Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1082 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 11:56pm EST 
Hardware Analysis
      
Forums Product Prices
  Contents 
 
 

  Latest Topics 
 

More >>
 

    
 
 

  You Are Here: 
 
/ Forums / Videocards /
 

  I have a few questions about video card shopping 
 
 Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
GioG7 Apr 03, 2011, 02:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 03, 2011, 02:08am EDT

Replies: 18 - Views: 1720
Some of you have read the thread about my video card crapping out on me. I tried reviving it but I think all hope has been lost and I am now actively looking around for a new video card or a set of video cards. So my question is the following. Would it be better to go with SLI GTX 460's or somewhere around that range OR just go big and get something in the GTX 500 series. I have about $350 maybe $400 to spend.


Want to enjoy fewer advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael C Apr 03, 2011, 03:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
I'd have to say the GTX560Ti is the best price/performance ratio card you can get at the moment, along with ATI's 6950. See which one you can find on sale and get it!

<a class= Apr 03, 2011, 06:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
get a 560 Ti

_______________________________________________________
3930K @ 5.00Ghz | GA-X79-UD3P | 16Gb DDR3 | GTX770 | W7 x64
Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 04:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 04, 2011, 04:31am EDT

 
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
GioG7 said:
Some of you have read the thread about my video card crapping out on me. I tried reviving it but I think all hope has been lost and I am now actively looking around for a new video card or a set of video cards. So my question is the following. Would it be better to go with SLI GTX 460's or somewhere around that range OR just go big and get something in the GTX 500 series. I have about $350 maybe $400 to spend.



Get the fastest single card you can afford.

Why people are saying 560ti I don't know.

Get a GTX570 or HD6970 - both are around the $350-360 mark (on Newegg anyway).

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
john albrich Apr 04, 2011, 05:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 04, 2011, 05:01am EDT

 
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Michael C said:
I'd have to say the GTX560Ti is the best price/performance ratio card you can get at the moment, along with ATI's 6950. See which one you can find on sale and get it!

Doesn't that contradict what you said in your post at:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/77569/#590979

and is backed-up by Passmark benchmark info referenced in my post at:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/77569/#590992

Did I miss some new information somewhere?

Michael C Apr 04, 2011, 05:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 04, 2011, 05:06am EDT

 
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
I don't think so. In this case, he's looking for a higher-end card than a 460. Although the 460 is a great card I believe the 560ti/6950 are the better choices for someone looking for a high-end card. It was the 550Ti in the other thread also, not the 560Ti - a massive difference.

Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 05:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
john albrich said:
Michael C said:
I'd have to say the GTX560Ti is the best price/performance ratio card you can get at the moment, along with ATI's 6950. See which one you can find on sale and get it!

Doesn't that contradict what you said in your post at:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/77569/#590979

and is backed-up by Passmark benchmark info referenced in my post at:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/77569/#590992

Did I miss some new information somewhere?


550ti and 560ti are completely different beasts John ;)

But anyway, for $350-400 its gotta be GTX570 or HD6970

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Michael C Apr 04, 2011, 05:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Well if it were me who had 350 to spend(and I did when I bought my 6950), I do not see the benefit in spending the extra money for the 6970. I know this card is going to unlock to 6970 speeds no problem anyway. So if you have $350-400 and don't want to make 'smartest' choice, you can get the 6970/570. I still think the 560Ti/6950 are the best deals though for what you pay.

Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 05:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Michael C said:
Well if it were me who had 350 to spend(and I did when I bought my 6950), I do not see the benefit in spending the extra money for the 6970. I know this card is going to unlock to 6970 speeds no problem anyway. So if you have $350-400 and don't want to make 'smartest' choice, you can get the 6970/570. I still think the 560Ti/6950 are the best deals though for what you pay.


Yeah, the 560ti is a good price/performance card.

But it doesn't have the performance of the 570 or 6970.

As unlocking is only guaranteed to work on reference 6950's, you can get a non-reference HD6970 with a better cooler and overclock that - plus, some people couldn't be bothered with flashing etc

ALWAYS get the fastest card you can afford at the time, otherwise you're only skimping and getting less performance.

If he said he had $250-300 to spend, well then the 560ti would be a no brainer. But he's stated $350-400, so the GTX570 or HD6970 is a no brainer. To recommend a slower card would be silly, especially as he's coming from a HD4870x2, so these would at least give a considerable, and measurable performance increase in the games he plays.


Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
john albrich Apr 04, 2011, 07:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Dublin_Gunner said:
550ti and 560ti are completely different beasts John


I saw 550ti, not 560ti when I read it...and I read it three times.

I thought I was reading it ok...but apparently not (yes...my vision can vary quite a bit even from hour to hour. Some of it is due to the damn pain meds. One reason I prefer the 'comic sans MS' font. The characters and numbers tend to be more distinctive).



Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 08:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
john albrich said:
Dublin_Gunner said:
550ti and 560ti are completely different beasts John


I saw 550ti, not 560ti when I read it...and I read it three times.

I thought I was reading it ok...but apparently not (yes...my vision can vary quite a bit even from hour to hour. Some of it is due to the damn pain meds. One reason I prefer the 'comic sans MS' font. The characters and numbers tend to be more distinctive).




I wouldn't be overly concerned, simple mistake to make :)

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Michael C Apr 04, 2011, 08:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
http://www.hwcompare.com/8999/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-570/

Worth the extra $70? All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 09:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 04, 2011, 09:30am EDT

 
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Michael C said:
http://www.hwcompare.com/8999/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-570/

Worth the extra $70? All in the eye of the beholder I guess.


In case you didn't notice, I also included the HD6970 as the option, And I'd easily chose the 6970 or 570 over the 560ti, especially if gaming at 19x10 or higher with decent amounts of AA and 16xAF.

And what I don't get in some reviews, they test these high end cards, and either don't use AF at all in some tests, and use a max of 4xAA.

Who really has a decent high end card and only uses 4xAA???

I have a GTX 460 1GB and use 8xCSAA + TrSSAA in every game. IQ is where its at, and that's what these reviewers should be testing.



Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Michael C Apr 04, 2011, 09:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
I actually rarely use AA/AF unless I'm getting good enough FPS to run the game well(usually 40fps +).

Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 10:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Michael C said:
I actually rarely use AA/AF unless I'm getting good enough FPS to run the game well(usually 40fps +).



My point exactly ;)

With the better cards, you're free to do that.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Michael C Apr 04, 2011, 10:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 04, 2011, 10:45am EDT

 
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
There hasn't been a game other than Crysis 2 that doesn't run at 60+fps. There is no option for AA/AF but I'm sure when it's on the highest setting, they're on.I like to have 60+ at all times but I'm picky like that. This card can definetly run games maxed out with AA/AF no problem, it's the rest of my system that's lacking if anything. I don't think if I had a 6970 my results would be any different in regards to AA/AF. I'd take high FPS with a little bit worse gfx any day.

Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 11:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Michael C said:
There hasn't been a game other than Crysis 2 that doesn't run at 60+fps. There is no option for AA/AF but I'm sure when it's on the highest setting, they're on.I like to have 60+ at all times but I'm picky like that. This card can definetly run games maxed out with AA/AF no problem, it's the rest of my system that's lacking if anything. I don't think if I had a 6970 my results would be any different in regards to AA/AF. I'd take high FPS with a little bit worse gfx any day.



Eh, force them on ya big n00b lol? :P

RadeonPro, nvidia inspector even CCC and NCP will allow you to force IQ settings in software. Bloody hell, I haven't relied on in-game options in years!

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Michael C Apr 04, 2011, 11:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 04, 2011, 11:38am EDT

 
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Yeah I could easily do that but I don't like messing around with ATI driver settings personally. I always find something gets f**ked up haha. C2 looks great imo, the overall feel and look to the game is almost next-gen.

Dublin_Gunner Apr 04, 2011, 11:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: I have a few questions about video card shopping
Michael C said:
Yeah I could easily do that but I don't like messing around with ATI driver settings personally. I always find something gets f**ked up haha. C2 looks great imo, the overall feel and look to the game is almost next-gen.



I always used RadeonPro with my 4870, worked flawlessly. Can set up your own game profiles, with shortcuts if required, give it a go :)

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II

Write a Reply >>


 

    
 
 

  Topic Tools 
 
RSS UpdatesRSS Updates
 

  Related Articles 
 
 

  Newsletter 
 
A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.