Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 662 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 09:23am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
j m Apr 27, 2004, 08:58am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
First off you don't have a clue. EA games are fine. Unitl i purchased my 9800 xt I've ran Generals/Generals Zerehour for about 4 days straight... i never had a problme accept with there heat effect which always gave my screen a a whirle until they released the fix.

What the problem is like everyone else is you probablyhave one of the new video cards. And the answer is there is no answer. As of now 95% of boards out have trouble with the cards because of a power issue nvidia nor ati took time to take into account.

My card requires over 1.5 volts on the agp slot, thus cuasing me to crash because there is insufficient power to run the damn. Now although this gets annoying and i have finally ordered a new 550 watt powersupply, there really isn't anything that can be done outside of buying a new mobo.

And if you would take the time and read the forum you would see what im talking about, and theres a forum post on the ndvidia 5900 and 9800 graphics cards which you should read up on. Its not the game. Hell with my new videocard i get crashes into windows just the same, don't even have to have a game running. Any 3d moddeling application will cause it when you using openGL.

The only thing I can tell you and it may or may not be a fix is this:

If you have the option up the agp slot to 1.7-2.0v's first.
If that doesn't work turn off fastwrite and in run type in SMARTGART and then uncheck the agp read.
If that doesn't work, tunr off vpu recover, windows autorestart, and windows error reporting.
If that doesn't work, then try purchasing a larger powersupply.

I t seems any of the psu's i've seen listed ran prolly around 15-18 watts on the 12 molex connedctors.... anything running 20-34watts on the 12 should be perfect.

If all that doesn't work: (misc)

Up your processor voltage, up your ram voltage, or just f**king give up.

Basically thats all anyone on this or any other forum could come up with. But for the last f**king time ,its not the game, its not poor gameing companies coding. Its the video card drivers/comatibilty.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
kostas kerkiraios Apr 28, 2004, 05:13am EDT Report Abuse

Orlando Ferrante Apr 28, 2004, 09:56am EDT Report Abuse
Jim Miller, you have it all wrong. It IS the code, and it IS EA Games. I have this problems on three other PC's with all different hardware, mother boards, video cards (NVIDIA or ATi), memory brands and ratings, hard drives (Serial, IDE)...it doesn't matter about the hardware. There is a major bug in the game when trying to play LAN on certain maps especially against HARD AI opponents. Too many units are built after 10-15 minutes and the system chokes. I have tried contacting EA Games and they just don't care. And I think it's because a mojority of the people play missions or online and that is NOT where this error occurs the most. Once again, it is NOT the Video card, drivers, memory or motherboard. It is NOT an NVIDIA or ATi thing. Its an EA Games thing. As the prvious person stated, we can reduce this horrible error by doing just as his says.

Brian Stewart Apr 28, 2004, 11:40am EDT Report Abuse
I used to play Zero Hour all the time.
I NEVER had this problem.
I've only seen the serious error message twice I think.
And they've patched in since then.

I also played ALL the maps.
I beat them all with easy, medium, and brutal (a patch renamed them to Hard) opponents.
(I would max out the opponents to fit the map)

This is obviously not bad coding.
I think James is right.

JAMES IS RIGHT

I rmemeber my friend having the same exact problem.
In fact, it happened to him in EVERY openGL game.

He's right.
It's probably power and hardware.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Orlando Ferrante Apr 28, 2004, 11:49am EDT Report Abuse
Sorry Brian, but I have to disagree. As I have said at the beginning of this thread, it is happening on different PC's with different hardware (totally different). It may be that when you are playing the game in Skirmish or LAN mode on these particular maps you are destroying the enimy quicker than most people so you don't see the error. But try Twilight Flame on Zero Hour against 7 HARD AI opponents and build you base for about 10-15 minutes before attacking and then tell me if you get the error. The thing about all this is that Command & Conquer Generals was just fine on all of these PC's. Not one serious error message once in Skirmish or LAN mode on any map with all Brutal AI opponents. I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe it is hardware related.

Brian Stewart Apr 28, 2004, 04:14pm EDT Report Abuse
But try Twilight Flame on Zero Hour against 7 HARD AI opponents and build you base for about 10-15 minutes before attacking and then tell me if you get the error.

Been there.
Done that.
MANY times.

NO ERROR.

What are the graphics cards in ALL of those 5 configs? And What are the PSU rails rated for?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
j m Apr 28, 2004, 07:03pm EDT Report Abuse
umn you guys really get cocky you know that.. i have never had a problem on this computer or the others we've played it on.. i run over 2 gigs of ram and a 2 2400 athlons and did run a 9700 pro 128 graphics card .. never crashed and never had problems.. on our old computer with an athlon 2100 and 512 ram and a radeon 7000 it ran perfect.... AND on every other computer i have every played on it hasn't crashed.. the bug you keep getting that restarts the computer or crashes isn't just ea games.. EVERY f**king game i own which is like 20 recent games.. ALL f**kING CRASH... its only happened since i had the 9800 xt 256mb.. and it seems according to the 30 other pages of posts on here that its the graphics card. check out the video card sections.. you can take your BAD CODE HYPOTHESIS and stick it up your ass... just because you can't fix it don't blame it on ea.. because if there was a problem.. they'd have a fix for it. Get xp pro with service pack updates if you can't run it right... xp hope is prolly whats crashing alot of thiss**t anyways... thers always an answer and something wrong with the computer your using... its not there fault.. thats why theres beta testing.. god damnit........................................

Tyan S2462 Dual Athlon with 2 Athlon 2400's
2 Gigs of DDR 2100 Kingston
2 160GB Maxtor Running ATA133 7200rpm
Radeon 9800XT 256mb
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro
Liteon CDRW 52x24x48, Liteon DVDRW 8x40x24x50, Liteon DVDR

And remember folks... just because you think you know.. you don't knows**t

j m Apr 28, 2004, 07:05pm EDT Report Abuse
And too top if off ... if you read.. any crash related to graphics already tells you its the graphics card... the game came out after the 9600 did... gee.. maybe it needs a faster graphics card.. duhhh.... maybe that old 9700 is just getting otta date... why don't you all upgrade first to something better...AND FOR THE LAST f**kING TIME READ THE GRAPHICS CARD FORUM

j m Apr 28, 2004, 07:08pm EDT Report Abuse
And well i might as well explain it... That map prolly has alot of graphic content.. and if you read the graphics forum about the xt radeon's reboot the computer you'd would see that the more graphics and harder system rendering that you would throw on the card the faster the restart.. its prolly restarting right there because tahts when the game usage peaks out.. and wham.. not enough power for the card.. so far on this forum or talking to high level tech on my mobo manfacturer and ati it seem there newer cards and even nvidia's run higher the 1.5 volts on the agp... so thus you start burning my graphics and theres not enough power.. the cards require like 1.6-2.0 volts... ifg you would all just try this.......... and for the last time read the graphics forum.

Brian Stewart Apr 28, 2004, 07:49pm EDT Report Abuse
You're 100% right.
I guarantee if these people would turn on error reporting, every "random rboot" would then be a BSOD (Stop Errors) pointing to the GRAPHICS DEVICE DRIVER.

I presume that EA actually coded generals to PREVENT stop errors such as that, and to save the system from crashing. I bet the serious error is there to avoid the "random reboot" that poeple would get in other games.

I guess people don't want to believe that their brand new card is the culprit. They probably hate how I played the game FINE on oh, let's see...

athlon 2000+ GeForce 4 MX xp pro
P4 2.8 GHz HT GeForce 4 Ti xp home
P4 2.6 (or was it 2.8) no HT ONBOARD SiS Graphics (Shuttle PC I built for a non-gamer) pro
Athlon 3000+ GeForce 5600 FX pro
Athlon 2500+ OnBoard GeForce 4 Ti (equivalent) pro

Then there's 8 more people on my floor in my dorm who run it too!
These people do NOT have the top END graphics cards.
They have low - high end cards. NOT the top of the line.
I've heard of no complaints. (And I would, I the resident computer bitch for a lot of people here)

It's HARDWARE.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
kostas kerkiraios Apr 29, 2004, 05:13am EDT Report Abuse
I will try to do what James Miller says and change the volts of the AGP. I hope this works and solves the problem.
BUT even if that solves the problem the question still remains. Why only CNC??? WHY CNC IS THE ONLY GAME THAT REQUIRES MORE VOLTS TO PLAY? Why DOOM 3 plays fine on my PC and CNC doesn?t? Don?t tell me CNC requires a better PC than DOOM 3 does!!! Especially about the graphic card!
I already said that I play fine every single game release EXCEPT CNC! Im not saying changing the volts wont solve the problem. Im saying why do I have to change my configuration to play a single game or even worse change my whole PC and not EA make a better code??? Maybe the code isn?t faulty but im DEFINITELY SURE EA could make it lighter and faster for my pc.
-Maybe EA doesn?t care
-maybe its less costly for EA to make a bad code than to try hard and make a fast and light code
-maybe EA is getting paid from harware companies to make such a resourse hunger games just to make the gamers buy new hardware?
-MAYBE ALL ABOVE

About the guys who still thinks it?s the hardware I will remind them the following: I HAVE PLAYED THE GAME IN 10 DIFFERENT PCS AND IF I CONSIDER THE WHOLE POSTS IN THIS SECTION WE HAVE MORE THAN 50 DIFFERENT PC COMBOS THAT THE GAME CRASH!!! AND ITS ONLY CNC! OH I HAVE PLAYED CNC ALSO ON WIN 98 AND WIN XP AND IT STILL CRASHES? STOP THINKING WHAT EA(AND THE OTHER HARDWARE COMPANIES) WANTS U TO THINK. THAT ITS UR HARDWARE. IM COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH MY HARDWARE. I WRITE MUSIC WITH REASON AND CUBASE, I USE PHOTOSHOP AND I PLAY EVERY GAME EXCEPT ***C-N-C***!!!

Rob Billing Apr 29, 2004, 05:52am EDT Report Abuse
Can anyone who has a high powered PSU AND gets this crash, please post.
I'm almost convinced this may be a power supply thing. Hard to agree with rude people, though.

This is the only game that crashes on my PC. Games that work fine : Far Cry, UT2004, NFSU, Prince of Persia, GTA:VC, BF1942, Vietcong, Max Payne 2, etc.

Maybe this is a super power draining type game? that sounds a bit odd to me...

As I have said previously, I think there are several seperate issues, not a single fix.

XP1700, 9600XT, 512 RAM, WinXP Pro, Random ZH crashes.

j m Apr 29, 2004, 08:42am EDT Report Abuse
hey one thing you guys can try in the game instead of cranking the graphics all the way up becausd yes this game requieres more graphics then most games out there. Put your setting on Full Graphics, then hit custom and turn off extra animations, and turn off heat. And if you don't care about partciles turn them down a bit too.. now try and play the game. I think whats happening is theres a particle or effect that your vcard doesn't like and when your playing against the comptuer and theres a whole bunch of it it glitches.. no because its a bad game but because your card really goes f**k.... that suxs.... i know on my 9700 i had a problem with head and sometimes would even crash into windows but it was a fix later on... make damn sure you have directx9.0b though too

Orlando Ferrante Apr 29, 2004, 08:58am EDT Report Abuse
Here are my specs:

Windows XP Pro SP1 (patched with all criticle and most recommended updates)
Antec True 480W
Asus P4P800 - Deluxe BIOS1016
P4 2.4C 800mhz (no over-clocking) (Thermaltake fan with copper heatsink)
1 GIG Kingston PC3200 RAM (2 512MB stciks) no over clocking
36.7 SATA WD Raptor
ATi Radeon Pro 9800 128MB (Catalyst 3.8, Now using Catalyst 4.4)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (latest drivers)
CNC Zero Hour patched to 1.02

The other two PC's are PIII's on Abit MB's. One has an NVIDIA GForce4 MX440, the other a Radeon 8500.

You're right Rob. There are alot of rude arrogant people in here. Hey James, why don't you take the time and read the thread from the begining, and you'll see we have tried shutting off these settings already as well as some of the other obvious things. Lighten up man...stop being so negative. We didn't call you at your home to complain about the game. Geez.

j m Apr 29, 2004, 09:13am EDT Report Abuse
i did read the threawt from the beginning.. by then why dont' you read up on some of the other forum posts.. theres more then just this forum.. and theres more then just the game..

Brian Stewart Apr 29, 2004, 01:48pm EDT Report Abuse
This sort of crash will happen to you people in most modern OpenGL games I bet.
HOWEVER. The crash may just be a "random reboot" as I said earlier.
I bet EA put the "Serious Error" in there to avoid a random reboot.

These modern cards, once that came out after Generals and Zero Hour, could not have been used in testing by EA. It's the responsibility of the hardware manufavcturers to make sure their hardware works with previous software.

If you want to fix the problem.
Make sure you have all updates.

For Generals, Zero Hour, (patching Zero Hour will patch generals)
Windows (also, make sure you have XP!)
Graphics drivers (ATi drivers, 4.3 and 4.4 have a lot of problems, you may have to try 4.2, 4.3, AND 4.4 to find the omst stable one)
Bios
Chipset
DirectX

After you have all the updates
play the game until you get the error.
Once you get the error, up your agp voltage a tad, and play again
if you still get the error, up the voltage again.

And if you STILL get the error, make sure all settings are down to their lowest

And if you STILL get the error, get a new PSU.

Generals/Zero Hour is a really intensive game.

(do all this on a fresh, clean, install of geenrals and zero hour (rememebr to disable all antivirus!!)

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
r c Apr 30, 2004, 10:45am EDT Report Abuse
Man would you guys stop crappin on about changing voltages and gettin new psu's and treatin everyone like they are morons? Fact is at home ive got a p4 2.8c with a gig of corsair 400, p4p800 and a ti4200, and an athlonxp 1.8, 512 meg and a geforce 3. Whats being explained in this thread happens on both systems. The developers should make the game to run on current hardware period. You should not have to reconfigure your whole computer, reinstall your operating system and buy new hardware just to play a game. If what your saying was true, that would just reinforce the fact that the game is at fault. It seems too resource hungry, too incompatible and obviously they never used the beta testing period properly. Just because you two stuck up pri*ks got the game to work, does not mean that everyone else is wrong and your right. Your the lucky ones obviously.

Im a creative director at a multimedia firm. We have 8 workstations in the creative dep. with various configurations for different tasks. Zero hour only works without problem on 4 of them. Our machines are fully up to date, we render in lightwave, use photoshop, illustrator, premiere, flashmx2004 and after effects all day every day, not one of the pcs has a problem. We play Unreal 2004 at lunchtimes, runs perfectly on all of them as well as war3 and NFS underground. Not one problem. Our drivers are sorted out, our psu's are all 400w and over, name brand and our XP installations are properly configured. They have to be, because if they arent, we loose 1+ gig broadcast quality renders overnight and that really ticks us off. The claim that it is the hardware is ridiculous at best. It has nothing to do with 9800's, 5950's, intel and amd. The game code seems not optimal. Fullstop. If it was, it would run half decent at least.

Your totally missing the point on the random reboots. Who cares if they *possibly* implemented the serious error message to stop random reboots. The reboots are only half the problem. The game runs like a DOG after 10-20 mins and has intermittent fits BEFORE a crash. Its like its overloading the GPU with rubbish instructions, or finding it extremely difficult to manage the system and graphics memory. Any developer, who has properly tested the game, would know of these issues. ISSUES ON ONE-THREE YEAR OLD SYSTEMS . Because thats also where the crashes are happening, guys. And any developer, knows, that the way in which the game runs on many systems, IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. EA is totally snubbing its customers according to this thread. I have never, ever had a game run like this before. The fashion in which it does it is VERY similar on all these pc's, which strongly indicates its the game.

As if the imperfections in ATI drivers, and any imperfections in nVidias drivers will make the game run in the same crap way on different configurations! The faults in the drivers would have to be in exactly the same areas, on exactly the same graphic procedures. It would take a truckload of cash and ATI and nVidia working together to achieve this! The cards work differently, they have different drivers, coded in totally different fashions. And the in game faults are the SAME. Can you understand this? All this, to run a game, coded under the same specification as many other games, which dont have these problems! Dont come back with the graphics drivers hypothesis, its invalid, its just plain bad and its a waste of time. Notice how EA released the patch to make the heat effect work properly on your PC james? Who released it? Who? Why didnt it work james? BECAUSE IT MOST LIKELY WASNT PROPERLY TESTED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Yes its intensive. Yes you have to expect slow down on full detail on an 8 player skirmish. But its not just slow down, its spews graphics off and on screen and slows to a crawl. Half the time, i get the serious error message after i exit the game! What kind of game does that on so many different hardware configurations? It would seem a game that has not been properly tested, thats what type of game. Stop telling people to go and buy all this new stuff, because people who dont know any better, will. Your wasting their time and money. If you have nothing better to do than tell everybody to tear their PC's apart for a $60 game, that doesnt work on their pc, which they have PAID for, then dont bother. What the hell has video cards released after the game got to do with g4 ti's, GF 3's, and earlier 9000 series radeons? Absolutely bloody nothing! The game has problems on many a machine! Face the facts. One or both of you dont experience the problems, you dont have access to these peoples machines when it stuffs up, and you dont have a damn clue whats really goin on. Stop absuing people and treating them like rubbish. You base all your arguments on a post about late model video cards and their high power requirements! What are you guys, 15? EA fanboys?

Brian Stewart - did you come here to brag about how ZH runs better on your computer than the tonnes of people in this thread having problems? Who all have valid points? Not getting enough attention at home?

"any crash related to graphics already tells you its the graphics card"
Yeah id agree, its the graphics card...but its not the graphics cards fault! The code that is driving the bloody game is killing the graphics card. Why? Bad Code! Bulky and resource hungry. Maybe you dont understand optimization and running restrictions because you dont code or something, i dont know.

"And remember folks... just because you think you know.. you don't know s**t"
Well said James. Hope you take your own advice sometime.

The guys shouldnt have to read other forums and threads on hardware. The thing should generally work, plain and simple. The fact that it works in such a poor fashion on their pc's is of major concern.

Edit: On a more positive note..dont get me wrong, its a fantastic game, fun to play, looks nice, when its not stuffing up it runs well on my pc's. Obviously a majority of people who bought the game can run it fine, or dont speak up if it doesnt. But to have so many people having problems and have no answer from EA except "change your refresh to 75hz" is disappointing. To have the thing slow to a crawl on peoples 9800 pros with 3ghz+ cpus and a gig of ram with a decent PSU (those specs as an average top end) the same as a mid range spec pc (defects in the same way at around the same time) is puzzling to say the least. If you are going to buy this game, i would say its worth it, and i hope it gives you hours of fun. Hopefully you wont have any problems. Im not trying to destroy the games reputation...I love the game. But fanboys who write stupid things in their posts give me the sh*ts. I believe in my personal opinion that its the game causing problems, for reasons ive outlined above. However this is just my opinion. Any flame is aimed at the fanboys. Maybe EA will address the issue in another patch.

Andy Cr Apr 30, 2004, 10:59am EDT Report Abuse
LOL...well said m8...... Ive been following the latest postings of these two bum chums for a few days now, biting my tongue and waiting to see some solid evidence that they are maybe one and the same sad poster using two different ID's. Maybe they are maybe theyre not, either way STFU cos no-one here wants to hear your bullshit. The game is at fault that's been established long ago and thousands of users with thousands of different PC setup's have already proved that.

RC...I wanna come and work at your place....sounds like fun :)

Joe PE Apr 30, 2004, 01:38pm EDT Report Abuse

r c .... You make a lot of excellent points. I dont know about everyone else but I dont really have problems with lan games. That is why my original thought was that the problem was all in the ai. Ive run the twilight flame map with all medium opponents and it has nowhere near the problems. The hard opponents create way too many units and more than half the time all the units are trying to occupy the same space (like the center point of the twilight flame map)(or a particular choke point). Ive been experimenting with some of the mods out there with the authors own ai. There are a number of variables that can be changed. How fast units are created, the amount of units that can be created etc. But I wholeheartedly agree that none of this should be necessary. To pay your hard earned money and to have something not work as it is intended is wrong and EA should recognize this. I dont recommend this software to people I build pcs for anymore. And if they insist I just say be ready for problems......

Joe PE Apr 30, 2004, 01:38pm EDT Report Abuse
ooops.... sorry, fat fingered the post button. J

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.