Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1151 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 09:52am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Mobile Phones / Providers /

Best current cell phone? - SOLVED - Bought a Droid. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
~Vel Apr 14, 2010, 09:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Best current cell phone? - SOLVED - Bought a Droid.
Meats_Of_Evil said:
So... can an unlocked Droid be used on any network? Verizon used to be the main network here but it got changed to Claro. What are my chances of the Droid working with Claro?

It looks like Claro uses a CDMA network, the same kind the Droid is made for, so it can work but what it really comes down to is if Claro will let you use it. Look at John Smith's answer closer towards the bottom of the linked page.

http://www.chacha.com/question/can-the-motorola-droid-smart-ph...lular-plan

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dr. Peaceful Apr 15, 2010, 01:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
MrBungle said:
for my money nothing beats a Motorola DynaTAC. :)

Dude, they still sell them for 149, brand spanking new in original package. Get one before too late... analog cell signal is still up in some places. ;) http://www.retrobrick.com/moto8000.html

Me on the other hand like the IBM Simon Personal Communicator with the touch screen. Beats the iPhone, IMO. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Simon

Meats_Of_Evil Apr 15, 2010, 09:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for that Vel. But I just found out about the Motorola milestone which is basically the same except with GSM and Multitouch support which I believe that is a huge plus in terms of games and... web browsing? :~

Here's the info I found on wiki:
Motorola Milestone

The quad-band[19] GSM/UMTS version of the Droid is the Motorola Milestone.[20] While the phone's internal hardware (besides cellular) is the same, differences include out-of-the-box multi-touch support enabled, a trial version of Motorola's MOTONAV service (instead of Droid's US-only[21] Google Maps Navigation) and an 8GB microSD Card, instead of the Droid's 16GB microSD card.[22] The launch countries for the Motorola Milestone included Germany, Italy and Argentina on November 9, 2009.[23] Other European countries soon followed.

Joining this trend, a new, North American, version of the Motorola Milestone was released in Canada in February 2010. This new version supports 3G bands II and V instead of bands I and VIII so it is compatible with Rogers, Bell, and Telus in Canada, and with AT&T in the U.S. At this time only Telus has announced availability.[24]

Unlike the DROID, the Milestone has a bootloader that only allows signed Firmware to load. This prevents users from booting Custom ROM images not signed by Motorola that have become popular in the Droid modding community. This has caused discontent in the Droid community in markets foreign to the US. Whether the disablement of custom boot loaders is due to retailer, carrier, manufacturer, or legal restrictions is unknown and the primary reason(s) may differ in each individual market.

I'm concerned about that bootloader. I'm sure hackers will get past it but it seems to troublesome, If it's not easy to hack then i ain't buying it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
LEntless Apr 15, 2010, 09:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The problem with 4G is that it won't be available in many cities upon launch- therefore it doesn't really have that much use as of yet. Maybe in a couple years or so.

3G is still lacking in service in some places still.

I'll be trying it out sometime. If it's as great as MC says, then I might get one early next month.

Intel Q6600 @ 3.1 GHz | Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 | 2GB OCZ DDR2 800 mhz | Seagate 320 GB | AuzenTech X-Fi Forte 7.1

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.