Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1427 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 02:58am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
David Stubbs Dec 21, 2006, 12:48pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I'm running a Dell E1505 and also experienced this error.

In Computer Management system events (My Computer->Manage->Event Viewer->System) I would see

Warning disk event 51

The warning was always preceeded by

Error atapi event 9

Almost all comentary about Event 51 focuses on those two messages.

However, the event that almost always preceeded the atapi error by less than 1 minute was

Information Service Control Manager event 7036

This message involved the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service. This service supports the use of digital imaging devices (cards, cameras, scanners).

When I disabled this service (stopped it from running by using MSCONFIG and rebooting), the disk event 51 problem went away.

I would welcome additional discussion about this solution.

Cheers!

David Stubbs
Usability Architects, Inc.
Portland, Oregon

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Julia Petrakis Dec 22, 2006, 09:08pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
David Stubbs said:
I'm running a Dell E1505 and also experienced this error.

In Computer Management system events (My Computer->Manage->Event Viewer->System) I would see

Warning disk event 51

The warning was always preceeded by

Error atapi event 9

Almost all comentary about Event 51 focuses on those two messages.

However, the event that almost always preceeded the atapi error by less than 1 minute was

Information Service Control Manager event 7036

This message involved the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service. This service supports the use of digital imaging devices (cards, cameras, scanners).

When I disabled this service (stopped it from running by using MSCONFIG and rebooting), the disk event 51 problem went away.

I believe that atapi errors in all likelihood refer to a CD-Rom drive (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Do you have a CD drive, a imaging card, camera, or scanner/printer that uses a USB port? Do you have some program (backup, restore, player, etc.) set to automatically access a CD drive, imaging card, camera, or scanner/printer?

In this thread, USB problems have frequently been noted. In my own experience, my Lexmark USB printer had been erroneously identified by the computer as a hard drive and was in part the cause of the Event 51 errors. And I am not sure but think that the Real Player was the cause of some atapi errors.

Steven DeLaCastro Jan 03, 2007, 08:52pm EST Report Abuse
Well I read about fourteen pages and fixed my start up problem on the first attempt and it cost nothing.

I suppose all of you here have a D partition on your hard drive? I do and this drive apparently cannot be anything but "read only" accessed at start up by anthing but Windows without this error being produced.

In my case it was Diskeeper. I had ignored the installation instructions and included logical drive "D" for automatic defragmentation. Diskeeper runs as a service and would go after "D" during start up before Windows settled down. When I excluded "D" from automatic defragmentation this went away immediately.

I would suggest to all that you think of utilities that you are using that would fall into the above pattern and then exclude them from operating on "D" during start up at a minimum.

Good luck!

Julia Petrakis Jan 03, 2007, 10:55pm EST Report Abuse
Steven DeLaCastro said:
Well I read about fourteen pages and fixed my start up problem on the first attempt and it cost nothing.

I suppose all of you here have a D partition on your hard drive? I do and this drive apparently cannot be anything but "read only" accessed at start up by anthing but Windows without this error being produced.

In my case it was Diskeeper. I had ignored the installation instructions and included logical drive "D" for automatic defragmentation. Diskeeper runs as a service and would go after "D" during start up before Windows settled down. When I excluded "D" from automatic defragmentation this went away immediately.

I would suggest to all that you think of utilities that you are using that would fall into the above pattern and then exclude them from operating on "D" during start up at a minimum.

Good luck!

Nope, sorry Stevie, no D partition :cool:...
...although I do have a printer that is identified by Windows XP as my F drive.

Steven DeLaCastro Jan 03, 2007, 11:24pm EST Report Abuse
Julia,

I suggest using Startup Delayer from R2 studios (freeware that I love and works wonderfully):

http://www.r2.com.au/

to control and delay your Lexmark startup executable(s) for a minute or so.

Let us know if this fixes your 51 error. The key is to delay any virtual hard drive update access until Windows is done dancing on startup.

Julia Petrakis Jan 04, 2007, 01:07am EST Report Abuse
Steven DeLaCastro said:
Julia,

I suggest using Startup Delayer from R2 studios (freeware that I love and works wonderfully):

http://www.r2.com.au/

to control and delay your Lexmark startup executable(s) for a minute or so.

Let us know if this fixes your 51 error. The key is to delay any virtual hard drive update access until Windows is done dancing on startup.

No, Steve, I don't/didn't have any virtual hard drive (ram drive, right?), either. I had a bottom-end e-machines computer with a single hard drive (C:), simple out-of-the-box Windows XP setup, a Lexmark printer, and USB ports to which if memory serves a USB hub, the printer and a memory stick or two were attached. A couple of years or so after purchase, I began to get 51 errors. Upon changing computer and subsequently the printer, I have not had to date (knock on wood) any 51 errors, although I use the same software and basically the same setup.

I simply note for curiosity's sake that both computers persist in identifying both the Lexmark printers as drives.

I, however, am no longer having 51 errors.

Graeme Gemmill Jan 04, 2007, 07:08am EST Report Abuse
David, I too have seen the Windows Image acquisition service event immediately before a number of failures, although not always followed by error 9/error 51 messages. I have now stopped the WIA service and one or two others that started up around that time for no obvious reason - I wasn't trying to access cameras (WIA), burn CDs (Creative service for CDROM) or copy to a portable audio device (WMDM PMSP).
However, I'm not sure this is the whole story. I've had this machine for 18 months with no problems until the SATA controller failed and it was returned for a MOBO replacement (ASUS A8V Deluxe). Only on its return did the error 9/error 51 problems start. This PC also has Maxtor 6Y200M0/6B200M0 drives, so you can see there are other similarities developing throughout this thread.
A further thing to think about - I've also installed Mandriva 2007, and it shut down after 5 attempts to do I/O to what it called partition sda3, which is the extended partition "wrapper" on the first disk for valid XP drives/Linux partitions. I'm trying to find out separately why Linux should try to do I/O to a part of the disk that has no data.

Dillon Thaxton Jan 07, 2007, 06:29pm EST Report Abuse
After battling this problem for a while I decided to remove my CD-ROM drive since I was getting ATAPI errors at the same time 90% of the time...

Seems to have fixed the problem, for now anyway.

I had my primary HD set as slave with the CD-ROM as master. Haven't tried putting the CD-ROM on the other IDE channel yet, going to see how long I'm stable first.

Dillon Thaxton Jan 07, 2007, 06:36pm EST Report Abuse
Also...

The problem began after I installed a 2nd HD and put the primary HD & CD-ROM on the same cable.

Julia Petrakis Jan 07, 2007, 07:20pm EST Report Abuse
Steven DeLaCastro said:

As we head into pg 22 or 23, I think, and after the many years this thread has been ongoing without an "ah ha!" solution workable for all the many highly technical people who have experienced the frustration of Error 51s and have participated in this thread, I think it is safe to say, there is no easy fix -- in fact, as far as we know to date, there is no single fix at all. There are fixes that don't fix; there are fixes that fix for a day or two; there are fixes (like mine) that entail getting an entirely new setup. There are hints (SATA, USB, RAID) that recur with astonishing frequency. But there is, to date, no one explanation and no one fix that will be a fix for everyone. In short, we have not yet, after however many years and however many folks and however many pages, determined what is the root cause of the Error 51.

Michel Hoek Jan 08, 2007, 09:25am EST Report Abuse
Hi guys,

Just a progress report.

Michel Hoek said:

Last sunday I have replaced all 6 HD's in our two servers. The Maxtor SATAII 160GB (Type 6V160E0) HD's have been replaced by Western Digital SATAII 160GB (Type WDC WD1600JS). It took me about 3 hours including the RAID mirroring.

The servers are running without problems so far, but sometimes the problem occurred only after 10-14 days. I will keep you guys posted on how the servers behave...

It has been more than two month now, no problems at all so far. I do not think my problem was power related. The servers are brand new. And I gues a Maxtor HDD does not use much more power than a WD HDD.
I think it is the Maxtor and Intel Raid Chipset combo.

The strange thing is: Recently I have received a copy of Vista. Having 6 spare HDD's I tried to install Vista on a raid system using the Maxtor HDD's.
I could not get it to work. The installation was very slow, stalled and crashed (bsod). Installing raid drivers did not have any positive effect.
When installing without the raid system there was no problem at all.

Edro Jan 21, 2007, 02:20pm EST Report Abuse

Mariusz Olszewski Jan 21, 2007, 02:41pm EST Report Abuse
@Edro --

quite an original solution I must say.

that brings up a basic question again: is this issue hardware or software related?
while some of us, including me, found solutions related to hardware, the others, like you, seem to resolve problem of software nature.
still, it's only good for us, lucky ones but not for the others who still fight against this one of the most misterious computer issues, rather forced to do it in a "hit and hope" way.
again it proves there's no universal cure.

Edro Jan 21, 2007, 03:48pm EST Report Abuse

Julia Petrakis Jan 21, 2007, 03:52pm EST Report Abuse

Edro Jan 21, 2007, 03:53pm EST Report Abuse
Maybe I missed some of the posts, but I'm wondering why there haven't been any "insider" posters, that is, perhaps someone who works at Microsoft, or one of the hard drive companies, or MB, or other "insider". I'm thinking that they are as confused as we are.

As for the hardware solutions that corrected the problem, I wonder if getting a Promise PCI SATA card didn't change the drive letters around. But as you said, the solutions are as varied as they can be here, so I guess you do whatever works. Maybe someone should summarize the information on these 22 pages into a decision tree or even a wizard (not that I like the wizards at all.)

Sorry for the empty post above. I hit enter when it asked for my user/pass and it created a post. Duh!

Ed

Mariusz Olszewski Jan 22, 2007, 12:18am EST Report Abuse
MS and HW vendors have NO exact solution that would actually work for all of us.
I was googling the net for weeks and must say that this thread is probably the only one such deeply analyzing the problem.
Look at it, it started in Nov 2003, still there's no absolute cure to be found.

And I agree, maybe the question "hardware or software" is not relevant here since changing particular software settings usually have impact on hardware.

Edro Jan 22, 2007, 12:45am EST Report Abuse
..and vice versa..
:)

Martin durand Jan 26, 2007, 08:08am EST Report Abuse
Hi there !

I have a similar problem but without the event error specified.
My mobo is a P4P800-deluxe , which is ICH5R based. Before any problem to come, my system was fully IDE.

A few weeks ago i bought two SamSung spinpoint (SATA/250Go) and connected to my mobo then installed IAA and created a raid1 array (which is a "new" feature because in the past intel driver/storage manager only support raid0 arrays).

And then , i've installed windows XP on this array (with the so good driver disk for ICH5R) and made it bootable thru the mobo Bios.

Problems appeared. Random freezes, and when i say freeze, i mean just freeze. No mouse or keyboard answer (numlock freezed), nothing in eventlog.
So i tried many things ... memtest86 ... heavy loads ... nothing reproductible. Just random freezes, about one every 3 or 4 hours, sometimes nothing was happening for one full day.

As i knew the only thing really changed on my computer was my new sata raid disk configuration, i've immediately worked on that way : i put my system's hardware like it was before: booting in full IDE mode, disconnected SATA disks : no hangs.
I also tried to connect my SATA disks back and installed intel driver to see my array from my "IDE system" : new freezes.

So it's about disks and/or chipset , but i don't have this "event id 51" error !??:X

So now the question is : what do you think i should do to make my raid system functional ?

Edro Jan 26, 2007, 09:29am EST Report Abuse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.