Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1159 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 03:47am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Julia Petrakis Dec 17, 2008, 06:22pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Maik Maikowski said:
Hm, interesting. If I detect any drop of voltage during Event 51, I will write again. ;)

And if you definitely do NOT detect a drop of voltage, let us know that also.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
John Lai Dec 17, 2008, 07:35pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Dear Maik,

You mentioned that your computer was doing a disk check when you booted it. When does this happen? I'm asking because when I had the event 51 error on my computer, it also did disk checks on cold boot. If this is happening to you on a regular basis, I would strongly advise that you backup your data to another media (USB drive, CD, DVD, etc.) because you may get to the stage where the errors accumulate and you cannot boot your computer at all (this happened to me while I was troubleshooting the error).

The event 51 error basically means that your computer had a problem writing from RAM to disk, or from disk to RAM. If you get the error it is likely that you are losing data somewhere in the process. If the data you lost is not critical, the windows check disk can sort of fix it and possibly recover some of the data; however, if it's a system file you lose, then it can corrupt your entire file system and you cannot even start your computer.

The last thing I want to mention to everyone is that the error 51 problem is hard to diagnose if you're not looking in the right places. This is because it is a problem associated with writing from disk to RAM or vice versa. Depending on what is been written at the time the error occurs, the immediate symptoms can be very different. For example, if the disk was writing a critical system file when the error occurs, then you may get this error as well in the event viewer: "ERROR EventID 55 The ntfs file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:." (this happened to me). Running chkdsk is only a bandaid solution. If the disk was writing a less critical file, you probably won't get any additional error messages, but something else will be corrupt, say the event viewer log (this happened to me as well).

So, just to summarise, there may be a multitude of high-level symptoms; but the underlying cause, as Julia mentioned, can probably be traced to a few candidates e.g. power related, bad hard disk; bad IDE/SATA cable etc.

Maik, if you can, try to replace your hard disk with one that you know is working properly and see if the error occurs (I know this is annoying because you have to reinstall windows etc.). If the problem reoccurs, try replacing the IDE/SATA cable. The voltage readings from your BIOS seem well within spec; however different CPUs need different voltage levels, so I would check that against the documentation for your CPU. Are you using an IDE drive? If so, try a SATA drive, and vice versa. If the problem occurs on both drive types, then it is highly unlikely that your hard drive is the cause. It's down to your motherboard, PSU, or a driver related issue.

Thanks

John Lai

ng ws Dec 18, 2008, 01:07am EST Report Abuse
i have tis problem also!!

plz help me
anyway to solve it?
mine is hitachi 250gb 7200rpm

Maik Maikowski Dec 18, 2008, 06:54am EST Report Abuse
Yes, after Event 51 I always get "chkdsk", and sometime it checks C drive, usually D partition, and sometimes both. (My HDD is samsung SATA 160 gb, C and D partitions).

Yes, I made some backups few months ago. (actually, I gotta buy external HDD for data someday)

Yes, my PC (systems) was crashed MANY MANY TIMES because of this error. So when PC didn't start windows, I just made format C (LOL :blush:) and re-installed windows. And then everything was fine until... other error (after 2 months) ... crash... format... reinstall, and so on.... (never lost data on D partition, though... only C partition).

But interesting fact is that NOW my PC is "stable" about 7 months :cool:. I mean, yes, I have crashes sometimes during Event 51 and my windows don't boot, so then I load up from Hiren's Boot CD (check my previous posts about it). I think it was driver issue, that my PC is "stable", because now my drivers are without " yeallow warning" icons.

But still, sometimes after huge DATA transfer from torrents or DC++ I am getting Event 51.
I suspect bad motherboard/RAM or my HDD. But I can't check it though.... maybe other time.

I am using SATA disk. But I can not replace the disk, I don't have another :D but maybe I will buy new bigger HDD someday for DATA and try to check this.

Edwin Bradford Dec 26, 2008, 04:37pm EST Report Abuse
Hi all,

I just registered to make this post as I thought it might help some of you. I'm not a Windows expert by any means but I quite easily tracked down the cause of my Event 51 error with the exact description of this thread title. The cause was Windows Service Pack 3. My machine has been stable for months with no problems, I upgraded to Service Pack 3 as the software I wanted to install recommended it and straight away started getting Event 51 errors in the Event Viewer.

I booted into safe mode and it went away, I disabled most of my drivers in various tests and it disappeared and reappeared in what seemed like an unpredictable and erratic manner. I updated my BIOS and the RAID drivers but no good. I keep a mirror image of my Windows partition made with a Linux CD, best thing I ever did. I decided it wasn't worth wasting any more time on Windoze and restored the original Service Pack 2 image made just before I installed Service Pack 3. Hey presto no more Event errors, all is happy and sunny again.

For those of you with event 51 errors and Service Pack 3 I suggest you roll back to Service Pack 2 if at all possible, it will take a few months for Microsoft to catch up with the problems they've created.

Hope that's helpful.

Brien Johnson Jan 20, 2009, 12:15pm EST Report Abuse
I had this problem with my external USB drive.

Go into your BIOS and change PCI Delay Transaction to Enabled.

For many years I had incorrectly thought that it was ISA bus specific, because that is what BIOS optimization guides had said. This webpage: http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=77 explains how that is incorrect.

Since changing this to Enabled in the BIOS (it is almost always Disabled by default) I have not had any Event ID 51 errors.

This will probably only help with external drives connected to a USB card.

john purex Jan 24, 2009, 01:13pm EST Report Abuse

joe laj Feb 03, 2009, 06:15am EST Report Abuse
I have straggled with the Event 51 problem for some time now. I tried changing SATA cables, updating BIOS firmware, removing service pack 3. No result by now.
Windows starts slow as hell. I don't know where the problem lays. I'm gonna reinstall it I think.

Configuration:
Asus P5W DH Deluxe, core 2 duo Q6600 2.4@3.0
RAID5 on 3x WD 320GB SATA
Windows XP, now with service pack 2 :)

John Lai Feb 03, 2009, 07:01pm EST Report Abuse
Joe Laj,

Have you checked the voltages being supplied to your motherboard in the BIOS? Your hard drives may not be getting enough power.

Thanks

John Lai

Jeff Boemler Feb 12, 2009, 10:28pm EST Report Abuse

I have recently experienced this problem with the Maxtor OneTouch4 USB external backup drive (500 Gb). I had a perfectly running machine prior to this, including an 80Gb external IDE drive in a generic external USB enclosure. I have tried most of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. My BIOS showed my voltage as perfect. I came to the conclusion that it was the Maxtor OneTouch external enclosure itself, not the drive. The USB interface components used in this enclosure are junk. I ended up opening the enclosure and removing the SATA drive and installing it internally in my PC. Trashed the rest. I don't have the amazing One-Touch button feature any more, but I have a hard drive that doesn't generate Event ID 51 errors. I would stay away from the Maxtor OneTouch product line. The amount of time I spent trying to resolve this error was more than the drive was worth...:/

John Lai Feb 12, 2009, 11:03pm EST Report Abuse
Dear Jeff,

I have been using a Maxtor OneTouch II (300Gb) for a few years now and have never had any problems. Perhaps you just happened to get one from the factory that had some defects. Was it within the warranty period when you got the problems?

Thanks

John Lai

Jeff Boemler Feb 13, 2009, 07:24am EST Report Abuse

Jeff Boemler Feb 13, 2009, 07:46am EST Report Abuse
Perhaps I did just receive a bad one? My research outside of this thread indicates that many others experienced similar errors with this product. Yes, I believe it was probably still under warranty. However, my experience as an IT professional has taught me that there is really no such thing as "Customer Service" anymore, ...anywhere. Most companies have adopted the practice of wasting so much of the customer's time, that they get frustrated and go away. They staff their customer service with incompetent people, or someone who barely speaks your language (cheap labor). The amount of time you spend with dealing with customer support these days, in most cases, costs you more than you spent on the product. Bottom line is research a product thoroughly before buying.

Brian O. Mar 01, 2009, 03:35pm EST Report Abuse
I'm having the same problem now and apparently I've been getting this Event ID 51 for almost a month now (started 2/5 and has been going on several times a day up to today as well). The only reason I noticed this time was my computer suddenly restarted itself, and before that there was the blue screen of death but it went away so quickly, I didn't have a chance to see what it said.

Weston Mar 01, 2009, 03:51pm EST Report Abuse
i Would start by Disabling the Auto Restart on system failure. to do this:
Right click My computer> properties> Advanced> under start up and recovery go settings> uncheck Automatic restart under System failure. This should allow u to read the error and give u more information to work with of what the problem may be.

Brian O. Mar 01, 2009, 09:58pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks, though this only happened once (today).

Another odd thing I have a question about: The device seems to be my Maxtor External Hard Drive (E drive) but the Event ID 51, it says "\Device\Harddisk1\D", I thought D was for the drive... What does it stand for?

John Lai Mar 01, 2009, 10:03pm EST Report Abuse
Hi,

Do you still have problems if you disconnect your external hard drive?

Thanks

Brian O. Mar 01, 2009, 10:10pm EST Report Abuse
I don't believe so. And interestingly enough, when I did disconnect it, I checked the Event Manager and an error was logged at the time I disconnected it...

Brian O. Mar 01, 2009, 10:14pm EST Report Abuse
Oh, and also, I decided to move a few very important files onto a small 2GB flash drive I have. Anyway, when I did disconnect it and got that error, the device changed to "Harddisk2" because now that flash drive was "Harddisk 1", so it is the external hard drive giving me the trouble. Still unsure as to why it rebooted my computer earlier today, though.

I am going to leave the drive disconnected for a while to see if any of the errors pops up.

John Lai Mar 01, 2009, 10:41pm EST Report Abuse
Hi,

I believe the Microsoft knowledgebase does contain something about external hard disks and the paging operation error. On the other hand, if you don't get any inconsistencies in your hard disks after you experience the paging operation errors (i.e. when you do scan disk nothing has to be fixed), then I would be inclined to believe that there is nothing to be worried about. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.