Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 628 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 06:35pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
bob ross Mar 18, 2004, 11:05pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just came across this problem when setting up Windows XP 64-bit. I solved this problem by removing every stick of ram except 1. The system went past the "Setup is starting windows" screen without a hitch.

Turning off the APIC function solution will not work on 64-bit systems.

Good luck everyone.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Lisa Wilson Mar 22, 2004, 09:10pm EST Report Abuse
double post

Lisa Wilson Mar 22, 2004, 09:10pm EST Report Abuse
Same problem.
Installs perfect on my Intel 350MHz, freezes on my Chaintech 1GHz.

I've spent several full days on this since I purchased XP Pro.
Guess I'll spend another today and post my results if I finally get it.

The fact that people are listing so many different solutions makes me wonder if it IS an issue of corrupted files on the cd.
With one computer configuration, the setup program may be trying to access a particular corrupted file and therefore freezes... but when you change your configuration (change a piece of hardware or a setting or something), setup may no longer need to access that particular corrupted file and the process therefore continues.

Also,
If it is an issue of a file reading problem, the file may not be corrupted ...it could just be a file that your particular cd drive has trouble reading and you may just need to try a different drive (as suggested above).

dug conn Mar 23, 2004, 10:43am EST Report Abuse
hey I keep bouncing around these pages looking for my fix and I thought I was the only one with xp installing problems
I initially gave up on xp pro when 1st bought it and used old w2k which went in no trouble
since replaced cpu (bought xp2600+ but 1st one was xp1800+ 2nd one is now xp2700+ (from xp2000+)) but the installation only worked with xp2400+ (166 x default) aint it confusing....
I tried to install new with w2k running the show - all when according to plan until the reboot up then w2k wouldnt load - sh...t was a nice word - none of my recovery disks worked - even more sh... - so I just gave xp pro one more chance and it loaded - still no w2k but xp pro seems to be ok most of time
I suppose this doesnt help anyone but you are not alone with variations on a theme
dug

Lisa Wilson Mar 23, 2004, 06:34pm EST Report Abuse
Well I spent another day on it.

Turns out that removing my video card allowed the setup process to continue.
(I removed it and put an old pci card in instead)

Keep in mind that just because removing the video card removed the problem, doesn't necessarily mean that the card was the cause of the problem.

The card was a ELSA Gladiac MX AGP card

After the setup process is complete, I'll reinstall the ELSA card to see if XP has any problems with it.

I should add that, in the past, I had tried removing every card and accessory attched to my computer when trying to get the XP setup to continue.
Every card and accesory but my video card that is.
I figured it wasn't likely to be the problem and I didn't feel like digging out my old video card to test it.

So... be sure to remove everything.
Once you get setup to continue (if you do), shut down and add one card or accessory then try again.
Continue adding things back to the system, one at a time, until you get XP setup to freeze again.

Tom Nguyen Mar 29, 2004, 12:42am EST Report Abuse
LoL...

this is really ridiculous. I have the SOYO SY-K7V DRAGON board with the 1 gig amd athlon, and it's stuck at the setup is starting windows as well. I've tried all of your techniques (you guys had the best suggestions that i've found) and reasearched it quite a bit. Still nothing. Has anyone found any solutions yet?
Please help

Larry Beck Mar 29, 2004, 06:51pm EST Report Abuse
Man, if you lived close enough I'd buy you lunch! Heck, I'd buy you a new car!! You don't know how long I've struggled with this issue. I've built a dozen or more PCs and never had this problem, and they are all the same MOBO (nForce1) and specs. Why this one died a horrible death I don't know, but the F5 trick worked! You are the man!!

Tom Nguyen Mar 30, 2004, 01:38am EST Report Abuse
Man...LoL.. That is some funny stuff. I've actually got farther than that which includes the F5 trick as well. Mainly I think my updating the BIOS might have had something to do with it as well. But.....Now I'm stuck with my PC restarting on me when there's only 16 - 13 minutes remaining. At times, it actually shut my computer down completely. Man if anyone has any ideas, that'd be cool. I don't think i'll be going AMD for a while. A long while.

Kamil Zielinski Apr 01, 2004, 12:18am EST Report Abuse
i had the same exact problem on both pc's that i had.
First one was the BIOS updating should do it.
Second one was Ram, try diffrent Ram.

AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton at 1.8gigz
ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard
128ddr 2100 Ram
ATI Radeon 9000pro 128ddr
IBM 75gig HD
Maxtor 20gig HD
400watt PSU

Larry Beck Apr 01, 2004, 12:40am EST Report Abuse
Updating the BIOS had no effect on the machine I was working on. After using the F5 trick, the machine wouldn't shut off when I told it to, it just went to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" window. Found an article in the MS KB on how to resolve that issue, but it didn't work. If I chose ACPI in the APM window of Power Management control panel, it would act like it shut down, but then just reboot. No check mark would bring it to the "it is now safe..." window. Never could resolve it, just told the client that it's a "quirk" and to live with it. They didn't complain, thank goodness!

I'm going to be building the exact same computer on Monday with all new parts. Wanna bet XP installs just fine?

I'm now believing it's some sort of weird MOBO/processor conflict, or dare I say, bug?

Tom Nguyen Apr 01, 2004, 12:49am EST Report Abuse
Larry-
Are you using the AMD processor? Cause I'm starting to think that AMD is pretty crappy.

Larry Beck Apr 01, 2004, 09:46am EST Report Abuse
Yes, they are nForce1 boards, made by ASUS, with a 1.53 ghz chip from AMD. I've built a dozen computers with this board and chip and no troubles at all. It's a great low cost solution for office's who don't need a lot of gaming horsepower, and saves me from having to buy and install separate video, sound, and NIC. I've got those same parts being shipped to me as we speak, and I'm pretty sure I won't have any troubles. But I do think it is the MOBO/procosser that is the culprit of the "setup is starting Windows" glitch. Something is missing that causes Windows setup to not be able to recognize what kind of computer it is. That's why the F5 trick works.

Dave McLain Apr 08, 2004, 07:32pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" goes to blue screen
I've been fighting this problem on a computer for several nights. I've tried changing the memory, hard drive, CD rom drive, bios update etc with no luck. The system boots and runs Win ME just fine, this machine is built using an ASUS A7V8X-X board and an AMD AthlonXP 1600+ processor. I'm going to give the F5 solution a try this evening and see how that works.

Thanks.

Larry Beck Apr 08, 2004, 09:12pm EDT Report Abuse
Parts received, computer built to order, and...drumroll please...no troubles whatsoever. It is something to do with the ACPI, in that the XP installer won't recognize that the MOBO/Processor is ACPI compliant. Hm, a bug in the XP installer? A bug in Microsoft software? Not possible :)

But if there is a bug in the XP installer, then why has it worked just fine on all but one of the computers I've built with the exact same MOBO/Processor? Good question, maybe there is something not quite right with the MOBO/Processor. ASUS nForce1 MOBO, AMD XP 1.53 ghz processor. Only one out of at least 12-15 machines I've built exhibited this issue.

Dave McLain Apr 08, 2004, 11:10pm EDT Report Abuse
My problem computer is also built with an Azus mother board, but it's a totally differnet model to the one you're having trouble with. I'm going to try the F5 fix on my next attempt.

steve grabosky Apr 09, 2004, 11:03am EDT Report Abuse
double post, sorry

steve grabosky Apr 09, 2004, 11:07am EDT Report Abuse
This may help you guys, or not...this is a very screwed up problem
I unpluged all my USB devices.
Went into the BIOS settings and disabled CPU lvl1 and lvl2 caching, and it actually got past the stupid "Setup is starting Windows" text in about 5 minutes.
I didnt use the f5 trick while doing this.

hope that helps
PS. Did I mention i had my fingers crossed?

Also
I tried installing win xp pro on this machine:
Soyo SY-TISU
pentium 3 1ghz
geforce 4 mx 440
2 stick of 256mb PC133 ram

and it worked fine except I always had memory problems, but thats beside the point.

Current setup:
Nforce2 ASUS A7n8x 400mhzFSB motherboard
Athlon XP 2800 +barton proc
geforce 4 mx 440
maxtor 40gig HD
1 stick of 512mb DDR333 SDRAM

Craig Batt Jun 03, 2004, 03:28am EDT Report Abuse
Hey everyone,

This might be a little long winded, but this is a great place to vent, give my experience, and thank all of you for your experience that has saved a few hundred dollars worth of equipment from being smashed against the wall :)

Like everyone here, I had the exact same issue. As all of us are tech-savy (Good bet), this kinda stuff gives some of us problem solving drive, and p**ses some of us off to high holy heaven.

Just bought an Asrock k7s8xe+ and an AMD 2600+ Barton (low budget, but loads faster than the ASUS PB3F and Intel PIII-500 that I've been using at home for years, and since I'm on a budget, I wanted to give AMD a shot being that I've been an Intel boy most of my tech life). Well, its been nothing but a pain in the a**.

1) Was recongizing the floppy in the BIOS, but wouldn't read the drive-- Solution: Replaced the provided interface cable with one from a very, very old system and I finally got it to Query the drive, but it wouldn't load the OS

2) Since it wouldn't load the OS, I checked forums galore and based on what I was reading, bought a new memory stick (another $100), thinking that I had a bad RAM chip, and then there was DOS (WOW!!!)

3) Couldn't get W2K Pro or Linux Red Hat 9 to get past setup. Tried every bios setting combination. No go! So I turned off everything in the bios that I didn't need (RAID, USB2.0, etc). Still nothing.

4) Was ready to send back the MOBO and spend the extra cash on a brand I was sure has better support, but decided to Search google for more "enjoyable" hours upon hours trying different combinations of words and finally found this place.

Well since I've dragged on, here's the poop. Got W2K to setup. Was finally able to get past the dreaded "Setup is starting Windows" screen. =====Solution: Disabled ACPI, F5 (Standard PC).====== Many thanks to everyone here for their posts.

Seems like hardware compatiblity is getting more tricky all the time. From most of my browsing, it appears that people are having huge problems with AMD and the newer motherboards/bios', and the OS's are having a tough time recognizing and making the correct interfaces. In my case, I guess you get what you pay for. Should have stayed with Intel processors and boards (products I know that work well). Now for the Linux install.......

Regards to all and thanks again.

Larry Beck Jun 03, 2004, 10:19am EDT Report Abuse
You know, I just had this ugly thought...

Microsoft and Intell have been 'in the same bed" for years. You don't suppose?

Nah, they would never do that, would they?

Hm...

Larry

Steve Sirois Jun 03, 2004, 02:54pm EDT Report Abuse
I wouldn't be too quick to blame AMD. I originally posted in this thread back in December of last year because I had two identical ASUS P4 socket 478 mobos (with video on board...hmm) that would not load Windows XP Pro with an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz processor. I eventually had to give up since I was building this machine for a friend, so I bought an Intel mobo (with on board VGA) & everything loaded & worked without a glitch. So, I still have the two ASUS mobos sitting on my shelf waiting for some CPUs. In my case, I don't think the mobos' BIOS's were updated enough to work with the 2.4GHz Celeron. I'm thinking if I stick in some 2GHz CPUs then I might find success with these boards.

So, the moral of the story is that this problem SUCKS to troubleshoot since there could be many different causes of the problem.

Steve

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.