Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 886 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 26 - 02:57am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Monitors /

Led monitors? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Gerritt Jul 16, 2010, 06:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Led monitors?
N1H1L1TY said:
This thread got me very interested in LED screens. I went to check some out at Frys the other day and DAYUM are they sexy! I want one! That ASUS looks like the way to go, but they didn't have it at Frys... just some Samsungs and Viewsonic.

Remember these are LED backlit screens! not OLED screens we are talking about.
They are still LCD.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
kOrny Jul 16, 2010, 08:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ya i know. do they have OLED monitors?

<a class= Jul 21, 2010, 04:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 21, 2010, 04:32pm EDT

Officially, no. They were supposed to be out back in 2008, but at the rate the things are going now, you'll may be able to afford one by 2012-2013, and 40" OLED TV's will probably cost over 5 grand when they come out, because it's a lot better than plasma, LED,LCD

I remember hearing about OLED back in 2003 and they said it was gonna be very very very cheap because they're cheap to produce. What bullshit that was...

Gerritt Jul 21, 2010, 07:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
sovietdoc said:
Officially, no. They were supposed to be out back in 2008, but at the rate the things are going now, you'll may be able to afford one by 2012-2013, and 40" OLED TV's will probably cost over 5 grand when they come out, because it's a lot better than plasma, LED,LCD

I remember hearing about OLED back in 2003 and they said it was gonna be very very very cheap because they're cheap to produce. What bullshit that was...

Thus my purple face now.
Great technology.
Only commoditized on very small screens for now.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
G. G. Aug 10, 2010, 10:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gerritt

I think I am past purple on waiting to pull a trigger on getting a new set.....

I am still sport'n a 1996 40" Mitsubishi w/Corian top CRT set... heheh.. still works great...

But if I were to get a new set today, it will most likely be one of backlit LED type.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Gerritt Aug 12, 2010, 07:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You know what G.G.?
If any of my massive CRT's were still working, I'd still probably like them more from a user/display perspective.
Unfortunately they are hard to come by today, and they cost a bundle to run!
No matter how you look at it a CRT is an ANALOG technology, and that's just not acceptable in todays world, even if it was/is a very good technology.

I perceive that in the future our LCD/LED technology and the drivers behind them will again become more analog, but thats a generation off.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Michael C Aug 12, 2010, 07:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In regards to this thread, did micro ever get the monitor?

Coolermaster HAF932 | Intel SandyBridge 2500K | G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800 8GB | AMD HIS HD6950 2GB | Kingston 64GB V-Series Gen-ll SSD | Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 | Corsair TX-750w | Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
micro Aug 12, 2010, 10:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:
In regards to this thread, did micro ever get the monitor?

I truly considered getting the asus 23" for $200 on newegg. I didn't like the stand and would have to build a wall mount. I found some other ones such as a samsung that all the reviews said was better then the asus. color was mentioned, but they were $300 and no wall mount. A new viewsonic came out that was only $150 (june release sale) but it was so new, there weren't any reviews on it. Also my last 2 viewsonics broke. I hate there support and turn around time was 3 months. I fixed the second one my self (new circuit board) it broke shortly there after (same problem)

The more i thought about it the more i thought i would wait till the next models came out, since we are still early into using led back light. Not that they aren't good or that the led would be improved, but if i wait a little longer i can get a better model (rather then the first release). Then i will get better options on hdmi, a wall mount etc.

The monitors either had wall mount and dvi with the plugs straight out the back, or no wall mount and hdmi straight down. I primarely only use my left eye, so going from a 21" to a 23" i would need to move the monitor back further. Hence needing the wall mount and connectors facing down if possible.

My other thought was if i wanted to get a 120hz monitor, those are about $400. It isn't that they would be better because of the 120hz, but from the reviews, they had better panels in them. I don't watch a lot of media on my monitor since i have a nice tv.

I will most likely wait until next summer. Thanks for asking though. Also, my work is seasonal and with some good games coming out this fall, that was another thought to hold off, though $200 isn't that much.

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, 2600k @ 4.0
16 gig Corsair Vengeance
Evga gtx 260 216, samsung 2253lw"
Baracuda 7,200.12 CoolerMaster 212 +
Win 7 64, fsp fx700-gln, Razer DA,G15
Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid
Silence in the face of evil is it's self Ev
Adam Kolak Aug 13, 2010, 12:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wonder if when it comes to an LCD monitor made for PC use if the input lag is as bad as the average LCD TV. I would guess it is not as bad because an LCD made for monitor use probably does less processing then an LCD TV. Some of those 120hz LCD TVs from Samsung and Sony have a 60ms to 80ms input lag which means your display is always a few frames behind real time. A display with a high input lag time is really bad for gaming especially if you are a serious gamer and play online. From what I have read you want something with a input lag of 40ms at the highest for gaming. A CRT has virtually no input lag and is used to test input lag.

For more information on input lag:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.