Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 448 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:28am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Snake Pliskan Jun 26, 2004, 07:38am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
First of all dickhead......the modem was f**ked up and it wouldn't connect to the net.Second of all,maybe it is the firewall, or the virus detecter that is f**king it up,or maybe one of the updates.I want to play connected to the net without stopping any services!Just like it did before........for years.Get your f**king head out of your ass!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate people like you!!!!!!!!!!.Cant tell you anything..............you already know everything!. And another thing that makes you so f**king stupid....I never updated my game .......ever.........I have never played on the net...........ever........and why do you think I ended up here??????????shit for brains?????????Cause it f**king crashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........You'll be here for ever..........I wont!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
j m Jun 26, 2004, 09:34am EDT Report Abuse
naw i only come here to see if random thoughts ever come to prove why this game crashes for everyone else.. never has for me yet. Ever. But running a background program like a firewall isn't going to crash the game because i used to have the internet connection firewall going and it should have caused a game lockup.. but then that woud only happen if there was internet traffic.

And you reallly need to settle on the words man.. geez.. anyways

Around the time this started to happen did you update your graphics drivers at all or directx or any windows critical updates? And what video card do you have.

And also did you install any other software around the time it started to do that.

j m Jun 26, 2004, 09:39am EDT Report Abuse
I had a random thought allthough i have said this before too. Try setting your virtual ram to windows managed.. or about 3 times what your actuall ram count is. I've seen people that were simply running out of memory and it would stop the computer in its tracks. So what exactly is your computer specs , likes ram, harddrive, psu, processor, and mobo.

j m Jun 26, 2004, 09:45am EDT Report Abuse
i actually just did a test to see where my ram leveled out when i played the game.. i got up to around 442 in game when i jumped out with the game still running it hit about 430 still.. so id say if your only running 512mb like most people and your virtual memory is set wrong you could be running your computer right into a corner..

Chris Dorian Jun 26, 2004, 11:06am EDT Report Abuse
Hey Snake do me a favor and install directx 9.0b and see if that affects the game any.

I've always ran it with 9.0b and not tried 8.1. I doubt it will have any affect but might be worth a try.

You can maybe try and install the 1.2 patch, see if gets any worse.

I have massive difference between the 1.0 version and 1.2, 1.0 running fast and smooth and 1.2 running extremely slow under the same conditions.

Maybe you could confirm that the 1.2 patch has a big negative affect on your system too?

I wonder what could your computer mate do, if he fixes somthing let me know. I know a bit about computers, and have tried heaps of stuff with no affect, even had to a store for complete testing.

Brian Stewart Jun 26, 2004, 12:39pm EDT Report Abuse
direct x should not be a problem.
the 1.2 patch was not a problem for me.

any of you with 1024 mb of ram or more having the problem?
I have 1024, no problem.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Chris Dorian Jun 26, 2004, 12:57pm EDT Report Abuse
I have 1.5Gb of DDR400.
Radeon 9800pro
2.8Ghz P4 800Fsb
Sata Seagate Barracuda.

Nicholas Lizarraga Jun 26, 2004, 05:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Snake,

I believe you are 100% correct, that is the only way I have been able to run Generals as well. A clean install, and I did not update my video drivers eaither. I even loaded the patch and I could still run it. Once I updated my video drivers or some other update it started locking up ever since. I even tried loading the game in another directory on a different drive, but I get the same error. Battle for Middle Earth they say is going to have the same engine. I am praying they resolve all of the problems they have with Generals.

j m Jun 27, 2004, 04:57pm EDT Report Abuse
im just curious.. but would having your harddrives set to PIO or DMA have a difference on either or... its something i haven't heard mentioned.. i mean new drivers can conflict with anything so thers a thought.

Chris Dorian Jun 27, 2004, 06:23pm EDT Report Abuse
Doesnt PIO take up loads more processing power than DMA?

Snake Pliskan Jun 27, 2004, 09:57pm EDT Report Abuse
Direct x 9 b is not the problem.Installed and runs fine.The video driver I'm using right now is ati-6.14.10.0237.
there is a bit of flickering happening(little bit) but will play with the drivers later.I have a sound blaster audigy card installed with web update 2 with no problems.Hard drives are set to dma(don't even know what that is) it default in the reg.Been working this weekend so haven't had time(except to play when I get home).You guys have any mods installed?.Installed one last night and it wouldn't even start.Was zero hour reborn.Any questions fire away.

j m Jun 27, 2004, 10:24pm EDT Report Abuse
that just don't make any sense.....

Chris Dorian Jun 28, 2004, 10:18am EDT Report Abuse
Ok, thanks snake. It just seems Zero Hour doesnt want to work properly on my system, nothing i can do about it.

j m Jun 28, 2004, 10:44am EDT Report Abuse
have you trried upping the voltage .1-.2 on either your agp slot or ram or processor? Maybe that will work, some people have use that to fix similar problems.

Daniel L Jun 28, 2004, 06:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello!!
I got this stupid error message to, but my computer also closing down other 3d games.
I bought my computer only for gaming and now a cant :(

What is it? please help me!!!!

can it be the ram-memory? i have elixir pc3200U-30330 512mb'
is that a low-clas-memory?

one more thing.. does anyone have this problem with win98 or 2000??

// Daniel

Mollvadmollvad@hotmail.com

j m Jun 28, 2004, 09:26pm EDT Report Abuse
first off did it do it straight away put together.. or did it gradually come into this.. and curious but what are the ratings on your powersupply...? they should be on a sticker on the side of it

Orlando Ferrante Jun 29, 2004, 10:20am EDT Report Abuse
Here we go again...

I am the originator of this thread and I will post my specs yet again. Once again, CNC Generals ran fine on my computers...no errors, lockups, reboots. Zero Hour, however, has serious error message and crash to desktop on certain maps when playing skirmish against AI opponents. Once again, nothing has changed hardware wise on my computers. All of my 3 computers have different video cards, memory, processors, hard drives, power supplies and yet they all get the serious error message with Zero hour when they played perfectly fine with Generals.

I have not noticed the performance issues that most have have with patch 1.02. The serious error message happens for me with or without the 1.02 patch. Twilight Flame seems to be the worst one for producing the error. I did notice that if I destroy at least one of the computer AI's quickly, it reduced the chance of the serious error and it also reduces the "lagging" after 10-15 minutes.

Power supplies have nothing to do with this specific error message because as I have stated, I have three computers each with different power supplies each above 350W. RAM has nothing to do with it because I started out with 512MB (Dual Channel) and upgraded to 1GIG. Tried messing with timings, didn't help. Page file has nothing to do with it, because I set mine to over 4GIG and it still got the message. I even located it to a different drive. It has nothing to do with the graphics settings in the game either. I have everything shut off and everything set to min and it still gets it.

We in this thread have also forgotten about the lame error message log file it produces when the serious error mesage strikes. I posted it in my very first thread. Perhaps there is a clue in there we're all missing. Either way, I love the game and I wish they took more time in testing. And people...we really need to stop calling eachother "stupid" or other offensive names. It is getting rediculous. Lets have a little respect for eachother as we are all trying to get to the bottom of this. I have no explaination for why the game works perfectly for you, James Stewart, and not for most or the rest of us. Maybe its the way we play it, who knows? But this is not a Power Supply issue, voltage issue or anything else like that. There is something else. I only wish we could have found a solution a little sooner.

Windows XP Pro SP1 (updated as of 06-29-04)
Asus P4P800 Deluxe (BIOS 1016)
Antec 480W True PS
Pentium 4 2.4C (No overclocking)
1GIG PC3700 RAM (no overclocking)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (no over clocking)(Catalyst 4.5)
36.7G WD Serial ATA Hard drive
LiteOn DVD-RW +R/+RW

Orlando Ferrante Jun 29, 2004, 10:24am EDT Report Abuse
My computer specs have been somewhat upgraded from my original thread. I didn't realize that. Seems like so long ago when I created this thread. I also made a mistake with James Miller's name and I apologize. I refered to him as James Stewart. Sorry about that James :)

Snake Pliskan Jun 29, 2004, 10:39am EDT Report Abuse
He's been called lots of names...................hehehehe

Joe PE Jun 29, 2004, 11:50am EDT Report Abuse
Hey Orlando,, I just read your posts and it got me thinking. I looked at your serious error message and did a little searching. Some of you may have addressed this before (I didnt want to read the whole forum again) but i'm going to say it anyway.

Last error:
Exception is access violation
WinMain at 4016e0
Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Access address:0000002C was read from.

In the description it talks about a virtual address which leads me to believe its saying virtual memory. The "does not have access" makes me think the page file is full. Many of you will say that right before you have this problem you arent maxed out in memory. But heres the thing, from looking around the web the access address 0000002c sounds like (from what ive read) a physical memory address.
I dunno take it for what its worth, but i dont know if anyone has looked here before. Take a look at the serious error message see if there is anything that sounds like a lead. J

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.