Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1261 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 12:05am EST 
Hardware Analysis
      
Forums Product Prices
  Contents 
 
 

  Latest Topics 
 

More >>
 

    
 
 

  You Are Here: 
 
/ Forums / Processors /
 

  Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews" 
 
 Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Suspended User Jan 17, 2011, 04:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
Canned air form a computer store will work fine. In fact, most guarantee to be safe.

I use them, all day at work on electrical components, including CPU sockets, and have not had one issue yet in the last 2.5 years.


Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
john albrich Jan 17, 2011, 04:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jan 17, 2011, 04:35pm EST

 
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
Kieran B said:
Canned air form a computer store will work fine. In fact, most guarantee to be safe.

I use them, all day at work on electrical components, including CPU sockets, and have not had one issue yet in the last 2.5 years.


I'm really NOT trying to pick an argument, but just because they claim to be safe for electronics doesn't mean they are.

We've had multiple instances within the past 5 years of imported products heavily contaminated with chemicals that should not be present. There is no reason to assume canned air would be immune from that problem.

They should be safe, but I now investigate the company's history and chemical content where possible...and I don't buy canned air from certain countries, even if it's a major brand name.

Since my experience with the "bad taste/odor" product, I'm also looking into ways to use my own SCUBA air tanks and (contaminant free) certified SCUBA air refill sources. I can get a SCUBA tank filled for with clean air for about $5 just about anywhere...and it will last a lot longer than a can of "air".


edit to add:
re Bad taste/odor: an example of a "canned air" product's labeling for this is
Contains a bittering agent to help discourage inhalant abuse
It should also be noted this particular can of "canned air" is actually 1,1 difluoroethane and it's flammable and as it says on the can, Abuse by inhaling contents may cause instant death"

Suspended User Jan 17, 2011, 04:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jan 17, 2011, 04:59pm EST

 
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
john albrich said:
Kieran B said:
Canned air form a computer store will work fine. In fact, most guarantee to be safe.

I use them, all day at work on electrical components, including CPU sockets, and have not had one issue yet in the last 2.5 years.


I'm really NOT trying to pick an argument, but just because they claim to be safe for electronics doesn't mean they are.

We've had multiple instances within the past 5 years of imported products heavily contaminated with chemicals that should not be present. There is no reason to assume canned air would be immune from that problem.

They should be safe, but I now investigate the company's history and chemical content where possible...and I don't buy canned air from certain countries, even if it's a major brand name.

Since my experience with the "bad taste/odor" product, I'm also looking into ways to use my own SCUBA air tanks and (contaminant free) certified SCUBA air refill sources. I can get a SCUBA tank filled for with clean air for about $5 just about anywhere...and it will last a lot longer than a can of "air".

edit to add:
re Bad taste/odor: an example of a "canned air" product's labeling for this is
Contains a bittering agent to help discourage inhalant abuse
It should also be noted this particular can of "canned air" is actually 1,1 difluoroethane and it's flammable and as it says on the can, Abuse by inhaling contents may cause instant death"


SCUBA tanks are a good idea, as long as you keep checking on them to prevent moisture build up.....I think they are supposed to be checked yearly.

I agree about them claiming to be safe, but in my experience with them ( a can a week used for customers dust clogged computers/laptops ) I have not had an issue. But we are specific to one brand, so I can not stand by all brands.

kOrny Jan 17, 2011, 05:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
you just have to shake/spray it right. sometimes if you dont, you spray more than jsut the canned air, you'll get some of the chemicals that freezes**t.

stuff works good to kill scorpions. freezes them solid.

don't inhale it it gives you a mad headache after 30 seconds of 'fun'

Suspended User Jan 17, 2011, 05:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
kOrny said:
you just have to shake/spray it right. sometimes if you dont, you spray more than jsut the canned air, you'll get some of the chemicals that freezes**t.

stuff works good to kill scorpions. freezes them solid.

don't inhale it it gives you a mad headache after 30 seconds of 'fun'



lmfao

TamTheBam Jan 17, 2011, 05:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"

I used the canned air once, and never again. It'ss**t. The wife's hair dryer does a better
job. Not only that, it leaves a white residue. It's useless. A complete was of time and
money. It's a rip off. I sometimes take the tower to work, and apply a filter exhaust to the
airgun at work, and turn down the nozzle pressure and use that.

Since I got the Corsair Obsidian, I've just used the wife's hair-dryer on cool, and it blows
every bit of dust away. I do this once a week now since it's easier in this case.

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
john albrich Jan 17, 2011, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
kOrny said:
you just have to shake/spray it right. sometimes if you dont, you spray more than jsut the canned air, you'll get some of the chemicals that freezes**t.
stuff works good to kill scorpions. freezes them solid....


I've used that "feature" to troubleshoot components. Most recently I found a defective Northbridge chip by cooling selective parts on the motherboard and watching for changing symptoms.

Re: the "freeze scorpions" feature. Go get 'im PETA!!! (j/k)
I never thought of that. Has potential. I've been stung several times after they've dropped off the ceiling into the bed, and they are VERY resistant to pesticides. Although I've read that diatomaceous earth may also help control scorpion and other creepy crawler populations.

And, I apologize for somehow getting this off-topic.

Let's resume, shall we?

Suspended User Jan 17, 2011, 06:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
TamTheBam said:

I used the canned air once, and never again. It'ss**t. The wife's hair dryer does a better
job. Not only that, it leaves a white residue. It's useless. A complete was of time and
money. It's a rip off. I sometimes take the tower to work, and apply a filter exhaust to the
airgun at work, and turn down the nozzle pressure and use that.

Since I got the Corsair Obsidian, I've just used the wife's hair-dryer on cool, and it blows
every bit of dust away. I do this once a week now since it's easier in this case.


White residue comes from holding it at a wrong angle.

TBH, it is really only good if the PC/laptop is in pieces, other wise you can't reach every corner without tilting the can.

Never thought of the hair dryer, gonna start using that. I used to use my vacuum on reverse.

john albrich Jan 17, 2011, 06:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
Kieran B said:
...I used to use my vacuum on reverse....
For real? Shudder/cringe.

kOrny Jan 17, 2011, 07:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jan 17, 2011, 07:48pm EST

 
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
john albrich said:
kOrny said:
you just have to shake/spray it right. sometimes if you dont, you spray more than jsut the canned air, you'll get some of the chemicals that freezes**t.
stuff works good to kill scorpions. freezes them solid....


I've used that "feature" to troubleshoot components. Most recently I found a defective Northbridge chip by cooling selective parts on the motherboard and watching for changing symptoms.

Re: the "freeze scorpions" feature. Go get 'im PETA!!! (j/k)
I never thought of that. Has potential. I've been stung several times after they've dropped off the ceiling into the bed, and they are VERY resistant to pesticides. Although I've read that diatomaceous earth may also help control scorpion and other creepy crawler populations.

And, I apologize for somehow getting this off-topic.

Let's resume, shall we?


Diatomaceous earth helps somewhat. we recently had our office building coated in thes**t (due to BAD infestation, they were falling from the ceilings too lol), yet we still find them every week. I learned from the pest control guys that 1 scorpion can have up to 3 litters of 20+ scorpions, so if there is one, there is more.

yeah its crazy how the can'o'air works. you can even buy 'scorpion killer' that its pretty much a huge can of compressed air. I used to 'freeze' the f**kers on sight, but now when I find 'em... (which is pretty much every day in AZ)

...i fight em ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTm_Tb2YvCg

Bungle Jan 18, 2011, 01:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
TamTheBam said:
As for Bungle, I'm sure you were on DDR3 already on your last Build, yes?


Nope DDR2

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Plug & Play Jan 18, 2011, 06:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jan 18, 2011, 07:00am EST

 
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
I cant believe people would OVER TIGHTEN a HSF in any scenario....same goes for the mobo been placed in the case. Some people would get a fourmula 1 stud gun on it if they could....TOTAL OVERKILL.

As was said, if you over tighten the HSF the mobo actually bends meaning that some of the CPU pins dont actually touch the socket, therefore the voltage burns the pins out. Evidence suggest that its only heavily overclocked chips suffer from this problem so the majority of CPUs will indeed be fine....I dont think it is going to be a problem across the board....(Pardon the pun)

Also, I have an attachment that slides onto a regular vaccum cleaner that is wider on one end and narrows to about half and inch that SUCKS the dust off components....TBH why BLOW dust around the PC so it lands elsewhere when you close the case again. Fair enough if you have it on an open bench, but I would not use a can of air either.


i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Suspended User Jan 18, 2011, 10:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
Plug & Play said:
I cant believe people would OVER TIGHTEN a HSF in any scenario....same goes for the mobo been placed in the case. Some people would get a fourmula 1 stud gun on it if they could....TOTAL OVERKILL.

As was said, if you over tighten the HSF the mobo actually bends meaning that some of the CPU pins dont actually touch the socket, therefore the voltage burns the pins out. Evidence suggest that its only heavily overclocked chips suffer from this problem so the majority of CPUs will indeed be fine....I dont think it is going to be a problem across the board....(Pardon the pun)

Also, I have an attachment that slides onto a regular vaccum cleaner that is wider on one end and narrows to about half and inch that SUCKS the dust off components....TBH why BLOW dust around the PC so it lands elsewhere when you close the case again. Fair enough if you have it on an open bench, but I would not use a can of air either.



Do it outside you loon!!!!

Plug & Play Jan 19, 2011, 07:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"

Are we still talking about computers here....or your sex life.....?????:blush:

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
G. G. Jan 19, 2011, 11:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jan 19, 2011, 11:35pm EST

 
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"
I'm having some Vienna Saugage and Keebler crackers..... anyone want some ?????


http://www.easyfoodandlaundry.com/catalog/images/vienna%20sausage.jpg






---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Plug & Play Jan 20, 2011, 09:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sandy Bridge " Latest Reviews"

Pass.....I think....:X

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

 

    
 
 

  Topic Tools 
 
RSS UpdatesRSS Updates
 

  Related Articles 
 
 

  Newsletter 
 
A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.