Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1151 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 03:15am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Julia Petrakis Mar 02, 2009, 11:20am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Brian O. said:
Thanks, though this only happened once (today).

Another odd thing I have a question about: The device seems to be my Maxtor External Hard Drive (E drive) but the Event ID 51, it says "\Device\Harddisk1\D", I thought D was for the drive... What does it stand for?

I have tried to find the answer to that question ever since I joined this forum. No one, including Microsoft seems to have an answer they are willing to share.

I will note, although most people here probably know it, that your primary drive (usually C) is Harddisk0 so that Harddisk1 is usually a secondary or peripheral device. For some reason, as I have noted before, my Lexmark printers are always seen by Windows XP as "removable disks."

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Marika Markle Mar 03, 2009, 12:12pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Re: Power... Of course I've been having problems, or I wouldn't be posting. I read the thread about power and watts. I have a teen who plays World of Warcraft & IMs simultaneously.

The computer is in the same room as the tv, and probably, the same circuit.

TV is on, BSOD

TV off, no crashes.

But I will look into this further.

Maik Maikowski Mar 03, 2009, 02:37pm EST Report Abuse
I believe this should be only Windows XP related bug.
This error ocurred to me again and I had to re-install windows two times. It crashes the file system of disk (partition). Well, in my case. By the way, registry hacks - no effect. For me.
Damn, I hope after few months to buy another whole PC, lol. But some of you said that EVEN THAT DIDN'T help :/ If I hadn't work on audio (I make music), I would long long ago use Linux.

John Lai Mar 03, 2009, 08:03pm EST Report Abuse
Dear Maik,

I hope you are not under the impression that getting a new computer is the only way to resolve your problem. If the costs are not an issue, then that may be an okay solution. Otherwise, all you need to do is find out which component in your computer is causing the problem.

Take a car for example. If the windscreen wipers don't work properly, you wouldn't replace the whole car would you? I would suggest that you firstly find out if its a hardware or software problem. Take out all non-essential items from the computer, and only leave the critical components in i.e. CPU, RAM, power supply, and one hard disk (no expansion cards or other hard disks). Do a clean install of Windows (not quick format), and see if you still experience any problems. If you do, it is likely to be a hardware issue. Then, it just comes down to a process of elimination: replace each component one at a time and see if the problems happen again.

If after a clean install of Windows there is no problem, then restore your computer to its original configuration one component at a time, meanwhile monitoring if any problems occur. When the problem reappears, you will then know it's caused by the last piece of hardware or software that you installed.

I understand that this can be time consuming and you may not have spare components to swap in and out. But this is the only systematic way of troubleshooting the error. You may find that all you need to do is spend AUD$50 to get a new hard disk and your problems are solved.

Thanks

John Lai

Maik Maikowski Mar 04, 2009, 07:59am EST Report Abuse
Well, for me error occurs only when I transfer huge files (movies) at high speeds (5 MB/s). But sometimes even with at low speed (100 KB/s) error occurs. I am going to buyt new PC anyway, I think, because my old one is...well, old :D haha.
I am tired of searchings for solution. This thread is.. 6 years old and counting. Some of us found the "buggy" component, however some even bought a new PC and that didn't help. It's windows...

I am going to make backup last time and try to format the D partition. Maybe that will help, maybe not. By the way, many of you inspecting this error with external HDD's. So I don't want to buy an external too ;)

Marika Markle Mar 04, 2009, 05:57pm EST Report Abuse
Well, I have to eat my words. I had a crash this morning. But it's nothing like it's been. This is a two year old machine, and the hard drive was replaced a year ago. It was replaced because (I thought) the master boot record was corrupted. Prior to that and after that, there were no problems until the kid installed a copy of WOW.

Then it crashed daily, even several times a day from 23 Feb to 2 March. Yesterday it ran fine, with no extra appliances running. Then we turned a light on & it crashed. I thought I was solid. We checked the plugs...anything that might have wiggled loose. It stayed solid UNTIL the kid had been gaming & IM' ing for a few hours. Then it crashed last night & crashed this morning...so it's still crashing, but nowhere as much as it used to.

John Lai Mar 04, 2009, 07:39pm EST Report Abuse
Maik, when you say the error occurs when you transfer large files, does the transfer run to completion (and you get a corrupt file), or does it stop the transfer altogether? Do you only get the errors when transferring large files? I recall you said earlier that you had problems booting windows etc. because of the errors. What you described shouldn't generally affect booting up windows. Anyway, good luck with your new PC. I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but it might be a little unfair to blame it on windows; after all, many of us (including me) use it and don't get the event 51 error. Lastly, if you just get a new computer without finding out the cause of the problem, you run the risk of encountering the same problem again without knowing how to fix it. It could simply be a piece of software you installed, and if you install it again, you may get exactly the same problem reoccuring.

Marika, I hope you realise that the master boot record is something that is written onto the disk, so if it's corrupt you can rebuild it without replacing the physical disk itself. Just a general question: when you say the computer crashes, what happens? Does it freeze, give a "blue screen of death", automatically restart, etc.? When is the event 51 error logged?

Thanks

John Lai

Maik Maikowski Mar 04, 2009, 09:41pm EST Report Abuse
John Lai said:
Maik, when you say the error occurs when you transfer large files, does the transfer run to completion (and you get a corrupt file), or does it stop the transfer altogether? Do you only get the errors when transferring large files? I recall you said earlier that you had problems booting windows etc. because of the errors. What you described shouldn't generally affect booting up windows. Anyway, good luck with your new PC. I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but it might be a little unfair to blame it on windows; after all, many of us (including me) use it and don't get the event 51 error. Lastly, if you just get a new computer without finding out the cause of the problem, you run the risk of encountering the same problem again without knowing how to fix it. It could simply be a piece of software you installed, and if you install it again, you may get exactly the same problem reoccuring.

well, error occures after transfer. Minutes or hours after.
Yes, I blame windows, because even MS don't know where is a problem. But still I use it, as I have said before, I am working with audio. :blush:

And what I am getting corrupt is not that particular file, but usually bookmarks, cookies and something called "corrupt index, entry" I don't really remember now.

No, I said, that after error I had problems to boot windows. It just freeze after POST. The hdd clicks strange..
Then I turn off PC completely (from electricity), and wait few minutes. And then, after turning PC on again after a while, goes....CHKDSK :) (also..usually)

And sometimes even that doesn't help. Sometimes I just need to format C partition (full) and re-install windows. So that's all the story.

I should buy new computer anyway, this one is too old. But I really haven't decided yet.
Well, If error occurs on new PC - I will commit a suicide :bored:

John Lai Mar 04, 2009, 10:15pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Maik,

How big of a file are you transferring? You probably know this already, but I'll say it just in case: are you aware that there is a 4Gb limit on file size for FAT32 partitions (don't confuse this with the partition size limit, which is considerably larger). Is your file system NTFS or FAT32? An NTFS file system allows you to create much larger files.

Thanks

John Lai

Maik Maikowski Mar 05, 2009, 08:44am EST Report Abuse
John Lai said:
Hi Maik,

How big of a file are you transferring? You probably know this already, but I'll say it just in case: are you aware that there is a 4Gb limit on file size for FAT32 partitions (don't confuse this with the partition size limit, which is considerably larger). Is your file system NTFS or FAT32? An NTFS file system allows you to create much larger files.

Thanks

John Lai

Yes, I know that. Mine is NTFS. And usually files are not bigger than 1.37 gb :) the biggest recently was 2.05 gb. It was a movie. When I say transfer, I mean downloading through uTorrent or DC++.
So all I can do, limit speeds. But sometimes even that doesn't help.

Marika Markle Mar 05, 2009, 01:10pm EST Report Abuse
Maik:

I'm late to this conversation, but if this is a software problem, do you do disk cleanup and defrag? Or

Start - Run - %temp%

to further clean out those pesky temp files? I am working on the premise that the temp files are piling up until everything is scattered that the computer crashes. I always notice things start to slow down before a crash, and maybe transferring large files causes a temp file problem. It will at least speed up the machine.

Marika

Maik Maikowski Mar 05, 2009, 04:07pm EST Report Abuse
Marika Markle said:
Maik:

I'm late to this conversation, but if this is a software problem, do you do disk cleanup and defrag? Or

Start - Run - %temp%

to further clean out those pesky temp files? I am working on the premise that the temp files are piling up until everything is scattered that the computer crashes. I always notice things start to slow down before a crash, and maybe transferring large files causes a temp file problem. It will at least speed up the machine.

Marika

I have Ccleaner and I delete all that crap regulary.

Suspended User Mar 05, 2009, 05:00pm EST Report Abuse
Maik Maikowski said:
John Lai said:

well, error occures after transfer. Minutes or hours after.
Yes, I blame windows, because even MS don't know where is a problem. But still I use it, as I have said before, I am working with audio. :blush:

And what I am getting corrupt is not that particular file, but usually bookmarks, cookies and something called "corrupt index, entry" I don't really remember now.

No, I said, that after error I had problems to boot windows. It just freeze after POST. The hdd clicks strange..
Then I turn off PC completely (from electricity), and wait few minutes. And then, after turning PC on again after a while, goes....CHKDSK :) (also..usually)

And sometimes even that doesn't help. Sometimes I just need to format C partition (full) and re-install windows. So that's all the story.

I should buy new computer anyway, this one is too old. But I really haven't decided yet.
Well, If error occurs on new PC - I will commit a suicide :bored:

Your hard drive clicks?....no wonder your system is crashing and running slow, your HDD is stuffed.

Marika Markle Mar 06, 2009, 09:17am EST Report Abuse
Marika, I hope you realise that the master boot record is something that is written onto the disk, so if it's corrupt you can rebuild it without replacing the physical disk itself. Just a general question: when you say the computer crashes, what happens? Does it freeze, give a "blue screen of death", automatically restart, etc.? When is the event 51 error logged?

Thanks

John Lai

Hi, John didn't notice this till just now. Thanks for your help...and the spot quiz! I remember you can fixmbr, but at this minute, my mind is blank as to how you get to the screen. I had a situation where the command just didn't work, and I ended up going to the library & using the computer there to research. I think there was a virus written to the boot program. I still have the drive, and like everyone else, plan to reformat with Linux. ;)

What's going on with ID 51? The computer will slow down & freeze up and go to the BSD.
Last time I checked with event viewer, it was writing ID 51 every second for a minute. Interspersed with that was one reference to the IDE cable.. Do you know if anyone has seen that before? The problem has cut way back since we checked the power connections, but it still happens when the kid is gaming, and I wonder if it's a property of WOW.

John Lai Mar 07, 2009, 05:01am EST Report Abuse
Hi Marika,

I would suggest you try to divide the problem up in two and work out whether it's a software or hardware issue. Can you confirm the following:

No WOW and no IM = no crashes for sure?

Also, if there is an error in the event viewer that refers to an IDE cable, perhaps you could swap in a cable that you know definitely works and see if you still have errors. I assume you have IDE drives and not SATA drives?

Also, if there is a hardware problem, formatting the drive using linux file systems won't help at all.

Thanks

John Lai

Shion Tanaka Mar 08, 2009, 11:41am EDT Report Abuse
Hi, I want to contribute with my experience.
As I wrote in some posts ago, I've been trying changing mainboards, cables, PSU's etc.

What solved the problem forever with my internal WD Sata II 160 GB, which also used to click before everything freezed tipically while transferring large files,
was putting the jumper on the pins behind to change the mode in Sata I.
In Sata I mode I've never had a problem anymore since years !

I'm 100% sure that there has been a Sata 2 hardware generation somehow bad implemented.
For example the controllers could not have been fast enough to keep on the interface speed or the NCQ function.
But I've never found an evidence of that searching the net... maybe a big scandal ?
Anyway since I've bought others Western Digital one year later, they don't have such a problem and that confirms it was not my mainboard controller for sure.

Maik Maikowski Mar 08, 2009, 01:00pm EDT Report Abuse
Shion Tanaka said:
Hi, I want to contribute with my experience.
As I wrote in some posts ago, I've been trying changing mainboards, cables, PSU's etc.

What solved the problem forever with my internal WD Sata II 160 GB, which also used to click before everything freezed tipically while transferring large files,
was putting the jumper on the pins behind to change the mode in Sata I.
In Sata I mode I've never had a problem anymore since years !

I'm 100% sure that there has been a Sata 2 hardware generation somehow bad implemented.
For example the controllers could not have been fast enough to keep on the interface speed or the NCQ function.
But I've never found an evidence of that searching the net... maybe a big scandal ?
Anyway since I've bought others Western Digital one year later, they don't have such a problem and that confirms it was not my mainboard controller for sure.

Now THAT'S new :D

Please, can you explain how to do that ? Because my HDD also uses SATA II.

At least, it shows it in BIOS.

Thanks in advance !

P.S.

My motherboard is MSI MS-7260 K9N nForce 550 Chipset,
HDD is SAMSUNG HD160JJ.

Shion Tanaka Mar 11, 2009, 03:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, in Western Digital you just put a jumper on 2 pin as the scheme shows on the chassis.
For other HDD's there was a DOS program from Hitachi or Maxtor (I'm not sure anymore) where you can, along with other tweaks, change the Sata mode.
I'd try the Samsung utility first in your case. :)

Maik Maikowski Mar 11, 2009, 04:56pm EDT Report Abuse
thanks, I will try it :)

Anonymous User Mar 20, 2009, 06:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, I had so much trouble with this on a company PC. The only temporary way I could solve it was disabling the DVD burner which then allowed the system to boot (I was starting to get system crashes). Eventually I rolled back the XP updates by re-installing Win XP SP2 and then have not added any more updates since and everything seems to work fine now. It started as I remember when the machine was upgraded a while ago - myabe something to do with Media Player or IE7, or one of the various later updates that were installed. Hard disk: Seagate Barracuda 300GB (there is nothing wrong with the disk). Conclusion, something in Windows caused this, not hardware.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.