Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 532 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 15 - 11:35pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

[Solved] How to recover windows 7 bitlocker encrypted partition? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Jun 19, 2010, 03:38pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: How to recover windows 7 bitlocker encrypted partition?
I haven't used "repair-bde" before, so I'm unsure just how it works. It sounds like it might have just created a copy of the data while still encrypted, so your new backup drive might itself be encrypted.

Since you actually have a partition to work with now, try a command like:
manage-bde -unlock C: -RecoveryPassword

Where C: is the drive letter, and type in the recovery password after -RecoveryPassword (I think, it's been a while).

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Hit Machine Jun 21, 2010, 12:11am EDT Report Abuse
Mcfly, there is a problem now. As I had 4 partitions on hard drive, and gave that unallocated space a drive letter, the disk management tool asked that all the disks will be converted into dynamic disks. I clicked on yes and all were converted into dynamic disks.

Then I tried all bitlocker commands to recover the data on that drive with recovery key (All whichever were possible - repair-bde, manage-bde etc.) but after decrypting process there always comes a message to run chkdsk <drive letter> /f command to use the decrypted drive. and When i do that, there comes a message that chkdsk command is only for NTFS system and not available for raw drives.

Then I checked on internet from various websites that bitlocker is not compatible with dynamic disks. :(

Now if I want to convert the drive into the last state (may be raw or basic disk so that data may become recoverable), can you please suggest something? Any software to do this or something else?

Hit Machine Jul 02, 2010, 07:54am EDT Report Abuse
>> [Solved] How to recover windows 7 bitlocker encrypted partition?
If you don't have the recovery key of the encrypted drive, No software can recover the drive except buitlocker itself that only if you have the recovery password. So if you don't have recovery password, don't waste your time in downloading new softwares and testing them for recovery.

I Converted dynamic disks into basic disks with Partition Wizard Professional Edition.

Used HxD editor to check from where the encrypted partition actually starts.

Then used Active@Undelete to start the partition from exactly same sector from where encrypted partition was starting as viewed by HxD editor. (Caution: Do not format the partition during this process)

Reboot with Windows 7 CD.

Go to Install Windows and then Repair.

In command Prompt, typed:
repair-bde <Bitlocker encrypted drive> <Output drive where contents to be recovered> -rp -******-****** 48 digits bitlocker encrypted key. (CAUTION: Make sure there is no contents on output drive because all will be lost in this process).

After decryption to output drive, run chkdsk <output drive>/f

Done!!!!!!!

Thanks to Mcfly for his help.

Jul 02, 2010, 12:10pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: [Solved] How to recover windows 7 bitlocker encrypted partition?
Nice work! And thanks for following up, I had ran right out of ideas on this. I'm happy to know it's possible, even in the state your drives were in. Very well done.

Manik Sood (93345) said on Jul 02, 2010 at 04:54am PDT:
If you don't have the recovery key of the encrypted drive, No software can recover the drive except buitlocker itself that only if you have the recovery password.

Well, outside of the NSA, that is. >_>

<_<

abigael salvador Feb 13, 2011, 12:46am EST Report Abuse

Hit Machine Feb 13, 2011, 03:00am EST Report Abuse
Please tell me what happened with your windows?

abigael salvador Feb 13, 2011, 06:12pm EST Report Abuse

Hit Machine Feb 14, 2011, 12:02pm EST Report Abuse
Read all the posts and use some recovery software to recover unencrypted partition & then use command:

In command Prompt, typed:
repair-bde <Bitlocker encrypted drive> <Output drive where contents to be recovered> -rp -******-****** 48 digits bitlocker encrypted key. (CAUTION: Make sure there is no contents on output drive because all will be lost in this process).

After decryption to output drive, run chkdsk <output drive>/f

I hope it will help.

Shubham Puri Apr 02, 2011, 06:23am EDT Report Abuse
HEY, ihave a same problem, but can you tell me how decrypt drive in details by comands.........

Hit Machine Apr 02, 2011, 06:40am EDT Report Abuse
I have already mentioned how to recover. Please try the combination of software and commands as explained in the thread.

Elisha Namakhoma Aug 07, 2011, 11:55am EDT Report Abuse
Hi i have a samsung 500gigs that i used on windows 7 ultimate which i partitioned to 150g and 350g, so i locked the 350g partition with bitlocker and yesterday i decided to remove bitlocker on that partition and there was a power failure while the decryption was on 2% after that i switched on the computer and it freeze on the Microsoft windows screen but if i disconnect the drive windows will open just fine. So i tried to put it to connect it with a external usb and the first partition is there on my computer and the bitlocked partition doesn't appear at all i even tried to connect on a windows XP machine it opened and the bitlocked partition wants to format..

Please help coz i wanted to try the (repair-bde) command but i don't know how to specify the drive letter because it doesn't appear on my computer only the ather partition wich was not locked appears

Hit Machine Aug 07, 2011, 03:38pm EDT Report Abuse
As i know, the encrypted partition will not be having any name. So you need to follow the same procedure which I have written. If you struck at any step, let me know. But that is the only way that worked, which I know.

xtreme xx Aug 31, 2011, 08:13am EDT Report Abuse
I lost my partition bitloker. i had 3 partition, 2 NTFS and 1 Bitloker, i had recover 2 NTFS partition, but the bitloker partition i can't find. Anyone can help me identify the exact area where the partition begins Bitloker partition with HxD? I can not understand were is de farst sector of de bitloker partition. Help please!

Adnan Hamza Oct 21, 2011, 12:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Mr . Manik Sood i have read your solution of the problem in this topic please can you explain more the process of starting the partition from the acual sector it starts how you did it exactly ..thank you..

Adnan Hamza Oct 21, 2011, 12:59pm EDT Report Abuse

Hit Machine Oct 22, 2011, 07:00am EDT Report Abuse
http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz/appnote3.html

http://www.pc-3000flash.com/eng/help/help_information/ntfs/boot.htm

Visit these links. These show how an NTFS Boot sector starts from. You are write the same start binary code in HXD and find the start of partition.

saju s Nov 11, 2011, 10:57pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Manik
I have doubt my Win7 has been crashed it has one encrypted drive .I reinstalled the OS while reinstalling i accidently resize the c partion after realising that it will affect the encrypted i revert back to same before the os installation with the old partion size,now the encrypted partion is showing as RAW partion .whether the repair command will help to recover my encrypted drive .I have the encryption key

Thanks
Saju

Hit Machine Nov 14, 2011, 12:53pm EST Report Abuse
Yes it will work. Take steps / precautions as I mentioned in the earlier thread.

Adnan Hamza Nov 20, 2011, 12:15pm EST Report Abuse
hi mr manik sod .
how are you brother .. in tjhe topic above tried many times to start the partion table from the right positon but no way to do this by my self so i need your help if you have time .. i wantto send you the photos shows the parions and its detail inshall you can instruct me to solve my big hard problem.. and will be very grateful to you my brother Sood ..i will upload the screen sots please try to help me
thank you in advance.
http//www.mediafire.com/?6hnddphl8dn16bz

Hit Machine Nov 29, 2011, 10:17am EST Report Abuse
http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz/appnote3.html

http://www.pc-3000flash.com/eng/help/help_information/ntfs/boot.htm

Visit these links. These show how an NTFS Boot sector starts from. You are write the same start binary code in HXD and find the start of partition.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.