Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 593 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 09:18am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Chris Dorian May 23, 2004, 04:04pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
Hi all, seems that a lot of people are having problems with this game.

My problems are overall poor performance in the game in all maps, but to an extreme measure in twilight (i am unable to play this map at all). I also get randon serious error message, and mismatch.

My system is fairly good and way above the required spec. I can only play on low resoultion 800x600 and detail levels set to low.

(1)James indicated that he thinks a lack of power to the high end graphics card could be a possible cause.
I am not ruling this out although it does seem unlikely in my case, as i have now tried 3 different power supplies and the extreme lag still occurs exactly the same in each case. Maybe all 3 werent upto scratch for my 9800pro, but all exhibit the same problem at exactly the same time make me doubt the power is at fault. The best one i tried was a Q-tec 550W.

(2)Another possible cause was problems with the memory, lack of, and dual-channel mode.
In my case, i have only tried running in dual channel mode, both with 2x256mb, 2x512mb, and all of them together = 1.5Gb. Same problem.
I will try running in single channel mode both with single 256mb and 512mb dimms.

(3)I dont suspect lack of memory to the problem as i have 1.5Gb and i get extreme lag after about 5mins on twilight flame with me and 7 hard ai. I doubt that all 1.5Gb can be used up so frightenely quickly.
Plus i also have a large amount set up in virtual memory.

(4)My cpu doesnt overheat. And another curious thing is that when i get the lag to point when it is unplayable i can pause the game, minimise it, and then run anything i feel like quickly and without problems. This makes me believe that my system is nowhere near maxed out, and the problem is not hardware related (with the exception of my graphics card).

(5)To test my graphics card (maybe lack of power to it), i played C&C to the point where i cant play anymore because of lag (skirmish mode, twilight). I then close then game and quickly ran 3dmark03, with no problems. Although this is not conclusive, i think this can rule out the graphics card maxing out.
(p.s i get ~5700 in 3dmark03)

(6)The refresh rate of the monitor makes no difference whatsoever, problems recreated exactly. That rules that out.

(7)Another possible problem could be driver related. I have ruled that out. I have tried a fresh install of windows xp on a different hdd with new fresh drivers. Problem recreates again exactly.

Ok so my conclusion are this...

I will try number (2) i.e runing is single channel mode.

That leaves, in my opinion, these possible reasons...

The game is flawed and is causing the problems.
My graphcis card needs more power.
My graphics card is faulty.

I am going to return my graphcis card for testing to see if it faulty.
As explained earlier i have my doubts about the power issue.

My final idea, is that the game is flawed but not to such a massive extent that everyone who plays it comes across the problems. But that the flaws in the game maximise greatly any/all minor faults/flaws in all aspects of the the particular system, causing the effect of lag any all such related problems.

My system

2.8Ghz P4 800fsb
Asus P4P800-VM
1.5Gb DDR400 Twinmos (256+512+256+512)
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro 128Mb
Windows xp pro sp1 (all critical updates)
Seagate Barracuda Sata 80Gb Hdd

Chipset, bios, drivers all most recent

Power Supply at moment 400W Jeantech.

Please feel free to correct/advise/inform me on anything in this post. Email welcome.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
j m May 23, 2004, 06:02pm EDT Report Abuse
hey.. i want you to try upping your game speed to about 36-40.. tell me if there are any changes.. and make sure your cas settings on your ram are set to an actually value and to auto.. i have no heard that that can cause problems.. and this new joke of joke dual channel ram that isn't any faster then the regular ram..

Chris Dorian May 23, 2004, 06:40pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi there.

I was just about to post what i found out. I tried moving my game speed upto 38 cause i read that somewhere in this thread. The lag started at virtually the exact same point as it did on game speed of 30.
(I tested on twilight with 7 hard ai and myself)

As for the memory dual/single channel issue, here is what i found.

(1)In single channel mode with 256mb in first slot and 512mb in second slot = The game wouldn't start, the picture would come up on the desktop, but then it would freeze.
I got it to start by setting my desktop resolution to 800 x 600 as i have in the game, and then i started the game by opening then closing the cd-rom with the disk in so that the menu came up and then i selected play game.

As for the game lag (same condtions as before), it was exactly the same.

(2)Single channel mode with only one 256mb slot installed = I noticed the game actually loaded quicker without the problems of before, however the in game menus were slower, and as before the game lag started at virtually exactly the same point.

Thanks for the point about memory settings. In my bios all the parameters (cas latency etc) are set to be configured by SPD. I can override this and set my cas latency manually. I noticed when set by SPD, cas latency is set to 2.5clocks which is the latency of my memory.

Are you saying i should override SPD and set my latency manually to 2.5?

Chris Dorian May 23, 2004, 06:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok just something extra people might be interested in.

I have just taken out my 9800pro 128Mb, and replaced it with my old GeforceMX440. Strange thing is, i get exactly the same game performance as i did with the 9800pro.

j m May 23, 2004, 07:07pm EDT Report Abuse
yeah had a freind that used sisoft sandra.. said his ram was cas 3 so he manually set his ram in the bios to cas 3 and its worked ever since.

Chris Dorian May 24, 2004, 10:10am EDT Report Abuse
ok set my cas latency to 2.5. Still the same.

sandra said my memory is 2.5-3-3-8 so thats what i set to in bios.

I am running on my geforce mx440 now. I can play hostile dawn with myself and 5 hard ai will hardly no lag, but i cant play twilight with the same number of enemies, i get exactly the same lag at the same point as with my 9800pro.

It looks like im out of ideas. Send my 9800pro back for testing, i expect it will come back ok.

thanks for suggestions

Chris Dorian May 24, 2004, 11:35am EDT Report Abuse
Ok i have solved my Zero Hour problems.

As someone suggested earlier in the thread it was the 1.02 patch for zero hour.

I uninstalled zero hour, deleted its remaining folders, reinstalled it, didnt updated and viola it works great.

I can now play twilight flame with 7 hard ai, with virtually no lag whatsover, and this is running with my Geforce MX440!

I cant see any difference in the number of unit the ai make in version 1.0 compared to 1.02, maybe 1.02 does create more units but that doesnt explain the huge performance gap on the same system. Plus the fact that i got exactly the same lag with my 9800pro on 1.02, if it was just more units being created the 9800pro would have been able to handle it.

The difference is absolutely massive!

I await the return of my 9800pro and see if that also plays fast on version 1.0. I am expecting it will, and just that but i could have good resolutions and game detail.

I was thinking that a way round it may be to not updated normal generals, install zero hour update that to 1.02 and see if that works. I was thinking that maybe both being updated causes the problems. Have no idea if this will work. If it doesn't i will be well p**sed, as i wont be able to play zero hour online except for the small maps.

I am going to e-mail/post EA with my findings. Doubt they will respond though.

So now i am considering how some people can run with no problems with 1.02 and some other people cant. My only possible explaination is that there maybe 2 versions or more of 1.02 and its just luck which one you got. Or it maybe the way you update it, direct through the game or via a file.

These are just theories now, but the 1.02 patch is definetily the culprit.

Thanks

j m May 24, 2004, 06:17pm EDT Report Abuse
umn.. lag is pretty normal for an intense game.. i have a 9800xt and run a decent score in 3dmark and i have a fast system 2 athlon 2400's.. and 2 gigs of ram.. and i still get jumpy game play.. its because i crank my graphics.. the only way you don't get that is if you turn map animations off and high particle effects.. and that is not even what this thread is about..... lagging is not even a problem.. its just a setting.. its restarting thats that problem..

Chris Dorian May 25, 2004, 10:21am EDT Report Abuse
I dont know about others but the lag actually causes the serious error or mismatch which ends the game on my machine. No lag results in no error, so if you can elimate the lag you can elimate the serious error.

Ok an intense game could be expected to cause some lag when loads of stuff is going on.
But the difference between v1.0 and v1.02 is massive.
As i said before i can run v1.0 on a geforcemx440, 7 hard ai, with very little lag thus no serious error incident.
But on v1.02 even on my 9800pro i get lag to the point of the game virtually stopping, with a lot of serious error incidents.

In my opinion there is something in v1.02 that is causing this problem for my system.
I observed both v1.0 and v1.02 on twilight with 7 hard ai, and there is very little difference ( i could'nt see any difference) between the number of units created.

So on the same settings, in the same game conditions, with the same number of ai, v1.02 lags to the point of it being unplayable, and v1.0 runs very smoothy even with a much much poorer graphics card.

I am not saying that this is the case for everyone, i am just saying that this is the case with my system.

I am only posting this so that other people who may be experiencing the same problem could sovle it the same way i have.

Orlando Ferrante May 25, 2004, 10:52am EDT Report Abuse
Very interesting. I am going to try uninstalling and re-installing without the 1.02 patch. Let me ask you a question...do you patch CNC Generals to 1.07 before you install Zero Hour?

Chris Dorian May 25, 2004, 12:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi, I thought about that.

I tried not patching generals at all, then patching zero hour to 1.02.
I found that it still lagged on ZH v1.02 without generals being patched.

It didnt make any difference, on my system, as soon as i patched ZH to v1.02 i got the extreme lag.

The only way i got rid of the lag was not to patch ZH, regardless if generals was patched to 1.7 or not.

You could try experimenting with the different 1.02 ZH patches that are on the website (i.e America version, german version etc).

I also tried patching directly from the game, and by patching by downloading one of the files from the website then patching. Same result.

Andy Cr May 25, 2004, 12:56pm EDT Report Abuse
I dont want to p**s on anyone's fire but if you read page 4 of this thread I already said that the zero hour patches were a major issue but after more testing later went on to say that the root problem went far deeper than that and affects Generals on its own regardless of Zero Hour.

j m May 25, 2004, 01:04pm EDT Report Abuse
i have question for you guys.. i installed plain genrals.. why would i patch that if i don't useit.. the only reason its onmy system is because it is need for zerohour... i installed generals.. then i installed zerehour.. and only updated zero hour with the auto download patch when i went online... dont see a reason why should have had to patch generals.. cuz it has no effect on zero hour. And if you graphics are turned up just turn them down if it stops the lag.... if you can't have the best graphics don't.. why sacrafice gameplay fors**tty performance.. i know on big games i'll use low quality just so it plays smooth..

Orlando Ferrante May 25, 2004, 01:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Because....the graphics settings have NOTHING to do with the "lag". It can be on High, Medium, Low, or minimum options, it doesn't matter on my system. It happens mostly on the Twilight Flame map as well as a few others. The maps in Generals worked flawlessly before Zero Hour.

Back to the Zero Hour Twlight Flame issue...I did find that if I attack the Computer AI's quicker and destroy them faster, this reduces the lag and eventual serious error message. The longer it takes you to build your base and army and then attack, the more likely the error would occurr.

Chris Dorian May 25, 2004, 02:06pm EDT Report Abuse
Yep exactly as for me. The graphics setting have nothing to do with the lag.

I get it regardless with the 1.02 patch.
I tried with 9800pro on 800x600 and low detail and still get it at exactly the same place.

Unlucky for me with twilight-zero hour i havent got enough time to kill the opponents before the lag starts, it happens as soon as i build 1 or 2 units.

I usually build power plant, supply, then airfield/war factory, as a build my units from the airfield/war factory the lag starts, gets quickly worse until its unplayable.

Yeah I read what you wrote Andy, thats why i tried ZH in v1.0.
Only with me I have had no problems with original generals, and have no problems with ZH v1.0, only v1.02 which makes it lag thus serious error, and with twilight unplayable.

Orlando Ferrante May 25, 2004, 02:12pm EDT Report Abuse
I heard rumors that EA Games is trying to move CNC to XBOX platform only...has anyone else heard this?

Chris Dorian May 25, 2004, 02:40pm EDT Report Abuse
I hadn't heard that. Be a shame cause the games are really good.

Chuckie Miller Jun 02, 2004, 05:58pm EDT Report Abuse
Good day all, I have sat here for the last couple of days viewing your comments. Learnt alot. BUT. Was there an actual fix to this problem? I just purchased this application recently ( last week ), only because the the copy I had with a crack, worked wonderfully. Now that I bought the game, and installed it, I get that damn error. It starts fine. After the "ole dude" chats, and the game goes into start mode, my PC restarts. I might add, I have not changed a thing with my PC.

I am open for suggestions

Thanks
Chuckie

Chris Dorian Jun 03, 2004, 09:49am EDT Report Abuse
There is no fix that i am aware of if you want to play on the internet.
If you are playing offline you need to have only the original unpatched v1.0 zero hour.

I can play online with ZH v1.2 but only on some maps.

For normal generals or zero hour, with error on start up, i dont know of a fix.

Shane Spina Jun 03, 2004, 09:59am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Guys sorry i havent posted for awhile... i have since installed 1.02 patch and re cracked 3 of my Machines and they seem stable... the are still laggy but no crashes as yet... i had to completely uninstall the ZH delete all the directories left reinstall ZH apply the 1.02 patch and then use the new No CD crack...

I havent done all my machines as i have been busy lately ;)

So far we have tried 3 humans and the rest hard AI and no crashes... as well as single Human and 7 Hard AI

I will prolly update the rest over the weekend

Cya's

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.