Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2401 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 04:38am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Patrick Drd Aug 31, 2006, 05:39am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Did not work for me either
(I get only 51 errors)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Aug 31, 2006, 06:23am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
%!&$!$*&%@#!#@!!

Michel Hoek Aug 31, 2006, 08:44am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

I am having Event 9 & 51 problems as well and can't seem to find a solution for it. Maybe my setup can help in resolving this problem.

I have installed three servers. I am experiencing the problems on two of the three servers. The servers are almost identical:

CPU: Pentium 4 3.4Ghz 650
RAM: 3 x Kingston 1Gb PC4300 DDR2
HD: 3 x Maxtor SATAII 160GB (Type 6V160E0) (2 HDs in RAID 1, 1 HD used for backups)
MB: ASUS P5LD2-V or ASUS P5LD2-VM (Intel 945G chipset + Intel RAID ICH7)

They all have a RAID setup with two HD's as RAID 1 mirror and one HD not in RAID used only for the backups. Os and applications are the same IIS 6.0 and SQL Server.

The difference between the two servers having problems and the one not having problems is the mainboard. The problems occur only with the ASUS P5LD2-V mainboard the one with no problems has a ASUS P5LD2-VM mainboard.

Every 10 +/- days a HD gets an event 9. This can be a HD in the RAID configuration or the HD used for backups. This results in an event 51 if the HD is not a RAID HD. All HD's in the two servers have had an event 9.
A reboot does not help. A poweroff is required to bring the drive back. If it is a RAID drive it will be rebuild.

When I configure the HD's to SATA I instead of SATA II the problems seem to occur less often.

I have tried different cables and most of the hints I have found online, but nothing seems to work.
I have not tried the SystemPages registry entry, because MS advises to leave it to 0 on W2K3.

I am thinking of replacing the HD's by another brand or replacing the mainboard.

Hope this helps...

Jaroslaw Kawecki Aug 31, 2006, 09:13am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Jon Iliz,
I had not any other warnings or error events, only the series of event 51.

"An event ID 51 entry is a GENERIC ERROR entry for any type of error that occurs when Windows is paging information to input/output (I/O). A paging operation occurs when Windows either swaps a page of memory from memory to disk, or when Windows retrieves a page of memory from disk to memory. This is part of the memory management features of Windows XP. Not every disk access is paging I/O. Programs can perform non-buffered I/O to access disk data. Also, Windows is not necessarily writing to the paging file (Pagefile.sys), which the name implies. THIS MAY BE ANY TYPE OF DATA ACCESS." /microsoft/.

You can TRY to get more information, WHAT IS AT THE BOTTOM of Event ID 51:
Article, "How to decode the data section of an Event ID 51 event message": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780/en-us

I think, the background of Event ID 51 is often "XP software" <->DEVICE DRIVER relation. As I know microsoft, it is caused by stupid "security patch"

For Your system it seems to be USB driver problem.
From Microsoft you can get patch: Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822603/
Try also http://search.dell.com/ for USB, XP problem. They have a lot of patches for USB/XP
Sorry I can't help you.

Roger Maynard Aug 31, 2006, 11:07am EDT Report Abuse
Michel

Definitely change the Maxtor drives. I had almost the same configuration as you and since change the drives not an error 51 in sight.

Roger

Michel Hoek Sep 01, 2006, 02:29am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Roger,

I have it on the top of my list. Thanks.

Steve Hart Sep 02, 2006, 12:35am EDT Report Abuse

Patrick Drd Sep 02, 2006, 05:53pm EDT Report Abuse
Fixed my problem (error 51) using the following guide:
https://iomega-ap-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_ap_en.cfg/php...1081266719

My disk (external usb) has some files with size more that 1GB (the max filesize being 4GB) and, obviously (as I found out using the above link),
windows tries to copy a large file to virtual memory first and then to the disk and was retrying that operation (since virtual memory wasn't large enough to accommodate that file) every time I connected my usb disk to the pc.

So I increased virtual memory to 4096mb (max), the operation completed successfully and no error 51 was writen to the event log since then!

Try that yourself!

Jaroslaw Kawecki Sep 03, 2006, 01:39pm EDT Report Abuse

steve burrows Sep 08, 2006, 01:56pm EDT Report Abuse
Take a seat ladies and gentlemen I believe I have sorted this problem. I have been having this event ID 51 problem for about a year now it happened during startup. This is my first post so let me just say that this advice at your own risk. I am only stating my problem and what fixed it for my PC. I have heard many such explanations as to why this is happened. Windows hotfixes/updates, wrong connections between the the motherboard and graphics cards and so on. I believe the problem is to do with IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers. I used to just uninstall my Nvidia Serial ATA Controller, reboot, windows would detect my drives and then I would have clean startup. But the problem kept coming back. I have found that using the primary controller works better than the ones with your graphics card. Go to start control panel, system, device manager, IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers. If you see a controller that is not Primary IDE, Secondary IDE or Standard Duel Channel PCI IDE controller this is where the problem could be. To solve right click on the bogus controller, be it Nvidia/ATI or whatever, click update, do not use windows update, dont search i will choose the driver to install. A box should appear stating Nvidia/ATI controller or Standard PCI controller. If this is not the case I suggest that you stop now becuase if the BIOS does not recognize the new controller you'll never hit windows. If you do have the option of standard controller select it and restart your machine. Your PC should then hit windows and detect your drives. restart again it should be smooth sailing. As I said before i had this Event 51 error for about 8 months, and since i changed to standard controller i've not a problem and its been a month now. Smooth startup and everything. What this does is use the standard controller that comes with your pc and not the one supplied with your graphics card. I now have the following in my IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controller list 3 primarys, 3 secondaries and 3 Standard Duel Channel PCI IDE controller. Hope this helps people.

Jaroslaw Kawecki Sep 08, 2006, 09:18pm EDT Report Abuse

Enis Sarac Sep 09, 2006, 02:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks to all who posted in this thread. As you might have guessed, I was having the same problem all of you are having. I read all the suggestions in this thread and tried all of them one by one. I found the suggestion that was presented with the post above mine especially interesting. One suggestion did solve my problem but I'll get to that in a minute.

Having done a lot of testing on this problem, I wanted to put in my 2 cents in this thread. The problem here (at least in my case) appears to be some sort of buffer problem. Here is the reason why I am saying this: After I started reading the posts in this thread, I started with disabling "tagged queuing" from drive properties. This initially appeared to help. What I have been doing for testing is moving a 100MB file back and forth between 2 drives. Before disabling the tagged queuing, moving a single 100 MB file would cause approximately 2-3 10 second hangs before the process would complete. After disabling "tagged queuing", I was actually able to move the file back and forth without any hangs. At this point I thought the problem was solved. I then attempted to move 2 100 MB files and the hang problem occured. After the hang occured, I then tried to move a single file back and forth again and unfortunately the hang occured again.

The fact that I was able to move a single 100 MB file back and forth between 2 drives several times (I did it at least 5 times to make sure that this wasn't a coincedence) with no hangs and then starting to have the hang problem when trying to move more than 1 file which then caused the single file transfer to hang afterwards as well leads me to believe that there is an I/O buffer limit specified somewhere (either in the Windows registry, the controller driver or perhaps controller BIOS) and once this buffer fills up, the drives start choking.

In my case, this problem was happening with my ABIT IC7-G motherboards' SATA RAID controller. The contoller is a Silicon Image 3112 chip and has 2 SATA ports. The problem did NOT happen with either of the 2 SATA ports controlled by the Intel ICHR5 chip. I have 3 Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 ST3320620AS SATA hard drives and a Plextor 755A SATA DVD burner which require 4 SATA ports so I had to use the ports controlled by the Silicon Image chip for 2 of the hard drives. I also had nothing but problems with anything that I tried attaching to the Silicon Image controller but everything other than this hanging problem, I was able to solve.

The solution? I ordered a PROMISE SATA300 TX4 controller from Newegg. I got all 4 devices hooked up to the PROMISE controller and everything works dandy. I can now completely disable both the Silicon Image SATA controller and the Intel ICHR5 SATA controller on the motherboard and if I end up hooking 2 more SATA devices in the future to this computer, I can enable the Intel SATA controller back for 2 more ports.

metin serdar Sep 23, 2006, 05:57pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me with the following Event Error.

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

I did a full scandisk and defragged the hardrive. At the moment it is working and I have had no bad crashes or anything, but I am afraid that it might be a sign of something serious.

Searched the web but could find any real solutions.

Please help

Regards

Gian

Start -> Run -> Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

EnablePrefetcher -> 1

Set EnablePrefetcher to 1

Jon Iliz Sep 24, 2006, 02:10pm EDT Report Abuse

Jaroslaw Kawecki Sep 24, 2006, 05:22pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi, Finally I decided to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher 0 and to delete everything from %systemroot%\Prefetch.

To Jon:
First you can try do remove in "device manager" device driver for your USB drives and then its parents -USB hub and USB controller(write down its description). Set view "by connection" to see parent-child!
Shutdown and disconnect USB drives.
Start Windows in safe mode!!! (boot -> press F8) and check for drivers with noticed description (be carefull) and remove them if exist. Reboot.
After Windows starts attach one USB drive. Windows should detect USB controller, then USB HUB, then USB drive. CD or floppy disk with drivers you may be asked. Be prepared.
Good luck.

Julia Petrakis Sep 25, 2006, 06:27pm EDT Report Abuse
It is perhaps time to do some summation so that someone far more educated than I can perhaps figure out where these problems actually do originate.

Areas frequently mentioned:

SATA
Raid
Seagate and Maxtor hard drives
USB drives/ports
Prefetch

Fixes that do not necessarily work or work only temporarily:
Thorough cleaning
New hard drive
Reformatting old drive
Emptying/resetting the prefetch configurations

Fix that does seem to work most of the time:
Buy a totally new computer.

One of the more recent posts suggests updating the USB drivers from Microsoft, which might be a partial explanation for why the "totally new computer" works: it comes with updated drivers.

An interesting aside: Both my older emachines Event-51 computer and my new computer run on Windows XP Home Edition with up-to-date updates. Both machines saw/see my USB printer as a Removable storage device/disk. Therefore, the Event 51 message I received noted Harddisk1 (the printer, as it turned out).

Patrick Drd Sep 25, 2006, 07:26pm EDT Report Abuse
Yes, you are right,

the problem reoccurred for me (with my external usb disk - Seagate Momentus) and after some hours of testing, I found out that the problem (error 51) appears only the first time I try to transfer a large file to the external disk (code 04: write error), the file is transfered without error after a small hang (pause - time the error is written) and if I try to copy another large file after that, it completes successfully.

I tried many things, increased the page file to even 4mb(!), but to no avail.
I scanned my disk using both windows' chkdsk and seagate diagnostic tools (surface scan), but no error was found!
I suspect that it has to do with windows and/or my transcend enclosure (I sent an email last night to their tech support - haven't replied yet).

Jon Iliz Sep 25, 2006, 09:57pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Jaro,

I have removed everything having to do with USB drivers in the device manager. Then I rebooted into safe mode and entered device manager again. I found more hubs/and items related to the USB drives and I removed them too.

I then rebooted into windows. The system automatically installed all the drivers on its own once more. Then I plugged in the drive and the USB plug and play does nothing. No new drive letter appears or anything. My system appears to not recognize the drives anymore.

After plugging in the drive anyway into the system a message says it recognized a new device but that is all. Before it used to give a popup asking what application to start when it recognized the drive. My system does not do this anymore.

I then shutdown, took out the PCI USB board from the computer, and rebooted. Then I shutdown again and inserted the board once more and booted up again. As before the system recognized the board and reinstalled a group of drivers. I plug in the disk and things are still the same. My system no longer recognizes the disk drives.

Could I have burned out my PCI USB board?

Thanks,
J

Jaroslaw Kawecki Oct 01, 2006, 10:16am EDT Report Abuse

Chris Stone Oct 16, 2006, 10:29pm EDT Report Abuse
This damn 51, 5, and 9, and 11 error keeps appearing in my own system. I have an HP Pavillion a250n. P4, 2.8 ghz, 1gig of ram, two hard drives: 1-160 gig EIDE and 1-250 gig SATA II drive. My system also locks up hard when I leave it alone for over 5 hours. It is NOT over heating. (I've used speedfan and I checked the temp).

I did go through some good advice that others have posted here - I'll let everyone know if it works for me.

Stoneman

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.