Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 614 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 09:30am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Chris Dorian Jun 03, 2004, 11:42am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
Can you play online with the no-cd crack?
And where did you get it?

I tried one to see if it makes it more stable and found that i couldnt play any online games.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Shane Spina Jun 03, 2004, 11:59am EDT Report Abuse
i dont play online.. we only LAN so i havent tried.. where did i get the crack? am i allowed to say lol... i got it from a games site.. MegaGames i think.. my email is psp_computers@hotmail.com if u want to email me or add me to ur messenger.. this is a business messenger account so dont everyone add it lol

cya

j m Jun 03, 2004, 01:12pm EDT Report Abuse
U could always just used Alcohol 120%... rip the cd to your harddrive and mount it as a fake cd... perfectly legal.. use safedisc 2/3 when ripping and u can use the game without the cd being in.. but you still have to have the cd on the computer :(.... oh well..

And i still have not crashed in any game... always been able to play online.... i think its just the ram and the video card.....

I noticed someone post that he did check the cas settings using sisoft sandra... he set his ram directly to 2 and now his game and computer are stable... its worth checking out... and as much as you all think.. its not the game...

Cus if it was.. i'd be crashing too..... just think abou that.

kostas kerkiraios Jun 10, 2004, 01:46am EDT Report Abuse
ok Shane Spina i wrote down your email and i will contact you soon
kisses

praz miigf Jun 14, 2004, 04:30am EDT Report Abuse
Yea... man I had the same problem, it happened one day , it said serious error, and I couldn't proceed :( . I tried everything, and I found a 1.02 patch. I updated it, and since itz laggy from the cd, I used the crack. It succesfully came to the "start screen" and everything went blank,( i thought it was loading), and all of the sudden it went back 2 the desktop!!!!! I was soooo angry!!!!! I copied the original game.dat, and generals.exe, but still nothing!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

----
Specs:

Windows XP Pro, with Serivce Pack 1a installed.
256MB DDR RAM
1.47GHZ~ AMD 1700+
40 GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
GeForce 2 MX 100/200
gigabyte motherboard
Creative SoundBlaster PCI128
NEC DVD Burner,
Liteon CD-RW
Liteon DVD-ROM
Belkin Optical Mouse
Standard Keyboard
----

j m Jun 14, 2004, 08:57am EDT Report Abuse
u said after you found the 1.02 patch.. the only patch i have ever installed is the auto update because it doesn't include as much... i've never updated it seperatly... and i can run generals all day and all night and never lockup.... and i never did anything with the regular generals installation either.. never updated that just left it how it was.. i konw some people have upgrade that as well.. well zerehour for some reason use's files from it.. i tried deleting the directory for just generals and it uses every major key file for the game... so maybe try doing a clean install on the originoal generals and then just don't do anything with it.. just install zerehour..and then go to a an online multiplayer game and download the update it says .

Snake Pliskan Jun 21, 2004, 01:42pm EDT Report Abuse
I have read with interest(through 12 pages) and some surprise(cocky ' know it alls' ) as I have been having the same problems.I have been playing this game problem free except for the lagging for as long as it has been out.I have never played online.Always skirmish.I have had AMD 900,768 ram,Ati 9000 pro card and sound blaster audigy with a 350 watt PSU,with never a problem.I have upgraded in the last 6 months to P4 2.8 gig puter.I'm using a ASUS P4P8x mobo which I see alot of the people having probs have the same series.I'm using the same 9000 pro card from ATI.I have used the latest drivers(as of June 20/04) but found flickering was occuring and have gone back 2 maybe 3 updates till it stops.I do not have the control panel for ATI installed.After reading about it last night and some additional searching, I kept coming across anti-aliasing problems.I could not find an area in the control panel(when I had it installed) for the video card to turn it off.Today I have since upgraded to SP2 for windows and deleted the zero hour folder in documents.Played one skirmish game.........it crashed after 10 minutes.Then I went to the documents folder that it made, went to options and changed anti-aliasing from a 1 to a 0,also changed the speed to 40.Just played a game on skirmish,the same map you guys have been talking about,forget the name of it,and it didn't crash.I was trying to get it to crash but it didn't.I was hoping after reading the 12 pages that someone would have the answer but obviously not.I really like this game,Obviously there is a code problem in it.I have never upgraded.I am using 1.0........Just throwing my 2 cents in there.All that PSU stuff is crap too.....stick with the problem.......

j m Jun 21, 2004, 02:38pm EDT Report Abuse
so did you actually do the online update.. and under ati's control panel if you clikc on either 3d options or 3d effects or opengl or whatever option ithas it has a perfomance slider... put that all the way to perfomance.. that should turn off the antialiasing.. but you have to have the control panel installed.. your just looking for more problems if you don't...umn... also the my documents folder has nothing to do with the game.. its only the saved maps , maps, and saved game data from beating skirmish games and stuff.. i always save that to cd so when i reintsall generals all my ranking and scores are still there.

Its not a coding problem.. because like i've said countless times before i have never had the problem, or any alike with generals or zerehour outside of the heat effect screwing up on my old 9700 pro.. but i have an 9800 xt 256 now...

Its all settings, upgrades, or mods.

Try retiming your cas settings, check using sisoft sandra and see if there correct in the bios. Then also turn of your fastwrite.

Chris Dorian Jun 22, 2004, 11:16am EDT Report Abuse
Snake,

How did you disable your anti-aliasation? You said you went to the zero hour documents folder, is there a file in there that you changed the ant-aliasing with?

Like you i have had no problems with version 1.0, its just the 1.2 patch that causes the problem for me.

As for the Ati control panel i have never had that on, and had no problems with any other games.
Doesn't the control panel just allow a quick way to change the resolution etc? I cant see how this would effect games if it wasnt on.
In fact EA suggest you turn off all background applications.

j m Jun 22, 2004, 01:37pm EDT Report Abuse
In the my documents folder containing the zerohour data folder.. theres a file called (options.ini) the first listing in it is antialiasing.. usually set to 2 or 3... i would guess turning it off all the way would be 0...

Snake Pliskan Jun 22, 2004, 07:51pm EDT Report Abuse
Upon further playing time the game did crash.Back to square one.Completely uninstalled both games.Completely removed any trace of the game in computer.Used a reg cleaner for that.Then I installed both games in my second drive away from the OS.I have just played a game on Twilight flame with four hard,and the game didn't crash.Not saying this is the answer(obviously there is no answer)but it hasn't crashed .........yet.It did get laggy at times,and I thought maybe it was going to f**k up.I have no time right now to play more.I have nightshift in an hour.....

2.8 gig p4
asus p4p8x
radeon 9000 pro
512 ram
xp sp2
v 1.0 no upgrades

j m Jun 22, 2004, 10:47pm EDT Report Abuse
i can already tell you its your asus board doing it ... its the ram cas settings. double check over them with sisoft sandra or try upping them or lowering them especially if your overclocking. I garentee you it will fix your problem.

Chris Dorian Jun 23, 2004, 08:59am EDT Report Abuse
Could somebody post the exact text for the antialising in the options fine in the documents folder of zero hour.

My optoins file doesnt have antialising anywhere, it starts of with..

BuildingOcclusion = no

Thanks

Snake Pliskan Jun 23, 2004, 10:25am EDT Report Abuse
Chris.....the options file........

AntiAliasing = 1
BuildingOcclusion = yes
DrawScrollAnchor =
DynamicLOD = yes
ExtraAnimations = yes
GameSpyIPAddress = 0.0.0.0
Gamma = 68
HeatEffects = no
IPAddress = 0.0.0.0
IdealStaticGameLOD = High
LanguageFilter = false
MaxParticleCount = 3000
MoveScrollAnchor =
MusicVolume = 55
Resolution = 1024 768
Retaliation = yes
SFX3DVolume = 79
SFXVolume = 71
ScrollFactor = 69
SendDelay = no
ShowSoftWaterEdge = yes
ShowTrees = yes
StaticGameLOD = Custom
TextureReduction = 1
UseAlternateMouse = no
UseCloudMap = yes
UseDoubleClickAttackMove = no
UseLightMap = yes
UseShadowDecals = yes
UseShadowVolumes = yes
VoiceVolume = 70

James I'm not familiar with the cas settings.....help me with them...........I'm not overclocking

Chris Dorian Jun 25, 2004, 09:53am EDT Report Abuse
I think i read your have a Asus motherboard.

I have an Asus P4P800-VM and changing the cas latency did nothing, apart form one cas setting with which my computer would nt start.

Anyways if you want to try it you will need to enter the bios of your computer.

Press Del on start up during the POST and before windows loads, this should get u into the bios.
Then you need to navigate to the Advanced page, fitst menu to right of Main, and then go down to Chipset, 2nd one down in my bios. Enter the Chipset menu and you should have a option saying "Configure DRAM Timing by SPD".

Disable this, and another set of options should appear, one of which should be similar to "DRAM CAS# Latency [2.5 Clocks]" the number of clocks will be specific to your ram and could be different.

Select that option and you can change the number of clocks for your ram cas latency, you can try the different options 2, 2.5 or 3. Remember to exit and save bios each time you change it (F10).

If your computer fails to load windows on one of the settings you can always restart your computer and change it back in the bios.

Your bios may be slightly different to mine so dony worry if the options are titled slighty differently.

Andy Cr Jun 25, 2004, 10:20am EDT Report Abuse
This wont do any good. You only need to mess with your CAS settings when you're overclocking and trying to squeeze the last drop of performance out of your RAM.

Configure by SPD is the deafult and stands for Serial Presence Detect. Modern RAM has an extra chip on board that tells the BIOS what the official rated specs are for the RAM chip and the BIOS will then use these settings by default. They are safe settings and wont cause a crash. Forcing your settings higher than your RAM or system can take will cause instability or a complete lock up requiring a BIOS reset using a jumper on board most likely.

If you are gonna play with it, remember that the lower the number you enter the faster (and more unstable) your system will become. In terms of performance you'll see very little real world difference (ie not benchmarking) but stability will likely be affected greatly. Make sure you take a note of ALL your BIOS settings first becuase if you do lock up and need to reset then all settings will revert to their default settings and this may cause you issues if you cant remember what to change some of them back to.

It's not rocket science but can be a pain in the arse if you don't have a clue what youre doing.

Chris Dorian Jun 25, 2004, 11:37am EDT Report Abuse
Yep it did nothing for me concerning the problems with this game. I think the suggestion was that Asus motherboards incorrectly set the ram setting using SPD.
But i have not experienced this, and setting them manually made no difference to the game.

Snake Pliskan Jun 26, 2004, 01:17am EDT Report Abuse
I hate to say it guys but.....Got p**sed at my puter yesterday and formatted the bitch.Loaded only windows xp sp1 with no updates,ati drivers,symantec corporate security,(running),mcafee firewall plus(running)and generals and zero hour,no update,and direct x 8.1.And no crashing!!!!!!!! I was not connected to the net.I will load one program and update at a time and play a game on twilight with 3 hard and me.If it's gonna crash it will with this setting.I was at a point the other day when it wouldn't even load the game.Man was I p**sed.I'll report back my findings.My computer whiz buddy says I should have brought it to him right away.Too stubborn!!!

j m Jun 26, 2004, 04:12am EDT Report Abuse
why the hell are you running security programs if your not connected to the net.. protect yourself from them power line virus's?

j m Jun 26, 2004, 04:13am EDT Report Abuse
and another thought thats so obvious your stupid... you aren't connected to the internet.. which means you haven't insatlled the update at which point alot of other people started to have problems.. so chances are it will start working properly up until you install the patch..

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.