Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 398 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:54am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Scott Phillips Jan 20, 2005, 03:49pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
Had the same crash problems, Different errors some Times, Replaced different components on my computer but still kept crashing. Then I switched my memory dimms to different slots and have not had a problem since. DOES ANY ONE NO WHERE TO GET A MONEY PATCH FOR ZERO HOUR.

Scott

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mikey K Jan 21, 2005, 06:29am EST Report Abuse
Hi again ppl;

Ive tried messing with my memory, took all of it out and switched the slots, took just 512 out so dual channeling wouldn't work, even tried putting my old 333mhz sticks back in with no luck. Ive deleted zero hour now cos i cant be doing with it anymore, spent way much on my pc to get stupid ass slow downs on games that are sub-standard graphics, I suggest ppl give dawn of war a try, i have it, and it beats generals to the floor on graphics and gameplay, without the stupidy of lagging or crashing. Hope ea does a better job with next c&c game!

SaGE "Mikeyk"
P4 3ghz, 1gig ddr400, geforce 6800 gt

Mikey K Jan 21, 2005, 06:30am EST Report Abuse
And you may want to try gamecopyworld.com for trainer files (ur money patch), they usually have quite a few on there - Mikey

Carl Cipriani Jan 23, 2005, 08:03am EST Report Abuse
I have a lag problem, not a serious error, the way i see it.. this has no solution, the only time i have had ZH running with no lag was when i had an old AMD 1600 266mhz FSB processor and 2x256mb 266 RAM, as soon as i upgraded to a 2500 barton 333mhz/1x512mb 333mhz Ram, i started experiencing very bad lag. There is no way im going back to that, but it could of been any of things that i upgraded, i aalso formatted at this time and installed many new drivers that i had not got before. Recently I have upgraded to a comparative Uber Computer with the following specs

2x P4 3.06 GHZ
2x 1024mb RAM
Nvidia 6800GT
Audigy 2
etc..

This is a custom-made rig, that me and a few friends modified to get up to this speed, though, it is NOT overclocked.
Any other game in current existance run on this on high settings with no lag at all. Except ZH. Its NOT HUGELY laggy, but there is clearly some there. I dont think hardware is the problem, I think it is just poor programming that EA dont know how to fix, and I can only hope that somebody in the modding community can fix it, but I wouldnt hold my breath there As for me, I am continually fiddling around with the programming of the game, but as of yet, no luck. as soon as I do find a miracle cure, I will release information.

Mikey K Jan 23, 2005, 03:16pm EST Report Abuse
Dual pentium 4?? hmmmm ok then. But yeah thats pretty much the same problem everyone is getting

happy grewal Feb 05, 2005, 10:58pm EST Report Abuse
anyone who is having error message when u start the game. when u start the game the error will apear and it will say virus, overheat hardware etc. to fix it try this it work for me im not sure if it is going to work for u. to fix it try this. go to start clik on it then clik on search and clik on search all file and folder then tpye zero hour and press search. delete all those files for zero hour. after deleating it. then reinstall ur game again. it should work this time. the same error could happen again but wile ur are playing the game. this is what i did. least the game work now. email me at punjabi_man84118@yahoo.com if u got question. i hope this work for u guys

Snake Pliskan Feb 05, 2005, 11:57pm EST Report Abuse
...........ooooooooooohhhhh, theres a solution for all the advanced people ..................read the 18 pages before you make yourself look like a fool....................again..........email me at.... yathink?@anon.com

happy grewal Feb 07, 2005, 12:15pm EST Report Abuse
anyone having this problem. when i installed a mod to zero hour. after that i try to start the game but it keep saying error message. the game wont start. i delete the mod and the game start working. anyone know how i can have the mod and play the game without the error message. please help me send me email at punjabi_man84118@yahoo.com

James Black Feb 08, 2005, 02:41am EST Report Abuse
War hammer 40.000 is great I gave up Zero Hour Thainks to Mikey K. now I'm playing the Ultimate Strategy!
Great Graphics!
Great Sound!
Great Gameplay!
If you liked starcraft you gona love this!!! It's a Compination of Space Crusade (older people know what I'm Talking about) and starcraft!. Don't Worry it's A real time strategy!
Enjoy!!!

p.s.
EA is a big company but I wont be able to trust companys products again since no actuall support and patches has been released!
Sorry...
Thainks Mikey k.

j m Feb 08, 2005, 06:21am EST Report Abuse
Carl Cipriani, seriously why did you build a dual p4.. they don't even support the new 64 bit os microsoft relase and they're the ones that tell ya.. its right there in the literature on there site. Although the operton 64bit dual processor system does. And seriously why did you get it? You think it improves game performance by splitting the load ENNGGGGGG.. WRONG.. this is what you can do with dual processor.. run winamp, messengers, misc programs on a single processor by changin its affinity, and then just running the game off the other.. which works great somtimes.. OR rendering heavy graphics in maya or max or cinema 4d. Umn most applications don't support multithreading or don't have a need for it. Maybe video editing cutting formating splicings**t like that. Dude you just wasted so much money on a pentium system.. im going to bed laughing tonight.. i needed that.

Mikey K Feb 08, 2005, 06:44am EST Report Abuse
Oh dear.. i feel the age old intel vs amd argument coming on, please not again! we all have good
computers lets just leave it as that lol.

No probs about dawn of war! everyone else should try it, way better than generals!
MikeyK

Intel P4 3ghz
1Gig DDR400
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT

Brian Piscitelli Feb 15, 2005, 04:18am EST Report Abuse
>> "serious error message" - Getting th word out
I suppose if everyone here really wants there to be a solution or a fix to this problem, they should start submitting links to this forum! Start by going to all the CnC sites, Press = Power, and thats what big news site are, is online press. I dont imagine they will have a problem posting an issue releated to the game, that has effected soo many CnC fans. Always worth a shot. Nothing else as really fix the problem just work arounds.

Rick Edwards Feb 15, 2005, 01:01pm EST Report Abuse
The bottom line is simple, the game engine is faulty since its creation, It has absoulty NOTHING to do with user hardware. EA is either unable, or does not choose to correct the issue. They have so many games out there, they look at the fact, Why Bother??

I have owned this software since day one, and have purchased it many times for other computers that I work on, all being different config's, and EVERY one with same result.

I personally own a AMD 3200, on a Asus A7n8-E Deluxe Motherboard, w/ 1 G of Corsair memory, 550 W Antec PS, and a MSI Nvidia 5950 Video Card, and guess what, does the same thing, as everyone else who posted here./

I bet if most everone out there who bought the software, joined in a Class Action Lawsuit againest EA< they may change thier minds about releasing faulty software in the future, but more than likely that will never happen, and they will continue to produce inferior software

I do know that General 2 is in Beta right now, But I am NOT going to purchase it when it is relaesed, due to their Non-Caring customer Tech support.

Brian Piscitelli Feb 16, 2005, 04:49am EST Report Abuse
YES YES YES!!! u all may like! i was doing some reasearch!! and I REALLY HOPE THIS Post is RIGHT!!!

http://www.cnc-source.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=2745

I feel if this is correct... Our Problems shal be solved!!!!! Also if it wernt for us bit*h and moaners. There prolly wound not be something being done. Took them long enough!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey K Feb 16, 2005, 12:41pm EST Report Abuse
New zh patch? yeah right and im the queen of england haha.
I wouldnt be very hopeful if i was you, ive seen several technical replys from ea customer support saying they wouldnt be bringing out a new zero hour patch, So that post is pretty much lies i fear.

Mikey k

P4 3Ghz
1Gb ddr400
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT

DAN CAVE Feb 16, 2005, 06:02pm EST Report Abuse
MSI K7N2 DELTA 2 PLATINUM
HYPER 480W TYPE R PSU
AMD XP3200
1G CORSAIR 1024TWINX XMS PRO
CHAINTECH FX5900XT
2 X HITACHI 80G SATA HDD IN MIRRORED RAID
PHILLIPS 604 SOUNDCARD

HI ALL, IT'S BEEN AWHILE SINCE I LAST POSTED, BUT HERS THE LATEST WHERE I'M UP TO MAKE OF IT WHAT YOU WILL!
LAST TIME I POSTED I WAS RUNNING XP3200 ASROCK K7S8XE M.B. Q-TEQ 550W PSU 1G KINGSTON CL3 VALUE RAM SAME GRAPHICS CARD AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM SOUND CARD AND 1 60G WESTERN DIGITAL 8MEG HDD 1X 40G MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 9 HDD AS NORMAL EIDE HDD'S.
HAD USUAL ERROR WITH ZERO HOUR IN THE END SORTED BY RUNNING SYSTEM ON FAIL SAFE DEFAULTS IN BIOS AND GAME WAS RUNNING OK FOR A WHILE HENCE NOT BEING IN THIS FORUM FOR A WHILE AS ALTHOUGH THIS WORKED OK FOR ME I DOUBT ITS GONNA BE A FIX FOR
MANY OTHERS! ( ALTHOUGH WHY NOT TRY SEE WHAT HAPPENS?)
ANYWAY LONG STORY SHORT A MONTH OR SO AGO MY PC FELL OVER BIGTIME NOT JUST ZH BUT WAS GETTIN BLUE SCREENS THE LOT! AND AS YOU CAN SEE ABOVE IVE BASICALLY GOT A NEW SYSTEM APART FROM CPU AND G/CARD (ALSO HAD A GIGABYTE RZ 7VT600 M.B. BUT WAS GETTIN BLUE SCREEN ON WIN XP INSTALL!)
ALTHOUGH AT FIRST THE NEW SET UP WAS STILL CRASHING ON Z.H AND HAVING A FEW OTHER UNRELATED NIGGLES WHICH I SORTED RESONABLY QUICK BUT COULDNT GET Z.H.RUNNING PROPERLY.
ANYWAY STARTED WATHING TEMPS CLOSELY DECIDING TO TAKE THE ERROR MESSSAGE AT FACE VALUE, STRIPPED DOWN ENTIRE SYSTEM, REBUILT MAKING SURE I USED PLENTY OF THERMAL COMPOUND ON THE CPU.
TEMPS DOWN AROUND 6-7 DEGREES CENT WHEN RUNNING GAME AND GUESS WHAT 3 EVENINGS IN A ROW NOW HAVE PLAYED SKIRMISH NO PROBS ON MAX SETTINGS (ALTHOUGH ON THE ODD MOD OR ORIGINAL MAP IT CAN STUTTER A BIT BUT NO CRASH) AND TONIGHT IT RAN FINE WITH HIGH PERFORMANCE OVERCLOCK SETTINGS IN MY M.B.'S BIOS SETTINGWITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!
MY CONCLUSION IS TWO FOLD THAT GENERALS AND Z.H. ARE MEMORY HUNGERY AND WILL USE ALL THAT IS AVAILABLE TO IT AND THAT (IN MY CASE) MAKES THE CPU RUN VERY HOT AT TIMES WHICH COULD CAYSE THE ERROR TO BE WHAT IT SAYS REGARDING OVERHEATED HARDWARE ESPECIALLY IF LIKE ME YOU'RE RUNNING ABOVE AMD XP2800 OR ALSO HIGHER SPEED P4 CPU
ALSO AS HAS BEEN REPORTED BY ME (2ND MACHINE GIGABYTE M.B. 4X AGP 512M SDRAM AMD XP2200 GEFORCE MX440 G/CARD 40G HDD, NO PROBS WITH Z.H/GENERLS ALL THIS TIME!) OTHERS SLOWER MACHINES DON'T SEEM TO SUFFER THIS PROBLEM!
SO CHECK YOUR COOLING AND CPU TEMPS, ADD MORE THERMAL COMPOUND IF YOUR RUNNING NEWER,FASTER (= HOTTER) SYSTEMS IT MAY SOLVE THE PROB, IT DID MINE!

Rick Edwards Feb 16, 2005, 08:59pm EST Report Abuse
Excellent theroy, but since I run a watercooled system, where my temps are around 25 C, I think that is not the answer ;-)

Just a faulty game engine is the simpliest answer ;-)

Brian Stewart Feb 16, 2005, 09:27pm EST Report Abuse
Yet it runs fine for me, my girlfriend, my rommate, and a dozen people in my college.

It's hardware.

Power supply, graphics card overheating, and the refresh rate issue.

Why does Generals work but not Zero Hour?
Zero Hour adds some new effects to the engine which or very taxing on the system.

If it were software, it wouldn't work for anyone.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Mikey K Feb 17, 2005, 12:22am EST Report Abuse
>> ...
Nah i thought of temp problems age's ago, i ran thermal tests during the game to see if it was due to thermal throttling or just overheat and it wasnt, It isnt memory either because ive monitored free memory during game and i always have at least 400meg free.
IT ISNT HARDWARE!! ITS EA MAKING CRAP GAMES LOL!

I dont get crash problems unless i install certain mods (zero hour reborn for example is a bitch for creating crash problems) however i did get alot of stuttering on certain skirmish maps, infact if any of you can play twilight flame with 3 opponents without it stuttering 30 mins in, ill eat my gfx card lol. If it is hardware then you must need a super computer to play this game because i have a relatively fast comp and it still stutters on certain skirmish maps (even though i can play half life 2 max gfx fine)

Mikeyk

Intel P4 3ghz
1 Gig DDR400
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256Gddr3

James Black Feb 17, 2005, 02:46am EST Report Abuse
19 pages and we keep talking... theories....
The fact is that I have not met another game that faulty.... Have you??? ever before???
Ok if the game is loading too much my cpu or my gpu it should be slow... but crashing???? and all the people even the internet cafe that has more than 300 pc systems configured with the latest hardware just for big lan games keep crashing when running EA's f#cking game!!! No I'm afraid it's not hardware... allow not to be fooled by ea! No game of EA's worth paying my money again!
Just for my friends here that wrote that the game works for him... please notice that the game crashes playing vs the hardest AI enemy especially if you deside to play 2 humans vs 6 computers players in the most dificult level...
Sorry for writting again that I'm very angry with EA and the way they tread us!!! There are forums all over the WEB talking about this... EA KNOWS!!! and they keep closing their ear!!!

let them be... not buying ea's game for some time will let them not be!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.