Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1146 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 10:36pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Cooling and Airflow /

Using Superglue for cooling? *check it out* 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Dublin_Gunner Apr 19, 2010, 05:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Using Superglue for cooling? *check it out*
You could try and maybe spot weld them together?

Come on, get proper modding here!

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dr. Peaceful Apr 19, 2010, 06:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Super glue, if you're talking about ones with a little squeeze tube, is not meant for heavy duty bonding of heavy objects. Especially, like you said, you're only using small drops on the corners, there's no way it can hold the weight of the 2nd heat sink. Unless you're using a PC case, which the mobo is laying flat horizontally.

You need some heavy duty epoxy sealant in order to do the job. Or just weld it together, like already mentioned. Or make some kind of clip to fasten them together.

Now regarding heat transfer, like many already mentioned, stacking 2 heat sinks together may not really improve heat transfer. It all depended on the thermal property of the heat sinks. The contact surface between the two sinks will need to be seamless. Surface you showed in your picture, with grooves and imprint of a company name, will definitely not work. You probably need to lap and polish the surfaces, and join them together with even application of thermal paste / glue.

Kathryn D Apr 19, 2010, 07:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would not recommend glue for any sort of purpose around a heat source.

Seattle was burnt down because someone in a shoe repair store heated up glue. Glue does not boil off like water or other liquids. It reaches a certain temperature and then flash ignites.

It's much like candle wax. You can melt it, and stay liquid, but if you increase the temperature it suddenly is on fire.

I think heating up glue is a great way to create nasty fumes as well. Super-glue fumes are not exactly non-toxic.

Birds can drop dead from those types of fumes so I hope you don't have a parrot in the house.

Dublin_Gunner Apr 19, 2010, 07:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
IMO if you swapped the heatsinks around you would have a better chance of this having some sort of impact.

Put the second, non gigabyte copper heatsink on the chipset, and try to adhere the gigabyte one to that,.

There is far more surface area on the copper heatsink, so far more contact to the Gigabyte heatsink would be made, and therefore theoretically more heat transfer.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Dr. Peaceful Apr 19, 2010, 08:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 19, 2010, 08:04pm EDT

For the last poster (Kathryn D), you have a point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
"In its liquid form, cyanoacrylate consists of monomers of cyanoacrylate molecules... a flashpoint of 79 C"

If the NB is heating up more than 79C, it could burn. But then he's not talking about applying it directly on the chip... he's talking about bonding two heat sinks, which the surface could be much cooler. But who knows...

Dude, just use thermal glue and some clip to fasten the heat sinks, if you really want to experiment with your "experimental stack-able heat sinks". LOL ;)

GtoX (capt Guns) Apr 21, 2010, 01:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hehe oki, well i got a nice input from everyone.. i think ill give it a go anyways.. if it stops bonding itll just fall off.. maybe make a spark? but im being positive on it..

and the super glue i use is bought in a 3 pack at the dollar store :D, and i have to say, that crap is absolutely amazing!!! ive used it all around the house, and it can take a sh*t load of weight so im not worried about a tiny heatsink..

gonna give it all a go in a few days and post back the results with pictures of course..

and to anyone else wondering, the heatsinks look similar to the ones i posted in the picture, but does not have any text or anything..

its a simple AMD mobo, asus M2n-CM with AMD x2 4200+, 2 gigs ddr 800 xms2, 8600gt, 500watt PSU, Aplus twin tower with 2x250mm fans...

Main Rig--- 2700k @ 3.7ghz ,Scythe Samurai ZZ @ 54c load ASUS DCII GTX570 780mhz@64c load, P8P67-m Pro, 2x4gb xms3 1333mhz, 128gb SSD + 4x500gb lagring, OCZ Modxstream Pro 600watt, In-win Dragon Slayer 140mm+120+96mm,120mm
~Vel Apr 24, 2010, 01:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 24, 2010, 01:20am EDT

So... I'm going to assume this busted the comp? No sign in for over two days now >_>;

Meats_Of_Evil Apr 24, 2010, 01:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hope he didn't burn the glue, that thing is flammable!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
~Vel May 02, 2010, 04:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Eleven days later with no update or login..

Jon Bailey May 02, 2010, 06:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hope the glue didnt ignite....

"The world is a temple to the self, and these days, there's alot of believers"
Dublin_Gunner May 02, 2010, 06:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
~Vel said:
Eleven days later with no update or login..

I think it erupted on him - flights were postponed around Europe and everything!

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
G. G. May 02, 2010, 08:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ohhhh..... so all that news about volcano spewing out all that smoke stuff up into the atmosphere is just a front for the environmentalists.... tree huggers...... when it is actually Capt's house exploding...... ahhhhhh

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
~Vel May 03, 2010, 01:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hahahahaha.

Dr. Peaceful May 03, 2010, 07:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Come to think of it, Sweden is not too far from Iceland... ;) Is Eyjafjallajokull pronounced as "superglue"? ;)

Dublin_Gunner May 03, 2010, 07:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dr. Peaceful said:
Come to think of it, Sweden is not too far from Iceland... ;) Is Eyjafjallajokull pronounced as "superglue"? ;)

No, obviously thats not how your pronounce it!! tut tut!

Thats its translation.....

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Dr. Peaceful May 03, 2010, 07:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ah... I see. ;)

BoT May 03, 2010, 07:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
instead of stacking the heatsing, replace the oem heatsink with the aftermarket heatsink.
if you still need more dissipation add a fan, not another heatsink.
the fan will be much more effective then a stacking heatsink

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.