Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 610 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s June 26 - 04:32am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Call of Duty problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, Next >>
Alex D Dec 17, 2003, 09:13pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Call of Duty problems
thanks for the news todd. i've been waiting for ati to release another driver because their 3.9 sux.

Hello Moto? Can you hear me now?

All Games Playable on My Wonderful Machine:
DFI NB70-SC Motherboard
P4 2.13Ghz(overclocked from 1.6AGhz)
512MB Infineon DDR PC2700 333MHZ
ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB AGP overclocked@533/330MHZ
AC'97 Onboard Soundcard
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Castillo Dec 18, 2003, 12:39am EST Report Abuse
Hey all--
Still the same problems even after the Cat 3.10 driver but seems to be getting better. This is obviously a driver problem thats slowly being dealt with--NOT BIOS CONFLICTS. I don't get this problem with any other games on my Xtasy 9800 Pro 256mb.

Alex D Dec 18, 2003, 12:51am EST Report Abuse
the new catalyst 3.10 brought back my AGP Texture from dxdiag which is really kewl. I've been trying to figure out how to bring it back from the "not available" problem. ATI is doing a good job.

DFI NB70-SC Motherboard
AC'97 Onboard Soundcard
Omniscient Dec 18, 2003, 01:32am EST Report Abuse
This is for All of you that still seem to be having this problem with Call of Duty and crashing.

ATI Released a Call of Duty Hot-Fix quite a while back, granted it wasn't widely distributed,

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-cod-7-96-012624e.exe

that there ladies is the link. If you run the installer and follow ATI's instructions it works fine. It's a normal 22MB driver download.

If you have Catalyst 3.10 you should not be having the CoD crash. If you still are, a good idea is to uninstall the 3.10 drivers, restart the machine. Install the drivers above, restart the machine, uninstall the drivers above, restart the machine. Install Catalyst 3.10 drivers and, wait for it... restart the machine.

3v1l L33t

Kash Dec 18, 2003, 04:13pm EST Report Abuse
Ok, all of you guys are like "3.10" this and "Catalyst 3.10 r0x0rz" that and "Man, I love it when a walrus does a belly flop"... I don't understand the way the driver names are set up.. Is 3.10 new, or is it foge-ishly old? I've heard of "3.7" and "3.8"... so is this driver, essentially, 3.1, or is ATi retarded in the way they think and name drivers? Kind of like nVidia's goofy ass way... "42.45," "38.67," "numeric symbol for pi." And if it really is supposed to be 3.10, then shouldn't it really be, like... 4.0? That's how decimals work, but obviously ATi doesn't understand, because sure, their drivers and cards might work great on Half-Life 2..... but oh wait, that doesn't come out UNTIL APRIL! They should worry about what they have in their laps now, not what the game world will throw at them in 6 months... That was the whole point of buying a Radeon 9600P: cheap, fast, and ATi is supposedly the best for HL2 (drooooool.... zombies throwing barrels and such). If I would have known that there was going to be such a deal over CoD, I would've said "f-it" and gotten myself an nVidia. With the Betas of it and such, nVidia would've had a chance to fix their drivers.... screw ATi... Wait, I was just ranting and flaming.... My bad, go about your business.

Sincerely,
Lord Coldfire, king of the Bahoobanation Station

Sincerely,
Kash

AMD AM2 3600+ Brisbane (65nm), DFI Infinity UltraII-M2, 1GB Wintec AMPO DDR2-800 @ 667, Sapphire X1950 Pro, 250GB WD SATA II, 500W Coolmax PSU, Logitech MX500, Gateway PS/2 keyboard (circa 1999)
Fred Flintstone Dec 18, 2003, 08:47pm EST Report Abuse
ATI names the drivers 3.7, 3.8, etc. I sure there's a reason for it. I have a funny feeling when the do the new revision you will see a 4.0 driver. Who knows. Anyways, installed the new drivers. Haven't noticed any glitches yet. Played single player and multiplayer online. So far everythings cool. Hopefully Activision, ATI and nVidia will get all the video issues worked out cause COD is a hell of a game. See you on the battlefield.

P.S. If you run across Slackerjack on a COD server, say "What's up!" Late.

James Prescott Dec 19, 2003, 10:15am EST Report Abuse

Well you all seem to be getting great results from the new 3.10 drivers but i hope im not the only 1 here but it still crashes, i did solve the problem with 3.9 and completed the game but witht the new drivers installed it crashes straight away.

Can anyone here tell me the settings they got on in the ati contol pannel (fast write on/off, best quality/performance etc)

for now ill roll back to 3.9

HELP PLZ

jana joe Dec 19, 2003, 11:50pm EST Report Abuse

James Prescott Dec 20, 2003, 08:51am EST Report Abuse
i think Ati are getting worse, ive decided to go out and buy a fx5900 ultra due to a few friends having no problems with nvidias fx cards, except my brother had the freezing problem on his fx5200 256ddr but that was solved through trial and error.

Frank Amodeo Dec 20, 2003, 12:34pm EST Report Abuse
Believe it or not, it was as simple as shutting down all programs running in the background. Now I have NO lock-ups. I played the game all day with no problems. I have all my options on high and still the game runs flawless. I used my little utility program "End It All" to close programs. I have read a lot of replys and no one has suggessed this. Hmmmm.

jana joe Dec 20, 2003, 04:51pm EST Report Abuse
game problems with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT? c'mon...this is suppose to be the best of the best. im even gettin issues with Halo...really bad frame rates...very choppy. Unreal Tournament 2003 works wonderfully on this card...but not Call of Duty or Halo.

Daniel Yazbeck Dec 20, 2003, 06:10pm EST Report Abuse
Well Halo and CoD are Direct X9 games while Unreal Tournament is not, so thats obviously why their is such a performance difference *even though Direct X9 is supposed to increase performance and quality lol*

Give it time and ATI or the games makers themselves will fix these problems, otherwise they could stand to lose ALOT of sales.

jana joe Dec 20, 2003, 06:34pm EST Report Abuse
I agree with you...I still have faith in ATI...its just a matter of time. But like u said...they could lose potential customers if issues like these arent addressed quickly. So I guess this is a matter mostly of the drivers/games than the actual card itself?

jana joe Dec 20, 2003, 08:30pm EST Report Abuse
Hmm....I'm starting to think that its actually the game itself thats causing these problems. Whenever my system crashes...it says that the game has encountered an error and needs to be closed. The VPU Recover function doesnt even appear! Windows just shuts down the game and then I have to restart cuz my deskptop is all messed up...i.e. black screem with the taskbar ath the bottom!

Anyways...Dell said that they would be sending me a replacement 9800 XT soon!

Alex D Dec 20, 2003, 08:52pm EST Report Abuse
i dont think the game has anything to with the crash. it's definitely the way how your pc is built. look at my machine for instance it can play call of duty, halo, need for speed without crashing. i built it myself. what i can point out to you is that it's either your bios setting, jumper settings, power supply, ram, and pc temp. i have an ATI Radeon 9600XT. when you play any games the temperature would jump, for instance, from 40C to 50C.

DFI NB70-SC Motherboard
AC'97 Onboard Soundcard
Alex D Dec 20, 2003, 08:54pm EST Report Abuse
motherboard is also the backbone of all the problem.

DFI NB70-SC Motherboard
AC'97 Onboard Soundcard
jana joe Dec 20, 2003, 10:25pm EST Report Abuse
well....I have on 1GB of RAM....plenty there...the one thing I can think of is the fact that the Dell 8300 i got from them came with a 230W power supply. the 9800 XT stays between 44C - 50C...the highest its been is 55C. and the motherboard is built by Dell themselves.

jana joe Dec 20, 2003, 10:30pm EST Report Abuse
then I guess everyone has a problem with the way their PC is built since a lot of ppl seem to be having similar problems. and have u actually stopped and think about the fact that its maybe not the mobo or its settings...since it only happens with this game? other games play just fine....UT2003, Battlefield 1942...but not CoD.

Hmm....im thinkin its more like the drivers, or the game. hence the fact that game developers come out with new patches for their games. I dont see patches for mobos or PCs in general just cuz a game dont function properly

Alex D Dec 20, 2003, 10:45pm EST Report Abuse
you only have 230W power supply! That is way too low for your P4 3.0Ghz. get at least a 350W or 400W power supply with an intake and exhaust built on it. extra cooling power. hmmm i have tried Call of Duty on another machine which is a Sony and it ran fine with no crash. The sony system is a P4 2.6ghz with Hyperthreading. Mine is a P4 2.13Ghz.

why so many people are having problem this game is because each has different problems with their system. one may have problem with their motherboard, another can have problem with their video card. i wouldn't point my finger at Call of Duty because I have tested it on two machines and it ran perfectly. try a new power supply. I'm guessing Call of Duty eats up a lot of power because the game is VERY intense.

DFI NB70-SC Motherboard
AC'97 Onboard Soundcard
Kash Dec 20, 2003, 11:20pm EST Report Abuse
Ok, well DX9 is relatively new, correct? When new items come out, there's BOUND to be problems. It does have to do with computers, so it SHOULD be precise, but every once in a while there's mess ups. Cars mess up all the time, that's why there are recalls. Lately, no car is perfect. Car companies just push out new models because they need profit. It seems as though many game companies are doing this also. They pump out a game to get revenue, then patch it later. Not only does this increase the amount of hits on their site, thus generating profit through increased banner and pop-up funds, but it gets the name of the game out to the public. Whether this is good or bad depends on how well this "recall" works. You can pump outs**t, patch it, and get something great. I don't have any examples on hand, but I've read in mags (CGW, PCG, MaxPC) of games that sucked, then after patches, ran golden. Maybe that's the case with DX9. There are an all new fleet of hardware bending games coming out, so Microsoft pumped out a beefed up version of DX8 and didn't R&D it with newer vid-card drivers and hardware. All we can do now is wait. Maybe there really is some bad coding in CoD. EA doesn't seem to be too interested in announcing a patch or quick-fix for it. There could be a few motives for this. One being that they don't want to look bad. Another could be they really are working on one and won't release it until finished. Only EA knows for sure. But until then, all we can do is wait and hope for something to come out soon. But this is all just my 2cp.

Sincerely,
Lord Coldfire, king of the Bahoobanation Station

Sincerely,
Kash

AMD AM2 3600+ Brisbane (65nm), DFI Infinity UltraII-M2, 1GB Wintec AMPO DDR2-800 @ 667, Sapphire X1950 Pro, 250GB WD SATA II, 500W Coolmax PSU, Logitech MX500, Gateway PS/2 keyboard (circa 1999)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.