Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 348 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:39am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Chuckie Miller Oct 28, 2004, 08:16pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
David, I will try anything. I had lost interest in this game because it would not load up for me. Thanks

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Predator Oct 28, 2004, 10:14pm EDT Report Abuse
Orlanod, I had this exact same message when I played Zero Hour. DOnt know how to get rid of it though...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Joshua Hakenholz Nov 11, 2004, 10:48pm EST Report Abuse
Hello all...

Well I have been having similar problems love the game... Sometimes when I am setting their waiting in quickmatch the screen will lock and sound also.. Bluh

Well I am running Amd Athlon 3200+ 64MB Machine with a Shuttle AN50R 2 512Mb sticks of Kingston Ram one 4000 and the other 3500... Video Card is Asylum MX440 SE... Sound Card Soundblaster Live 5.1

Latest Direct X.. All Drivers up to date... Got the screen refresh rate set to 75 HZ I believe...Oh and the drive is a Sata 120Gig Maxtor

I have tried everything under the sun... Well this is gonna seem odd... But I am running win XP and One day I decided to just hit the cntrl alt del, And I brought up the performance menu... Ok so I have another screen setting in the background ok well big deal... Well I left it setting back there and fired up the game, left it on the performance menu forgot all about it... Well needless to say I played the darn thing all night and didn't have one problem at all locking up.. Sorry Gramar is lazy and sloppy...

I don't know but I have been running it like that with out any problems... Knock On Wood... Why is that? Could it have something to do with the screen refresh rate problems in windows or what?

If someone else trys this and it works please respond... Thank You

Snake Pliskan Nov 16, 2004, 01:37pm EST Report Abuse
Wow......someone might have a solution here.........drivers are important for sure..........got so p**sed at the game I uninstalled it and haven't played for a few months.I'll install it when I get the chance and check this
possible solution.Had a different motherboard before.....the p4p8 series.Have an amd 64 bit now.Might make a difference.I'm surprised we haven't seen the JAMES MILLER....I'm better than you virus/trojan, jumping all over this fix.............

James Black Dec 12, 2004, 04:26pm EST Report Abuse
Hello,
I tried everything that you have said here software hardware etc. Only thing seems to work is that tweakXP memory optimizer if you set it up to optimize every 7 minutes you will get managed to play at the end.
I expect that EA will publish a fix soon. The Zero hour is a product that does not work for me and as i can read here neither for you. I suggest that everybody in this forum send a mail to EA complaining and asking for a fix or ask for our money back. We are customers we support this company and they should support the games they are selling.

Personally I'm not intentd to buy again an EA game since I bought a game that doesn't work out of the box and especially since they do not have a way to fix it!!!
Would you buy again EA game if they insist to not create a patch???

j m Dec 12, 2004, 05:32pm EST Report Abuse
too bad its not soley an ea problem.. its because it causes out of sync errors with your refresh rate.. also because it makes your video card run so hot it causes a crash. You obviously didn't read the whole forum cuz the fix has been posted so many times for a majority of what happens that its sick. Its not ea's fault you won't listen to the tips we gave... we never said it was just software.. its vcard, bios power settings, and psu problems. Has nothing to do with old fix's to the vcard drivers, or dx9 or windows xp... read up.. its already been fixed.

Ian Schade Dec 12, 2004, 09:00pm EST Report Abuse
HOw can this one topic have so many responses. And James Miller is right the answer has been posted many times before. Wow my post will make 334 posts I think. ANyway not many people will have read the whole thing so I'm not accusing anyone if they put an answer that's already posted.

James Black Dec 13, 2004, 06:25pm EST Report Abuse
Hello Again,
forgive me for asking again. but:
1) It's not a power problem ( Running with a Herolci 435W on amd 2600+ 1Gb Ram and Just 1 HD)
2) Since it's the same game engine with Generals and generals work
3) Checked and replace DDR modules just in case
4) tried diferent Graphic cards (but only Nvidia chipsets)
5) The game it self runs at 60Hz but anyway set my refresh rate at 75 and resoloution at 800x600
6) the game crashes the first 10 minutes sometimes and sometimes after 60 minutes
7) I installed and tried to run it in Windows Me fresh install instead of XP
8) I tried the refresh rate lock software
9) I installed the last nvdrivers and also tried the version 44.03 that someone mention that worked.
10) I tried in diferent computers with different OS and HW configs

Please if there is really a sollution that works please tell me.
Anyway why you defend EA so much?
Shouldn't the game work out of the box?
Do we have to spent our time to find how to fix it?
Isn't Ea's responsibility to give a patch for the game?

Thainx 4 UR Time....

James Ziemba Dec 30, 2004, 01:38am EST Report Abuse
I have been getting this error as long as I can remember, before I even hit start and most of the time about 5-10 minutes into the game. It's really amazing, I spend so much money on a pc to play games and when this game crashes and yet my dad has this old crappy computer thats probly worth 100 bucks that just sucks and it won't crash on it and he just got a new computer from dell(intel3.6, atiX800xt, gig of DDR533 dual channel, wd raptor 10k rpm) and it runs flawless with 8 hards and aboslute max settings, why do I have be the one that is screwwwed... and another strange thing that I don't know if anyone has had happen before is, when I play lan with about 4 other poeple mine will crash like normal and crash everyone elses at the exact same time(?)

I have...

VIA P4PB-FL
Intel P4 2.53GHz
ATi 9700 Pro
512mb DDR400 OCZ perfomance series
WD 80gb SE
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum

that crappy pc of my dads scores 6500 on 3dmark01
I get 13300
and my dads Dell gets 23300

James Black Dec 31, 2004, 01:58am EST Report Abuse
Well
It's normal if it crashes to your computer the same time to crash on all computers.... espesially if your have started the game... Tha fact that works on Dell amazes me... do you play an 8 players map with 7 hard enemys??? Usually it crashes there because of the huge number of units that being create by computer... If you try with medium oponnents there is no crash... Long live EA .... lol... Have a nice day...
By the way I gave up playing Zero Hour... Thainks EA for nothing!!!! No patch no reply nothing!!!

pimp star Dec 31, 2004, 10:20am EST Report Abuse
Hello....This is a great game. It obviously has significant bugs.... So, without reading all 500 posts (btw a good sign that this game is buggy) what should I try. I have other things on my mind...

Thanks for any help..

Everyone's favorite pimp.

Yuri Seci Jan 03, 2005, 12:32pm EST Report Abuse
Well. First off i want to say i enjoyed reading this form.
Keep the fire burning guy's :)
(And a little note to james miller. Steriods and anabolla will make you paranoide and sterile) :P

I tell you i dont have a sollution for you m8s here.
I have did some tests and solutions i thought would bring me closer, but as most of you allready noticed. Its not helping or reduces the problem, but doesnt fix it.
As so many people i send an email to EA, but it did get the same answer.
The answer that they tried to tell, is that it isnt cost effective to search for the solution.
It all has to do with money. I they invest, there has to income on the other end.
The time of service has come.. and gone.
Dont stop thinking about a solution. Because its a great game. But i only wanted to say that this problem goes way deeper inside the core of the game. The engine (already outdated when released) is so poorly made in commen standards, its cheaper to build a new game around a new engine and try to sqeeze the last penny out of older releases.

Grtz Yuri

If you dont know the solution to your problem. Just blame Bill Gates.
If you dont know the problem. Just blame your parents for not buying you a computer when you where young.

Andy Cr Jan 03, 2005, 12:54pm EST Report Abuse
I agree, the engine is at fault and EA have washed their hands on it now and moved on. What you may or may not know is that production is currently well under way on the next Generals which I hope (but don't know for certain) will be based around a whole new game engine. Don't have a release date but I would guess around Summer 2005 sometime.

Fingers crossed it keeps all the best elements of the current game whilst improving graphics and above all stability.

Mikey K Jan 04, 2005, 12:11am EST Report Abuse
Hi; I have 2 problems with zero hour; The first is the serious error message, which ended up being down to the zero hour reborn mod i installed, it didnt happen after i removed it.

The 2nd is that the game stutters half way through a skirmish level and its really annoying, ive put this down to zero hour itself, i think ea needs to sort out a patch because ive had this problem for ages (and so have ALOT of other people on the internet) and it doesnt appear to be solvable by any means, I have the latest patch, all the newest drivers and my system spec is way over there minimum, Stupid thing is that standard generals runs fine, without any slow down or stupid messages. Seems like they cant be bothered to support the game anymore as countless messages to their support team have resulted in the usual 'its ur fault not ours' routine.

I'm running ; P4 3.06Ghz, 1GB DDR400 (Matched pair), Geforce 6800 GT
The gpu is brand new and runs doom3 full detail on high res, but does zero hour run properly? does it hell lol. Got to the point now where ive removed zero hour completely and just have standard generals. Im open to suggestions but i really have tryed everything i can possibly think of

Tried with no luck ;
Processor ; HT On/Off
Changing Ram Timings
Checked Power Supply (400w no problem there)
Tried multiple GPU drivers
Updated Bios & Board Drivers
Tried Zero hour patchs 1.01 & 1.02
Put Graphics Options all the way down
Closed all Background tasks
In game processor, board & gpu temperatures are normal
Changed multiple options in game INI's

Conclusion ; Must be a bug inside the software

popi jopi Jan 07, 2005, 08:12pm EST Report Abuse
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I think i've got a real solution to the problem.

I often play some lan games with my friends, and almost everytime the game crashes with the data mismatch error. I've often gone nuts about this problem. You always build you're camp, make a lot of units, and then when the moment arrive's that you really can CRUSH you're opponent :), the bloody game stops with a mismatch error. :(. Now we all have different computers (pretty fast ones), so that won't be the problem. A friend of me has a amd64 , so at first we thought that was the problem..... not.

We tried all other solutions that we can find on the internet .... nothing helped. So , because we all have different computers, and we all had this problem , the only thing we had in common was the operating system. We all have XP. So what we did was run the game in windows 2000 compatibilty mode. (Right click you're zero hour shortcut --> properties --> compatibility --> "run this program in compatibility mode for windows 2000"). Also we have checked, turn off advanced text services for this program. In game , with the network options, we have checked on "send delay".

Now we played a lot of lan games without any problems. We played some extreme game's against eachother with a lot (and when I say a lot, I mean a lot :) ) of units. Game played perfect !!!!
Also we played a lot of games against some computer enemy's. Also those games went perfect !!!!.

So try it, and I like to here if it worked for you also !

Greets

Patrick

Robert Summerlin Jan 08, 2005, 11:19am EST Report Abuse
I am not sure if anyone has checked this out or not, but some developers that I work with suggested to try disabling sound. According to them, a lot of times, especially with onboard integrated sound cards, there are problems with the drivers, etc... I normally woudn't make too much of this, but I did have a similar problem related to sound with Diablo, I do run an integrated sound card (Gigabyte Triton motherboard), and I have noticed that when Generals Zero Hour is sluggish, the ONLY thing that keeps working seems to be the sound - it just made m wonder if those who say they are not experiencing the problems are running an Audigy board and the rest of us are not, etc....

Another thing they suggested was to make sure that if you upate the video dirvers, you also go get the latest DirectX update as well because newer drivers could cause a mismatch with an older DirectX version.. this should be obvious, but I would not have thought of it.

I haven't had a chance to try this out yet though. Maybe tonight...

Just my 2 cents

Rob Summerlin
Gigabyte Triton mb
Pentium P4 2.4gHz
2048 mb SDRAM
NVidia GeForce FX5700 Ultra video AGP 128 mb
Sony DRU-510A DVD/CD Burner

popi jopi Jan 08, 2005, 03:34pm EST Report Abuse
Hmm,

I have an audigy board, and still had the problem. And if I had to play the game without sound, i probably wouldn't playing it at all anymore. It would be like drinking a beer without alcohol.

Did you try my solution ?

Greets

Mikey K Jan 08, 2005, 05:45pm EST Report Abuse
Reply to Popi jopi;

I tried your idea about the compatibility modes and it didnt work unfortunatly, it still starts to lag 15 mins into the game (this is just normal skirmish mind not lan games)
However, i think you might be onto something along those ideas, Anyone using Windows 2000 or earlier windows getting the same slow downs, ive tried everything i can think of, if it isnt the game itself i bet it could be a windows xp problem.
I cant see it being sound related but ill give that a try shortly, i think if it was the game would lag all the way through.
Ahh well maybe you just need a multi processor server with 10 gig of ram to play this game properly?? lol

Mikey (UK)

P4 3.06 Ghz, 1gig DDR-RAM
Geforce 6800 GT 256 mb

popi jopi Jan 09, 2005, 06:52pm EST Report Abuse
Mike,

My proposal is a solution for the mismatch error while playing a lan game. So I'm sorry it didn't work with you're problem.

Greets

Rich Eiboff Jan 13, 2005, 02:04pm EST Report Abuse
So I was having problems with Half Life 2 like many others.(memory/stutter crash) One of their solutions was to move soundcard next to AGP(better memory transfer) I moved my Audigy and haven't crashed since.

I've tested with Generals and haven't crashed since. Has anyone else tried doing this? If so, did it work?

I've also noticed other programs that crashed on me (VirtualDub, Wavelab) don't crash anymore.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.