Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1045 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 21 - 06:56pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows 7 /

Re: 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Reason Dec 01, 2009, 09:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: We hardly knew each other, but it's time to say goodbye
Never seen Linux slash before.

Hawt.

Hey, Virtualbox is supposed to support 3D now. Seems like with multicore machines and 64-bit RAM amounts it might be feasible to game on a VM. Or am I just tarded?

Dec 01, 2009, 09:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 05, 2011, 01:46pm EDT

>> Re:

A_Pickle Dec 02, 2009, 04:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 02, 2009, 04:53am EST

Nathan Daniels
Yeah but the problem with open source stuff is it is open source! Anyone can see the code and find security holes.

The problem with this logic is that you assume that everyone who looks at the code does so to find security exploits, and that everyone who looks at the code to find security exploits, is looking to exploit them. In short, you're suggesting that everyone who looks at the code of any given open source program is doing so out of malicious intentions.

In fact, most people who are looking at any open-source code are probably doing so out of helpfulness and benevolence. Most people working on open-source projects believe in the project, and want to see it do well... so they wouldn't leave security vulnerabilities just lying around. Most of these people are volunteers, which means they want to see this software do well enough that they're willing to donate some of their own free time to make that happen.

There is literally a pool of thousands, if not millions of software engineers who can pool in to help an open-source project out. Open-source software isn't vulnerable in the least, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that the open-source software development model results in more secure, better quality software - and I'll let the evidence speak for itself.

Mozilla Firefox was way the f**k more secure than Internet Explorer for years. It was also more capable than Internet Explorer (and still is, in my humble opinion). Linux was more secure than Windows for a good long time, too (again, arguably still is).

The best part about open-source code, though, is that there's nothing you can't see. Is there a backdoor for law enforcement to gain access to your Windows system? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. Microsoft says there isn't, but why should I trust them?

However, if Linus Torvalds tells you that there is no backdoor for law enforcement built-in to Linux, should you believe him? It's up to you, but if you don't, you can always check for yourself -- the code is completely open. You can't say the same about Windows.

Open-source software is the best kind of software around. Software is a tool, and a very complex one, at that. I don't want a tool that is quite useful 99.9% of the time, but not useful for that .1% of the time that I need it. I want a tool I can trust, I want software I can trust. I want a tool that will operate for me 100% of the time, come hell or high water. Open-source does that. Closed source doesn't.

EDIT: Though, I have to say. I like the spunk of this Microsoftie (http://blogs.msdn.com/si_team/archive/2006/03/02/542590.aspx). :D

"OVER MY DEAD BODY."

Nathan Daniels Dec 02, 2009, 10:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You make a good point. I would just like to say that the reason Linux is so secure is the same reason Macs are so secure. No hacker / malicious coder would even bother with a virus that only affected <1% (<5% for Macs) of the computers in the world. I am not sure if the same logic applies to Firefox. I doubt it because Firefox has a much larger market share than Linux and Mac.

--------
"The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war."
-Patton
Sean Costello Dec 02, 2009, 12:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I heard she was a slut anyways.

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Nathan Daniels Dec 02, 2009, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sean Costello said:
I heard she was a slut anyways.

Yes, being with millions of different men (and women!) would certainly fit the definition of slut.

--------
-Patton
Sean Costello Dec 02, 2009, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah I'll probably be tapping that ass soon enough as well.

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
<a class= Dec 02, 2009, 01:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Linux is ze shiznit.

TamTheBam Dec 02, 2009, 04:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Meats_Of_Evil said:
Tam, you have the devil in yer Pc! My steam account works fine and I'm sure everyone elses. Try going to the steam forums and see if you need to re-install steam or just delete a few cache files.

Also, is that the reason you haven't been on steam for a while Tam? I have no one else to talk to at those weird hours you usually pm me :(

Also, I thought the same thing as Dr. Peaceful! I thought somebody was leaving. I'd hate to see anyone go, we'll any of you guys since we are all that's left :(

I was thinking of this other song too hahah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojydNb3Lrrs

It's a f**kin disaster! I've installed Steam on compat mode. Doesn't work. Installed it
normally - doesn't work. I get a few BSoD's with Win7. It can fook off! Like I said,
everyone's fooled by all the fancys**t, and nothing's really changed that much, except
s**t doesn't work! f**k OFF TO MS! I'm installing Vista again. At least I know it works
fine.

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Dec 03, 2009, 08:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

>> Re:

Dave Dec 03, 2009, 09:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not really been tricked by the shininess into getting and using Win7 Tam... if it wass**te, I wouldn't use it.

I think its more that yours is f**ked than we're all idiots :).

Nathan Daniels Dec 03, 2009, 10:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
McFly said:
Well, I certainly have been away for too long. A lot of projects have improved a lot since I last saw them, most notably Compiz Fusion and OpenOffice.org.

Compiz Fusion Shelf is something that I'd wanted for Aero since Vista came out ... but afaik there's still no program (third-party or otherwise) that'll do it. Shelf does it and does it well:
http://dev.compiz.org/~kristian/2007/12/12/shelf-plugin-preview/

Compiz Fusion simply blows Aero away ... the customizability and extensibility are intense.

I must admit, Compiz Fusion was pretty bad ass. But I was working with terrible Linux graphics drivers so I had to be very careful not to crash the system

--------
-Patton
Dec 13, 2009, 03:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

>> Re:

Rooin Dec 16, 2009, 06:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TamTheBam said:

I f**kin hate Win7.
My Steam account don't work.
The GPU Drivers ares**te.
Some games that played slick on Vista plays**te on Win7.

You lot are bedazzled by the GUI and the neatness. I prefer Vista.

Win7 64bit, Most of my games run through Steam, 8800Ultra with latest nvidia drivers, an my games play just as fantastic as they did on WinXP 32b. I think you have some quirks to work out.

The GUI between Vista & Win7 by default isn't -that- different. Besides Aero can be shutoff an made to look like Classic Windows anyway. (which I always do on a WinXP machine) I'm growing used to the Win7 GUI, but I must say I am disappointed with the handling of Start menu application folders, or the ability to pin directory links on the taskbar.

================================================================
"Even Satan wouldn't use customer service as a form of punishment." - Lucas http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
<a class= Dec 16, 2009, 06:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 16, 2009, 06:34pm EST

My laptop boots up in 30 secs with w7, vs over 5 minutes with vista.

By "boots up" I mean boot and OS load, til when the HDD no longer is flashing and the machine is ready for work.

My wireless card used to freak out and DC on vista, its working good with w 7.

I wouldn't recommend it over xp at this point but its definitely better than vista.

Nov 12, 2010, 06:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

>> Re:

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.