Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 448 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:59am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
j m Jul 22, 2004, 07:23pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
thats quite a localized lucky ass fix there.. since that didn't work for anyone else on here. Where cooling has been a help its not a fix... and my cpu's run around 98-112*'s farenheit anyways... and thats pretty good for dual mp athlon's. I have a fully integrated heat program on my motherboard and i watch the temps.. the only real thing that goes up is maybe 2 degress on anything.. the ram, processors.. the videocard has its own temp gauge.. and i have one on it.. it normally sits between 106-115 on my guage.. on the computer thats about 68 celsius... and when the game runs it ups to about 122 F on a hot day.. which is like 71 celsius... so temp really isn't the fix.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brian Dinga Jul 23, 2004, 05:35pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello everyone here...
I've been personally investigating a lot of time into this matter myself.

I've emailed EA informing them of the problems I have with this game.
I can assure you it's not RAM
I've replaced both brand and size in my computer many time
It's not the vid card, I've replaced mine
It's not the sound card because I've used my Audigy and my on board to no avail

EA has infact in one email confessed to me that they've been seeing a lot of these incidents. And will NOT be releaseing a patch to fix this problem.

At this time, I think that a complaint with some big government agency might solve this, or a mass sueing takes place.

In all,
I think that it's a Operating System (windows XP)/Zero Hour 1.2 Issue. Unless there is a fan based patch out there that can solve this problem, we'll probably never see this problem fixed.

Brian Dinga Jul 23, 2004, 07:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Okay..
My system Specs
P4 2.8 (HT)
1024 MB RAM Dual DDR (Corsair) @ 433
PERL865 Motherboard
2 HD's (1 SATA)
Radeon 9600 XT
Audigy 2

The solution I found (maybe I uninstalled I and re-installed I haven't played this game in so long) with C&C generals 1.2 was a rather simple one. I'm surprised I didn't try it earlier.

With Windows XP
Choose the C&C Generals zero hour EXE file (generals.exe) and right click on it. Choose compatablitiy and run it under windows ME.

I also turned off fast write (a suggestion towards the beginning of the article) as well. Maybe this is a fluke.. but it worked for me. I was having tones of trouble! Same thing 15 mins and it would crash. I played a whole game for an hour and a bit against 2 Hard AI (1 Hard AI team mate) and No problems!

That was usually an issue.

DAN CAVE Aug 02, 2004, 06:10pm EDT Report Abuse
WELL EVERYONE MAKE OF THIS WHAT YOU WILL!
I'M RUNNING 2 PC'S NETWORKED
PC1 SPEC AMD AHTLON 3200, ASROCK K7S8XE(IT WAS AN ASUS A7N8X DELUX BUT MY ON GOING PROBS WITH THIS DAMN GAME SEEMED TO KILL THE AGP PORT! YET TO GET IT TESTED) CHAINTECH FX5900 XT, 2X 512MB DDR400 KINGSTON VALUE RAM 1X 60GB WD8MB BUFFER HDD 1X 40GB MAXTOR HDD, SB AUDIGY 2 PLAT., DVD ROM , CDRW, PLENTY OF COOLING AND A 550W PSU.
PC2 SPEC AMD ATHLON XP2200 GIGABYTE GA-7ZXE, GF4 MX440, 1X512MB SDRAM. 1X 40GB MAXTOR HDD, DVDROM, 350W PSU THAT CAME WITH THE CASE.

GUESS WHAT?......THATS RIGHT PC1 ALL OF THE ABOVE PROBS IN THIS FORUM AND HERES THE WEIRD BIT.....PC2 RUNS THE GAME WITH HARDLY A BLINK, AND WHATS MORE IT USED TO HAVE A DURON 1300 AND IT RAN THEN AS WELL WHICH THE GAME SAYS WAS UNDER MIN. REQIUREMENTS!
ALSO ANOTHER PC WHICH HAS MY OLD ALBATRON KX400 4XAGP BOARD AMD AHTLON XP2200 AND MY OLD MSI FX5200 AND 512MB 333DDR ALSO SEEMS TO RUNNING Z.H. OK SO MY STEPSON TELLS ME!
SO WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?
THE ONLY CONCLUSION IVE COME TO IS THAT GENERALS AND Z.H. ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MOST OFTHE NEWER HARDWARE THATS COME OUT SINCE THE ORIGINAL ENGINE WAS CODED FOR THE GAME 3 OR SO YEARS AGO, AND EA WONT/CANT MAKE A PATCH THAT WILL SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
FOR ME IVE GIVEN UP AND AM NOW LOOKING FOR ANOTHER GAME TO PLAY WITH MY PALS,
UNLESS ANYONE OUT THERE HAS A CONCRETE FIX, IT SEEMS GET AN OLDER PC TOGETHER AND YOU MAY BE OK WITH THE GAME BUT ON THE NEWER FASTER PCS AROUND NOW FORGET IT!

j m Aug 02, 2004, 10:54pm EDT Report Abuse
everyone call this guy an idiot at once.. its not a new hardware problem.. i have almost all new hardware and never ever but even the most rare occasion have any problem with this game... so don't gimme that its a 3 year ago game.. it was released like a year ago... geezuz... and that me idea.. thats omething to look into

DAN CAVE Aug 03, 2004, 01:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Hmm! how helpful!

DAN CAVE Aug 03, 2004, 01:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Nice and friendly! talk to you in a min James

DAN CAVE Aug 03, 2004, 02:19pm EDT Report Abuse
Oh dear! iv'e awoken a conceited, rude big head! Look James i'm just telling it as i've found it, if you had half the size intelligence of your ego may be you could single handedly write a patch to fix all our problems!
Just so this isn'nt to high brow for you I'LL GO VERY SLOW, GENERALS was reealsed 18 months ago here in the uk on 14/02/2003, Z.H 9-12 months after that, as i said if you read my post thoroughly i was talking about coding for the game ENGINE! which (trust me on this!) is basically the same code for BOTH games, thats why Z.H. is called an expansion pack and cannot be run without Generals being present, and how long do you think it takes to write a game like this? 5 minutes!
Who's the idiot? if you have nothing positive to contribute go play the damn game on your "perfect" system and let the rest of us have an intelligent forum on a subject that affects us and is not an issue for you, so why do you bother? Oh I forgot your the idiot, thats why!

Mohawk Aug 03, 2004, 02:49pm EDT Report Abuse
the problem with zero hour or generals is hardware based but the problem is intermintant, me and my friends all have top of the range comps and we have these problems now and again but that is the generals engine for you, many people have problems many people dont, only thing that has ever seemed to help is a) never use a no cd crack b) never use a fake serial. i dont know why but these seem to work.

Systems specs:

Intel Core 2 QUAD LGA775 Q6600 G0 @ 2.80GHz
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
2GB Corsair XMS2-6400C4 DDR2 Dual Channel
BFG 8800 GTX OC 768mb Ram - (600MHz Core Clock) (1800MHz Memory Clock) (1400MHz Shader Clock)
Vista 32bit
DAN CAVE Aug 03, 2004, 03:13pm EDT Report Abuse
Excactly its intermittant, and if the set up ive got here is anything to go by(one pc runs it the other does then crashes!) its about 50/50 whether a certain setup will run the game!
My copy is legit, but after an upgrade and reinstall my pal had to come round with his legit disc to get the damn thing back on my pc?
This just isnt an acceptable situation and EA should release a patch that sorts these issues out!
Unless the Incredible James saves us all! (NOT!)

Mohawk Aug 03, 2004, 03:25pm EDT Report Abuse
just a quick thought you ahve upgraded both generals and zero hour to the latest patches i think 1.07 and 1.02 maybe 1.04

Systems specs:

Intel Core 2 QUAD LGA775 Q6600 G0 @ 2.80GHz
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
2GB Corsair XMS2-6400C4 DDR2 Dual Channel
BFG 8800 GTX OC 768mb Ram - (600MHz Core Clock) (1800MHz Memory Clock) (1400MHz Shader Clock)
Vista 32bit
Joe PE Aug 03, 2004, 03:42pm EDT Report Abuse

DAN CAVE Aug 03, 2004, 04:42pm EDT Report Abuse
Hmm psu is ez cool ky-550 twin fan which i know is regarded as at least ok if not antec superb, but just tried Z.H. with agp fast write off, no crash! Am about to have a game on direct con with pal will let you know how it goes!

j m Aug 03, 2004, 05:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Did anyone else actually try that suggested fix listed a few posts up about the running the exe as a me compatibility instead of xp.... i mean if thats all it takes why not try it.. i wanna here some opnions or if it worked.

And reguarding the guy that posted 8 posts in a row against me... i didn't even bother to read them cuz it wasn't worth it.. what a waste of your time that was huh..

Brian Stewart Aug 03, 2004, 09:38pm EDT Report Abuse
I know why the fake serial does notr work:
Command and Conquer Games (Starting with Tiberian Sun I think)
have FOUR algorithms for cd keys:
1 to be valid for the installer
1 to be valid for online
1 to encrypt it in the registry (I think generals was the only one to have this)
and an extra one that activates after a few days. If the key is invalid, it will crash your game, or cause all your structures/units to blow up after a few minutes.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Tufti Kins Aug 04, 2004, 10:55am EDT Report Abuse
I would be interested to know it Dan's PC number 2 crashes with a serious error if he loads up the game save I posted several pages back. Here is the link again for fans of game crashes everywhere... http://www.btinternet.com/~lvlmaker/files/instant_serious_error.zip

As far as I know it has crashed every pc it has been loaded onto so far. Personaly I still think this is down to shoddy coding and not hardware problems.

DAN CAVE Aug 04, 2004, 02:42pm EDT Report Abuse
I loaded the game save, sure enough pc 2 crashed right after the load bar filled up! Played online direct on PC1 last night via direct con. first game crashed, so tried again turning a.v. off opponents were set on random so army was different but map the same and all settings played right through to the end no probs.
So will try out again this eve and let you know how it goes!

Snake Pliskan Aug 05, 2004, 12:16am EDT Report Abuse
regarding the no cd crack,the serial number,etc.I have it all.I have been playing for a couple of years with no problem and then I installed something,or changed something,and it started crashing which brought me to this site.I have since formatted my drive twice and the second time the game did not crash.Mysteriouss**t.At least I didn't waste my money on it! So I am not complaining .This site is also infected with the 'James Miller' virus.........the one who knows everything,his machine is ten feet tall and bulletproof,everybody else is full ofs**t,his game has never crashed but know's why everyone else's does etc.........you know the one...................

j m Aug 05, 2004, 12:44am EDT Report Abuse
maybe you should shut the f**k up cuz at least i try to get people to actually try stuff.. no one ever seems to post back results.. so just hold your toung bitch.... and go watch a soap or something.

Snake Pliskan Aug 05, 2004, 01:09am EDT Report Abuse
oooooooooo................the truth hurts little boy.................get a f**kin life..............talkin about bitches......if I got my f**kin hands on you, you would be a bitch...........

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.