Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 343 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 18 - 07:04am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

PC CHIPS M810L Mobo - BIOS Update Failure 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Walter Cintron Apr 06, 2010, 07:23pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: PC CHIPS M810L Mobo - BIOS Update Failure
Erik rombouts said:
Martin,

Srry for the late Reply.

You asked me which version of Motherboard.
The only thing which looks like a version nr says ' ver 3.0' to me,
but I can't seem to find the bios according to it.

5.2 : yes, 7.1 : yes but 3.0 ???

Hello, I also beleive that the BIOS upgrade is not cracked to be a better upgrade, even though I am not having visible problems after upgrading, there are small issues.
I have a PC Chips M810L version 7.1a which I upgraded the BIOSjust to add a faster processor, I installed an AMD XP2600 processor but the best that I can get out of it is 1600 mhz, this is a disapointment.
back to the BIOS, I changed it prior to changing the processor for the following reason, initial BIOS reported 4 memory slots, of course this is not true. I changed to the newer bios but now it reports 3 memory slots, still this is not true,who knows what else could be wrong that it is not seeing.
On the positive side, I bought this board early in 2002 and installed it on my old case, for the last 8 years it has run OK considering that the Windows and Secondary Programs demand more resources from the unit, this is the reason for slower responce.
As the saying goes, If it is not broken, don't fix it.
This computer has 2x 120 gig harddrives by maxter, 2 DVD/R/RW which have been on there for 5 years. Memory is to the MAX 2x512=1024.
The only thing that I don't like is that the BIOS Chip is soldered (NOT GOOD)
Here is my question to anybody out there that can help: Can I get this board to read correctly and can PC CHIPS get on board to correct the false identification shown.on this board even with the initial BIOS

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Walter Cintron Jan 25, 2012, 08:16pm EST Report Abuse
Simon Lewis said:
I have a PC Chips 810 motherboard with 2 X 256 MB Ram.

I took this out and put in 1 X 512 MB Ram. Guess what. It doesn't work. Putting the 2 X 256 back in solved the problem. Any ideas what to do. This motherboard is crap isn't it!

Si

Hello fellow PC Chips Motherboard Users.
I can't complaint because I have had this M810L for the past 11 years, I have updated the BIOS 2 times using the PC Chips download Which is more or less AMI Flash Tool.
On the last BIOS update I used ESupport, The BIOS Loaded OK but now I can't upgradeto anything else, Tried Using AWD Flash Loader(s) and AMI.
The reason that I did this was to get an up to date BIOS, come to find out that there has not been any updates from PC Chips, the last was 03/08/08, ESupport was 10/07 but shows a July 2007 date (what do you think)
Long story short my XP2600/266 runs at a max of 125/125/31, instead of getting 2.16 I am getting 2.0. So I was looking to set Voltage, Multipliers and Dram not able to with the current BIOS but was able to with the last.
No big deal because the unit still works for an 11 year old computer it is OK by todays standards.

Walter Cintron Jan 25, 2012, 08:33pm EST Report Abuse
Hello Again
Like I said, you have to watch which revision is your motherboard, you will have to take the cover off and look at the BIOS Chip
I have a PC Chips M810L (r7.0a)
In regards to memory, I do have 2 sticks of 512 each which is the max for this board but be aware and this might just be on my board but it reports 4 memory slots when there is only 2, Also note, not all SDRAM 168 pin dimm are not all the same.
In regards to the processor issue, I also installed an AMD XP2600/266 and it registers 2600 with 2000mb, keep in mind for what I just read above, someone claims that they only get 1.6, this could possibly be 1 of 2 things, the processor itself is an AMD XP2600/333 which will register on your screen as 1.56 as the max.
On the otherside which is simple enough to change, you could be on the default setting in the bios, you might be able to change the voltage and multiplier or if you got stages in your frequency, you can probably set it at 125/125/31 or max it if it accepts it to 133/133/33 which is the maximum safe setting, If Windows will not boot drop the BIOS settong down on the frequency.Each board has it's own caristaristics

Walter Cintron Jan 25, 2012, 08:49pm EST Report Abuse
Be careful, you have reported that the BIOS is 3.0 and not 7.1
PC Chips which is the same board as ECS (Elitegroup) have their own versions but use the same BIOS
Example: PC Chips M810L (revision 7.0a and 7.1)
Elitegroup K7SEM (revision 3.0)
even though they are the same board and the same bios but the string is differnt and it should not load, the word is should not.
My previous computer was trashed by a bad bios send from ESupport, nice when you can sell something but not have reprocaution or even liabilities.
The chips claim to write in your old bios and than install the new one, except that the new 1 claimed completed, reboot after removing disk.
I have bought 11 more BIOS from them and 10 functioned well but the last did not.

Walter Cintron Jan 25, 2012, 09:02pm EST Report Abuse
I don't think that this is a BIOS problem but rather that the board onboard is 1.1 for the USB. Try adding a USB 2.0 the bios will accept that PC Card, this is needed for more speed. if you can handle the 3.0 do so but that is slim on this board. The video is also a problem because it claims that you have 4.0 capability but in reality is only 2.0.
Also make sure that you have the USB support ON.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.