Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1326 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 03:10am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Shannon S Mar 05, 2008, 12:22am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I was getting harddisk errors too and also the sptd driver errors. I disabled the sptd driver (click link below) and everything for the moment is working better. Faster network transfers, no errors in Event Viewer, no BSOD's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here but I think it may have solved my issue. This driver is used by programs like Daemon Tools among others. If you use these programs you may want to uninstall the sptd driver and install the newest version. It may help. Good luck!!!

Thanks guys,
Shannon

http://www.duplexsecure.com/faq

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Julia Petrakis Mar 05, 2008, 01:40am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I am now, after all this time, curious to know whether this is essentially an XP problem that Microsoft has solved with Vista: has anyone running Vista seen this?

Maik Maikowski Mar 22, 2008, 04:40pm EDT Report Abuse
How strange, i thought i solved this problem one month ago, but now, from yesterday, i am getting this error AGAIN in adition with Event ID 9 The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period. :X

One month my PC was working without glitches, and errors. But NOW, again i see this error. Especially, when listening to the music from Winamp. :bored:

saint croix Mar 28, 2008, 03:22am EDT Report Abuse
just a thought.
Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

Mine is a usb removable hot drive. 60 gb IBM datastar( something like that).
it does not matter what drive in this case. the error happens because win xp can not read the cache the USB is too slow, window looks and does not see it so it renders error warning 51.
This was passed to me from a tech at a local pc repair.
Microsoft is aware and intends to do nothing about it
because it is in fact hardware oriented.

My problem is when i lick the command to clear this event log it never does
all others clear but never for a USB drive

Yes there are details but they are really not relavent at this point. it is a HARDWARE generated event. It IS windows fault.
I will stop now because I do not want to go into a rant about some huge corporation( who shall remain nameless that does not care about it's end users.
I hope this let some of you sleep better.:)
Please excuse my typing I am dyslexic.

Mariusz Olszewski Mar 28, 2008, 06:10am EDT Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
I am now, after all this time, curious to know whether this is essentially an XP problem that Microsoft has solved with Vista: has anyone running Vista seen this?

I'm afraid MS doesn't recognize this as XP issue for the reason it's hardware oriented one.
Plus there are so many potential causes that I don't think OS patches or hotfixes might help in any way.
The only software that give a chance to "cure" the issue could be updated storage or chipset drivers, but still they deal with hardware directly.

jerry Barnett Mar 29, 2008, 11:43am EDT Report Abuse
This problem occurs in Vista also. My problem was solve by removing my burning software.

Maciek Dyluś Jul 09, 2008, 02:15pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi !
I've the same problem with event 51 and event 9. What is worse, every time when this errors happen, OS changes the transmission type: from UDMA to PIO :/ I tried almost everything. I unistalled my IDE Device Driver, i changed SATA wire, I used tips from this topic.
Errors are connected with partition D (\Device\Harddisk0\D), but it's empty.

My PC:
Win XP Home
Intel Core DUO 4300 1.80 GHz
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
Intel P965 Express Chipset
1GB DDRAM Kingstone
ASUS NVIDIA GF 7600
Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 160-GB Hard Drive ST3160815AS
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1H
Tagan 500+ W

Marc Librescu Jul 12, 2008, 05:29pm EDT Report Abuse
This problem has been driving me crazy for the last month, at least. Here are the symptoms I had and what I did to fix it:

Symptoms: Random PC freezes. I had the PC set to automatically backup with Retrospect, then shut down. In the morning, I would find Retrospect still open but the PC was frozen. I could move the cursor with the mouse but that was all. I would have to force a reboot. About 1/3 of the times I would force a reboot, the PC froze upon startup. An additional forced reboot was needed.

Event ID was 51. Disks involved were both the 2nd internal drive that was partitioned into 3 drives and also the external drive that I was backing up to. This external drive was brand new because at one time, I thought the older external HD was causing the problem.

Suspected cause of the problem: I had been using Diskeeper 2007 to automatically defragment my hard drives. I can't prove that Diskeeper caused the problem, but it is suspect. Diskeeper has as feature where it analyzes the disk and declares it to be unhealthy if it looks like the MFT is going to get fragmented. It lets you reconfigure the MFT, which I did on several drives. I believe this to be the cause of the problem.

Another possible cause of at least part of the problem: I had changed the size of the partition on the 2nd internal drive using Partition Magic. This could have created an error.

How I fixed it: First, I uninstalled Diskeeper and a number of other programs that I deemed uncessesary that were running in the background.

Next, I manually copied the files that I was storing on the internal drive onto the external drive. Then I deleted the partions on the drive using Disk Management in Administrative tools. I created a new partition and then formatted the drive.

My next step was to copy the files from the external drive onto the internal drives. Then I used Disk Management to delete the partiion on the external drive and format it.

Then I ran a test backup on my PC. It ran without freezing for the first time in a long time. Next, I let the PC backup overnight. No freeze. No freezes since. I have also noticed that since this repair, my PC is a lot faster, although this might be the result of not having so many applications running in the background.

So, the short answer for me, was to reformat the drives. But simply reformatting the drives didn't fix the problem. I had to first delete the partions on the drives, create a new partion, and then reformat the drives.

More information on how to do this can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

By the way, I've decided it's time to switch over to Mac. I can't even begin to figure out how much time I spent trying to diagnose and fix this problem. My Mac just works.

Maciek Dyluś Jul 20, 2008, 07:05am EDT Report Abuse
I managed to solve my problem. My chipset has two SATA controlers - first is Intel controler, second is gigabyte controler. I switched from Intel to Gigabyte and there isn't event 51 no more. PC is fast again, but I wonder that it is hardware or maybe software problem.

frank wang Jul 26, 2008, 03:12pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Folks,

I have the same problem and hope someone can help me:-)

My Thinkpad T60 becomes very slow to boot. Each click takes 1-2 mins to respond.
I found a lot of dreadful "Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation" in the event log during the boot time.

However, the laptop works fine about 30 mins after the boot. No more Event 51 in the log.

Here are the tests I have done:

1. CHKDSK pass
2. PC Doctor pass
3. Thinkpad BIOS hard drive diagnostic test: failed with "read verification error"

I suspect hard drive is the problem but the problem only appears when I boot/reboot/shutdown. It works fine once it starts to work. The PC Doctor detects no problems.

Any hints?

neo nikita Jul 30, 2008, 01:24pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello,

I had the same problem with my WD 500GB external drive... I tested the hdd with all the utilities possible... FINALLY.... I changed the USB CABLE with a better insulated(stiffer) and shorter cable... never had a problem since.

I wouldn't be surprised if bad SATA or IDE cables proved to be a big problem too.

May i add that i used the supplied cable that came with the hdd to find out that it is unsuitable. Gave me quite a fright ... losing 500GB of data.

Lee Anderson Aug 15, 2008, 03:55am EDT Report Abuse
PROBLEM SOLVED! (for me at least -- I'm sure this won't apply to all occasions of Event ID 51)

Sorry if this has already been covered.
My 2-week-old 'Maxtor OneTouch Mini 4' portable hard drive has been producing this event sporadically (every ~10 to ~90 minutes) since the day I bought it. After reading one of the early posts here that mentioned something about the OS not being able to retrieve information fast enough, an idea came to me.
My Maxtor goes into some kind of sleep mode (disks not spinning) after about 10 minutes of non-use, so copied a 2-hour-long DVD to it, opened VLC, and played the DVD folder (trying to keep the drive busy). The result -- 4 hours (of me using my computer as usual) with no Event ID: 51. So it seems Micro$oft has given me two options:
1)
Unnecessarily wear my HD (plus my CPU, RAM, ect.) by keeping it constantly busy.
2)
Individually open 20 to 40 system events every day, to make sure none of them were on my main HD. Oh, and as an added bonus my event log won't help me with early warning on my new HD going bad.
Perhaps there is a third option...?
One idea that came to me -- go to My Computer --> right-click any drive --> Properties --> Hardware tab --> double-click the drive that's causing Event 51 --> Policies tab
Select "Optimize for quick removal" (disabling write caching). I wonder if this would work...?

Chris Stone Aug 15, 2008, 08:16am EDT Report Abuse
This error was due to a faulty SATA cable. After I replaced my cable 6 months ago, I never found any new errors or lockups.

J W Aug 25, 2008, 08:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Greetings all. I'm new here, but I have experienced the same problem that this thread has discussed... for 27 pages :O

I recently just fixed this problem on my machine, and I thought I'd share how... especially since my solution was so different from many of yours.

My Event ID 51 seems to have stemmed between either a faulty ATI driver, or more likely, an older driver conflicting with one of MSs many updates/hot fixes.

I concluded this by noticing these ID 51 events ALWAYS being just after an ATI*** error event in my even log. After completely uninstalling all ATI software and drivers, and then installing the newest versions, everything is working fine again.

I realize this certainly won't apply to all issues, but I think it will help some... and also, don't forget that ATI is now an AMD company, so this issue may have more to do with AMDs side of things.

Andrew S Sep 10, 2008, 05:18pm EDT Report Abuse
I had this problem for 2 months. Tried several fixes including registry changes, removing external drives, changing SATA cables, even reading the M/s code explanation (which didn't help anyway.)

In the end the problem was fixed on this pc by changing Processor scheduling from Programs to Background Services, and Memory Usage from Programs to System Cache.

Its been running ok now for 3 days. Previously the code 51 showed up both whilst idling with the screensaver on, but also during any other operation. Sometimes the error showed up on the hour every hour, other times they were random and 2 or 3 hours apart.
I use 3 Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration so I can't use the WD diagnostic tool.

One other thing I did - and I dont know if this had any bearing - was to defrag my page file.

Hopefully this might help someone, although from what I have learned this error code seems to cover multiple events and I expect a lot of members posting here will have already tried this option.

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abit IP35 Pro - Q6600 - Coolermaster Hyper TX2 - 850 Antec Quattro
3 x Raptors Raid 0 - 8800GT - 4Gb Team Dark PC 8500 - Logitech G9
Maik Maikowski Sep 12, 2008, 04:15pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi all, suffering from this stupid error...

Well, the problem (for me) is a HIGH DOWNLOADING SPEEDS (on torrents or DC++).

Almost every time I finish downloading a movie from torrents (I limit speed to 2MB/s), my PC freezes (with the same error) for a while and it repeats untill I restart the PC, and boot it for a few minutes from the Hiren's Boot CD.

So the problem is DVD-ROM and SATA HDD related. IMHO.

I am using Windows XP sp2.
So I usually try to avoid downloading movies from torrents or DC :D just a ONE for a week.

Cathy Keeton Sep 17, 2008, 03:42pm EDT Report Abuse
Maik,

Thank you 1 million times for sharing your fix. I know this paging error can be caused by many things, and your fix actually sounded odd.

In my mind, I'm thinking what needs more memory - Programs or Background services? To me the obvious answer is Programs. Wouldn't you think so too?

But it was the quickest solution that I could try without any real risk, so I tried it. I got 3 paging errors after I made the change last night - but they were probably due to the fact that I had a couple of intense program functions running. About 2 hours after I made the change, I didn't see any errors.

Today I have been on my system for about 2 hours and have not had any paging (Event 51) errors. Typically I had 3 or 4 errors an hour. One disk in particular had the majority of errors, but 2 other disks had a few here and there. All of the errors occurred on my 3 external drives.

Seagate FreeAgent external USB 350GB - 80%-90% of errors
Seagate FreeeAgent Pro external SATA 750GB 5%-10%
Western Digital external USB 200GB 5%-10%

Regarding paging - I cannot create a paging file on any of these external drives, even thought I have Write Caching enabled on all of the external drives. The inability to create paging files on the external drives has been an issue since I went to XP SP2 recently. I thought that might be the reason for the paging errors. I also consistently saw tons of Page Faults in Process Explorer/Task Manager.

Do any of you with the Event 51 error also have thousands of Page Faults?

Maik, Thanks again for sharing your fix.

Maik Maikowski Sep 17, 2008, 07:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Cathy Keeton said:
Maik,

Thank you 1 million times for sharing your fix. I know this paging error can be caused by many things, and your fix actually sounded odd.

In my mind, I'm thinking what needs more memory - Programs or Background services? To me the obvious answer is Programs. Wouldn't you think so too?

But it was the quickest solution that I could try without any real risk, so I tried it. I got 3 paging errors after I made the change last night - but they were probably due to the fact that I had a couple of intense program functions running. About 2 hours after I made the change, I didn't see any errors.

Today I have been on my system for about 2 hours and have not had any paging (Event 51) errors. Typically I had 3 or 4 errors an hour. One disk in particular had the majority of errors, but 2 other disks had a few here and there. All of the errors occurred on my 3 external drives.

Seagate FreeAgent external USB 350GB - 80%-90% of errors

Regarding paging - I cannot create a paging file on any of these external drives, even thought I have Write Caching enabled on all of the external drives. The inability to create paging files on the external drives has been an issue since I went to XP SP2 recently. I thought that might be the reason for the paging errors. I also consistently saw tons of Page Faults in Process Explorer/Task Manager.

Do any of you with the Event 51 error also have thousands of Page Faults?

Maik, Thanks again for sharing your fix.

I am glad, that I helped some one, but yesterday I mentioned something new...I got this error (51) when was extracting 1.37 GB rar file... :) But in the other hand, it is the same. Look... The computer uses Hard Disk to write extracted files, yes ? So the problem is THE SPEED of writing these files on Hard Disk. The disk just "can not handle" it. It is only my opinion, but I think it is near the truth. I don't know how to AVOID these errors, I don't know how to FIX it, but if you want temporarily to fix it, just put Hiren's Boot CD on you CD/DVD-Rom and keep it for a few minutes, run some programm (for example Partition magic) or smth, and after that just restart the PC. I know, it sounds STUPID, but it is the only way that works for me. I do these steps every time I get this stupid error 51 and it WORKS great :)

Sorry for gramma.

Cathy Keeton Sep 19, 2008, 03:53am EDT Report Abuse

Hi Andrew,

I posted a reply last night to Maik, but it was actually the solution in your post that I was trying to reply to. Many, many thanks for sharing it.

First question - are you still Event 51 'free'? I thought I had it whipped when I applied the change you shared, but...

From my previous post/reply to Maik, summary of how my Event 51 errors were happening:

Typically I had 3 or 4 errors an hour. One disk in particular had the majority of errors, but 2 other disks had a few here and there. All of the errors occurred on my 3 external drives.

Seagate FreeAgent external USB 350GB 80%-90% of errors

I changed my advanced settings doing the same thing you suggested (changing Processor scheduling from Programs to Background Services, and Memory Usage from Programs to System Cache) and my paging file errors (event 51) went away almost completely. The next day I started getting a few more errors again; not as bad as before but about 10 or 12 errors in 1/2 a day. This time the errors are on one of the drives that almost never got errors before - The Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB SATA II had all the errors Thursday. The errors have increased as the day goes on so I feel like I've not reached a total solution yet.

Also, repeating a comment and question from my last post:
Regarding paging - I cannot create a paging file on any of these external drives, even though I have Write Caching enabled on all of the external drives. The inability to create paging files on the external drives has been an issue since I went to XP SP2 recently. I thought that might be the reason for the paging errors. I also consistently see thousands/millions of Page Faults in Process Explorer/Task Manager.

Andrew, have you paid attention to the number of Page Faults you normally see (or did see when you had the errors) in Task manager or Process Explorer or similar program? Can you tell me how you have your paging files configured on your system? Are you running WinXP SP2? Was your event 51 on only one drive or multiple?

Charis Kyriacou Sep 20, 2008, 12:41pm EDT Report Abuse
SOLUTION:

For my PC i found the cause of the problem and I could not believe it!

I had the Akasa Hardisk Cooler (the one with the 2 small fans on it), that fits on the hardisk. http://img.misco.co.uk/images/uploadedimages/med/236205.jpg

At the beginning everything was fine. After a month of usage due to depreciation of fans, vibrations of the fans increase and started to get the Event ID - 51, then bluescreen. I ckecked the hardisk speed and was very slow, that caused the problems in windows.(delay to write and read)

I try every solution written in the forum but nothing!

I finally removed the hardisk fan and since then NO PROBLEMS.
Also my hardisk speed improved dramatically.
Those of you that have fans on your hardisk try removing it completely from the system and you will see the difference :)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.