Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 718 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 09:12am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Ben Carter Apr 03, 2004, 03:01pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
I was experiencing the "serious error" message and the "wrong directX version" messages. The solution that I found was to delete this file:
C:\Documents and Settings\default.SOMEONE\My Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data\options.ini

That solved the problem, the game runs great now.

I also have an on-going ticket with EA tech support (which has been absolutely useless so far) about a "Data mismatch" error that my friends and I have been getting on LAN and Online games.

Nothing p**ses me off as much as pre-generated help responses. Especially the ones that go over newbie stuff, and things that I already checked. Oh, and when their response clearly shows that they really didn't read your message...yeah, that too...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
d J Apr 03, 2004, 08:00pm EST Report Abuse
Ben, i hear you. but consider how many people bought C&C and maybe don't really know what the heck they're doing. to them, it's magic when they drop the CD into the drive and the game comes up automatically! it's a modern miracle! to us, it's an annoying checkbox that you unclick so you don't get bothered and you have 9 other windows going and you were just queuing up for something in 20 minutes. i.e. most people are newbies, and most help desks get a tremendous benefit from sending those automated responses. we should ask: what percentage of people does that autoresponse help? you may be surprised. as an example, we changed our company's approach to password administration on the network. by developing a special website that can automatically do a password reset for you if you provide appropriate credentials, we can eliminate 500 phone calls to customer care. by eliminating 500 phone calls, you can changeover 2 headcount to do PC repairs or installs, something that can never happen fast enough in any modern enterprise.

it may not feel as warm and fuzzy, but it is effective. imagine the burnout level of customer care reps who reset passwords all day long... i personally would not survive that job.

Brian Piscitelli Apr 04, 2004, 12:03am EST Report Abuse
dj i understand wut u r saying but i have 1gb of geil ultra platinum 2x512mb pc3500 duel channel. made for duel channel. and works fine with everything. but i c wut r u sayin about other people who dont have paired memory, with differ cas. and banks on the memory. also i have done the research. there is some boards that r not compatiable with some memory brands. in my case the memery is fine. the p4c800 and the p4c800-e were not compatiable with kingston hyper x before the latest bios revision.

Daniel Tong Apr 10, 2004, 06:05am EDT Report Abuse
Here's my problem, i can't even install the game, it loads up the installer and then when it says "Welcome to zero hour installation" , i click "Next" but it does not go anywhere, it just stays on the same screen, it loads for like a second, then stays there, so the only option i have is "Cancel" the installation,
i really want to play this game, i even tried grabbing all the files from the CD & copying them onto my HDD, from both cd's into one folder, then running setup.exe, but it still stays on the screen, i can't play it!!!!
can anybody help please!!

j m Apr 10, 2004, 01:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Heys guys the problem lies in the ati software.. Seem all of you run 9600 - 9800 series ati cards.. The problem lies in the fact that your power supply is too weak yes.. thats only one of the problems.. look for a power supply with a 12volt rating at 19Watts - 24watts... trust me.. i ran a second powersupply just for my video card and it was stable.. ONLY THING THOUGH.. TYPE SMARGART in (RUN) it opens a hiddden utility none of you know about. Disable (read) or (write) or (both).. and make sure (FASTWRITE IS OFF) and this should fix your game problems.. I have the same problem with underpowered supply.. bout 15 minutes of gametime then a cold reboot.. But i just bought a new antec 550 watt 24watt per 12 volt molex connector.. this will fix the problem. Trust me.. ati was like huh.. when i told them that.

Andy Cr Apr 10, 2004, 02:00pm EDT Report Abuse
erm...no you dont.

I always use quality PSU's....my existing one is an Antec Trueblue 480W and I still have the problems. Also as many people have said here they dont all use ATI cards. I have a Matrox Parhelia in my secong machine and have the same issues on both machines . And there are plenty of people using Geforce cards suffering with it too.

j m Apr 10, 2004, 02:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Well in the came another thing you can try is turn your particle effects down a bit and LEAVE HEAT (OFF) in the custom video settings... that damn effect used to cause my 9700 to diplay artifacts in the game like nothing else.. it wasn't until a fix that later on allow me to see them although some people may not have the new drivers and yes it is a problem. Other then that there hsould be any other problems that persist in zerehour because i have played both generals and zereo hour on a 9700/9800 and to my knowledge and test that is thee only porblenm i have come accross. Still trying making sure your fastwrite is off cuz it is 99 percent of the time poblematic to any games. And with the new ati there separate smartgart utiliy that you have type into (RUN) is a big problem causer..

Brian Piscitelli Apr 10, 2004, 02:07pm EDT Report Abuse
James

earlier in the posts someone said they had a geforce. so it can nesicassly an ATI thing. i am sure that has some sort of effect tho. I have heard stuff about the fastwrite, also the power thing sortive on the same line as ati thing. if it does not mess up with other games then it is not ATI's fault, it is EA's fault that is the only game i have problems with. Obviously if u have bad power then your PC would mess up in more then one spot and or game. The solutions u gave can fix more then just Zero Hour problems.

d J Apr 11, 2004, 11:24am EDT Report Abuse
i had tremendous problems with GeForce 5200 based machine. funny, though, because both my machines are identical (HP a450n) except for the RAM and the mouse. i eliminated the mouse from the equation, and found that if you're running with >1 DIMM chip, they damn well better be certified by the chipmakers as working in a dual-channel configuration. if not, this game will have problems.

if you have 4 dimm slots, one solution is to take the chips out of dual channel configuration -- if you don't have 4 slots, this is not an option (see alternate below). stagger the banks used to force single-channel. (m=memory, o=open............instead of "m o m o", try "m o o m", also "o m m o". there's a tremendous amount of good stuff on intel's site - you have to find the specs for your chipset. if you're on AMD, good luck! hopefully the mobo manufacturer will have it posted.

in the end, i could run with 1 512MB chip, or 2 512MB chips so long as they were forced out of dual-channel mode (i did this by substituting a 333 mhz chip in with a 400mhz chip which forced single-channel operation in a 2-bank mobo.

this is partially a problem with mobo/dimm software interfaces, and with the game. i can run any settings i like on the 9800XT (i upgraded this weekend... woohoo!) no problems whatsoever. i'm getting about 8050 on 3dmark03, up from 1700 with the GeForce. game runs too fast! i lose too much now. :)

edit:
i forgot, i also tried this game on a sony vaio top of the line 530G, and it had tremendous problems too. that had a radeon 9200 stock in it. upgraded all drivers, continued to get smoke until i started farting around with the memory chips. this is where my whole diagnostic came into play. after i got rid of the vaio (thinking it was a problem with the machine), i bought a second a450n (because i had one working fine), and it worked with 1 512mb chip, but wouldn't work with 2 chips, no matter what config -- these were the same mem chips i used in the vaio. i then noticed the difference between speeds on the first HP, and realized it was single channel. some quick hardware swaps confirmed the result. mobo/memchips

j m Apr 11, 2004, 01:09pm EDT Report Abuse
well as new as the new dual channel memory is i don't get why you would use it with as many people have been having problems with it. See im not able to overclock and upgrade and thats mainly what all that ram is for.. most your guys problems lye in the fact that if you would justleave your system stock you wouldn't have so damn much problem. To this day i have NEVER had a problem with generals accept the HEAT affect.. And now that the new radeon 9800 requires too much power.. That was my only problems. Just seems like if oyu guys would stop overclocking and leave it alone your game would run fine.. i mean really who r u trying to impress the walls?

Tyan s2462 Dual Athlon MOBO
-(2) Athlon 2400 MP Processor(s)
-2 Gigabytes of 2100 DDR Kingston Ram
-Maxtor 160 GB (9) ATA133 Harddrive....
-Ibm 120GB ATA100 Harddrive
___ Cards ___
-Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Pro 2
-Radeon 9800xt 256mb
-RocketRAID ATA133 Non-Raid (2) Port Card
-Buslink (4) Port USB (3) Port IEEE
___ Drives ___
-Liteon 52x CDR Burner
-Liteon 8x DVD Burner
-Liton 16x DVD Reader
___ Other ____
-(2) 120mm Vantec Stealth Fans
-(2) 80mm Vantec Stealth Fans
-(2) 80mm CPU Fans By Speeze
-Nexus Blue Knob 4 Fan Controller
-Digital Doc 5 With Light Modded to Blue From Orange

Rhett Facer Apr 11, 2004, 10:48pm EDT Report Abuse
Here's my system specs:

Athlon XP "Barton" 2500+ @2.2ghz (3200+)
512mb Corsair PC3200 (DDR400) "Low Latency"
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
20GB Western Digital
120GB Western Digital "special edition" 8mb cache
Asus A7N8X Deluxe

My friend's and I play this game on a LAN, and even with no computer players (just 3 human players), we still get mismatch problems. So I don't think it is related to computer AI. Also, as you can see, my system isn't a low end system. My friend's specs are as follows:

Athlon64 3200+ (2.0ghz)
512mb PC2700MB
Sapphire Radeon 9600(non-pro)

and:

Athlon XP 1800+
512mb PC2700MB
ATI Radeon 9600XT

We also have a low end system we tested this with:

Intel Celeron 2.4ghz
256mb Ram
GeForceFX 5200

We tried removing this computer out of the picture thinking that it could possibly be the cause. But we still have the same problem.

So, what I do know is what is NOT causing the problem:

System Specs
Computer AI
Level of detail in the game

My only belief is that it is something wrong with the actual code in the game. :(

j m Apr 12, 2004, 12:32am EDT Report Abuse
have both of you tried loggin onto an onine game and downloading any updates that may have been released lately? And do you both have zere hour cuz you can't play inbetwen generals and zerohour...

d J Apr 12, 2004, 10:03am EDT Report Abuse
to counter the concern that this is "overclock" driven:

both a450n machines are identical with the following exceptions:
1 machine has a logitech marble fx trackball with latest mouseware drivers, other has a standard microsoft trackball

1 machine uses a Sony flatscreen at 60hz, the other some el cheapo monitor at 75hz.

1 machine has 1G RAM, 1 512MB PC2700 at 333mhz, and 1 512MB PC3200 at 400mhz, the other has 512M RAM, 1 512MB PC3200 at 400mhz.

everything else is EXACTLY the same just for the purposes of troubleshooting CNC. this is not an overclock issue, this is a MEMORY/MOBO issue. now, if you overclock, you can certainly ADD problems to the MEMORY/MOBO issue, but STOCK machines running STOCK equipment produce this problem if you try running in a dual channel configuration. purposely forcing single channel mode not only improves game performance, but keeps it from crashing endlessly within 2-20 minutes into the game (sound familiar? :) ) personally, i consider fixing the game from endlessly crashing to be the ultimate improvement in game performance. 8^)

Rhett Facer Apr 12, 2004, 12:04pm EDT Report Abuse
All 4 machines have v1.02 of C&C: Generals - Zero Hour. So yes, they are all running Zero Hour and are updated to v1.02

j m Apr 12, 2004, 01:17pm EDT Report Abuse
im curious.. have you downloaded any different patches and/or maps to play custom games.... and does this to it to evrey map? you may be colliding on your network too.. Make sure your computer names are different.. and network settings match up right.. you may be like say reciving but not sending right.. make sure your ipx/netbios and all that is up to date too in your network config... and make sure you have set up network sharing sometimes that doesn't like to let things work that well.

Rob Billing Apr 13, 2004, 06:44am EDT Report Abuse
I was getting this error all the time. sometimes when first launching. sometimes during play. sometimes when loading/starting a game.

I have recently realized it only crashes when my other pc (attached to my second network card) is turned on.

hope that helps someone at least. I reakon there are heaps of different reasons for the crash. I had heaps of problems a while ago with Hydravision, etc. I also had to remove all of my references to my old nVidia card (I have a Radeon now).

Someone also mentioned doing a lot of saves. I have noticed that seems to 'reset' the game environment, which seems like a good thing, as the game seems to slowly eat up resources.

Rick Edwards Apr 25, 2004, 03:15am EDT Report Abuse
I build systems, and have installed both Generals, and or Zero Hour on Mulitable system config's, including Abit, Asus, and MSI motherbaords, using Nvidia, or ATI high performance video cards.
The CPU's installed range ffrom 1200 32 AMD chips thru 64 AMD chips.

I would say that I have had about 35 different systems for customers (at least), that have one the games,which I nstalled after building the system, and there has NOT been on of then who HAS not had a crash to the destop!!! Five of the customers have the MSI Geforce 5950, WHICH comes with Generals !!, and crashed LOL.

It does not matter on the Video, or obviously the Motherboard config. The only thing they all have in common is having either Winxp, or Winxp Pro installed, and all use the AMD chips, other than that the systems are all pretty much setup differently.

Some of the systems crashed on start up, some crashed either 1/4 - 1/2 way thru the game, and it does not happen all the time, but it happens and all I can tell my customers is to contact C&C support which gets them about nowhere.

My customers told me after they talked to support, that they were told that there problem was unique!! so it had to be their hardware which is incompatabile!!! LOL!!! So I guess that just about every system out there that uses an AMD chip, and or Winxp is incompatiable with their game?? LOL HMM

I personally have an AMD 3200 (Non-Clocked) system, using the MSI 5950 256 Video card (NBOX), Asus A7n8X 400 Board, with 1 gig of Corsair LL Memory, and sure enuf I get crashing to the desktop myself! Sometimes 1/4 the way thru, sometimes about near the end of a skirmish! Not all the time, but I do know if I paly long enuf, it will eventually crash, and the way I have my system setup, the CPU never exceeds 110 Degrees, and the Video never over 115 degrees, at full hard play!

I learned to no longer recommend Generals, and or Zero hour to any of my new customers, there are just too many OTHER comparable games out there, that simply work like they are supposed to and do not crash!@

Rick

j m Apr 25, 2004, 10:50am EDT Report Abuse
curious.. but what size powersupply do you put in all those computeres? and whats the watt rating for the 12 volt molex's

Rick Edwards Apr 25, 2004, 03:07pm EDT Report Abuse
All the systems that my company creates uses ONLY, Antec 400 True Ps's and above, or TT 400 PS's, unless a customer have a paticuliar need for another brand which is rare

So no I do not think that would be an issue ;-)

I personally use a 500 TT power supply, in a TT Taser 3 Alum case ;-)

RIck

kostas kerkiraios Apr 27, 2004, 01:45am EDT Report Abuse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.