Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 715 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 07:11pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Larry Beck Jun 03, 2004, 06:50pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen
I'm not blaming AMD, I'm sort of accusing Microsoft of "fixing" their software to work the best on Intel processors. Notice that no one in this thread has had this issue with an Intel board. Or have they?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Craig Batt Jun 06, 2004, 01:52am EDT Report Abuse
Has anyone tried to install via any of the latest Windows Distributions with a Service Pack included? Just wondering if Microsoft has possibly updated the setup to recognize the newer Chipsets as well as the AMD processors a bit better. The only version of Windows 2000 I have is pre-service pack.

As far a Microsoft being sleeping budies with Intel, I wouldn't just yet make that assumption, but since I've not had any problems installing on an Intel platform, EVER, I wouldn't rule it out either.

N. Palmer Jun 20, 2004, 07:07pm EDT Report Abuse
YES! After hours (like most of you) of trying several different solutions, including buying a new HD, the F5/APCI disabled trick finally worked for me on my A7N8X Deluxe w/ Athlon XP 2700+ (Thoroughbred). This issue is obviously an NForce related problem, but the F5 trick seems to work well. Thank you all!

Jeff Green Jun 24, 2004, 11:07pm EDT Report Abuse
I just had this problem on a brand new Pentium4 Toshiba laptop. My problem was the BIOS had VERY limited configuration options. I ended up trying the odd options under F5 and mine worked.

Larry Beck Jun 25, 2004, 12:19am EDT Report Abuse
Here's a new one that I've ran across twice now:

Clean install of XP, about 2/3 of the way through the install I get a COM error, but the install proceeds. Everything looks OK until the last reboot and then I get the LSA Shell Export error, which according to Microsoft is the Sasser virus. Right, after deleting the partition, formatting the HD and laying down a clean install of XP, I've been infected with Sasser. After geting the above error, I then get the infamous 60 second countdown, which again is supposedly due to Sasser. Unless I got infected when connecting with Microsoft during product activiation, I don't believe there is any way it could be a virus.

I did learn something from talking with Microsoft tech support. If I boot into Safe mode without networking, no errors, and no 60 second countdown. Safe mode with networking gives me the error and the 60 second countdown. So it appears to be some sort of corrupted network driver, but again, how with a clean install?

Tom Nguyen Jun 29, 2004, 05:34am EDT Report Abuse
possible updated drivers? what communication cards do you have, and what brand.

BW from Dallas Jul 12, 2004, 04:49pm EDT Report Abuse
I experienced the same problem and after trying everything (I mean everything) mentioned in the above posts I finally called AMD and discovered that I had a jumper set "incorrectly". My Athlon XP 2600 (Barton) was running at 200 mhz instead of 166mhz. My motherboard is an ECS KT600-A (purchased at Fry's as a combo Special). The mobo uses a jumper setting instead of BIOS setting to adjust this. The board supposedly supports over-clocking but WinXP pro sure didn't like it for an install.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, the root cause(s) of this particular install problem can be numerous and misleading. My stop errors were all pointing to memory problems or caching problems. It wasn't any of that just a stupid jumper setting.

Thanks for all the posts, perhaps this will help someone else.

Bo Lechnowsky Aug 19, 2004, 01:36am EDT Report Abuse
I'm installing Win XP Home on an MSI motherboard with integrated everything and a P4 2.8GHz processor. So the problem is not limited to AMD processors and motherboards. In fact, I have built numerous AMD systems and haven't had this type of problem. I've had bunches of cheap MOBO's die on me after a few weeks/months, but never this problem. The F5 trick didn't work, so I'm going to try turning of ACPI in the BIOS and try again.

Good luck!

Bo Lechnowsky Aug 19, 2004, 01:47am EDT Report Abuse
After I posted the above, I turned around to the PC I was working on and it had a blue-screen STOP error suggesting there was a problem with the hard drive.

OK, so I jumpered the hard drive so it was a master, disabled the ACPI in the BIOS and did the F5 trick during XP initialization selecting the "486" option. It worked!

XP setup is now formatting the hard drive with NTFS and I assume the rest of the installation will go without a hitch! At least, I'm saying a prayer that it will.

Good luck with your attempts!

Thomas Burke Jan 11, 2005, 09:29pm EST Report Abuse
I know this thread hasn't been posted to in a long time, but it was real helpful to me and i found some more information which explains and resolves most of the problems encountered in this thread...

to start off, the problem is that during set-up, windows wants to identify your type of computer and for WHATEVER reason it can't (most likely a hardware inconsistency it can't resolve, but that's not important). So it just sits there and hangs during the "Setup is starting Windows" screen.

When booting from the CD and "Press F6 to install raid controller drivers" comes to the bottom of the screen, pressing F5 instead is Crucial because that's how to FORCE windows to accept what type of computer you have. Unfortunately, people in this thread have been using F5 and coming up with only two choices, Standard PC and Other. Since "Other" doesn't work, they've been loading "Standard PC" and have been able to get past the hang state and install Windows. The trade-off is no "Stand By" option and the archaic "You may now turn off your computer" Screen. This is because Windows now thinks that your operating an older generation computer, a "standard PC", one not capable of Advanced Power Management.

If you go into Control Panel--System--Hardware--Device Manager and check what's listed under "computer" you should see "Standard PC". This makes sense because this is what you chose in the F5 screen back in set-up. But if you want your computer to shut-down properly and be able to go into "stand by" mode, it needs to read "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC".

The solution is simple but escaped everyone for a simple reason too...back in the F5 screen, "Standard PC" and "Other" aren't the only choices. If you use the "Up Arrow" key you'll find you have lots more choices!!!Windows, being completely illogical, put you at the bottom of the list of choices instead of the top. Any normal human being would come to the conclusion, after not becing able to scroll down anymore, that there were only two choices. But if you think in terms of "the opposite of common sense" (i.e. windows) you'll realize the choices are up, not down. And one of the choices is "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". Choose it and you'll not only be able to load Windows, but you'll also be able to turn-off your computer without it telling you "it's OK to turn me off now".

One note...because the problem lies in hardware issues, while loading windows it might ask for files that aren't on the windows disk, for instance mine kept asking for "nVidea" drivers...you can try loading your different device CD's during set-up, but i just kept hitting "cancel" and resolved all incomplete drivers after windows was fully set-up - just go into device manager and you'll see exclamation marks by hardware that was not properly set-up. You can use your CD's and whatnot that came with those devices to properly set them up now. Good luck!

KROLL KRASSOM Oct 07, 2005, 03:03pm EDT Report Abuse
first of all i registered to thank this thread for the help it has been.

the problem with windows not properly recognizing the hardware is known. but i and some others in this thread tried acpi options with f5. didnt work for me. i have a msi k7delta whatever nforce2 socket a board with sempron 2400+ 166fsb. what did work, was setting fsb to 133. unbelievable. afterwards setting it back to 166 didnt cause any problems. im so in rage right now because of this stupi dsetup f**kup, but i dont know who to blame. no need to say my day was ruined (switching ram and gfx, scanning hdd but now the hardware works? wtf?).

greets and have fun.

KROLL KRASSOM Oct 07, 2005, 04:12pm EDT Report Abuse
great. it hangs ocasionally. especially when i try to install sp2. svchost goes up to 99% cputime and then to 0 and then it hangs.

im checking ram with memtest so far nothing. maybe the cpu is broken, somehow.

the rage grows. i dont mean anger. i mean rage.

Rich Man Oct 22, 2005, 12:51pm EDT Report Abuse
I signed up just to post about this problem. I fought this for over a day and then I read all the posts here, trying each of them. What worked for me was removing my GeForce 4200 AGP and installing my old Hercules Prophet 4500 AGP. My system is an old Iwill KK-266 mobo with an AMD T-Bird 1.33.

I tried different memory, different hard drives, different CD drives, different IDE cables, all sorts of BIOS settings, different XP CDs.

Hope this helps someone having this trouble.

Shaun Colgan Oct 23, 2005, 03:11pm EDT Report Abuse

Wveimar Lopez Feb 13, 2006, 07:35am EST Report Abuse
Hi:

The explanation given by Thomas is really interesting. Unfortunately that solution doesn't work for me. I bought a Toshiba Satellite M70-165 laptop. It has windows xp home, but i want to install it xp professional. At "setup is starting windows" screen the installation hangs, and i cannot continue. I have been read several forums and technical articles from microsoft, but i haven't found the solution. Can anyone give me a light about this.

Thanks

Duy Pham Dinh Feb 27, 2006, 02:31pm EST Report Abuse
Hi everyone,
I had got the same problem , i tried what you said , but it did not work for me . Finally i remembered that i was configuring the CPU Speed to User Define ... So I tried to set the CPU speed to the default settings . It worked so well .
I hope this can help someone
Duu

marc maz Mar 30, 2006, 04:02am EST Report Abuse
I have a toshiba m55 with the same problem. Once I install my wind xp pro Cd, it hangs at setup is starting windows

However, for toshiba users and possibly other users, What I did, was I tried a copy of win xp home which produced no luck. Win Xp pro produced no luck. However win xp corp ,,,,allowed me to get passed this screen!!!! Im not sure if you can get access to windows xp corporate edition, but it worked for me. Secondly I have a program called Wipedisk., I think you can get that program online, but I purchased it. This Also did the trick

dave crazy Mar 31, 2006, 10:05am EST Report Abuse
you would think this issue would be resolved by now. Im having this with AMD64 3000+ on MSI K8N Neo4-FI just purchased.
been a good 15 hours on this fricking issue, what should take only a few mins... Ive had additional complications of trying to install on to a SATA drive, which standard windows xp does not have. MS reckons this probelm can be caused by impropper storage drivers (see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310760) so spent a couple of hours messing around with differennt combinations of drivers, IDE and SATA drives, even tried installing it on my working machiene (which has a nearly identical HW config, just the SLI version of the board and a bit older...) which installed fine onto the SATA drive, but putting the drive back in the buggered machiene still gave no joy as it hung everytime i tried to start windows. put the drive back in the working machiene and it would boot fine.
Finally disabled the APCI option, (was hiding in the bios as IOAPCI or something like that, i forget now as its 2am) and xp is now happily installing, only problem is its onto an IDE drive, will have to try my luck again with the SATA drive...
the MS article mentioned pressing F5 to install a spesfic Hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and tried a few things in there, including the APCI pc and standard pc etc, but had no effect.
Other no effect things were messing around with ram configs, disabling everything in the bios, swearing, etc
good luck to you poor buggers trying to solve this problem. know exactly wht you are going through!

as i finish typing this winxp setup has completed. bout fricking time...

chadd kawata Jul 14, 2006, 04:20am EDT Report Abuse
Hello All. Like you all, I had the same computer hang message "Setup is starting Windows," while booting from an Original CD version of Windows XP Pro. I too tried all the solutions listed above (F5 and ACPI options), with no luck. Instead of studying for a Spanish test this morning, I decided to fix my D@MN computer and I got lucky!! I unplugged all of the peripherals of my computer except a PS2 keyboard and Eizo LCD monitor. Personally for me, the solution to my problem was solved after unplugging the IDE cable of my DVD-rom. Immediately, after turning on my computer everything ran faster and I was able to get past that freaking message. So maybe that might help or not, but from my less than savy view point of what has been posted, there seems to be some consensus of numerous people are experiencing a hardware failure of somesort. My suggestion as read earlier:"simplify your computer."

Best Wishes.
ck

p.s. I encountered this problem on my HP Pavilion 762c

HP Pavilion 762c
Intel P4 2.26ghz
512mb DDR-SDRAM
120gb HD
64mb NVIDIA GeForce4
Lite-Brite CDR (replaced in 2005)
DVD-rom (Broken piece of garbage) - causing me H#ll

Wveimar Lopez Jul 14, 2006, 10:27am EDT Report Abuse
Hi again:

The solution that works for me, was to install a fresh copy of windows xp prof sp2. This version includes the drivers for sata disks, which is the case of the toshiba satellite m70-165.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.