Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 393 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 02:46pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

ASUS "System failed due to CPU overclocking" voice msg. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
bad m0j0 Feb 16, 2004, 06:54pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ASUS "System failed due to CPU overclocking" voice msg.
Payton,

thanks again for your pointers. i've tried all that you've suggested to no avial with comments below. I should have that replacement mb tomorrow. Hopefully its either that or the the processor

go to AGP frequency in the Advanced Chipset Features, in the Bios. Take your AGP frequency setting off of auto and reset it manually to 66.

****done

On auto, overclocking can raise the frequency and make it unstable. Make sure PCI/VGA Pallet snoop is disabled. Disable the com 1 and 2 ports and the parallel and MIDI ports if you are not using them, as well. Frees up IRQ spots for less sharing.

****done

Also disable the FSB spread spectrum when overclocking.If that doesn't work post back and I'll give you the proper caliber armor piercing slug for maximum case penetration when you are ready to put it out of it's misery.

****Done, but not overclocking

What are your memory clocks set to?Try backing off them a little, say to 2.5-3-3-7

****done

You might want to try and uninstall the video driver and install a different copy. Go here and check this out. You may want to experimewnt with different drivers for your vid card

****done also. no change

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
angryhippy Feb 17, 2004, 02:41am EST Report Abuse
Oh well we tried. good luck with the new mobo

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Hugo Z Feb 18, 2004, 10:03am EST Report Abuse
My problem was a defective memory stick that was forcing me to reboot my computer many times, after messages saying that un application had to be terminated because invalid operations. I noticed that whenever I stopped the boot process in the earlier stages of booting (to turn the computer off), the next time I turned my computer on it displayed this "System failed due to CPU overclocking" message.

The message still shows if I stop the booting process as mentioned and then it fixed by it self after that, but it does not bothers me at all now that I know my computer is stable and also because I rarely have to stop the booting process now. I have a P4P800 Deluxe motherboard.

I discovered the defective memory stick by running the torture test of the Prime95 utility that focuses on memory (third test), and confirm it but getting a couple of new memory stick from a store that was willing to received back if that was not my problem.

Hugo

bad m0j0 Feb 18, 2004, 01:42pm EST Report Abuse
thanks hugo.

i've run both memtest86 and M$'s memory tester extensively with no errors. I'll try this prime program too

bad m0j0 Feb 22, 2004, 10:16pm EST Report Abuse
FINALLY FIXED.

Asus sent me a new mb and everything is fine. sometimes, i guess you can clean, test and reinstall everything you have but mabye something is just plain ole broke.

thanks all for the advice

martin abbott Jan 09, 2006, 11:37am EST Report Abuse
i had the same problem when i was booting my computer, it kept locking up when booting, press reset button and every thing is fine. the answer to my problem lay with PC Probe, if you uncheck the, auto execute asus probe in each boot up session, you should find your pc will boot correctly. if this works for you please would you leave some feedback on here. good luck

john albrich Jan 13, 2006, 10:02pm EST Report Abuse
"Faster" RAM will just run at whatever same or slower speed your computer runs at.

The following info won't make a difference to some, as it mostly applies to people who buy their system from a vendor, and the system came bundled with the OS and software.

You should remember that when you flash your mobo to OEM BIOS, some applications provided with the system and/or bundled software you may have purchased, may not work anymore. Some vendors may even cripple the OS...but I've not heard of that happening lately.

Windows Media Center Edition is one example of the former. People have reported they flash their "Gateway" mobo BIOS and replace it with the very latest (and possibly superior) OEM mobo BIOS, and MCE quits working. You can still run WinXP, but not the "greenbutton" environment.* And, it is NOT a Windows registration issue. The vendor tied the application functionality directly to mobo BIOS content.

"Gateway" and MCE are just used as one example set. Other vendors' mobos/software have exhibited the same restriction. It may not be a problem for all mobos for a specific vendor, or even mobos at different version levels. It's a function of inter-vendor licensing and bundling contracts.

* WinXP is the OS. MCE2005 is an application layer. When you see a system being sold with MCE2005, that means it is running with some version of WinXP (WARNING: it could be either Home or Pro...check CLOSELY before buying), and that MCE2005 is installed on top of it.

martin abbott Jan 14, 2006, 05:54am EST Report Abuse
To every one reading this link, i mensioned before that it was pc probe causing the problem, i am sorry to say that i was wrong. I did ask down my local computer shop what the problem might be, and was told that the problem was more than likely to be the hard drive, some thing about it being cold. Make of it what you will, i am not going to change hard drives.

john albrich Jan 14, 2006, 10:16am EST Report Abuse
Ref post by martin abbott Jan 14, 2006, 05:54 AM
"something about the disk being cold"

The only thing I can think of that relates to a comment like this is they are suggesting that thermal variations in the hard disk would be causing misregistration of the r/w head on the disk platter(s), or the drive has failing electronic components where the failure is temp dependent.

Seems like an unusual thing for them to say based on the info available, and you should be able to assess one way or the other fairly quickly without replacing the drive.

Thermal variation isn't as big a problem it used to be on old stepper controlled r/w heads. Modern drives mostly use voice-coil controlled r/w positioners and they depend on an "embedded" (unalterable) reference "track" on one side of one of the platters in the disk. As the temp changes, the reference allows the drive to compensate a suprising amount.

It takes a pretty major thermal change to cause a hard problem in a modern disk drive...at the interface electronics, the r/w amps, the voice coil positioner, etc. unless the drive is actually "bad". You still want to keep the drive as cool as reasonable to extend operational life.

IF the drive supports SMART, you can use a freeware SMART accessing program (like HDD Health or similar at majorgeeks.com) to temporarily evaluate the disk drive. You'll be able to look at temps, soft error rates, re-reads, etc. In short, operations that suggest the drive isn't behaving consistently. There are several freeware disk health monitors that provide instantaneous and over-time monitoring, even providing estimated time to failure based on the data accumulated.

It's one of the easier quick, easy, and "non-invasive" checks you can do, and also has the positive impact of providing you operational info on your drive whether there's a problem or not.

Tony Brooks Jan 23, 2006, 10:44am EST Report Abuse
I had the same problem. I turned off "Hault on all errors". I still got the error, but at least Windows would boot. There were still problems with the occaisional re-boot, especially on any system intenstive programs.
I even tried swapping CPUs to see if that was the issue, but to no avail.

I then swapped my graphics card to a more power hungry one (ATI 9700 Pro), which requires a secondary 12v power supply for the fan.
I had it running for a few hours before the whole thing just cut out. Now I can't even turn it on.

This system had worked previously for 2 years with no problems. My guess is it's something to do with the power supply finally packing in. I can't think of anyway to test it as I don't have a spare m/b to try. I've just bought a new PSU as they're not exactly expensive. The one I had in there came with the case, so it's most likely a cheapy one.
I'll let you know how it goes.

john albrich Jan 23, 2006, 11:26am EST Report Abuse
Ref: post by Tony on swapping out power supply

Tony,
You might want to look at my posts at
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/46889/?o=320

on or about

john albrich Jan 15, 2006, 10:52 AM

There's some power supply info that might be useful to you. I think going through my simplistic analysis is worth it to get an idea of what can happen. They also have links pointing to other places to find even more info on power supplies, power supply planning/calculations, etc.

It's surprising, but some 500W power supplies can provide LESS power (where needed) than some 300W power supplies, depending on your configuration. You also want to know EXACTLY how your power supply responds to overload conditions. Some shutdown properly, others lose voltage regulation and ripple control which of course can cause all sorts of problems, up to and including system component damage..

John

Michael H Jan 26, 2006, 04:27pm EST Report Abuse

mohd r Jan 30, 2006, 12:03am EST Report Abuse
I have the same problem with asus p4p800 deluxe. Everytime i start the machine it display "system overlocking failed". After that i have to restart the machine but the power is on but nothing on monitor. i have to start computer couple time to get the display on the monitor. very wired. i changed the CMOS settings with removing the battery and also update the bios but still no luck. I have P4 3 ghz and 512 ram.

Its driving me crazy, is there anyone who can help me or give me some suggestion please please

Tony Brooks Feb 02, 2006, 05:20am EST Report Abuse
***********UPDATE***********

OK. I swapped over with a swanky new 500W PSU and the PC powered on an booted into XP. For some reason, it reinstalled some of the drivers for periferals I had alread installed (webcam, usb mouse etc..). But it worked. I then realised I had my old Duron processor in there when I was messing around to try and get it working. So I shut down and swapped over the processor with my AMD XP one and reapplied some thermal paste.

When I turned it on, it hung on the green ASUS splash screen. I've tried swapping processors back, but it still hangs.

Holding down TAB I can see that the Processor is recognised, but it seemed to fail the memory test only reachin 1024K, but still strangely saying OK.

I reset the CMOS and tried again. This time the memory test reaches 53248K and freezes. I have tried a new memory stick which I know works in my friends PC. The same thing happens

I can get into BIOS and everything seems OK. CPU is slightly hot though (42oC). Any Ideas?

I'm thinking the motherboard might have been damaged when the PSU blew up, but that wouldn't explain why it booted 1st with the new PSU.

Skogstrand Aug 13, 2006, 11:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi

I receive the same "System failed due to CPU overclocking" message. I was using my PC and everything was great, then boom! Just like a power shortage. But i noticed my PSU was still running. So i shut down the PC, and started it again. All the fans started but thats about it, didnt get any sort of boot. The monitor even stands at the "orange led" like i neer started the PC at all. Then its like that for a few seconds and the nice lady speaks......

I have tested the monitor just to cancel that out and i also swapped in another GPU. Nothing changed.
I have removed the CMOS battery and replaced it, i have also tried to cut the power and imediatly start after two seconds again, as someone suggested here. Still nothing.

I have the same ASSus:P deluxe moterboard as most here.

Im not very good at hardware so if someone could guide me to, if nothing else atleast canceling out diffrent things i would be very thankfull:P Right now i cant do sh.., my screen is blank and my pc doesnt even boot:(

martin abbott Aug 14, 2006, 12:49pm EDT Report Abuse
I had the same proplem with my pc crashing and saying overclocking. It turned out to be a cheap psu i had fitted was over volting. I have replaced the psu and every thing is fine now.

john albrich Aug 16, 2006, 06:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Re: "PSU overvolting"

Keep in mind that a simple go/no-go PSU test tool, or a digital multimeter, will not usually tell you if the PSU has a high ripple content, and the ripple content could cause the "DC" voltage to exceed the limits of the computer. Those tools only look at the average levels, and/or their response times are too slow to catch the faster transients.

So, using those tools will tell you that the PSU is OK, when in reality it is very unstable. About the only way you can verify your PSU DC output is stable, is to use a peak-reading meter or a scope. (there are simple "threshold exceeded (upper and lower)" circuits you can build, but that's not something most people can do)

edited to include this:
Some people will say that you can set the meter to read AC volts, and that will measure the ripple for you. Then you just add or subtract the ripple to see if you're exceeding the computer's voltage limits.

Unfortunately, such measurements only provide you with a gross reading. AC measurements often use algorithms based on formulas that will NOT show peak values...they will show a value determined by assuming a sine-wave ripple waveform, and it doesn't show the peak value. Also, in a switching power supply, the ripple content is unlikely to be sinusoidal so the measurement will be even further off. It can even contain asymmetric spikes. The best way to see these is with a fast oscilloscope.

johnny tulane Sep 03, 2006, 08:35pm EDT Report Abuse

so, this one's been driving me batshit crazy...

p4c800 Deluxe
330w Power Supply
1GB Dual Channel Ram (3200)
P4 HT 3ghz
geforce 6600

everything was happy and good for a while, and then something happened.

i don't really remember the cause of it, but it was something specific.

i do know the effect: 'system failed due to CPU overclocking'

i have to 'load defaults' to boot now.

wouldn't be a huge problem, but the crazy thing is, CPU-Z is reporting my speed now at 1500mhz, but it says the processor is a 3000mhz. what the heck is going on here? am i UNDERCLOCKING?

it'd be great if someone could help me out here.

tegSIRAT

mike jones Aug 15, 2008, 11:56pm EDT Report Abuse
I had these same problems as well for ages. After trying loads of different things with the CPU, Memory, and Power settings in the BIOS I did 3 simple things and now my system is working great. My games work much better than before.

Before carrying out these tasks I would recommend resetting your BIOS to the default settings or use the clear BIOS jumper method. First I retrieved the Athlon drivers disk which came shipped with my MB. In device manager I updated the proccessor driver with the 64 bit driver on the CD. This should be in the AMD folder on the disk. Choose the one that is appropriate for your system. You should only find one driver which is compaible for your system anyway. Then I installed the Cool and Quiet program which automatically adjusts the cpu speed, voltage, and amount of power depending on the tasks the cpu is performing. Finally go to your display properties, under the screensaver tab click power, and choose minimal power management.

My system is working brilliantly now. No more overlocking errors and the athlon proccessor seems to be working much better. I can really see the difference. My games look crystal clear and more realistic.

Try it. Good luck

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.