Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 362 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:47am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Snake Pliskan Jun 29, 2004, 10:48pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
Regarding the last message..........Error Messages for Windows is a small utility that will allow you to look up MS Windows error code numbers and display a descriptive message explaining what the numeric code actually means. If you have software programs that produce numeric error codes now you can find out what they really mean.

Error Messages for Windows also provides a facility to display and print all of the error codes and messages defined for your version of MS Windows.

Error Messages for Windows will run on MS Windows XP, Millennium Edition and 98 as well as MS Windows 2000 and 95/NT systems.
here is the link........http://www.gregorybraun.com/MSWinErr.html

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
j m Jun 30, 2004, 08:35am EDT Report Abuse
umn........

onime kyo Jul 07, 2004, 02:27am EDT Report Abuse
i play zero hour with twillight flame and other 8 maps, no crash so far. graphic set to low.
have tried with ati radeon 9200 se with graphic set to high, no crashed also...

my pc specs:
amd athlon xp 2000+
640 ddr 266 ram
asus gforce4 mx440 64mb
msi kt4v...
...a very low end system...

Mike Pearson Jul 07, 2004, 10:04am EDT Report Abuse
Please webmaster can you ban James Miller from posting any more useless attempts at trying to sound like he's helping anyone. After reading through these post, Fred S, who took a more analytical approach to solving this issue, has proved what i believe is the issue - Memory leaks. I have run this game with the max 3gig of memory that my board allows and found that Generals still manages to fill this over a period of time, resulting in the game crashing. A regular memory optimize, although annoying - but not half as annoying as it crashing mid game in a online game, seems to resolve this issue for all the cases i have read.

Quick note, im not one for giving ppl stick for trying to help out but James please stfu and stop talking out of ur arse. Your first posts says this issue has never happened to you and Generals works fine. Go away and spread your geeky gloating words elsewhere.. and get a life, girlfriend etc.

EA sort it out!!

j m Jul 07, 2004, 10:28am EDT Report Abuse
Geez does someone have pms this morning. I only come on here to help. I sometimes get annoyed because people never post back if they actually try when i or other people recommend. But i would go as far as telling me to get off this forum. After all its in the user agreement that your not supposed to slander other people on here or be verbaly ubusive. So why don't you just shut up. And 3 gigs of ram. Generals never uses that much.

I started 4 different computeres up. Each having from 512 to 2 gigs being mine. The most used with absoultely no programs running other then generals and some common background processes.. was maybe between 450-700. The only time i have ever used more then 2 gigs was opening many multimeg jpeg images in photoshop. Or if i am doing a 3-4 day render in cinema 4d. So right there you are talking out of your own ass.

All i said and i really can go back and post it again is that people should check to see if there vram is set to off or system managed. Because even with my computer if i turn off virtual memeory.. the moment my ram gets about 50mbs to where its all used up.. i get a blue screen.

j m Jul 07, 2004, 10:36am EDT Report Abuse
The only thing wrong with this game is the persons system and configuration. Its just a matter of what it is per computer.

Its only one of these listed below because its not windows.

Ram Cas Latency, Ram FSB, Ram Voltage
Agp Voltage
Cpu Voltage
Psu lack of voltage in which case you need a rating of (18a-24a)
Or just a crap ass mobo

Or its a combination of them all. Because after reading every page, on just about every related forum, its always something with the ram, cpu, vcard, or psu. In almost every case thats what it is.

I just put together a new system, the damn thing would reboot on start up after moving the mouse some.. I bet i could have gotten 150 people to say it was xp, but why would 3 different harddrives do the same thing with it. Would would 2 differen kinds of ram and speeds do it. Why would 2 different psu's do the same thing. And if you notice people always say check your drivers, check windows, format and reinstall when 99 percent of the time its hardware misconfiguration or hardware failure..

The board turned out to be bad. But everythng worked.. even managed to run 3dmark03... but the board was fried. The agp would just cause screen artifacts, errors, out of sync messages. And it was a constant loop.

So if you people would just take the time to actually read up and try all this and not just go yeah i tried it.. Bullshit... it took me almost 2 months to fix my 9800 video card problem.. and that was with 2 different psu's, and trying everything else i could think of.

And remember. If it was software, or drivers, why doesn't my comptuer do it. Why doesn't my freinds computers do it. Why doesn't a majority of the crowd and people i play online do it.

Its simply an added volt, timing, hz..... its just gotta be set right.

NOT SOFTWARE......

Orlando Ferrante Jul 07, 2004, 11:09am EDT Report Abuse
I disagree with everything you just stated. Again, I can't explain why it works on yours or other people's computers. The fact of the matter is that I have 3 computers here, all with different hardware configurations, mobo's, memory, CPU's, Power Supplies, and you mean to tell me that all of them, plus my friend's computers are not configured correctly? Come on man. You keep telling us to look over this thread and try the stuff you are mentioning. This is the third or fourth time I'm telling you and everyone else...I have tried all that tweaking. And if it is as you say (configuration), I think it's bull crap that the average consumer needs to tweak voltages, or purchase expensive power supplies, upgrade their motherboards, memory, or CPU just to play this game that by the way, it's standards says our systems either meet or exceeds the game's minimum requirements. Why should the comsumer jeopardize their motherboards, memory and CPU by playing with voltages? Does that make sense? How many of us actually have that kind of money to just replace a motherboard, CPU, or RAM when or if it goes bad? And what about the other thing...EA Games refuses to acknowledge there is a problem? How many people actually have to report this issue to them before they will acknowledge it? 100? 500? 10,000? 1 Million? James, stop using your PC as an example that the game works fine and there is nothing wrong with the code. That's not an accurate measuring stick. When a friend of mine calls me and says their computer game doesn't work, I don't tell them "It works on my computer" and that's it. I try to find out why. Sometimes its the little things you say or the comments you make someone that can make you a helpful, or arrogant person.

Mike Pearson Jul 07, 2004, 11:21am EDT Report Abuse
I HAVE run the system with 3 gig of RAM and it DID fill the memory after a couple of hours stating clearly that this game has memory leaks. Dont disagree with a fact. I have seen hundreds of posts and everyone has the same issue regardless of how much RAM they have. Do you even know what memory leaks means??? stop ,, think ,,, listen. If a application has memory leaks it could fill any amount of ram over time. Stop blabing on about photo shop and that generals doesnt use that much ram. You have know idea what you are going on about.

Orlando Ferrante Jul 07, 2004, 11:46am EDT Report Abuse
I agree with you Mike. I believe this game does have Memory Leaks as well as some other anoying code issues. Especially on the Twilight Flame map. Have you also noticed the little bugs like a phantom Aurora or Mig flying in circles after it has been shot down and you can't do anything with it????? I also noticed a foot soldier floating in air with his arms and legs going...LOL. Yet, CNC Generals was fine. no bugs that I saw, no serious error messages at all. very annoying that an add-on pack could cause so many problems and the manufacturer basically wants nothing to do with you. And here's another thing to think about. They released 7 patches for generals...they have only released 2 for Zero Hour. Why you say? Because Zero Hour is so good and flawless? No, it is probably because they are aware it is so buggy and they figure they devote more time making another add-on pack so they can make even more money.

Mike Pearson Jul 07, 2004, 12:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Just a quick one,

This game doesnt actually crash while playing solo for me, but this might be due to 2 reasons, 1. i do run with a large amount of RAM. And playing against the AI (Artificial incompetence) doesnt generally take too long. This this wont totally disprove the memory leak. I only have this issue while playing online after a period time when it crashes to the desktop. This will crash not just in game but in lobby, mid loading, but only when past the online section.

Anyone have the same issue??

j m Jul 07, 2004, 01:17pm EDT Report Abuse
you know alot of times with these new motherboards you actually do sometimes have to move voltages around and settings around to get stuff to work..thats why the manual says you can.. your not jepordizing anything. it either works or don't...

But its not a windows xp problem.. and none of my freinds have the problem.. nor did our old family computer which doesn't have half of what any of you have... thats why i say its in the configuration of the computer. Or maybe its a program thats being comonly installed thats conflicting with the program.. which is a possibility. But i have never seen zerehour take up that much memory....... are you using a separate music program while playing? running a firewall? virus scanner? or any of that while your playing this game.... cuz i just cannot see how you can use that much memory.... unless you have your video apeture set high then it would use more of the ram for graphics. Its all in the settings...

Mike Pearson Jul 07, 2004, 04:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Its not that generals using all that memory. Initally when you play for 10-20 it only uses around 500mb. The long you play the hard it is switch screens back to the desktop (by harder i mean the disc spins for a period of time and everything seems very sluggest) , then u check the memory usage and it can have risen to 700-800 and so on.

i have a Asus ATI 9800XT 256MB GC, p4 3ghz Chip with stock cooler and fan, Asus P4C800 motherboard. 1gig Cosair 3200 memory, Maxtor SATA HD 320gig 8mb case < setup in a raid 0 config. Sony DVDRW.

I have tried the following.

reinstalling generals,
reinstalling windows,
different HD's
Scan Disk,
Defragged HD,
Closing all process's,
running with HT disabled.
All mother board compatability settings at normal,
Increased Page file,
Increased appeature size to 256mb. and decreasing to 64mb.
under clocking CPU,
Overclocking CPU (changes in voltages)
underclocking Graphics card,
run with case open and several extra fans,.. although temps never get higher than 40 and other v demanding games are fine (Far cry).
Using Direct x 8.1, 9a, 9b.
using all catalyst drivers from ATI website including latest,
run several virus scanners on system,
run spyware removal programs,
run generals at lowest res and all custom settings reduced to minimum,
updated windows from update center,
IE 5, 6 + latest,
Updated generals,
Running with Completly fresh build and absolutly no programs, except essentials, installed.

i have been tinkering with PC's since i can remember and there has only ever been 2 games i have not been able to get running, X2 (doesnt work at all) and Generals (works but crashes) both of which have loads of threads 100's of posts long of similar users having difficulties. In the case of X2 the majority seem unaffected therefore nothing has been done. In generals case when i have asked the same question online a great number of ppl are aware of the problems and 'put up' with it.

j m Jul 07, 2004, 09:42pm EDT Report Abuse
well i don't have crashes.. i've tried every skirmish map including custom ones with all 8 players on hard on 10-50,000 credits and limied wepons.. i cannot recreate anything anyone says.. the only time i've seen problems is with lack of power, wrong cas settings, or something is seriously eating ram space.

Mike Pearson Jul 08, 2004, 04:35am EDT Report Abuse
I too dont have an issue while playing solo, strangley it only happens when playing online. I have played 8player twightlight flame $50K maps fine. Do you ever play online?

adel hannouf Jul 15, 2004, 02:53am EDT Report Abuse
ok guys i solve the problem at me. after a hole 3-4-5 months of reading a searching the net
for problems and solutions about this serious error guess i have no error from now on.
i made format for my drive and installed <win me> , installed vga driver and sound card driver
and nothing else , no zone alarm no norton , and not any program containing codecs or other
things , after that i installed generals, then zero hour and installed the direct x 8.1 from
zero hour cd. i played the game in twilight flame against 6 hard AI skrimish, and no error was
giving at all and i tried other maps and no error giving. i used to play zero hour on
<win98 se> and as usually serious error crash, i even pathed the game to version 1.2 and
updated my drivers sound card and vga and updated the bios and board drivers and scanned
for viruses and changed my ram i even changed my board, but nothing helped.
and i coulden't play zero hour on win xp, the game didint even started it gave me the
error even the game didin't load.
but with win me the game work right with no error, and im not going to install anything
else on win me else but generals zero hour even i won't upgrade direct x to 9.X
and no others games at all.
im gonna leave the system as it is now and enjoy the game and im gonna add another win
to my pc so it will be the best choise. my system specs are: geforce fx 5200 128 ddr,
genius sm value 5 sound card, 512 ram ,2 hardisk each 1 40 gb, 54x cdrom,
pentium 4 2.gh , intel original board <d865perl> . desktop resolution se to 800*600
and i play the game with high quality texture option from the game and from vga
i want for all who's having the serious error and cannot resolve it to try my way
of fixing the game and then let us know if it will help.
all people was talking and i was that win me sucks but for generals zero hour i adore
win me, remember dont install anything else but sound card and vga and the game with it's
direct x 8.1 , and reply to us about the results.
the problem seems to be a conflict with other program or with a registery or i donno why
but its seems to be software problem not hardware
and im glad that im finished with it coz this is the best game everrrrrrrr to play

j m Jul 15, 2004, 09:08am EDT Report Abuse
well unlike you ... were use our systems for everything else and for more then one game and almost everything on my computer requires dx9... so your just lucky that you can be happy with that not up to date system. But for us most can't use win me cuz its not compatible with have the software out. Special Office xp like i use. And thers tons more. That isn't a fix, its just a minor change in os to solve a problem. The fix would be getting it to stabilize in xp, cuz that is the problem. Personally I didn't think 98 would play generals being that old.

adel hannouf Jul 15, 2004, 10:45am EDT Report Abuse
make a partition and install 2 windows so u can choose between them, the first xp and the second me
in the me put generals and use xp for ur rest programs, this wil solve the problem ;)
and also i tried direct x 9 and it worked fine
seems win me is the best for zero hour

j m Jul 15, 2004, 01:06pm EDT Report Abuse
well that must just apply to the people on this forum with the problem.. i hae been asking online in the multiplayer games what people use, what they have and if they have any problems... almost no one uses 98k me, or even xp home.. most are xp pro or 2000. And almost everyone has high amounts of memory and such. So i'd say its just when it becomes problematic that me solves it.. I woudl guess because the implementation of more processes and better graphics algorithms in xp and pro and the newer drivers requires more power and different system compatibilty settings.. me just doesn't crave what xp does.. thats why it works... sure a geo is gonna get better gas mileage.. but its the ferrarri that really has the balls... all depends on what you really think you need.

adel hannouf Jul 16, 2004, 10:12am EDT Report Abuse
and well win 98 doesn't crave what me does, but the game in 98 crashes.
the serious error is a really serious error even ea couldnt find a solution as i guess, even maybe they cant find where is the original problem, this time ea sucked

Benjamin Riddick Jul 22, 2004, 10:32am EDT Report Abuse
The Problem might have to do with the CPU and CPU Fan. I got a program called "MBM5" (you can do a search to find it), to see the temperture of you CPU. if your cpu reaches a high temp, Zero Hour will crash with a serious error. My CPU was running at 64 degrees celcius and I change the my CPU fan to a better one which nows has it at between 49 & 52 degrees celcius and the game hasn't crashed and seems to run a little better. Give it a try and let me know.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.