Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 424 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s March 07 - 06:20am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

I think I may have a CPU problem. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Martin Patterson Oct 06, 2010, 09:40pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok here's my original system which is hooked up to an APC battery back-up XS1500:
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3
Phenom II x4 940 Black Ed Deneb core
8GB (4x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024OCXE GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3
MS Vista 64bit Ultimate
and the usual keyboard, case, mouse, networking card etc.

Ths computer never ran stable so talking with friends at a local comp store we decided there was a compatibility problem since the RAM was not listed as compatible with that mobo. So I ordered an Crucial Ballistix 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800 BL2KIT25664AA80A. Installed that and the computer ran stable for a few months. Then the video went out, installed the video card into another system and it ran fine, so I took the video card to a local comp shop and they ran several tests on the card with no troubles.

We decided the PCI-e slot had become faulty so I replaced it with an ASUS M4A78-E. This computer ran stable for a couple months then I started getting stability issues, so I swapped back to the Corsair RAM, it ran stable for a little while, then it started acting up again, random crashing, odd blue screens, etc.. I took the computer in to the shop where it stayed for about 3 weeks, they had zero problems out of it. 3dmark06, and furmark all came back fine, temps remained tolerable. I bring it back and it runs fine for a few months, then start getting video errors, white and pink blocks randomly on the screen, and green and red lines which resemble an equalizer on an amp across the screen. I replaced the video card with one out of my other computer an EVGA 8800GTS, which runs fine for several months. It starts giving troubles, so I put it back into the other machine and put my GTX280 in this machine, which it almost immediately gives problems.

I talk to my friends at the comp store again, and we decide there is something with the mobo, since CPU is running. They say it either works, or it doesn't usually. So I decide to upgrade, I'm not extremely rich, but I want to try dual video cards so I decide to stick with my CPU and RAM, and the case. I order:
MSI 790XT-G45
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W
and 2- DIAMOND 5750PE51G Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
I also install a couple more fans since I will be adding twin video cards.

I assemble, install everything and it runs great, for about 2 weeks, then back to random crashing. When I play WoW, I get crashes and a Hypertransport sync flood error. I have even gotten that error once at idle. I usually leave it running all the time, and temps on Hmonitor stay below 50C. But I did notice that it never has a temp for core 1. It will also get into a rebooting loop sometimes at nights, it will wake me up just constanly boot, and reboot. I have run numerous tests, (my 3dmark06 scores were only like 16k) and everything checks out most of the time. I recently downloaded Hot CPU Tester, which it ran twice with no errors, on the 4th time it came back with errors in all 4 saying that the complex matrix tests didn't match. Memtest86 is hit or miss. Sometimes I'll get perfect tests, sometimes I'll get errors. I haven't taken it since the rebuild to see if they can test it at the comp store, but I am not made of money, and I am getting disgusted at it.. I built this thing in Feb 09, and it has been giving me trouble since.

It will run the same stability whether it has 1, 2, or 4 sticks of Corsair, or Crucial RAM. I have also tried to boot in safe mode with nothing plugged in the USB ports, except the keyboard, mouse, and my network adapter. It is still giving the same errors on Hot CPU Tester, that the matrix tests didn't add up. I am currently testing it, and it is testing fine so far. It is driving me nuts since it is completely random. I visually inspected the ground going from the box into the ground and it is there, and well seated. A friend of mine said that if I was having any power related issues, the APC would alert me, or the breaker would trip.

Any ideas out there?

Want to enjoy fewer advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Martin Patterson Oct 06, 2010, 09:43pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: I think I may have a CPU problem.
I forgot to mention that I played with BIOS several times, it is the most current version, the CPU is listed as compatible with that mobo. Right now it is set at fail-safe default, and still hit or miss.

john albrich Oct 06, 2010, 11:18pm EDT Report Abuse

It looks like something you haven't done yet is separate hardware from software possible causes.

You might consider getting Windows out of the equation and running some diagnostics that self-boot. There are several freeware test suites available. One I find useful is self-booting UBCD...not UBCD4Win.

See these links for more info.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/76911/#585123
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/76904/#584643

Although, the fact that you were experiencing problems, then moved the system to the repair shop where the problems disappeared is one item you mention that is suggestive of a hardware issue: connectors, seating, wiring, intermittent shorting, etc. Also the shop's AC mains might have been more stable than the AC output as filtered by your UPS. (e.g. if your AC mains isn't very stable and the UPS doesn't adjust it in real-time, or your UPS does adjust the AC output (using Automatic Voltage Regulation, AVR) but isn't doing so properly) The PSU in your system could be sensitive to fluctuations in the AC input voltage. This assumes the shop didn't use your UPS.

edit: add comment about whether shop used your UPS or not

Martin Patterson Oct 06, 2010, 11:49pm EDT Report Abuse
OK thanks for the tips.. I'll try that UBCD. I was thinking possibility of a wiring issue, and have everything here and ready to rewire the outlet from 12/2 to 10/2 with a separate breaker all by itself, and upping the breaker from 15a to 20a. But wanted to try to eliminate the CPU first. Though I do find it odd that it is very random, which made me think wiring or ground.

john albrich Oct 07, 2010, 12:11am EDT Report Abuse
Martin Patterson said:
...Though I do find it odd that it is very random, which made me think wiring or ground.

It's much, MUCH more likely that random problems of this nature are caused by the software or system hardware than by the AC wiring.

There have been and will be ongoing similar posts by users of PCs of all types. Random PC problems can be caused by design, manufacturing, and coding errors, defective parts, damaged parts (mechanical, electrical, and ESD), hardware and/or software incompatibilities, corrupted software, wrong/outdated drivers, viruses (malware), underpowered PSU, and more.

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.