Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 707 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 09:06am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Dec 29, 2003, 02:43am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
I've already done an uninstall/reinstall, so should i just keep it that way, but try to match resolutions? Is there an out of game configuration file like that of Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate series of games from Bioware? I know you can change resolutions, difficulty and stuff out of game, so im wondering if EA has something similar. That way i can find out what resolution i'm running at, and set my desktop the same.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
rick herman Dec 31, 2003, 12:29am EST Report Abuse
I have been getting the same errors as all of you. I just put my system together and it runs flawlessly untill I play Generals Zero Hour. I was worried about my stuff untill I read all of your problems. I am going to try using the tweak pro program and see it it will help.

Anonymous Anonymous Dec 31, 2003, 01:01am EST Report Abuse
OK, i got Generals Zero Hour recently and i have installed it. I think its a great game, except for one thing, that stupid SERIOUS ERROR, its not overheating, its not a virus, its a BIG PAIN is what it is.

I have tried several solutions from you guyz, such as Monitor changes and 'Tweak XP', that didnt work, i have experienced the problem before, but i ignored it, now it cant be ignored, i have one saved game and its at the end of the American Campaign, everytime i try and load that game, it crashes and gives me the message, can anyone help me?!?!?!

Dec 31, 2003, 04:17pm EST Report Abuse
Sorry man, we're all getting these problems. For anyone else out there that gets them, stop posting about recieving the errors, and start posting about how to fix it (if that can be done). What can you do to help? Why, go *bonk* EA on the head and tell em to find out whats going on. hehe. So, how was everyone's "holiday" if you had one? Excited about the new year? I'm going to get toasted tonight, soooooo Hopefully i wont come home and try to play generals in my drunken stooper. Have fun everyone!

Robert Baxmann Jan 06, 2004, 12:53am EST Report Abuse
I don't have the serious error message, however I do have some very frustrating problem.

I just bought a new PC Intel p4 2.5 gig ATI radion 9200 512ddr ram 120 gig hd sb live.OS:XP pro

My big problem is every few seconds, especially when I have built the base up (skirmish mode) the sound stutters and repeats itself along with very slow video. I think I have a pretty fast PC, more than the min requirements. I have also tinkered with every possible setting one can do. no real improvement.

I sometimes wonder if it might be XP because I have experienced this with a few games which did not manifest on a win 2000 OS

Anyone having similar problems?

adel hannouf Jan 09, 2004, 11:57am EST Report Abuse
for all of u dude whos having the serious error message,i used to have this error with c&c zh in nividea gf4 mx 440 but its over now, all of u guys just right click on desktop head to settings push on advenced and look where u can find options to select: best image,high image blend high performance, best performance or somtehing like that, if u found those options to select it should be selected on best image or something similar so reduce the quality of image and select the blend options or high performance or something similar than the game should work perfect without giving no error. this thing worked on my nividea gf4 440 mx and it should work on all video cards also but just find where to select those options and it will be done. for all who tryed to do this reply and post if this stuff helped ok see ya later gamers

Orlando Ferrante Jan 09, 2004, 01:06pm EST Report Abuse
Sorry dude, I have an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro and this does not help me. If I reduce the number of Computer AI opponents from 4 to 3 I reduce the chance of the serious error message, but the game lags terribly right in the middle when armies & bases grow. Funny thing is that this only occurs on certain maps in Skirmish and is not evident in "Challenge" mode or on Missions. Poor coding is the reason, if you ask me. I only hope they fix it because I really like the game.

Orlando Ferrante Jan 09, 2004, 01:33pm EST Report Abuse
You know, a simple acknowledgement from EA Games about this issue with assurance they researching the matter would help ALOT! But they are refusing to acknowledge this issue and choose to take the coward way out and blame the Hardware, OS, Drivers, or a virus. This game is awesome if only I can play it the way it was meant to be played...

Andy Cr Jan 12, 2004, 07:19am EST Report Abuse
Just to add weight to the issue, I have same problems. Generals runs a treat on both my PC's (an Athlon 2100+ with Radeon 9600Pro and 512MB RAM and a P4 2.8Ghz with Matrox Parhelia and 1GB RAM) with all settings on maximum at 1600x1200 resolution. Zero Hour runs like a dog however (and Im not talking a greyhound here you understand) on both machines even with all the settings at minimum, 640x480 resolution. The patch hasnt helped.

I've only actually had the serious error message once whilst playing the China campagn, but the ridiculous lagging/stuttering/freezing issue in Skirmish mode happens ALL the time making the game effectively unplayable.

Just out of throughness I've messed with all my graphical/BIOS type settings and as I suspected it makes no difference. What I can't understand is how some people CAN play the game without apparent issues???? What's their secret?

EA must be aware of this and Im convinced its a coding problem and not anything to do with individual hardware specs. My two machines are so radically different in terms of hardware and yet I get exactly the same issues on both.

Andy Cr Jan 12, 2004, 07:24am EST Report Abuse
One additional thought......could it be a soundcard issue? Often overlooked but have known soundcards to be the root of all evil with game bugs in the past. I'm using an Audigy Platinum in one machine and an Audigy2 Platinum in the other if anyone cares.

Orlando Ferrante Jan 13, 2004, 07:32am EST Report Abuse
Here is an interesting update on my "Serious Error" message...

I was forced to install a new Hard Drive (WD 36.7G Raptor) and I had to install Windows XP pro from scratch. I configured the on-boaard SoundMAX instead of using my Sound Blaster Live!. Let me first say that although the Sound Blaster Live! card I have is old, it still out performed the on-board SoundMAX on my Asus P4P800-Deluxe. I loaded Windows, installed the latest .INF utility from intel and then proceeded to install the Video drivers as well as other components on the motherboard. I then installed C&C Generals and applied the 1.7 patch. I ran the game and made sure I could run it without errors. Then I rebooted and installed Zero Hour. Applied the 1.02 Patch and played a Skirmish game on the Twilight map setting up two teams; 1 Team of 4 (HARD) AI opponents, and the other team was myself and 2 HARD AI Allies. I was able to complete the game without a "Serious Error" message however, the game stuttered and lagged horribly in the middle to the point where I didn't want to play anymore. I don't believe that the Sound Card, video card Hard drive, or memory have anything to do with this. I have already tried 1 single memory stick, and I have already tried disabling Hyper Threading. THIS IS JUST BAD CODE!!! EAGAMES, will you PLEASE have some dignity and admit there is a problem. Is that asking too much?

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 07:41am EST Report Abuse
hear hear

Jack Axonitis Jan 13, 2004, 09:42am EST Report Abuse
I just want to say that it must be the coding in Zero Hour that causes my hardware to freeze after ten - fifteen minutes! I have no problem with Generals... Hell, the game also freezes when I start up the game and do nothing at all!!!

My hardware has been fully and thoroughly tested by my vendor! They could not find anything, but they replaced my motherboard to be sure.

Now I will reinstall the games with this new motherboard.

My specs:
Intel P4 2.8C HT enabled
Asus P4P800 deluxe (bios 10.14)
Maxtor 160 GB SATA
2x 512 MB Dane-Elec 3200 dual
Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB
Windows XP Home + SP1

Installed all the latest drivers.

Also I sent an e-mail to ASUS and to EA. ASUS replied with "disable HT and turn off the hardware acceleration for the soundcard". EA replied that "I've to look into their FAQ-database".

Orlando Ferrante Jan 13, 2004, 09:58am EST Report Abuse
I've already tried everything Asus has advised (turning off Hyperthreading, and lowering Sound Card & Video Card Acceleration) and it doesn't help. EA Games actually told you to look at their Q&A or message board? That is pitiful! They have lost my respect totally. I am going to call them tonight and really blast them. I've had it.

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 12:19pm EST Report Abuse
By the way....I wasn't implying the fault is due to a soundcard or its driver as such...... more that the coding problem WITHIN Zero Hour only manifests itself in certain scenarios ie with a specific piece of hardware, hence my suggestion of possibly a brand of soundcard as the missing link? I can rest comfortably with the fact its not CPU/memory/graphics or motherboard related because my two PC's are so different in these respects. Soundcards, however, are similar in both machines....hence the only thing I can see in common between them. ALthough there is the OS I suppose (XP pro).

At the end of the day if there are people out there who CAN play the game normally then it must be something along those lines right? My mate in Canada (I'm in UK) has Zero Hour and says he's never had a single issue with the game. He's even considering sending me his discs so that I can reinstall from them just to see if it makes a difference.

The fact that the EA Q/A board hardly makes reference to this problem other than a skimpy mention of the "serious error" issue makes me seethe. Im personally guessing they know all about it but dont know whats causing it or else it will take so much work to correct that they cant be bothered, and are keeping as quiet as possible about it so as not to put people off buying it in the first place. Its the most cost effective form of problem management....smother it and carry on taking peoples money because by the time they find out they have a problem it's too late....you've got them by the balls.

Long term, however, it may backfire as people lose faith in the brand and stop buying the games.

GODWHEAT Jan 13, 2004, 12:55pm EST Report Abuse
RIGHT MOUSE CLICK on my computer xp users
chg your error reporting to notify me or something like that.
stop it from haulting on all errors.
don't remember the exact tab i will look tonight .
using nt 5 right now and its not the same.
monkeying with that setting fix almost all my problems including war3 frozen toilet fatal war3 errors.
and crashing back to desktop with mem leaks etc...

hope it helps
will repost with more info.

SEE PROFILE FOR 3 MACHINE SPECS
Orlando Ferrante Jan 13, 2004, 01:05pm EST Report Abuse
Andy I agree with you on a few points. Maybe there is some link between the Sound Cards being used. Both my computers are different from Motherboard/Video Card(NVIDIA) but they have the same Sound Card (Sound Blaster Live!). The only problem is that in my latest test, I decided to leave out the Sound Blaster when I re-installed Windows XP on my new drive, and elected to use the on-board Sound card. Although the Game did not crash with the "serious error" message it lagged horribly with the Skirmish game I created. I realize that the on-board sound is inferior to the Sound Blaster, but still, it was a different sound device.

I also noticed something interesting from a few people I know who have the game and have not one complaint. It appears that they are not playing in Skirmish mode, or even going online for that matter. It was like they alomost didn't even know you could do that. Anyway, I explained to them what was happening, and they are supposedly trying it tonight. If I play this game in Missions or online, I seem to have no troubles. My question, is how people out there really play the game in Skirmish with a setup of 4v4 or 3v4 and your the only human player like I and so many other people in this forum do? Could this be the reason why so many more people are not speaking up?

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 01:38pm EST Report Abuse
It's a very good point and one I was considering myself...... when I play the Zero hour campagn game it does play OK (bar the one Serious error crash that I had which I mentioned in my first post). I havent played it online but do get the lagging/freezing issue in Skirmish and in multiplayer over my LAN.

So yes, maybe it is an issue related solely to those game modes and that in fact it affects every single user and not just some of us. Its just that if that were true I would have thought that the uproar would be even greater than it already is.

What we need is someone to come on here and tell us that they play in Skirmish with no issues to dispel that idea.

I dont need multiple opponents by the way, it happens to me with just one opponent, regardless of difficulty level.....although I havent tried a smaller map yet I always play the big 8 player maps as i prefer the extra space to manouver. Maybe I'll try a 2 player map later and see if its any different.

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 02:27pm EST Report Abuse
OK, just played a 2 player map......I deliberately didnt rush in but dragged game out so I had masses of structures/units etc and no problems whatsoever.

So it does seem limited to the bigger maps even if you only have 1 opponent on them. I'll continue to try different maps and see what size kicks off the problem. Maybe it is a bug with the maps themselves? Is that possible?

ROY G Jan 13, 2004, 02:53pm EST Report Abuse
Try disabling the antivirus while running games.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.