Hello I have an ASUS U56E laptop.
After extended child use (which included a juice spill across laptop), the laptop is completely dead, i.e., when power button is pressed, nothing happens and when power cord is plugged in no lights illuminate. Before you tell me to junk it it's a fried motherboard, I just want to tell you what else I've noticed to see if you might notice something - thanks.
By taking out the battery, holding the power button down for a minute then plugging in power cord and replacing the battery, the "charging" light illuminates and stays illuminated.
When I first noticed the charging light come on, it was "orange" indicating that the battery was charging. After 5 minutes in this state I decided to I'd see what would happen if I pressed the power button. When I did, a slight electronic click sound occured and then completely dark again - no power up, no additional lights came on and the charging light is now off again.
I repeated my "holding down the power button" procedure, and was again able to get the charging light to illuminate. I then left it to charge for several hours and noticed the orange light had now changed to a green light indicating that the charge was complete. I again tried to press the power button and the same thing happened - completely dead again.
Are these sufficient clues to determine the severity of the hardware failure?