Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 923 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 561.27 kbit/s April 19 - 11:10pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

XP RAM drive??? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
john albrich Mar 02, 2008, 12:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: XP RAM drive???
shuja rahman said:
What is RAM drive,,,is it a sort of Virtual memory.

OFCOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramdrive

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jon baird Jul 13, 2008, 03:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ram drive is not retarded... it works wonders... very fast...

I did it... check this out... to all of you... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248014-29-drive-push-limit

if you want a good driver for a ram drive... let me know... i can direct you in the right direction... you can have as much as you would like ... up to as much as ram you have... sugesstion: 2gigs, set about 700mb for ram drive. and set SWP file to that drive letter.

***Renegeek Computers***
http://www.renegeek.com
info@renegeek.com

jon baird Jul 14, 2008, 04:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
***Starbuck this is for you***

your quote...

Win XP reports 3 GB of Ram when in reality there is 4 GB. I made a 750 MB ramdrive swapfile and the PC is humming along quite nicely. I even picked up some points in some benchmarks. No blue screens, less HDD access. So far I believe that I have achieved what I wanted: more ram used with at least 3 GB for Win XP and programs to play in. I even put my temp files on the ramdrive so I never have to clean them out. I play a lot of memory thirsty games like FEAR and HL2 and not evn a glitch and shorter load times.
--------------------------------

this is my topic on another web site... and have not got the correct answer yet. and you may be the person i'm looking for... See this web site... thanks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248014-29-drive-push-limit

This is my ? for you.

right now i have 2gigs, and have set. a 700mb ram drive, with 675min 690max for my swp file. on that ram drive... and its very fast. xp boot time is 16.4 sec.

now, my ? is, if i get 2 more gigs. =4gigs. and set a 2gig ram drive, and set SWP 1950min 1995max for the swp. (will the OS, get the other 2gigs, or will it still be only 1gig, because of the winXP 32bit issue...

i hope this is not comfuseing... if so, please let me know...

your the only person in here, that seems to know what your doing... , of what i''m trying to do.. and such...

i love tweaking thes**t out of my pc, with little money... and make my pc screem... :)

hope to hear from ya...

thanks to all. (everybody has great advice... thanks.)

Tarek Wahab Feb 27, 2009, 04:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I do have i-RAM from GIGABYTE it cost me around $ 220 with Full Memory (4GB).
And I install XP Pro, But Unforsionatly I end up with 169 MB free space after I install the DRivers and Autocad Software. So this free space I think is not sutable for running fast, it is true Internet is getting very speed But Autocad is som what is not speed as I expect.
Does any one has a Solution.
If Not Can some one gide How to assigne a RAM Drive in My Hard Drive ???
I appreciated.

jon baird Mar 02, 2009, 02:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a ram drive software. For XP and Vista, Full ver. Ram drive...

just be careful , when setting up ram drive... because XP needs at least 256mb of ram for its self to run, and vista, probley needs 512...

so if you have 4 gigs of ram, you could make 3 gigs of ram drive and leave 1 gig for the os...

if you want the ram drive software... send me your email address?

here is mine. info@renegeek.com / or / renegeek@yahoo.com...

Russell Sharpe Aug 11, 2009, 12:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There is one way I can think of to get windows to boot from a ram drive. It would have to be a fairly large drive though.
Uninstall your ram drive, and reinstall it as a hard drive, NOT RAM.
It should be given a drive letter, such as D:
Uninstall windows and reinstall it under your "ram drive" which is considered a hard drive by your computer.
Due to the fact that you would no longer have a ram drive CREATE A LARGE PAGING FILE BEFORE YOU DO THIS.
Now, whatever is left on the ram drive you installed windows on, use as a paging file, as this is your boot partition and you need it for dumping files or whatever. You should probably have a small fast external hard drive to use as a paging file to. At least 4 Gigabytes.
Keep in mind it will be very slow and I believe you might not be able to because windows probably takes up more than any ram drive. You may need a ram upgrade to do this.

rupert hallerman Jan 13, 2010, 04:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Actually I think they want a ramdisk- which is not when your computer dumps memory to a hard disk.

Some programs like photoshop, or audio/video editing software use alot of temporary files, which usually result in the computer accessing the hard drive often at certain points. But if you dump those files into a ramdisk, you never use the hard drive and you run at your memory bus speed- which is phenomenally faster then your hard drive.

You can even run your operating system fully loaded into ram. Long boot up, but windows itself will boot and run extremely responsively

~Vel Jan 13, 2010, 04:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
rupert hallerman said:
Actually I think they want a ramdisk- which is not when your computer dumps memory to a hard disk.

Some programs like photoshop, or audio/video editing software use alot of temporary files, which usually result in the computer accessing the hard drive often at certain points. But if you dump those files into a ramdisk, you never use the hard drive and you run at your memory bus speed- which is phenomenally faster then your hard drive.

You can even run your operating system fully loaded into ram. Long boot up, but windows itself will boot and run extremely responsively

Not to bring you down, but this is a pretty old topic.

Dublin_Gunner Jan 13, 2010, 04:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
~Vel said:
rupert hallerman said:

Not to bring you down, but this is a pretty old topic.

Not only that, but windows requires the use of a swap file - so whoever started the rubbish about deleting your pagefile & setting aside ram for this usage started an urban myth.

For about 2 years people scrambled to shut off their pagefiles, only to realise that it offered no performance benefit whatsoever.

Windows will still set up a pagefile and use it.....

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Gil Anderson Apr 12, 2011, 04:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 12, 2011, 04:57am EDT

Okay, I installed from the hardware wizard (which offered two types of ramdrive to install? I installed them both just to be on the safe side), and then entered the registry key I made from copypastaing the command.

nothing freaking happened, no ram drive showed up.

Where is my drive made entirely out of RAM? HOW DO I FREAKING DO IT?!?!?! I want a simple way of creating myself a nice little RAM drive in Windows XP Professional, I plan on moving my temporary internet files to said ramdrive, so my internet load/display speed will be flawless.

jon baird said:
I have a ram drive software. For XP and Vista, Full ver. Ram drive...

just be careful , when setting up ram drive... because XP needs at least 256mb of ram for its self to run, and vista, probley needs 512...

so if you have 4 gigs of ram, you could make 3 gigs of ram drive and leave 1 gig for the os...

if you want the ram drive software... send me your email address?

here is mine. info@renegeek.com / or / renegeek@yahoo.com...

Actually, this isn't entirely true.
Recently, I bought myself a nice little Compaq presario 1930 laptop on eBay.
It came with a couple of gigabytes harddrive, and windows 2000 on it. It had very little RAM, and that's because it's built in RAM, not a chip I install. 30-something MB.
Anyway, I tossed the old harddrive, put in a 60 GB harddrive, and toss Windows XP Pro on that particular computer (this is not the computer I am trying to set up a ram drive on btw).
It worked perfectly, just horribly slowly.
I later installed a 100-something odd MB chip in it, and now, it works just fine for speed and all. A perfect machine for everything except multimedia. And I wasn't gonna use it for youtube or anything so that suits me just fine.
It had a single USB 1.0 port in it, so I installed a PCMCIA-2-USB2.0 hub card, which gives me four USB 2.0 ports. all it asks is that I plug a little external power cable into that useless 1.0 port. works for me! And then I installed USB to wifi and USB to ethernet.
Voila!
In fact, I'm using that very computer, RIGHT NOW, to post this!

I'm good with getting stuff done, however I can't figure out this RAMDRIVE issue. please help!

Lorne Martin Dec 19, 2011, 06:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all. I was also trying to set up a ram disc to avoid slow reading of the hard disk and came accross this artical which explains how the ram disc works, the advantages and even suggests a good free program.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/how-do-i-us...tions/3430
Hope that helps.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.