Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1321 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 01:19am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Monitors /

Need help deciding! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
C J Dec 21, 2010, 11:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 11:08am EST

>> Re: Need help deciding!
G. G. said:
LED LCD is an enhanced over regular LCD. You get better contrast and better "blacks". With CCFL backlight of regular LCD, the light is constantly "on". Whereas with LED, they can actually turn all or portion of the LED array "off". This gives better contrast and blacks. The reason they can do this is because with LED, they can turn off/on in an instant but with ccfl, they cant do this as the response is horrible... kinda like switching on and off a ccfl curly light bulb in your house. It takes like ions to turn on. All LCDs will eventually go LED format as it gives better visual and uses less energy. CCFL lighting will die out over time.

Any monitor will work with ATI's "Eyefinity"..... remember, this term is marketing..... a fancy name for 3 or more monitor setup. nVidia's own marketing term is "3d Surround".... in most cases, a video card can support up to "2" monitors and its has been this way for a long time. 3 or more monitors on a singe video card is something new in the past year.

If you are looking to setup a "Eyefinity" as you want to call it....... 3 monitors or more.... my suggestion is to find one of viual quality and monitors with as little bezel as possible. Try to keep the bezel as thin as possible. You dont want 2"x4" boards dividing those monitors as wide borders will ruin the visual effects...

I have an Asus EAH5870, and I want a 3 monitor setup. I went AMD because the Green camp requires me to SLI just to get 3 monitors and I think that's stupid and expensive and really disappoints me concerning Fermi....but thats a different subject.

anyway, I wanted to find out which 3 monitors will look the best.. so G.G., if YOU have to choose, which would you go with 3xLED TNs or 3xIPS Panels.?

TY for the explaination of the LED technology.. I was unaware..

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael C Dec 21, 2010, 11:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
C.J. you know 3xIPS would look better. The question is, is it worth the extra money for them? The response time is also another consideration. Are you going to be gaming a lot?

C J Dec 21, 2010, 12:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:
If you're seriously looking at 3 IPS monitors, you're likely looking at 1000+ dollars total. They may look great, but is it really worth it? The response time on a lot of them is pretty bad compared the 2ms of TN panels, not the best for games if you're a hardcore gamer. It would be much more affordable to buy 3TN panels.

Michael C.

I did not see this response until after I replied to GG. These are the 2 different IPS panels I've been eyeballing.

either 3 of these.(which they've been on sale for 259.99 before)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&...u=320-9270

or 3 of these

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&...u=320-9271

The thing I'm worried about TN panels is that the angle view is bad and since the left and right monitors will be angled, then that concerns me..

C J Dec 21, 2010, 12:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 12:50pm EST

Michael C said:
C.J. you know 3xIPS would look better. The question is, is it worth the extra money for them? The response time is also another consideration. Are you going to be gaming a lot?

Yes I will be. I primary games ATM are WoW, MW II multiplayer and BFBC2 (still need to finish the story line.

The response time on the 2 I sent on the other response is 8ms, it may not be as good as the 2ms from the TN but I thought 8 or below is still darn good...?

Bungle Dec 21, 2010, 01:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
16ms = 62.5 FPS

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
C J Dec 21, 2010, 01:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
MrBungle said:
16ms = 62.5 FPS

that happens to be the MS on my current 2007WPS.

so by that, does it mean 8ms = 125 FPS?

Michael C Dec 21, 2010, 02:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 02:02pm EST

They say most people don't notice anything under 8ms, but unless I have 2ms, I notice. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer though, playing older games like Quake and stuff like that. I don't think 8ms would be that bad for single-player games though. And of course they look a lot better.

C J Dec 21, 2010, 02:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:
They say most people don't notice anything under 8ms, but unless I have 2ms, I notice. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer though, playing older games like Quake and stuff like that. I don't think 8ms would be that bad for single-player games though. And of course they look a lot better.

hmmm decisions decisions.. Anyway, those above are the 2 I am considering.. we shall see though.

Michael C Dec 21, 2010, 03:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 03:19pm EST

Yeah they look alright. I'd get the 23" ones though. How much more is going IPS going to cost you though compared to some good TN's? Or do you have a crazy amount of money to spend? Can you see if there are some other monitors with 5ms?

C J Dec 21, 2010, 03:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:
Yeah they look alright. I'd get the 23" ones though. How much more is going IPS going to cost you though compared to some good TN's? Or do you have a crazy amount of money to spend? Can you see if there are some other monitors with 5ms?

Well what are some good TNs you recommend?

The only other IPS monitor is the 24 inch Dell and its 6ms, but its on sale for 499.99, thats way too much.

And on Newegg, the NEC and the Viewsonic IPS are both 14ms..

I think the 23 will be perfect and 8ms won't be too bad. the left and right monitors will be angled in eyefinity and TNs are bad at angles from what people and articles are saying....

Michael C Dec 21, 2010, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 21, 2010, 03:43pm EST

C J Dec 21, 2010, 04:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:

first monitor = WoW!! 27!! Id never leave the house

Second monitor = meh......

What do you think about this one x3?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

Michael C Dec 21, 2010, 04:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the MS238H, which is the same as the ML238H except mine has a different stand. It's a good monitor, and if you check the thinkness of it you'd be surprised(can't see it from those pics).

The Asus VE248H would be a great as well. I had the VH242H once, which is basically the same monitor except non-LED and it was really good.

C J Dec 21, 2010, 04:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:
I have the MS238H, which is the same as the ML238H except mine has a different stand. It's a good monitor, and if you check the thinkness of it you'd be surprised(can't see it from those pics).

The Asus VE248H would be a great as well. I had the VH242H once, which is basically the same monitor except non-LED and it was really good.

I see.. thats cool. decisions decisions..

G. G. Dec 21, 2010, 09:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
CJ

It boils down to what YOU really want in the end and set your priorities.....

Will it all be about cost?
.................................... visual quality?
............................................... quality?
.....................................................ghosting?
.........................................................color gaument?
..................................................................ms response?
.......................................................................refresh rate?
.......................................................................... one technology over the other?
................................................................................or some combination?

What will you settle for in the end....?

So if you are still stuck on wheather to go with LED TN or IPS panel.........

Here is my suggestion.....

Since you already experience with TN LCDs, i.e. home, friends, work, store display......etc....

And you really want an IPS panel but still not sure about some of its characteristics.... ...

Then I say, find a local store or e-tailer, familiarize with their store return policies....... buy a IPS panel monitor....... try it out.... If you are satisfy with its performance over a TN panel.... then you just need to buy two more.... BUT...... if you dont like its performance or decided that the performance is not worth the extra price..... then return it and turn around and buy 3 TN panels.....

Everyone has their own opinions about the two.... but the only way you will know is to actually get one and try it out... take a chance... Otherwise.... down the road when you have invested 3 TN panels, you will always wonder and dought yourself..... "What if" - sysndrome...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
C J Dec 22, 2010, 09:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
G. G. said:
CJ

It boils down to what YOU really want in the end and set your priorities.....

Will it all be about cost?
.................................... visual quality?
............................................... quality?
.....................................................ghosting?
.........................................................color gaument?
..................................................................ms response?
.......................................................................refresh rate?
.......................................................................... one technology over the other?
................................................................................or some combination?

What will you settle for in the end....?

So if you are still stuck on wheather to go with LED TN or IPS panel.........

Here is my suggestion.....

Since you already experience with TN LCDs, i.e. home, friends, work, store display......etc....

And you really want an IPS panel but still not sure about some of its characteristics.... ...

Then I say, find a local store or e-tailer, familiarize with their store return policies....... buy a IPS panel monitor....... try it out.... If you are satisfy with its performance over a TN panel.... then you just need to buy two more.... BUT...... if you dont like its performance or decided that the performance is not worth the extra price..... then return it and turn around and buy 3 TN panels.....

Everyone has their own opinions about the two.... but the only way you will know is to actually get one and try it out... take a chance... Otherwise.... down the road when you have invested 3 TN panels, you will always wonder and dought yourself..... "What if" - sysndrome...

Thanks GG. I will absorb all of this and make a determination.. first things first, money from Santa....

C J Dec 25, 2010, 11:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well it turns out that I didn't get the monitor I was hoping for for Christmas, instead my MIL bought me this one

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&...u=320-9331

so, since Im somewhat ok with it, my wife has given me permission to buy 2 more from Dell. The max res on this model is 1600x900, now with 3 of them for eyefinity, do you think they will suffice?

anyway, I hope everyone had a wonderful christmas and thx to all who answered my post.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.