Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2240 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 04:39am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Rob French Nov 07, 2005, 12:55pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I am having the exact same problem as described by other users.

I am getting the error 51 errors only at bootup and there are between 1-25 of them at a time. The error is occurring on my Seagate 160Gig SATA drive (Model ST3160827AS).

I found this: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_ncq.html that confirms my drive supports NCQ.

I will try to disable the NCQ support on the drive but does anyone have any information on WHY this is happening on a drive that supports NCQ?

I am currently running with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo, A64 3500+ Winchester, a 75G WD Raptor (SATA) and a 160G Seagate (SATA).

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Andrea Guglielmi Nov 08, 2005, 06:08pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I don't know what's happened, I'm pretty sure that everything is the same in the BIOS...I just "played" with my SATA cables and, actually, changed both of them...4 days without any error ID 51.

Phil Seymour Nov 12, 2005, 07:18pm EST Report Abuse

Moto Guzzi Nov 13, 2005, 11:30am EST Report Abuse
>> My problem solved at last
My problem was resolved as follows:

MB=GA-8IEXP Rev 1.2

My DVD/CDROM & CDWR both AOPEN started messing with CD's, so I replaced both with one Gigabyte DVD writer on IDE-2. I also ad another maxtor disk to IDE-1 as slave.

No more errors, so the AOPEN stuff was not fully compatible with the hyperthreading concept, I would say.

######################################################################################
Note: I remember updating both these AOPEN devices firmware from their website, before I upgrade to P4 with HT.

Horst Gebauer Nov 16, 2005, 05:08am EST Report Abuse
Hi all, just my 2 cents from the colonies.

Had the problems with a new Samsung SATA2 SP2004C and a Gigabyte GA8I955X Pro mainboard when running the Samsung without the 150Gb/s jumper. As soon as the jumper was used, the warnings EventID 51 disk and errors EventId 9 iastor or atapi -depending on mode- disappeared. This has been the case in various different combinations of drivers which I have tested. E.g. all SATA Controller modes -IDE,AHCI,RAID- with various combinations of drivers for INF and ICH7R under the latest BIOS of the mainboard.

What fixed it for me was the replacement of my vga adapter from ASUS EN6600GT/TD128 to Gigabyte GV-NX66t128VP - believe it or not:)

Things, one could check in case of these errors with Intel-based boards:
- BIOS version and settings
- INF Chipset driver
- Intel Matrix Storage Manager (includes the driver iastor, needed for ICH7R's SATA controller)
- RAM, do test with Memtest86+
- and of course try using other devices for the built-in ones like DVD, CD or VGA-adapters

Hope this helps someone.....
brgds HG

egd Nov 16, 2005, 06:31am EST Report Abuse
or you could just switch to linux. worked for me...

denzil Nov 24, 2005, 11:04pm EST Report Abuse
Hi everyone :)

1st post in the forum with the same issue. Just built a new PC today and I get Event ID 51 randomly on bootup. Here is my hardware:

MB: Asus A8N5X (newest BIOS)
Chipset: Nforce4
RAM: Corsair Value Select 2x512 in dual channel mode
Gfx: Radeon x700Pro PCI-E 128meg
CPU: Athlon64 Socket 939 Venice core 2.2GHz
HDD: Seagate 160gb 7200.9 SATA II model ST3160812AS

I read in an earlier post that disabling NCQ in the Nforce IDE controller properties resolved the issue, but I removed the Nvidia IDE Driver completely. Would this have the same effect? This is very frustrating. Rig works great despite this :(

U A Nov 25, 2005, 11:58am EST Report Abuse
I just built an A8N-SLI Premium w/WD 74GB Raptor on SATA1 and DVD+-/RW on Secondary IDE (no other drives, not even a floppy) and I get this exact error once in a while. The thing I can't figure out is what drive it's referring to. It says "Harddisk0" which would mean the Raptor but then it says "D" which is my DVD+-/RW.

Disk management has them listed as:

Disk 0 C:
CD-ROM 0 D:

Any ideas which drive "\Device\Harddisk0\D" is referring to?

denzil Nov 25, 2005, 12:04pm EST Report Abuse
Does your drive support NCQ? Can you disable it in order to see if that corrects the issue?

U A Nov 25, 2005, 12:13pm EST Report Abuse
Wow, that was a fast reply! Yup, sure enough, Command Queuing was enabled, so I disabled it. The current Raptors don't have NCQ anyway, but supposedly they will by the end of the year (rumor).

We'll see if this fixes my problem. Still can't figure out why it says "D" hmmm...

denzil Nov 25, 2005, 12:16pm EST Report Abuse
My Seagate does support NCQ, but I'm not sure XP handles it well. I just completely un-installed the Nforce IDE driver. So far, no more errors, but the day is still young...

Ibrahim Saidi Dec 28, 2005, 02:46am EST Report Abuse
Just a note for some users... I noticed this error in my event viewer after i have diagnosed an error in my Hardrive.

This may be the cuase for some of the users on this thread but not certainly everyone.

Check that your partition tables match your disk geomtry... i had corrupted partition tables as detected by Partition Magic which then resulted in loosing files... or page file problems... some of my files were corrupted..and it get worse as time progresses.. as you try to write to specific sectors of the drive.. or as what is happening with error 51, you try to read/write to page file to wrong or non existing sectors on the drive due to bad geomtry config in the partition table.... if this s the drive you have the OS installed on.. then you can start to see seriuos problems if the right files get curropted. eventualy you will get more corruptions as you fill up the drive.... if the partiion/disk geomtry problem isn't fixed the problem gets worse!!

the only way to fix it.. is to perform a complete Kill Disk http://www.killdisk.com or other software to completely remove all partitions on the disk and re-partition the drive.. simply formating doesn't fix it.. as it will use the same bad geomtry info in the partition table..

this problem happened on my external drive.. i suspect i had partition table corruption from pulling drive out of USB without properlly disconnecting... etc...

note, chkdsk or other typical scan disk tools don't detect the partition/geomtry problem.. Partition Magic was one tool that detected the bad parittion table and labeled the drive as BAD... other Linux Partition tools did aswell...

this free tool can check partition/geomtry info of your disk
http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk_doc/testdisk.html

Hope this helps...

- IS

denzil Dec 28, 2005, 04:33am EST Report Abuse
I've checked everyday since my last post and have had no more errors since uninstalling the nvidia IDE drivers. I suspect that disabling NCQ in the Nvidia IDE options would've fixed it but I've heard about CD burning problems using Nvidia's so just removed them completely

R B Jan 16, 2006, 05:01pm EST Report Abuse
The basic problem is that the pagefile is not in the drive with the operating system and the largesystemcache is enable. Windows try to page the kernel to the hard drive with the operating system when shutting down and it can not do it because there is not pagefile. Two ways to correct this problem:

1; Disable largesystemcache (my computer, properties,advanced, performance,settings,advanced, memory usage (change from system cache to programs).

2) Keep largesystemcache enable and make a pagefile in the drive with the operating system with minimun size 200 and maximun 225.

This will probably solve your problem unless the disk is bad.

don n Jan 18, 2006, 09:37pm EST Report Abuse
Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D
Event ID - 9 - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

I've got a Windows XP system with 2 IDE drives. I started getting these messages out of the blue. At the same time, when booting, I started getting a "cannot access harddrive messages". I tried chkdsk and is said all was ok. Then I used Gateways extensive hard drive check utility and it said my drive was ok. On the advice of previous posters on this same thread, I did the following.

1. Settings
2. Control Panel
3. System Properties
4. Hardware
5. Device Manager
6. Expand 'disk drives'
7. select 'uninstall'
8. reboot

On shutdown, or boot, the correct driver gets installed. I did get a message on boot asking me to insert the Windows XP disk, but I blew that off. I continued the boot and everything's been fine ever since. I stopped getting the 'hard drive' messages and stopped getting events. Just wanted to let you all know to try the easiest things first.. this was easy. Trying this first saved me the cost, and time, of buying a new drive which would not have solved the problem.

Wayne Birt Jan 26, 2006, 01:52pm EST Report Abuse
Hi,

Just built a new machine.
I was getting (repeated 20 or so times):
Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

Symptoms at boot up were that it took 30 seconds longer to boot and I could see / hear the disk repeatedly seeking.

I also noticed that I was getting:
"Windows saved user ComputerName\UserName registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

I can confirm that as suggested, disabling message queueing for the offending drive in the device manager for the nforce ide (serial ata) controller fixed both problems.

ASUS A8Nsli Premium.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+.
2Gb Geil value PC3200 matched RAM.
Samsung SP2504C (SATA II) 250G.
BFG 7800gtx oc.

Thanks.

Gerald Weinsack Jan 30, 2006, 11:11am EST Report Abuse
I also had this problem.
I read all the postings, based on that theme, in a couple of newsgroups.
There were some who wrote "Buy a seperate PCI SATA controller" and all probs will be "gone with the wind". Others pointed out, that another, older driver will bring it all to work. A few postings were about bad SATA cables - I checkd them - they were closely attached. I also had the suspicion, that my power supply ist too weak. Alltogether wrong - almost.
My solution was:
Once I touched a SATA cable - a few hours no error. Then I touched them again - they were still in correct plugging position - the problem was back. So I checked the cables accurate.
Lo and behold! One of the small pins on the connector was bend down.
I went to my computershop and they swapped my cables to better ones. Now all is working fine!

denzil Feb 08, 2006, 05:09pm EST Report Abuse
For those with Maxtor Drives:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29570

Ryan Sullivan Feb 10, 2006, 05:42am EST Report Abuse
Same problem. Intel D915PBL motherboard with 2GB of dual channel DDR2 Corsair memory and P4 3.4. It startd with i bought a WD 10k rpm SATA raptor drive. It happened also with a WD 80 GB SATA drive, then i eventually just bought a maxtor 300 gb 16mb cache drive for my main drive and all the problems went away.
I just recently bought another WD SATA raptor 74GB drive and the problem seems to get worse and worse. Updated bios, disabled raid, bought new cables, tried multiple raptor drives and seems to have the same error. Im running xp pro.
I'll try a PCI sata card but im doubtful.
This is such an irritating problem.

don n Feb 12, 2006, 12:44pm EST Report Abuse
See posting by Don N on Jan 18, 2006, 09:37 PM . Try that... it's easy, cheap and safe.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.