Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1314 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 02:48am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Chris Stone Oct 17, 2006, 11:10am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Nope. I made those registry changes and same deal - the problem happens again. I'm going to buy a new motherboard next month. I've had it.

Stoneman

:X

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Julia Petrakis Oct 17, 2006, 12:01pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I hesitate, as one who knows very little about replacing motherboards, to say this, but I don't think that is going to solve your problem. If you read through even half of this now very lengthy thread, you will see that for the most part, replacement of individual hardware bits does not seem to help. A whole new computer, yes, that may do it but not controllers, boards, cables, etc.

The most frequently mentioned possible causes of the errors appear to be (1) SATA and RAID; (2) USB port conflicts.and (3) drivers (either outdated or incompletely installed). Several computers with neither SATA or RAID have been reported to have problems, so that does not appear to be the root cause, leaving USB ports and drivers, which all computers have and which would be updated and newly installed with the purchase of an entirely new computer.

bunker bob Oct 17, 2006, 03:23pm EDT Report Abuse
update to my Jun 14, 2006 post: Success finally! after struggling with this issue for many months and trying most of the suggested solutions on this board, including at one point a total clean reinstall of Windows XP Pro, I finally threw in the towel and bought a new motherboard, replacing my old Asus A7V600 (Via KT600 chipset) with a cheapo PC Chips M848A from Newegg (SiS chipset; one of the few Socket A boards still being sold). After a "repair" reinstall of Windows XP, the system came up perfectly, and now it has been working with no disk error events for nearly two weeks.
The system has exactly the same video (ATI AIW 8500), hard drives (2 Seagate 160 GB 7200.7 SATA in Raid0, 1 IDE), sound card (Audigy 2) as before, and all the same software. The SATA drives now run on a Sil3114 Sataraid5 PCI card (vs onboard VIA Raid on the original motherboard). Note that as part of my earlier troubleshooting with the old motherboard, I tried using the Sil3114 card instead of the onboard RAID, but with that combination I still got the Event 51's. So the root cause of the problem appears to have been more than just the VIA raid controller. Exactly what? who knows... Also note that I had a close look at all the capacitors on the old motherboard and saw no signs of bulging or leaking, so I have nothing to indicate that the motherboard had any defects; other than perhaps a design defect.
With the benefit of hindsight I see that I could have fixed this problem a lot faster and with fewer expletives if I'd been less stubborn and scrapped the motherboard months ago.

Julia Petrakis Oct 17, 2006, 05:13pm EDT Report Abuse
So, Chris Stone, now you have two different opinions on the motherboard issue. Please be sure to let us know how your replacement comes out.

Steve Hart Oct 17, 2006, 08:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi all,

I posted a long message on this topic a little while ago, (Page 17,) and since then I've been following the threads. Basically, my situation is that I've still got this problem even after I completely replaced my old PC. It plagued me before on my previous system and I now have it again after building an entirely new machine. Admittedly the error is not as frequent, (2 or 3 times a week as opposed to once or twice a day,) but the impact is still the same - system crashes, boot up failures, hangs etc. - and usually at the most inconvenient moment.

I need to be clear here; every component within my PC is brand new, including peripherals, and I honestly thought that this would finally solve the problem. I am even using different manfacturers now for the key components, HDD, RAM, Motherboard, Graphics and PSU. I can't tell you how annoyed I was the first time I got it again - which incidentally was the very same day that I built this new system, even before I installed my usual software. I left this it to run for a full day with just XP and essential motherboard, chipset, graphics and sound drivers and I STILL got the error again. I didn't even go so far as to set up my wireless Internet connection but sure enough, when I went to the machine the very next morning after it had been left on all night, my PC had locked up thanks to the infamous Event ID 51.

I've just about given up trying to solve this as its clear that this is far more complex than I first anticipated. I'll post my spec again in case anyone has any ideas - I'd sure like to try anything that's suggested.

Intel Pentium 3.0Ghz Processor
Gigabyte GA-8N Sli Royal Motherboard with NVIDIA Chipset
2 X 1GB sticks of RAM
1 X Samsung 80GB SATA HDD
2 X NVIDIA 7600GT 256MB PCI Express Graphics Cards, running in Sli mode
Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT Modular PSU
250GB Western Digital External USB HDD
400GB Packard Bell External USB HDD
WinXP Professional SP2 fully updated

I've tried some of the registry and RAID solutions posted by others that fixed this problem on their machine but this has unfortunately made no difference to mine. (I do intend on trying others but time is currently a factor.) As I mentioned in my previous post, I now believe that everyone's solution to the problem will be entirely individual to their own system rather than a global solution for all. I believe this as there has been such a wide variety of solutions that when others have tried them, rarely have they worked and eventually they solved the problem with a completely different chain of events.

Well, now that said my piece I'll get back to scouring the Internet for more ideas/solutions on this. Best of luck to all and if by some minor miracle I do manage to fix this problem on my system I'll certainly post my solution for all to see...

Steve

Julia Petrakis Oct 17, 2006, 09:53pm EDT Report Abuse
So, SATA crops up again. Am I correct that your USB external drives were NOT hooked up the first night when you let it run or did you have those drivers installed at that time?

Chris Stone Oct 17, 2006, 09:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Julia,

I did a test today. I usually leave my system up and running, with Azureus running in the background. TOday though, I didn't have it running. The PC never locked up, after 8+ hours.
Also, I never got ONE Event ID 51, 9, 11, or 5 error.

As soon as I fired up Azureus, boom... the errors appeared again.

I also noticed that when I try to move a large file (300+ mb), I get event 51 errors. So I disabled the "auto move" on file completion for Azureus.

I'm going to test tonight...but honestly, I am leaning towards getting a new Abit motherboard.

Stoneman

Julia Petrakis Oct 17, 2006, 10:25pm EDT Report Abuse
I went to see what Azureus was and found the following on Wikipedia:

This article is about a Java-based BitTorrent client. For poisonous tree frog, see Dendrobates azureus.

You don't suppose we are all barking up the wrong tree, as it were, and the whole problem is due to a poisonous tree frog? ;)

Chris Stone Oct 18, 2006, 11:13am EDT Report Abuse
Nice one.

Anyway, the Pc locked up again last night at 1;15 am. I know because that is where the screen was frozen at. :P

I was thinking about the Abit AI7 motherboard, it looks pretty good. I want to keep my P4 socket 478 CPU for a few more years. I don't need dual core until SP1 of Vista comes out.

:cool:

Stoneman

Mariusz Olszewski Oct 18, 2006, 11:33am EDT Report Abuse
Chris,

if you think about switching to abit ai7, maybe you have a look at my post here:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/?o=300

as you can see i got ai7 mobo and managed to fix event id 51 and 9 problems.
now it's over 3 months without any lockups.
just make sure you use the cables provided by abit in a mobo box.
for some unknown reason i was using different ones for my sata drives before and got lockups.
ever since i changed them for original abit, problems are gone.

btw. ai7 works great and stable here - the only issue is that NB fan fails after some time.
but this is a common problem with many abit boards... sigh

Jon Iliz Oct 18, 2006, 02:45pm EDT Report Abuse

Jon Iliz Oct 18, 2006, 02:53pm EDT Report Abuse
Chris Stone,

I only have the problem when I use Azereus like you and I do not use the auto-move capability. I can copy from the OS 4Gb files from one drive to another with never any errors. But once I start using Azerues I have the problems.

My Dell has two USB 1.0 ports built in and Azereus runs flawlessly when I connect my disks there. Once I connect to the USB 2.0 ports that come from the PCI board I bought is when I have the problem. Initially, the system ran fine for about 4 months with the 2.0 ports then I started getting the errors.

Chris Stone Oct 18, 2006, 05:56pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi there,

This is interesting. I am going to remove Azurerus and try a different Torrent program. I'll see if I get the same errors and if the system locks up again. I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,

Stoneman

:O

Chris Stone Oct 18, 2006, 06:13pm EDT Report Abuse
I've had another idea since posting that message.

Reading this:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/387894.html

I have been using my on-board NIC and I think the issue could be related. I am going to plug in my 10/100 3COM ethernet cad and see what happens tonight.

Stoneman

Steve Hart Oct 18, 2006, 06:46pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks Julia,

Yup, my external USB drives were NOT connected when I left it that first night. This is why I couldn't believe the error appeared again by the next morning. Thanks for your reply!

Steve

Enis Sarac Oct 18, 2006, 08:48pm EDT Report Abuse
Steve and the others,

Before changing out your motherboard, you might want to try buying a SATA PCI controller card as it is much cheaper. My problem was with the Sil3112 controller on my ABit IC7-G and hooking up my drives on the Sil3112 controller to a PCI card with a Promise controller solved the issue. My motherboard has 4 SATA ports, 2 controlled by the Intel ICHR-5 Southbridge chip (both of which work FINE with no problems) and 2 controlled by a Sil3112 onboard chip (both of which had this problem).

This might be a different combination of things for everybody but one thing that does appear to be common is that the only people having this problem are using SATA drives on either Sil3112 or NForce controllers. Promise and other types of controllers appear to work fine. Sil3114 controller also seems to be fine.

Julia Petrakis Oct 18, 2006, 09:27pm EDT Report Abuse
Just to belatedly betray my ignorance, but how do I know if I have a SATA drive? :X

But I think other drives have been mentioned as well.

Enis Sarac Oct 18, 2006, 09:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Just to belatedly betray my ignorance, but how do I know if I have a SATA drive? :X

But I think other drives have been mentioned as well.

The easiest way to determine this is by looking at the cable attached to the drive. SATA drives use the thin transfer cables like the one in this picture (all IDE drives use much thicker parallel ribbon cables):

http://www.atechfabrication.com/images/htpc/products/SATA_Cable_data.jpg

Jon Iliz Oct 19, 2006, 10:37am EDT Report Abuse
Chris,

Yes, I only have the problem when Azereus runs. I love that program and so far have been getting by using usb 1.0 instead. When I need to copy files I unplug, move disks to another computer with usb 2.0 to do the fast disk to disk transfer.

Patrick Drd Oct 19, 2006, 11:03am EDT Report Abuse
As some of you might remember,
I had the same problem myself with an external Seagate Momentus HD and
a Transcend Storejet enclosure,

the solution to my problem (relief) was to buy a new enclosure (icy-box) and put my disk in it.

The problem disappeared completely!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.