Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 378 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:41am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Rob Billing May 11, 2004, 05:06am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
nice guys, aren't you?
gives**t to someone trying to help....

I was not posting the info as if it would fix everyone's problems. And I doubt that everyone here has actually gone to the EA site.

Hope you guys solve your problems.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Andy Cr May 11, 2004, 05:23am EDT Report Abuse
Actually I think you'll find most have.....if you read the post in full you'll see the EA thread referred to several times and I think the contents have been copied in before too.

Anyway dont take offence....a bit of mild sarcasm never hurt anyone :)

Shane Spina May 11, 2004, 06:44am EDT Report Abuse
a little flaming is part and parcel of forums ;) you should of seen the crap brian got :P

I have been to EA several times but they r not useful

ok test 3... 3 humans and 3 Hard AI all machines stayed alive :S and using same machines as in my first post.. i would have to deduce that it is the final machine but nothing is proven till tested... so thats on for tomorrow

i'll spew if it doesnt crash now ;)

j m May 11, 2004, 09:16am EDT Report Abuse
I think this thread is becomming more of a lost cause and a good laugh more then anything. I still think there might be something in the networking that is causing it... A crashing packet, wrong throuput rate, or something. It just isn't a common enough error. I never have gotten it. At all. Not even once.

Shane Spina May 11, 2004, 07:57pm EDT Report Abuse
i would like to agree James but in previous posts ppl said they were getting the error in skirmish mode.. no networking or @ least there shouldnt be..

if u cant see from my posts that i am trying to find some sort of cause then ur a bigger idiot than i originally thought.. i am approaching my testing in a methodical manner..

j m May 11, 2004, 08:02pm EDT Report Abuse
well i've tried skirmish... i normally play all maps on all player hard.... although normally i play with 50000 cash.. maybe it does it to 10000 cash instead?

Shane Spina May 11, 2004, 08:10pm EDT Report Abuse
havent we already established that u fixed ur error??

I am sorry James ur system is not indicative of typical systems on this forum

and also the world doesnt revolve around u.. :) so just cause ur not having problems everyone else is.. ok? time to get over yourself and land back in the real world

Tufti Kins May 12, 2004, 11:16am EDT Report Abuse
JM seems to suffer from some sort of short memory syndrome.

'It just isn't a common enough error. I never have gotten it. At all. Not even once'

He says.

Odd that because.....

'wow.. thats totally stupid... it crashed... but do you know what.. how come thats the first time i have every really got that message? I never crash during lan plays, i never crash during multiplayer plays...i don't get it.' ...

was what he posted after trying the game save I posted that causes a serious error every time on every PC (so far!). The save was from a skirmish game BTW (ie no networking required)

My personal theory is that the error is caused by the code controling unit navigation (crops up with on some maps more than others and seems to be caused by high unit count). Normly you see wierdness involving units stuck in loops with movement animation but not moving. This seems to cause the game to slow to a crawl & the serious error is normaly not far behind. Could just be an unrelated bug though. The game is overloaded with bugs afterall.

j m May 12, 2004, 01:16pm EDT Report Abuse
you all better stop making fun of me.. im trying my hardess to reproduce your guys error.. on any level it doesn't show up... and my error wasn't with the game i fixed but my video card.. and my last few posts haven't even but about that so f**k off god damnit.. theres enough harassing going on that i don't need anymore. Geezuz..... im simply saying i don't get these erros you guys get.. no one oi know that plays the game has ever gotten them.. even on high unit games where it starts to slow i never have problems.. sure it goes hella slower and units start to jump.. but that happens...

j m May 12, 2004, 10:56pm EDT Report Abuse
I may have a new idea........ Today i accidentally minimized into windows out of generals... and i said ok.. and while i was ingame i had loaded a page with a video clip on it.. well i decided to play the video clip.. but when i went back into my game there was no sound... Im wondering if maybe the game uses a media player based integrated player... i don't know its prolly nothing but what if the music is causing the crashes when the game gets intense? like when it cahgnes over to different songs for different moments of the game? Try updating your media player components in windows... this may be nothing like i said.. but its something i haven't seen mentioned ever.....

Carter Sudeith May 12, 2004, 11:03pm EDT Report Abuse
No James it did that because your audio only has one buffer to use so the buffer was full from the video you played outside the game. Restarting the game would have fixed that.

Shane Spina May 12, 2004, 11:05pm EDT Report Abuse
a good suggestion James.. but i am running SP2 which automatically updates Media Player to latest..

does anyone who has problems play MP3's in either MP or in winamp while they play? i usually do.. might be a valid poll of ppl who have problems and if they have problems whether they have a Media Player on or not

j m May 12, 2004, 11:24pm EDT Report Abuse
well what about the game speed setting... do you guys run the standard game speed or do you speed it up? i run mine about 33-35...

kostas kerkiraios May 13, 2004, 03:44am EDT Report Abuse
dude! this forum is real fun!

it is getting more and more funnier!

anyway i dont now if anyone of u guys have this error..
I play stealth general against two brutal computer and i rush the first one, capture his jcb and build a barracks in his base, start building tank hunters right away, thats when my quads cannon arrives and destroy the whole base and i go for the next one and finish him too. It took me about 53 seconds to finish them both...
I play again the same way and i finish them again...
I play again. BUT when i try to build the barracks a mismatch error comes out! what the f**k? in 10 seconds a mismatch error?
I play again and the mismatch error comes again exactly the same time i build the barracks!
That was the first day.
The second day i do the same. I win the first two matches BUT in the third game the moment exactly i build the barracks in his base the mismatch error comes.
Well, i dont now what u guys think but i came to the conclusion that the computer player is a looser and he errors the game when he see things arent going too good for him. Well thats for sure the best artificial inteligence i have ever see! HE prefers to error his own game than to lose!!! GOOD JOB EA!!!

Anyways i play the game in an internet cafe with top class pcs 3ghz, Gforce 5950fx,1gig ram 400mhz and the game used to crash all the time especially in twilight flame as usual. THEN after yelling them about the crashes some technicians came and they applied some patches they made by their own(the game is still v1.0) and the crashes stopped! i dont now what they did and what was that patches for but the game rocks now!!!
I know im not being helpful but look at the bright side: there is a hope and some way to solve the problems :-D

Douglas Calabrese May 13, 2004, 01:03pm EDT Report Abuse
You should see if they would give you that patch.

Rick Edwards May 18, 2004, 05:08am EDT Report Abuse
Well, I have posted numerous times here, played and built many a system that this game was installed on.

All systems were high end, and above 2800 + systems, with the fastest video cards, and huge reliable Power Supply's.

Finally after a year of diddling with the flipping crashins, on most every system I have built for customers, I think I may have a lead with the bug.

I personally have a AMD 3200+, with a Asus Nvidia Deluxe Version 2 M/B, using 1gig of Corsair pc 3200 DDR memory, and of course the Nvidia 5950, 256 monster video card.

What I think the problem is everyone is looking in the wrong place, as I was.
I feel the prolem is that Zero Hour has is not being able to handle super quality system power!

I SIMPLY changed the game speed to 38 vs 30, and my numerous amount of crashes dwindled down to 1 in every 10 games, vs about having the crash in EVERY game, since I always play 8 brutal enemies.

I think high end systems are trying to push the game at a certain speed, and the 30 setting can not compensate, as in a frame rate target speed other pc games have, and I bet if I turned up the speed to 40 or or above, I would elimate the error altogether, but of course, that would be insane playing it.

Like I said I think the probelm is having too much of processing power, and trying to make the game run at stock speed, which in turn makes it crash, and burn.

Just another thought ;-)
Rick

j m May 18, 2004, 08:53am EDT Report Abuse
38 is where i always have mine set and i never get a crash.. in fact i remember back in just old generals i would get kicked out on a ocasion for no reason and i never used the game speed adjustment... maybe the game speed adjust does have something to do with it

Tom Salmond May 18, 2004, 03:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Quote" Anyways i play the game in an internet cafe with top class pcs 3ghz, Gforce 5950fx,1gig ram 400mhz and the game used to crash all the time especially in twilight flame as usual. THEN after yelling them about the crashes some technicians came and they applied some patches they made by their own(the game is still v1.0) and the crashes stopped! i dont now what they did and what was that patches for but the game rocks now!!! I know im not being helpful but look at the bright side: there is a hope and some way to solve the problems :-D"

You need to find out what that patch was and let us all in on the secret. I would love nothing more than a magic bullet at this point since none of the other suggestions have worked.

kostas kerkiraios May 19, 2004, 02:18am EDT Report Abuse
i have already asked the internet cafe what were that patches for but they didnt know. I have contact with the centrals and i hope they will answer me soon and give me that patches

kostas kerkiraios May 19, 2004, 02:19am EDT Report Abuse
i have already asked the internet cafe what were that patches for but they didnt know. I have contact with the centrals and i hope they will answer me soon and give me that patches

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.