Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1395 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 11:49am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Projects /

Mini ITX - AMD Llano LAN box - (final project pictures posted) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
Seth Hoffman Mar 26, 2012, 07:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Mar 26, 2012, 07:06pm EDT

>> Re: Mini ITX - AMD Llano LAN box
This VLP Samsung RAM is amazing!

I'm able to run at 7-7-7-20 1333 1.5v. The reference timings for 1333 are 9-9-9-24. This proved to be ~10% slower than 1600 at 9-9-9-24 1.5v.

Also, I was able to run 8-8-8-24 1600 1.5v and it was within 2 points of 9-9-9-24. This is only in one benchmark, but these results prove what I've read online.

Reference timings for these modules are 11-11-11-28 1600 1.35v. Being able to tighten the timings down two steps using 1.5v is incredible.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Seth Hoffman Mar 26, 2012, 09:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This build has been a lot of fun. It has taken me back to when I was a kid and didn't have any money; forcing me to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my hardware.

Anymore, I am fortunate enough to be able to put money into my hobbies and it kind of takes the fun out of it.

I'm installing Skyrim now on the this rig. I'll post back the results. A crap XB360 can run it, so this thing should be able to...

Seth Hoffman Mar 26, 2012, 11:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 26, 2012, 11:47pm EDT

I tested Skyrim tonight on the ITX rig:

720p, medium preset, no AA/AF, high resolution texture pack = ~48FPS

(That setting was the best quality:performance ratio.)

720p, high preset, no AA/AF, high resolution texture pack = ~32FPS

(This setting is closest to the console version, but looks better)

720p, low preset, no AA/AF, high resolution texture pack = ~55FPS

( At this setting the game starts to look a little ugly.)

The average resource usage for this test was ~400MB loaded into video memory, 1GB of RAM, and 60% CPU load.

Skyrim at 1080p on all settings takes a hit, not worth the resolution for the quality settings needed to make it run well. On all graphic settings AA and AF really degraded performance; nearly 30% hit.

The game is completely playable and looks great at the above settings. It absolutely blows my mind that an integrated GPU can do this...we're living in the future.

After all these tests, I have to say the AMD Llano APU is absolutely fantastic for it's price point and target market.

I should note I've ran the tests here and in previous posts with 2GB allocated to the GPU and the CPU overclocked to 3.4Ghz.

Seth Hoffman Mar 30, 2012, 05:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I swapped out the intake fan for a deep red LED fan. It looks trick coming through the mesh 5.25" slot cover.

I'll try and get pics later.

Seth Hoffman Apr 01, 2012, 05:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 01, 2012, 05:52pm EDT

Updated Album with final project pictures:

I apologize my camera does not like low light but you get the idea.

http://photobucket.com/mini_itx

I did my old trick of using some automotive wiring harness conduit to clean up the wiring and improve airflow, it works pretty well.

Seth Hoffman Apr 02, 2012, 08:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 02, 2012, 09:52pm EDT

>> Re: Mini ITX - AMD Llano LAN box - (final project pictures posted)
I wanted to note that after extended game sessions the CPU was still creeping up into the 60C+ realm while over-clocked; "extended" meaning over 2 hours.

My solution was to slightly under volt the CPU from 1.41v to 1.3v. This greatly reduced heat production and I have been running Prime95 now for ~1 hour at 52C

Dr. Peaceful Apr 03, 2012, 10:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Nice match of fan LED color, to keyboard and mouse. Well done! :_)

Seth Hoffman Apr 04, 2012, 12:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 04, 2012, 12:01am EDT

I'm now debating on dropping in a Radeon 6570 since you can Crossfire it with the integrated GPU. I can pick up the card for ~$45 and more than double my graphics performance. I feel like this is cheating a bit though.

My Seasonic 350W supply should hold the card, but I'm adding more heat to the box and removing the slot cooler.

I'm still engineering exhaust solutions and I think I have one, if I go with a discrete card.

I'll report back on my decision. I still have a plan B if this all comes crashing down. My wife has a uATX FM1 rig that I could swap into, giving me much needed cooling and a MSI motherboard with more OC features.

Seth Hoffman Apr 04, 2012, 01:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did however get this Samsung Green memory overclocked. I got them to 1866 stable with 1.45v and 10-10-10-28 timings. Stress tested and they came out clean...amazing.

This is a gain of ~5% in Diablo 3. I have read and seen first hand that 1600 at 9-9-9-24 are faster in certain benchmarks.

Seth Hoffman Apr 04, 2012, 08:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found the sweet spot for running Skyrim. Using 1866 memory settings and the CPU overclocked to 3.2Ghz @ 1.35v.

1440x900 (native res of the monitor I'm using for this build)
High graphic preset
No AA/AF
High resolution texture pack (official)
Vsync on

These settings lock the frame rate at 30FPS and even during large battles the frame rate does not go below 30. Without vsync the game runs between 35 and 45 FPS giving a nice buffer to lock it in at 30FPS with vsync. This makes the game look great and is completely playable. After an hour of testing in game my temps were in the mid 40C range, acceptable.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.