Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1184 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 12:06am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Monitors /

Dual monitor setup - 2nd monitor flickering 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Kinaori Jan 11, 2012, 01:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dual monitor setup - 2nd monitor flickering
Yep! Had the same problem (only after a system update applied and rebooted by computer overnight). Un-checking the Overdrive option in Catalyst worked like a charm. THANK YOU!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
eric johnson Jan 13, 2012, 10:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thank you. disabled over drive (was enabled by default) issue resolved.

ati hd 6770
asus mobo
identical asus monitors (flicker would both but not at same time)

Aaron Kimoto Jan 21, 2012, 12:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was also having this problem.

ATI HD 4600 Series
DVI-DVI to 22" Samsung Monitor
HDMI-HDMI to 40" Samsung TV
Dual Display Extended
1680x1050 and 1920x1080 respectively
Windows 7 64-bit
Catalyst 11.12

22" Monitor was flickering whenever typing, clicking, opening/closing/moving windows etc.

Never a problem on the TV

Never a problem with just the monitor hooked up and the HDMI unplugged

Went into AMD Vision Center and turned off AMD Overdrive. No more flicker.

Thanks a lot for the information, registered just to post that this worked for me too.

Adrian Bond Feb 12, 2012, 05:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ditto CCC update - Overdrive enabled
Ditto Flicker on second monitor
Ditto - Disable Overdrive - Flicker gone
Ditto - Registered to share
Ditto - lost good excuse to buy new monitor :(

Makes you think, though, what are AMD upto producing an update that borks peoples dual screen setups?!

Also a shame as the system tested the card and got an easy 20% extra out of it :O.

Oh well, maybe next year...

Tin Omen Feb 13, 2012, 11:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This seems to have limited the flicker. I figured that if I had never accepted the overdrive warning that my overdrive would be off... Not true. I had to accept the overdrive disclaimer, enter into the overdrive section, and then uncheck overdrive.

Anyway, I still get flicker from time to time. I have researched this issue quite a bit over several years. No resolution other than to just buy an NVidia card I guess. Every AMD card I have bought since the 8500 has had this issue.

This has been an unresolved issue for me for many years now.

Tin Omen Feb 13, 2012, 04:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This seems to have limited the flicker. I figured that if I had never accepted the overdrive warning that my overdrive would be off... Not true. I had to accept the overdrive disclaimer, enter into the overdrive section, and then uncheck overdrive.

Anyway, I still get flicker from time to time. I have researched this issue quite a bit over several years. No resolution other than to just buy an NVidia card I guess. Every AMD card I have bought since the 8500 has had this issue.

This has been an unresolved issue for me for many years now.

James Nell Feb 27, 2012, 05:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The cause of the flickering is caused by the catalyst centre . Uninstall the graphics card completely .(EVERYTHING) , Restart with default VGA driver . Now insert your driver cd and choose custom install. Uncheck all boxes except driver and install . Restart and the flicker on all monnitors will be gone . Worked for me every time .To overclock your card use SAPPHIRE TriXX utility here https://www.sapphireselectclub.com/ssc/TriXX/ . Hopes this helps , It did for me after trying everything for weeks . :-)

ladislav hruby Jan 18, 2013, 02:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've spent about 2 hrs trying to clerar this flickering problem. Thank you very much for the solution.

Ladislav

Robert Funke Apr 19, 2013, 11:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Problem:

I have had a Dell Precision M6300 laptop running Windows Vista (came with the computer) for over a year without issue. Although I made no hardware or software changes, a couple of weeks ago, I started having issues with a secondary monitor connected to my Dell laptop. It goes on for a part of second then goes off for a couple of seconds. The primary display on my laptop (Dell Precision M6300) works fine. The video card is Nvidia Quadro FX1600M. I cannot disengage it since it is integrated into the motherboard.

I have MS Vista for the operating system. I have completely reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything and still have the issue. The display works fine with other laptops. I ran a trial version of Ubuntu on the same computer that has the issue and the secondary monitor worked perfectly. Dell support cannot resolve.

I checked hardware connections with both the docking station and direct from the workstation. I tried connecting an older monitor to the workstation and also a television. The flicker occurred regardless of the monitor used. Secondary monitors all used the VGA port on either the laptop itself or the docking station. I have tried various refresh rates and resolution without success.

I connected another Dell laptop to the same docking station and the display worked fine. I also tested the secondary monitor on a third Dell laptop and it worked fine. I have a dual partition and reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Vista on two partitions. One partition is a barebones Vista installation, the other is with the programs I use installed. I still had the error on both. I removed the Nvidia driver and installed a standard driver and the monitor flicker continued.

When I reported this instance to Dell and the technician thought it might be a hardware issue. The rep suggested I try booting from a CD with Ubuntu on it to test it. The display worked fine. I installed Ubuntu 12.10 through Window using wubi.exe. The monitors work without issue on Ubuntu. The driver is a propriety Nvidia driver for Ubuntu.

I tried doing a update install this morning on the barebones install. For about two minutes, while Windows was loading, the secondary monitor was working. After Windows completely loaded, the flickering began again. Repair did not seem to detect any issues. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool for two passes at the extended test mix with cache on and found no problems.

I contacted Windows Support and got a solution. I thought I would pass it on for future use:

Victor P:
3:58:55 PM
Robert, actually this is a known issue for Dell computers that second monitor won't work while running on Windows Vista.
You:
3:59:31 PM
Strange. It worked fine for over a year. This just started a couple of weeks ago.

Victor P:
4:00:10
That's how it is. You got it to worked for over a year and for some reason it stop
working.
You:
4:00:57 PM
That's right. Never had a problem before.
Victor P:
4:01:33 PM
And also nVidia has certainly been weak with respect to Vista driver support. It wouldn't surprise me if that's where the issue lies as well.
You:
4:02:17 PM
So what's the fix?
Victor P:
4:04:05 PM
Try going into Task Scheduler and disabling TMM (Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager).
You:
4:06:54 PM
Checking...
I see it, but I am not sure how to disable it.
Victor P:
4:11:10 PM
How about when you right click and there's an options to disable it.
You:
4:12:35 PM
It shows up as running on the task status window.
I just looked at my second monitor and it appears to be stable. Will this stay this way or is there something else I need to do?

Victor P:
4:17:13 PM
This is happens when you have a buggy driver for you Video Adapter. This is actually the resolution for this kind of problem since the TMM (Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager) is the one who control if you are using multiple monitor.
If you have a buggy video adapter driver, TMM should be disabled to get the second display stabilize.
You:
4:20:46 PM
Thanks. I think this is working.

luke mack Jun 29, 2014, 07:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

luke mack Jun 29, 2014, 07:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had a similar problem and thought i would try to help anyone who hasn't fixed the flickering yet. I have an asus 7770 ati card and as soon as i installed catalyst control center i had a flicker on my screen at the bottom every time scrolled, moved a window, or clicked the mouse. I tried using linux but the flicker was still there. I am running two monitors through hdmi and dvi connections. Anyways i fixed it by in the common display settings, the monitor that was flickering, i clicked the drop down arrow and set it to preferred. Solved my problem.

Adrian Bond Jul 05, 2014, 09:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got an e-mail from this forum about an updated reply... then noticed that my annoying flicker was back!

Pop back to the forum, re-read the solution, accept the Overdrive T&Cs, turn the **@$3! thing off, normality is restored.

2 years and I forget everything! :blush:

Josh Brand Sep 20, 2016, 08:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just registered to say that in the new AMD Radeon Settings app, I turned on "Virtual Super Resolution" for the monitor that was flickering, and it immediately stopped.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.