Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 914 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 11:52pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Case Modding /

New Lan Li Case 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Plug & Play Sep 07, 2009, 05:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 07, 2009, 05:46am EDT

>> Re: New Lan Li Case
Michael C said:
It looks like totals**t to me. Did you know they've ran a computer out of a shoe box? Who gives as**t about case quality.

So is it just case quality you dont give as**t about or quality in general Michael? Seems very stupid to me if its the former....who in their right mind would spent $1000+ on a complete rig and stick it in a shabby POOR QUALITY CASE.

If you bought a case and it blew you motherboard Michael, you would be on here throwing your dummy out of the pram like a f**king flash!!!!

I bet you did not buy the cheapest of the cheap GPU lately...Michael why not? I mean you could have got a SPARKLE branded card for far cheaper....Why you pay extra for an XFX....!!!

Hmmm, let me see...It starts with Q ends in Y and has UALIT in it!!!!!!!! >:o

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Plug & Play Sep 07, 2009, 05:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I think most peeps agree its not very pleasing on the eye, but by FOOK its a top quality build that will last you an age. If they tweaked it a bit, lower the price a tad...BINGO!!

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Michael C Sep 07, 2009, 10:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A videocard can't be compared to a case...

I'm saying that the actual material of a case matters very little - you're not going to damage any parts because of your 'case quality'. The purpose of a case is to hold parts in place and protect them. I do not see any point in spending even $150 on a case - I think it's plain stupid actually.

Every case I've ever owned has only cost me anywhere from $60 to $90 and has worked wonderfully. As long as the case looks nice, has places where you can put fans, fits all parts without hastle - then it's probably a decent case. I have a Coolermaster 330 Elite which cost me $65 and it's the best case I've ever had.

Quality with anything else BUT the case, yes, matters. I've seen someone run a socket 939 pc out of shoebox and it all worked great.

Plug & Play Sep 07, 2009, 10:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

WOW....out of a shoe box....I suppose the shoes where still in there aswell!!!! :X And he used the laces as IDE cables....and the sole for the motherboard. Then he cut a slit just under the front of the shoe between the uppers and the sole and used it as a DVD drive.

So according to your logic anyone on here that spent over $90 dollars is STUPID....hmmm. Good job you not in charge of Thermaltake or the like m8, as the majority of PC users on here and around the world would completely disagree. I mean if what you say is true...how is there a MASS MARKET for High End Cases.

Dont get me wrong when I was building a PC for my little one and my girlfriend I threw it into a cheap and cheerfull case....but it still cost me like 50-60 euro.

PLUGS POLL.

How much did HWA MEMBERS spend on your main rigs CASE?

I bought a Thermaltake Kandalf Full Tower 160 approx

TamTheBam Sep 07, 2009, 11:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 07, 2009, 02:01pm EDT

Lol. My Thermaltake Mozart case cost me 130 at the time of purchase. There was a
reason behind it. I have liquid cooling. 2 loops in fact. And I didn't want to have any part
of the loop outside the case. So the Mozart was the perfect option for me. It's no the
nicest looking case, but it's done what I wanted it to do.
IF i decide to go back to air cooling, I will use my CoolerMaster WaveMaster case instead.

The design & material of the case is a factor to be considered - i.e. cooling, material
that's non conductive and allows dissipation of heat trapped within the case. Although
you can get cases that support these for a low price too, you do get what you pay
for.

My first build, the tower unit I had, was one of those Nokia Style case. Man that was
ones**t case.

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Michael C Sep 07, 2009, 12:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I said that spending over $90 is a stupid choice, not that the person doing it is necessarily stupid.

I can only see spending money on a better case if you need water cooling.

Plug & Play Sep 08, 2009, 06:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 08, 2009, 02:31pm EDT

So you buy a case for you $60-$90, then a little bit down the road decide you need water cooling (coz you never know when you are gonna change over before hand) so you then go out and buy a case for $150+.....LMAO

No $60 case I have seen offers effective cooling and space to stick a high end gaming rig in....and stop you cutting the fingers off yourself while working on it.

Where is the logic there mate?

Just buy a high end case for good money with excellant features & cooling because it is the one thing in the PC world you will actually get a long life span out off. I mean spending 150 bucks on an item that will last you more then 5yrs in the PC world is a FOOKING MIRACLE.

Michael C Sep 08, 2009, 10:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think you should know whether or not you'll need watercooling. From what I've seen, there is no need for water cooling unless you're in a VERY hot place, like India or somes**t.

TamTheBam Sep 08, 2009, 11:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 08, 2009, 11:31am EDT

Michael C said:
I think you should know whether or not you'll need watercooling. From what I've seen, there is no need for water cooling unless you're in a VERY hot place, like India or somes**t.

Absolute bollocks. Compare AIR and LIQUID, then google which dissipates heat more
effectively. Liquid does. Liquid has higher conductivity than
air. And it's the main reason behind watercooling. My volts are 1.49 to 1.50v for my CPU
at this time. Hence why my temps are a little higher than usual.

Liquid can offer 1000 time better thermal conductivity.

G. G. Sep 08, 2009, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 08, 2009, 11:32am EDT

My first do it yourselfer pc, I used an HP/OEM desktop case (free).... cut a hole on the top for a oval window and went on my marry way.... heheheheh...

My current system.... I got a Cooler Master CM Media 282 140.00.... The reason I chose this case is that it was the only one I liked both looks and price that is in a desktop format... I am running a compact water cooling thingie-ga-bob within its tight confines... The one neat thing about this case is that it can be converted from its desktop format to a mid tower format if I were to need it down the road...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Michael C Sep 08, 2009, 11:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 08, 2009, 11:51am EDT

That's really great Tam, it's too bad you could do the same on air cooling. You act like I don't know the benefits of water cooling, but I do. Looks like you wasted money to me. I've had my volts higher than that(1.54 for example) running at 3.6ghz for testing and was getting around 68c, which isn't even that hot. You think that your CPU is going to burn out or somes**t lmao.

TamTheBam Sep 08, 2009, 12:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I'm not saying you don't know anything about watercooling. It was just the statement you
made about India that's all. I took on watercooling as an experiment when I was on good
money. I've contemplated on several occasions whether it was the right choice as the
results are not as good as I'd expected.

G. G. Sep 08, 2009, 12:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TamTheBam said:

........ I've contemplated on several occasions whether it was the right choice as the
results are not as good as I'd expected.

Tam,

with your water cooling setup... what are you cooling? Just cpu or other components in that loop?

You have a double length radiator .... that should be well plenty of cooling surface if you are just cooling cpu. but if you are adding chipset and gpu.... you may get getting up to capacity on the radiator.

Also, there may be a possiblility of you getting better cooling performance if you were to change out to a different cooling block and even to a higher capacity pump/res combo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
TamTheBam Sep 08, 2009, 12:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 08, 2009, 12:46pm EDT

I reckon it's the fans on the RADS that are the problem. Maybe because all the
cooling equipment's all within the case, that might also be a factor - regardless of
how big the case is. The rads are situated at the top rear of the case.
MoBo, etc are all at the bottom of the case, and heat rises as we all know. This could
also be a factor. The case is situated under my desk, and the air outlet for the rads
at the backof the case is about 6 inches away from the wall, I reckon this also could be
the problem.

G. G. Sep 08, 2009, 01:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tam,

so in your situation.... you may be your own worse enemy when it comes to your h20 cooling system.

-
TamTheBam Sep 08, 2009, 01:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Lol! Possibly. I've been thinking about getting a new CPU block, and time to change
the coolant. I use the Smoothy Coolant - which may not be that good. I have some
DangerDen coolant here, and never used it, so I might give it a try and see what happens.

Plug & Play Sep 08, 2009, 03:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

You forget that Tams rig would be near silent too another great plus. Not that my rig is loud but its nice to have a powerful rig with neon lights and near total silence.

G. G. Sep 08, 2009, 04:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tam,

before you go out and buy something "different" for your cooling system...

Try moving your system out from under the desk... The desk is trapping all that heat and allowing it to recirculate back into the case. betcha if you were to move your case, say out to the side of the desk so as it is open to the air.... you will be better cooling performance...

BUT....

if you must get something different for your cooling system...

1. I would try this cooling block from HeatKiller Ver 3.0

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=pro...s_id=25215

I hear from a very reliable source (a friend that loves to get highend cpus and oc the bugger out of them) that this cpu block is the best of the best.

2. Change out your pump/res to a more capacity unit....

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=pro...ts_id=4488

The unit you have currently is only rated for 400LPH and may not be enough to push through the block effectively, especially with the long tube runs that you have running through that big case of yours.

All in all.... I think that you should move your case out to the open before you go off spending more dough...

-
Plug & Play Sep 08, 2009, 07:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I am too scared to get WATERCOOLING....my little one would think its a FISHTANK and mess with it...:P

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.