Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1132 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 03:24pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows 7 /

Windows 7's Fatal 5.1 Issue? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
kOrny Feb 11, 2010, 09:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Windows 7's Fatal 5.1 Issue?
k0rny said:
Not sure if this will help, but my friend with the Z-5500's had a similar issue (he was using a CREATIVE SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card and Windows 7). His music would only play 2 channel unless he changed a setting on the speaker control itself, not settings on the computer. His speakers had a little interface with a scroll wheel or something. We changed the speaker output settings (to "Surround Sound" IIRC) and he got 5.1, though I don;t think it was TRUE 5.1... he just had sound coming out of all the speakers.

did u try that for ur music?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael C Feb 12, 2010, 09:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I've found that music doesn't support 5.1. Games for work great in 5.1 and some other audio sources do too.

john albrich Feb 12, 2010, 10:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 12, 2010, 10:46am EST

Meats_Of_Evil said:

I tried this video out on an XP Pro system and an XP MCE2005 system and was surprised by the results. On BOTH systems, integrated mobo audio is being used:

Passed (expected sound from expected speaker)
OK LeftFront
OK Center
OK Subwoofer

Failed (no sound at all)
XX RightFront
XX LeftRear

Failed (speaker output sent to wrong speaker)
RightRear, was emitted through the RightFront speaker (XP Pro)
RightRear, was emitted through both the RF and LF speakers (XP MCE2005)

Note that the RightFront output was NOT sent to the RightRear speaker, so it wasn't a simple matter of the signals being transposed.

Yet both systems pass all 5.1 sound diagnostics from within Windows, and play DVD-based movies, etc. in true 5.1 according to my ears, and also verified separately by using the sound test/setup feature on a DVD.

I'd suspect the video player codecs used to render the website's video to be a prime suspect in my situation.

edit:
Forgot to add the separate datum for the XP MCE2005 system on the RightRear speaker.

Michael C Feb 12, 2010, 10:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try an MP3 song John and let me know what happens.

kOrny Feb 12, 2010, 10:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah... but im saying if you mess with your speaker settings (if your speakers have an external control, like the Z-5500's), you should be able to get music playing out of all 5 speakers.

Michael C Feb 12, 2010, 10:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
k0rny said:
Yeah... but im saying if you mess with your speaker settings (if your speakers have an external control, like the Z-5500's), you should be able to get music playing out of all 5 speakers.

Yes, you 'can' set speaker mode to Matrix, and it does play out of all 5 speakers but the quality is horrible. It's just taking stereo sound and outputting it to all speakers. I am going with the 2.1 sound for music, it's much better than using Matrix or CMSS. I think I am good now - just didn't realize MP3's were going to be in stereo.

kOrny Feb 12, 2010, 10:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ya most all music is just stereo. True surround sound is only in most movies and games.

john albrich Feb 12, 2010, 11:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:
Try an MP3 song John and let me know what happens.

I'll have to find an MP3 in 5.1 format to try it out. Probably a good MP3 5.1 audio test file out there somewhere?

But new info, I also tried the other test video suggested by Meats on page 1
Test1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tnrd1yYJc
subTest2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jx0pEVlT3Y
subTest3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcH_1IR2iJQ

and best I can tell all three are rendered in 5.1...especially tests1 and 2. Very clear differentiation between the sounds from each speaker, and it definitely seems the front and rear sounds are properly assigned.

This tends to strengthen my belief that the video encoding/decoding differences are making the difference in my situation.

kOrny Feb 12, 2010, 11:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Michael C Feb 12, 2010, 11:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I actually meant to try a regular MP3 to make sure it only plays in 2.1 - as mine does. I will try that site when I get home Korny.

Liquid Shadow Feb 12, 2010, 11:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yep everybody's right. Regular music are 2.1 only, unless the CD was made with Dolby/DTS digital surround, which I have one.

the Z-5500 has a mode which is called Stereo X2, it's not like the matrix mode on most surround speakers, it simply takes the stereo signal and play it through the rear speakers, so the front and back speakers are playing exactly the same thing. It doesn't alter the signal like matrix or Dolby ProLogic (god they sound awful), and the center channel doesn't get used at all.

One way you can achieve that with your Z-5300 is to get a stereo splitter, plug it into the Front out of your Auzentech, and have it going out to both the front and back speakers. But I guess it's really not worth it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
ADK 1Q AR Laptop
Core i5 520M | 4GB RAM | ATI HD4570
kOrny Feb 12, 2010, 11:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah I personally dont care for 5.1 surround sound. Its nice to hear it when I go see a movie at the movie theater, but at home its dumb, unless the speakers are in the wall so they are hidden (along with the wiring).

If I'm playing a game I'll put on some headphones, but other than that I just let my 3.1 setup do all of the work for music and movies.

Liquid Shadow Feb 12, 2010, 12:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well again, for my it's all about quality. I used to love my Logitech Z-5500 in movies because I can get true digital DTS surround, and it sounded amazing. But now I watch movies through my Alesis studio monitors, which is 2.0, but they are more life-like and exciting than the Z-5500, I'd rather have high quality 2.0/2.1 than so-so 5.1. My Z-5500 is basically sitting on my desktop collecting dust now.

--------------------------------------------------------------
ADK 1Q AR Laptop
Core i5 520M | 4GB RAM | ATI HD4570
kOrny Feb 12, 2010, 12:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yup. Stereo is all you need.

Michael C Feb 12, 2010, 01:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm alright with this, now that I understand that MP3s will do this. Games sound great through 5.1 and man this Forte card really does the job, especially with headphones.

Rooin Feb 12, 2010, 01:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had a similar sound issue with 7 and a Turtle Beach card I own.

I have a Turtle Beach Montego DDL that I loved. Because it was only $50 when I bought it. Worked beautifully in XP with my Z5500's. When I made the switch to 7, it failed hard. No drivers for it from turtle beach. So I said bye-bye to digital 5.1

So I put in a Audigy gamer 7.1 card that a friend had laying around. An that works fine. I plug the 3 analog plugs for my Z5500's into that, an I get 5.1 in supported games, and also get 5.1 music, no 2xstereo or X-Fi to enable. I play music from iTunes, and songs that have channel changes, Like The Faint, work fine. I'm not sure if iTunes does something, but I can't think of a song that I have that doesn't play out the rear speakers. An I don't have to use any special settings on the base stand for the speakers, or the Audigy, just told windows that its a 5.1 setup, channel tests all pass fine.

Recently Turtle Beach released beta drivers for the Montego so I installed the card and installed the drivers, but to my dismay they encountered a similar problem that your having. Depending on the analog connections to the card, and the software "Speaker layout" settings I never could get 5.1, I could only get 2.1: FL,FR, C & Sub worked. Setting the speakers to 5.1 in the software, I got FL, FR, Center, and when RR played it played from RL. Never any sound from RR and Sub. Changing the analogs, moving Rear 5.1 to the 7.1 slot, I got FL, FR, Center, and LR out LR but still no sub or RR. After messing with connections and configurations in the software for an hour I was so fed up, I switched back to the Audigy. It didn't matter if I was playing music or a game. The rears would not play right, and no sub output unless the software was set to 2.1 speakers. Disappointed to say the least.

================================================================
"Even Satan wouldn't use customer service as a form of punishment." - Lucas http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Chad Mcaulay Feb 12, 2010, 10:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 12, 2010, 10:08pm EST

Michael C said:
Those types of tests don't work! Youtube and FLV videos don't support 5.1 lol. Games do work in Full 5.1! Interesting...I think I get it now. Music still plays in 2.1. I guess that's just how it is.

Well, as long as sounds come from the speakers in some form or fashion, right? I do apologize, though, in that I don't think I was following the issue too well. I thought from your posts that you wouldn't have any sound playback on 2.1 sources from any speakers. Glad things are somewhat sorted for ya, Michael. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: Outdated
Meats_Of_Evil Feb 13, 2010, 04:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys I found a website with free 5.1 music. The music is pretty cool, kind of a mellowish sound. It has like an Opeth kind of feel, If you love the Damnnation album you'll love these files.

http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html

Pretty awesome surround too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
frank n Oct 17, 2012, 10:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try enabling speaker fill in your mother board's audio software like realtek etc....if not tied already

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.