited and all the setting cranked up...I love taking off from friday harbour it looks the bizzo.

I feel the new nVidia drivers are better 185.65 (I Think) as opposed to the xxx.50 except the odd artifact when on the runway!!! And I have the new Abient Occ. setting turned on (might be why it is artifacting!!!)

My native res. is 1900x1200 on a BenQ 24" and I tell you taking off in a 747-800 with dolby digital 7.1 surround sound and a sub the size of a 19" CRT really does ROCK THE HOUSE!!!!!

On a side note the tutorials that you guys have showed me really help and I am doing the lessons in FSX....little things like setting the brakes to RTO for take off and setting them to +1 for landing or +2 if raining etc really adds to the drama (Yep thats right drama, coz the pimps on my plane dont know if they are goin to DIE)....

Quick question....is it a MUST to trim the elevator for take off? (small wheels at the side of the trust panel in 747's) just something I noticed. Also I never use 100% throttle to takeoff makes me feel special....just a tad more flaps or more runway same thing really. Its what seperate us TOP GUNS from the NOOBS....lmfao. :blush:

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
TamTheBam May 13, 2009, 06:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

The Ambient Occlusion only works if the game software supports it. I don't imagine
that causing any probs even tho FSX doesn't support it. I'll turn mines off and see what
happens

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Plug & Play May 13, 2009, 08:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

It does state that you might suffer a hit in the FPS stakes when enabled but I have a few to spare m8....hehe. I will run some tests in my COMMAND CENTRE when I get home.

Please aknowledge handoff.....over!

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Tennessee May 13, 2009, 10:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No, I suppose elevator trim is not an absolute must but it will certainly be a much more pleasurable experience for you if you do...as opposed to constantly fighting elevator pitch forces that result from being in an out-of-trim condition. I would recommend setting up joystick buttons for nose-up and nose-down trim (with repeat on).

Joshua Marius, LeThe May 13, 2009, 10:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tennessee said:
No, I suppose elevator trim is not an absolute must but it will certainly be a much more pleasurable experience for you if you do...as opposed to constantly fighting elevator pitch forces that result from being in an out-of-trim condition. I would recommend setting up joystick buttons for nose-up and nose-down trim (with repeat on).

Exactly. Here are some paragraphs from the Learning Center

What Trim Control Does

The elevator trim compensates for the changing force created by the flow of air over the elevator. When the airplane is properly trimmed for level-cruising flight, you can fly "hands off," applying only occasional, small control pressures to compensate for the occasional bump or minor change in heading. If you add power, however, the airplane speeds up, and the nose tends to rise because more air is flowing over the tail. To maintain altitude, you must apply forward pressure on the control yoke. Holding that forward pressure for more than a few minutes is fatiguing and difficult. To compensate, apply down elevator trim until the pressure disappears.

This would be better understood if you had a joystick like mine, which hurts my wrists after a while of flying and wanting the plane to be on the proper heading and altitude.

Joshua Marius
http://www.letheonline.net
-----------------------------
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Intel SSDSC2CW180A3 180 GB
RAID 1: Seagate ST3750528AS 750 GB
CORSAIR Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play May 13, 2009, 03:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Right.....

I am getting to the point now where I am fit to KILL........

I cannot get any liveries working what so ever!!!!! FFS.

All I want is an A380 AIRBUS and a 737-500 series so I can use my national flagcarrier colours...I dont have a 737-500 as standard in FSX.....Man alive I am going to top someone in my neighbourhood...... >:o >:o >:o

Joshua Marius, LeThe May 13, 2009, 04:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I am going to find both of those and fly right over your house ;) Then drop a few flour bombs ha ha ha 8)

As soon as I get done with a few things here I will try to help you ASAP.

Joshua Marius
http://www.letheonline.net
-----------------------------
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Intel SSDSC2CW180A3 180 GB
RAID 1: Seagate ST3750528AS 750 GB
CORSAIR Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Plug & Play May 13, 2009, 06:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joshua Marius, LeThe said:

I am going to find both of those and fly right over your house ;) Then drop a few flour bombs ha ha ha 8)

As soon as I get done with a few things here I will try to help you ASAP.

Thanx mate....really appreciate it.

In relation to the FPS you were asking about, as I said I have this maxed out on all settings. Have not got Ambient Occ enabled as I have reverted back to 182.50 drivers to test a few things. I am gettting a maximum 110 FPS and minimum 45FPS it does not get to low 50's often but it does when I pan around the plane etc but cockpit views are pretty much very high.

This game as far as I can read on forums is just as much CPU dependant as it is GPU dependant. And does not support Quad cores....so if you have an i7 920 O/C (Onboard memory controller and direct link to PCI-e Bus Massive bonus) or a 4ghz 86xx series dual core you are better off then a Quad like mine I suppose...still not to shabby...Quick test with FRAPS BTW.

TamTheBam May 13, 2009, 06:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 13, 2009, 06:35pm EDT

That's weird cos SP1 or SP2 for FSX has support for All cores?
I just ran the game to test in windowed mode. One core was pretty much 100% yikes!
And the other cores were in 30's+. At one stage, all 4 cores were 100% holys**te!
I take it you have SP2 installed Gary? I dunno but SP1 defo supported Dual Cores.

Plug & Play May 13, 2009, 06:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Yep Dual Cores are supported offically...but as far as I read not Quads. That was on a few forums not Microsoft Website it just says multicore from way back....ffs.

Yep I have SP2 installed Tam.... ;)

Plug & Play May 14, 2009, 05:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

BTW,

Has anybody tried the ATC (Air Traffic Control) role in FSX....especially in multiplayer? I bet its a laugh but hard....I must have a go tonite.....Can you imagine all us in the one server and the good Plug N Play rackin and stackin....hehe....talk about CHAOS!!!!!

Plug & Play May 14, 2009, 05:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Just came across this item looking for an AIRBUS A380...... >:o >:o >:o

Worth a look me thinks!
http://www.fsstation.com/articles/flight-simulator-x-performan...weaks.html

TamTheBam May 14, 2009, 05:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Plug & Play said:

Just came across this item looking for an AIRBUS A380...... >:o >:o >:o

Worth a look me thinks!
http://www.fsstation.com/articles/flight-simulator-x-performan...weaks.html

Dude if you're still looking for an A380 I have the Quantas. It's the best detailed one
i've come across to date. And there'll be new skins for it that I will look out for you if
you want. If you want this particular A380 let me know and I will mail it to you.
I've come across some really shabby looking 3rd party A380's not to mention other
aircraft, but there are some beauties out there!

Plug & Play May 14, 2009, 08:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

The thing is Tam I dont know what is wrong with my game....the planes when installed in the folder just do not show up in game....FULL STOP. I have tried all different ones and no joy. Its like I need to amend some .cfg to let the planes show up.

I have tried 737-500, 747-800, and AIrbus A380. I think we will have to meet on steam and you talk me through it. It has to be something small if everyone around me is doing it ffs.

I did d/l a demo of the A380 but it had big black banners on the plane and looked crap....and it self installed no probs.

Plug & Play May 14, 2009, 09:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Tam,

Go into mission in FSX and do the one with a flight from Amsterdam to London...I swear its gas.....10,000FT up some old dude has a HEART ATTACK and all hell brakes lose!!!!

Great to play.. ;)

TamTheBam May 14, 2009, 09:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

PMSL!!!!! I will try that lol

TamTheBam May 14, 2009, 10:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

On the subject of the .cfg's - I've never really tinkered with them.
Some FS2004 aircraft files won't work with FSX

Tennessee May 14, 2009, 12:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here is a good article you might enjoy from Air & Space Magazine about flight simming, virtual airlines and virtual ATC:

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/34679339.html

Plug & Play May 14, 2009, 02:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I will read that later....but check this out....

FOR ALL YOUR HARDWORK GUYS HERE IS A PRESSIE...ITS THE BEST SCREENSAVER EVER!!!!

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/exp/A380/downloads.jsp

Sean Costello May 14, 2009, 02:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hmm i think i might give this game a shot since you folks speak so highly of it :D

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.