Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1498 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 03:53pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

Q6600 to 2500K? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Michael C Jun 01, 2011, 11:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jun 01, 2011, 11:54am EDT

>> Re: Q6600 to 2500K?
Thanks for the notes guys.

How does this board look for the price? Seems to have a lot of features for being so cheap?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495

Or is this better for the price?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502

Says they support SLI so I'm guessing they also support Crossfire? I'd like to have a board that can do both since you never know what direction I might take with videocards...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
john albrich Jun 01, 2011, 01:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 01, 2011, 01:45pm EDT

Michael,

At 1PM-3PM PDT today, check this out.

It's going to be a "Shell-shocker" deal, which could mean a substantial discount.
Plus, it has a $10 rebate (but then adds $8 shipping...kinda sucks).

I don't know anything about Biostar quality, but the functionality of this board looks good, pretty similar to what you ID'd above. I'm also assuming Newegg doesn't have a problem with orders from Canada.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138296
BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Average Rating 4 out of 5 eggs4/5(53 reviews)
B3 Stepping, Blu-ray Audio, USB 3.0, SATA III, HDMI
(NORMAL price $105, before discounts, promos, rebates, or shipping)

edit:
added info about $10 rebate and $8 shipping charge

Michael C Jun 01, 2011, 01:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 01, 2011, 02:18pm EDT

Thanks John. I don't think Newegg.com accepts Canadian orders unfortunately. I believe that is why there is Newegg.ca. Anyhow...

These are my current deals lined up:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 -

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD4863&vpn=...e=GIGABYTE

i5 2500K & Noctua Nh C12P-SE14 fan -

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=60909&vpn=2500K%20%...omoid=1322

What about for RAM? What speed should it be if I expect to get 4.5ghz or higher? I need to know what RAM to get soon because there is only 1 deal left on the cpu!

How about this?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

john albrich Jun 01, 2011, 06:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 01, 2011, 06:40pm EDT

Michael C said:
...What about for RAM? What speed should it be if I expect to get 4.5ghz or higher? I need to know what RAM to get soon because there is only 1 deal left on the cpu!....

It's not cut and dried...

Actually USING the memory's upper limit speed can also be impacted by the processor used, the motherboard used, and may even impose limits on how the memory is installed. For example, a 4-memory-slot motherboard might limit you to only 2-slots when you "overclock"...and "overclocking" is sometimes required to "force" the motherboard to run the memory at the maximum specified memory speed. e.g. the motherboard spec might say it supports "DDR3 1066/1333/1600* (OC)", and then ONLY when you read the manual, you find out that if you want to run the memory at the 1600 speed, you can only use 2 of the 4 sockets...which of course can have a MAJOR impact on which size and quantity memory modules you buy.

Lesson...read the manual BEFORE you buy the motherboard. Most sites have a way to download the manual. Also, make sure you get the right manual for the VERSION of motherboard (e.g. ver1.0 v. ver2.1). Too many of us tend to assume we'll get shipped the latest version of whatever...right? Unfortunately, one cannot ensure which version mobo one will receive from the e-tailer, but you CAN make sure you are aware of any differences between the versions in their manuals before you buy. If something will affect your plan (or simply is not clear if it will affect you) if you happen to get a lower version motherboard than you would normally expect, then DO NOT BUY that motherboard. Either that, or make sure they have a superior product "return-for-refund" or "exchange for something else" system.

Personally, I think marketers misuse "overclocking" in describing their motherboards in this area. IMO the term "overclocking" should be used to describe ONLY situations in which you are operating components ABOVE their specified maximum limit. If you're simply saying you have to manually use the speed/clock adjustment settings in the BIOS Settings in order to use a component at its SPECIFIED maximum limit, then that is NOT overclocking.

edit to add:
My past experience at Gigabyte website (english version) was that because of small type for the version info, it was not obvious that different downloadable versions of the manual were available. And...I had to backtrack 2 or 3 levels of motherboard, then select a version, then proceed to a different download section, and THEN to a different download page. It would have been easier had they just offered all versions of the manual in a selectable list on the same motherboard download page and you just click on the one for the version mobo you have/want.
-manual (for ver2.1 motherboard)
-manual (for ver2.0 motherboard)
-manual (for ver1.9 motherboard)
etc

Michael C Jun 02, 2011, 01:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

G. G. Jun 02, 2011, 10:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael,

Nice picks....

This morning, Newegg on our side of the fence has a combo kit on the very same component you had choosen for 550.00 usd but it also included Seagate 1T 7200 64mb cache, 650W psu, Case, DVD writer, and a game. Pretty good deal even though you may not need the extra parts but it could be used for a secondary system.

You'll have to let us know how the new setup compares to your Q6600 system as in you butt gauge as to the % difference between the two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Michael C Jun 02, 2011, 04:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I will. Hopefully the difference is noticable. I'm just wondering about how far I'm going to be able to overclock this baby and if I'll need a new cpu fan or not. Any idea how far I can go with the stock fan?

G. G. Jun 02, 2011, 05:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
All the reviews out there that I have read... the 26K, they were hitting around 4.3~4.4 with stock fans.... not sure what a 25K would do but I am thinking it will be very close. These SB processors OC with ease. At least thats what they say...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
mothow Jun 04, 2011, 01:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
with stock fan i have my 2600K running 4.4ghz.Ill be installing the Venmous today or tomorrow.I had some problems with my board and thought i was gonna have to rma(why i never installed the Venomous) it but it was a driver issue.I some how installed a driver twice which which was causing my problems..lol

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
<a class= Jun 04, 2011, 02:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 04, 2011, 03:00pm EDT

its only worth it if you get more cores.....

In my case even the 6 cores arent worth it, so gotta wait till 8 is the standard...

But then again, not like i7 can't handle anything...its still high end

G. G. Jun 04, 2011, 03:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mothow said:
with stock fan i have ................ .................................it but it was a driver issue.I some how installed a driver twice which which was causing my problems..lol

heheheheheh.... you are a twice kind fella....

-
Michael C Jun 09, 2011, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the new system up and running. The 2500K is pretty powerful, much more so that my Q6600 even at 3.4 or 3.6ghz. Benchmark results as well as real-world performance have improved.

3DMark06(q6600) - 18,500
3DMark06(2500k) - 23,500

All games run better by quite a bit. And to think this is with the 2500k only at stock...Actually it overclocks itself to 3.4 and sometimes 3.6ghz it would seem. But I couldn't imagine it at 4.8 - 5.0ghz.

This upgrade is only truely worth it if you are a hardcore gamer, need more fps, and have the money to spare. Otherwise, the Q6600 is good for most people still.

G. G. Jun 09, 2011, 10:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michael C said:

3DMark06(q6600) - 18,500
3DMark06(2500k) - 23,500

So..... with these numbers.... the Q6600 is at OC'd 3.4GHz and the 2500K is at stock 3.3Ghz ????

-
Michael C Jun 09, 2011, 11:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yep that's correct G.G. Pretty large difference if you ask me. I'm scared to think how this CPU would be at 4.5+ghz.

G. G. Jun 10, 2011, 10:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Pretty amazing what these SB can do... you are right that it is a huge difference. Absolutely great stuff.

You say it would be scary what it can do if you can get it to 4.5+Ghz....... well... look at it another way... It would be scary if you had your Q6600 back to stock settings at 2.4ghz... That huge difference would be even LARGER.... Just imagine the majority of the folks out there that are currently running a Q6600 at stock speeds and they are NOT an OC'r like yourself.......... the performance increase they would get by upgrading to a 2500k SB, even at its stock speeds.... that would be a huge difference for them..

-
Michael C Jun 10, 2011, 11:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah it would be a huge change for them. After I get this thing to 5ghz it will be a huge change for me though too :D

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.