Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1160 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 12:03am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

Intel Sandy Bridge 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Dr. Peaceful Dec 20, 2010, 03:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Dec 20, 2010, 03:12pm EST

>> Re: Intel Sandy Bridge
Sandy bridge? Doesn't sound very solid to me. I won't cross that bridge, if I were you... XD

Which one of them numb-nuts in Intel comes up with these code names anyway? ;)

Edit: It's not a reference to a town either, like Intel usually do.
From table in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_codenames
"Sandy Bridge | CPU architecture | the processor formerly called Gesher | reference unknown"

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Plug & Play Dec 20, 2010, 03:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 08:07am EST

Kieran B said:
Plug & Play said:

I think with the newer mobos out now (Asus Sabertooth in particular got voted best board around at the moment!!!) with triple channel memory and the new sandybridge chips will be a great performer.....but you gotta look at the numbers upon release....

I canceled my backorder for the gene, and have the Sabertooth in my hands. Amazing price for the quality. $215

That was my board of choice mate....fair play you will not be dissapointed. Only the on board power and reset switches are missing to be honest....Only the gaming optimised Asus Rampage Gene III was quicker plus you get 5 yrs warranty instead of the usual 3yrs...CUSTOM PC got an i7-980x EE to 4.6ghz with this board...not too shabby. But this board or the one Tam got are so sw33t at the moment.

Granted the looks are not for everyone....but I think its lovely. If bling is ya thing stay clear...lol

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
TamTheBam Dec 20, 2010, 03:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Plug & Play said:
Kieran B said:
Plug & Play said:
TamTheBam said: [quote]
I think with the newer mobos out now (Asus Sabertooth in particular got voted best board around at the moment!!!) with triple channel memory and the new sandybridge chips will be a great performer.....but you gotta look at the numbers upon release....

I canceled my backorder for the gene, and have the Sabertooth in my hands. Amazing price for the quality. $215

That was my board of choice mate....fair play you will not be dissapointed. Only the on board power and reset switches are missing to be honest....Only the gaming optimised Asus Rampage Gene III was quicker plus you get 5 yrs warranty instead of the usual 3yrs...CUSTOM PC got an i7-980x EE to 4.6ghz with this board...not too shabby. But this board or the one Tam got are so sw33t at the moment.

Granted the looks are not for everyone....but I think its lovely. If bling is ya thing stay clear...lol

Eh when did I say that quote? Plug!

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Dec 20, 2010, 03:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TamTheBam (34692) said on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:24pm PST:
I love it when men touch my buttocks.

Suspended User Dec 20, 2010, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
yeah 5 years warranty is a bonus. I actually like the looks of it, I like the ROG colours, but not the Asus blue.....and Gigabyte colours are just f**ked up.

Suspended User Dec 20, 2010, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
McFly said:
TamTheBam (34692) said on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:24pm PST:
I love it when McFly touches my buttocks.

TamTheBam Dec 20, 2010, 03:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Haha ffs man! :/

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Dec 20, 2010, 10:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tam's well known for his "sandy bridge," if you catch my drift ...

Plug & Play Dec 21, 2010, 08:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 08:08am EST

Tam,

Dont know how that quote got in there mate...I was quoting Kieran B and myself....WIERD :~

Fixed it in anyways..... ;)

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
G. G. Dec 21, 2010, 09:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 09:04am EST

Kieran B said:
Plug & Play said:
TamTheBam said: [quote]

Right now at NewEgg, the Sabertooth is on sale for 179.99 with promo code + free shipping. I really like this board.

But....... as I recall.... Sandy Bridge is a socket 1155 and I believe it is dual channel. Hence not supportable on the X58 platform that is the ASUS Sabertooth.... right??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Bungle Dec 21, 2010, 10:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Nothing you can buy right now will support Sandy Bridge... I think the first Sandy Bridge CPU's launch Jan 9th.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Suspended User Dec 21, 2010, 11:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The new Sabertooth for Sandy Bridge has a kevlar body suit on it....it's f**ked up

Plug & Play Dec 21, 2010, 03:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

G.G,

We are not saying the Saber supports the new CPU's, Kieran just hijacked the thread coz he a flash fook.

But rest assured all the best boards will be out with the new socket.

john albrich Jan 04, 2011, 03:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Per the article...

To have some advantages and some disadvantages. Biggest disadvantage looks like yet another round of hardware and software upgrades is in the near future. I suspect it will affect more than just personal computers...PC's are just the tip of the spear. The partnership between Intel and Warner Brothers is telling...especially when you see Sony, Google, DLF, Myspace, and more partnered up as well.

For example, it looks like to view upcoming movies, we will HAVE to buy yet more hardware that contains CPU embedded HDCP support, and Sandy Bridge is part of it.

It's called "Insider", and is in Intel's graphics management in Core processors.
The movies can be played only on systems with the next-generation Core processors, Regis said. (Karen Regis, Intel Consumer Client Marketing Manager)
The feature in time will trickle down to Intel's other consumer chip offerings, Regis said. Intel is also partnering with more studios and announcements will be made in the upcoming months.

Thanks to a partnership between Intel and Warner, it looks like it will obsolete any video streaming system that not include a Core CPU.

I'm betting that soon it will be no longer sufficient that you have to pay for manufacturers to license HDCP for the software, motherboard IGP, discrete cards, audio chipsets, audio cards, and displays support HDCP, but you will be REQUIRED to buy new hardware that has a CPU that includes "Insider" as well if you want to watch HD content.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9202961/Intel_s_upcomin...ing_movies

john albrich Feb 24, 2011, 07:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

New publication on Sandy Bridge
"Intel bares technical details of Sandy Bridge"
Posted: 25 Feb 2011
http://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800635637_1034362_NT_2ef37a38.HTM

SuPeR Xp Apr 25, 2011, 10:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sandy Bridge is sort of a joke, well same with AMD's Fusion I guess...

A friend bought a Shuttle PC that takes the socket LGA1156. The Shuttle barebone that includes the motherboard stated on the box as having Integrated Graphics. Well so my pal bought the Core i5 2.8 GHz Quad-Core 8MB L3 cache for his Shuttle and asked me to install everything in the system for him.

Well to my surprise, the Core i5 was indeed compatible with the system, but this mobo did not have integrated graphics... In the fine print it stated in order to enable the integrated graphics; you need an Intel CPU/GPU (Sandy Bridge)... What The? Now that is crazy, he needed say the core i3 (Sandy Bridge) to enable the Graphics or he was forced to buy a discrete graphics card for the Core i5. But that did not make sense because he wouldn't be able to use the VGA/HDMI ports in the back panel.

Anyway I just find it weird that you need a Sandy Bridge to enable the integrated graphics on that Shuttle PC. It's too bad Shuttle didn't have this properly displayed before purchase....

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Dublin_Gunner Apr 26, 2011, 04:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SuPeR Xp said:

A friend bought a Shuttle PC that takes the socket LGA1156. The Shuttle barebone that includes the motherboard stated on the box as having Integrated Graphics. Well so my pal bought the Core i5 2.8 GHz Quad-Core 8MB L3 cache for his Shuttle and asked me to install everything in the system for him.

Well to my surprise, the Core i5 was indeed compatible with the system, but this mobo did not have integrated graphics... In the fine print it stated in order to enable the integrated graphics; you need an Intel CPU/GPU (Sandy Bridge)... What The? Now that is crazy, he needed say the core i3 (Sandy Bridge) to enable the Graphics or he was forced to buy a discrete graphics card for the Core i5. But that did not make sense because he wouldn't be able to use the VGA/HDMI ports in the back panel.

Anyway I just find it weird that you need a Sandy Bridge to enable the integrated graphics on that Shuttle PC. It's too bad Shuttle didn't have this properly displayed before purchase....

If you weren't so clueless you'd know that Core i3 on 1156 has an IGPU. You obviously haven't been keeping up to date with things. And no, he doesn't need Sandy Bridge - it wouldn't even fit in his board. He needs a s1156 Core i3.

The GPU's are all on the CPU die now, not the chipset with Core ix.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SuPeR Xp Apr 26, 2011, 08:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
lol, I am fully up-to-date, just the Shuttle's advertized box and CPU support list confused me when it stated the mobo has integrated graphics, it just left a minor detail, and that is it needs a Core i3 LGA 1156 for graphics.

The Shuttle is about a year old which threw me off, I know the newer mobo versions used in the newer Shuttle's don't have integrated graphics which is why you need the CPU's that have them integrated...

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Dublin_Gunner Apr 26, 2011, 08:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SuPeR Xp said:
lol, I am fully up-to-date, just the Shuttle's advertized box and CPU support list confused me when it stated the mobo has integrated graphics, it just left a minor detail, and that is it needs a Core i3 LGA 1156 for graphics.

The Shuttle is about a year old which threw me off, I know the newer mobo versions used in the newer Shuttle's don't have integrated graphics which is why you need the CPU's that have them integrated...

I was only taking the mick!

But yeah, I suppose for the less knowledgeable, it might be an idea for them to state Integrated gfx on Core i3 (on 1156 platform).

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
G. G. Apr 26, 2011, 08:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SuPeR Xp said:

Oh come on SuPeR...... you know your intent was to take a jab at Intel....lol.... you just threw in AMD at the tail end because you felt that you had to..... lol Next time if you want to take a jab.... put AMD at the front end of that stab for change.... hahahahah... funny...

SB and Fusion are what they intent to be... gpu and cpu on a single die and have their purposes...

In the case of your friend..... All I can says he really needed to RTFM !!!! If he was not positively for sure on the requirements and knowing he is not savy enough on his own that he needed someone else to install the components.... he should have researched or ask someone's help in research for the info before he purchased... It's his own fault... Sure... Shuttle has a blame into this as well as they could have been more clearer on the "integrated part".... bottom line is that he should have came to you for assistance before going out and purchasing it on his own.

By the way..... along with the Core i3, both i5 and i7 have integrated graphics. Your friend had purchased a Core i5 that does not have integrated gpu. From the speed and cache that you mentioned on the i5 that he purchased... it looks like he bought a Core i5 750 which is a socket LGA1156 but NO integrated GPU....

bottom line In this situation..... the mix up would lie in the purchaser....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.