Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 998 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 09:10am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Linux /

Ubuntu 9.10 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
pickboy87 Mar 21, 2010, 09:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Mar 21, 2010, 09:53pm EDT

>> Re: Ubuntu 9.10
McFly said:
Most Linux distributions have good package managers: in Arch Linux, the command to install Firefox would be:
sudo pacman -Sy firefox

Sorry, didn't mean to double post, but please don't install packages with -Sy in Arch. You can end up creating dependency problems.

Simply update your repositories with $ sudo pacman -Syy, then install firefox (or any program) with $ sudo pacman -S firefox

Edit: Missed a parenthesis.

Apr 20, 2010, 04:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 20, 2010, 04:15pm EDT

>> Re: Ubuntu 9.10
pickboy87 (68988) said on Mar 21, 2010 at 06:52pm PDT:
Sorry, didn't mean to double post, but please don't install packages with -Sy in Arch. You can end up creating dependency problems.

From what I've read on the forums, that's half right ... as I understand it, you need to sync the pacman database and then actually upgrade the existing packages (-Syu) before installing a program (-S).

Otherwise, you're just forcing the pacman database sync (-Syy) and then installing the program, which is just as good as pacman -Syy firefox.

Either way, thanks for bringing that to my attention, it's certainly worth noting.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.